Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

BUSTIN BUSTIN BUSTIN BUSTIN BUSTIN

FEEL GOOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
What the hell is that anyway? I went to the website and it and wasn't clear wtf that is. Some VR poo poo?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

deoju posted:

What the hell is that anyway? I went to the website and it and wasn't clear wtf that is. Some VR poo poo?

I don't think so. Looks pretty straightforward that it's a multiplayer game like how Friday the 13th is, where a team of players goes up against one other player. :shrug:

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Friday the 13th is such a fun game. But the thing there is that Jason is super powerful compared to camp counsellors. Ghosts and Ghostbusters are more on an even keel so I wonder if they'll make it more of a 4 v 4 scenario. Looks like it has potential though, it very much feels of a piece with the Ghostbusters: The Video Game in terms of look.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

It's basically Gmods Prop Hunt but the props fight back

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

None of the games ever seem to unseat Dead by Daylight, so here's hoping. Competition is good.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVXUR1y245I

Hopefully this'll mean more Murraycane stories will be out there.

Also lol that he is still using a blackberry. Not like a mean lol, like lol that he is an eccentric.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

gregday posted:

I need to find some leather strip for it and it needs a lot more black weathering, but this is fun. Really whistles too!

I wanted a place to show this off but my 3d printer and I made this

Next step is a trap.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

Next step is a trap.

hell yes. Very nice.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Nice. How did you do the lighting?

This dude has 3d files available for the trap and sells kits with the other parts available.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CharlesworthDynamics?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=710349193

More info: https://www.tested.com/making/how-tos/567320-inside-electronics-3d-printed-ghost-trap/

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwsDK_kSdPU

I can't swear to the quality because I haven't used it myself, but he does seem through.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yeah I've been following his stuff. I have it all 3D printed and am assembling it. Learning more Arduino to get some of the moving parts done because I want it to open and play sounds and lights and send out smoke when you press the pedal. The lights were from a kit you can buy from GBFans which is a nice spot because I didn't want to deal with the sound board too.

Here's a vid I made while I was still assembling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nas2dONXBlg

Edit: and because branding is important here's what the back of the sound and light boards look like:

And the back of the led mounts for the cyclotron:

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 31, 2022

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Push El Burrito posted:

Next step is a trap.

Holy. poo poo.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
We're getting another Ghostbusters film

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I want to be excited about this, but a) I already assumed it was happening and b) I guess I finally just don't really care that much :negative:

I'll never stop loving the first two films, as well as a good portion of the cartoon, but beyond that, this might as well be any other sci fi franchise. And frankly, I'm kind of franchised out. Between Marvel and Star Wars, it's just too much. And I don't even watch either of those series; I'm tired of it all from an outsider.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Cool. I hope it tries walking on it's own feet.

gregday
May 23, 2003

What I got from that article is that Reitman is out, which gives me little hope.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
They had no choice really. They weren't going to start from scratch yet again, especially with how much nostalgia equity they used up on Afterlife. Like, you can't just do another Ghostbusters reboot thing where you reference Harold Ramis and expect people to get all emotional about it again, you did that already and you attached Egon's legacy as a character to these new people.

The only option other than to followup Afterlife would've just been to let Ghosbusters lie dormant for a decade or so, and that's not a realistic option given how these properties work and how important it is that they maintain relevancy so the toys and merch can be consistently sold even in years when there's no new movie.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

How about if they made a Ghostbusters movie where the main characters of Ghostbusters were the main characters?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

How about if they made a Ghostbusters movie where the main characters of Ghostbusters were the main characters?

A Ghostbusters movie where every scene features one of the Ghostbusters saying something offscreen and getting the big surprise nostalgic cameo reveal where the camera lingers on them and the Elmer Bernstein score is reprised.

This happens every single time one of the Ghostbusters is in a scene even though they are the main characters and the movie is six hours long as a result.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Whenever Bill Murray’s not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, “where’s Bill Murray?”

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
"We didn't even have to script this scene. The camera started rolling and nobody knew where Bill was. We weren't sure if he was even still on the project. Its amazing how well it worked for the story we wanted to tell."

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
They will reboot Ghostbusters forever if this new film bombs. It is crazy the fan base is so blind to the indifference of quality attached to the brand. They will literally sign off the GB logo being used on anything to make money. I am not invested in a new film but hope it really breaks away and stands on it's own feet.

On social media the majority of the fan reaction was 'the old team need to be in it :bahgawd: ' as if they didn't looked ancient enough in Afterlife. The only way out of this is a quality product that completely breaks from the originals whilst acknowledging them I think.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Surprised Afterlife was considered a success when it made less than the original did in straight up dollars and made less than a 1/3 when adjusting for inflation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Murray is always the problem, nobody ever has to wonder about if Aykroyd or Ernie Hudson are gonna actually want to be there or if they're going to give it their best if/when they do agree to appear in a movie.

The funny thing is the Venkman character is set up perfectly for him to just.....not be there. You really don't need much story justification for it at all, just say he hosed off to Cancun or something. Winston and Ray can run the Ghostbusters just fine without him.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Bacon Terrorist posted:

On social media the majority of the fan reaction was 'the old team need to be in it :bahgawd: ' as if they didn't looked ancient enough in Afterlife.

Oh OK then they should cancel the new film two video games and just flush the loving IP down the toilet. God I'm tired of the greater GB "fan" base's take on needing the old crew.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My neutrona wand I bought online was supposed to ship in December and instead shipped early and is arriving today, I’m pretty stoked :toot: :woop:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Venkman had the biggest laugh in Afterlife. It also seems kinda gross and wrong to be like "these guys look old, get them the gently caress off my screen"

Like you couldn't mine comedy or tell a compelling story about the old ghostbusters

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alan_Shore posted:

Venkman had the biggest laugh in Afterlife. It also seems kinda gross and wrong to be like "these guys look old, get them the gently caress off my screen"

Like you couldn't mine comedy or tell a compelling story about the old ghostbusters

It's a "is the juice worth the squeeze?" situation. Because yea, of course Bill Murray is always going to be able to show up for a day and deliver a one-liner or two, and it'll be funny. Nobody is saying he isn't funny. But when you act like he's the sun and the entire franchise orbits around him, you end up with awkward contrived stuff like what we got in Afterlife. And don't get me wrong, as a lifelong fan I couldn't help but feel good during those scenes at certain moments, but you can't tell me that the movie wouldn't have been better off with the freedom to do it's own thing without the baggage of having to fit a 5 minute cameo in during what's supposed to be the climax.

Now, if all the sudden Bill Murray is all-in and wants to actually be a part of things and do what most other actors do when they are a main role in a movie, that's one thing. But this never-ending game of having to bend over backwards to get him to agree to appear for 5 minutes of screentime is a lead weight on Ghostbusters preventing us from getting more interesting stuff.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I hope the next movie is about Vigo showing up and then they have to use a dualsense controller to pilot the Statue of Liberty and break into Freedom Tower.

Xenomrph posted:

My neutrona wand I bought online was supposed to ship in December and instead shipped early and is arriving today, I’m pretty stoked :toot: :woop:

Which kind didja get?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Push El Burrito posted:

I hope the next movie is about Vigo showing up and then they have to use a dualsense controller to pilot the Statue of Liberty and break into Freedom Tower.

Which kind didja get?

This:

Shop Ghostbusters Plasma Series Spengler’s Neutrona Wand Premium Collectible Ghostbusters: Afterlife at Hasbro Pulse. https://hasbropulse.com/products/ghostbusters-plasma-series-spengler-s-neutrona-wand-premium-collectible-ghostbusters-afterlife

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Alan_Shore posted:

I love the actors, but these people want just the old team. Over and over again. Forever. 'Let's see Peter and Dana's story!' If the studio made a new film with the old team that was a GB 2 style 'exact same script different villain' effort they would watch them forever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I hope the orange tip is easily removed. :ohdear:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The_Doctor posted:

I hope the orange tip is easily removed. :ohdear:

Even if it’s not, I’m confident I can use my miniature paints and paint right over it.
I’m also not sure how much of a “running change” the orange tip will be and if mine will have it, my wand was supposed to ship in like December and instead it shipped this week, so I dunno what batch mine is from.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

It's a "is the juice worth the squeeze?" situation. Because yea, of course Bill Murray is always going to be able to show up for a day and deliver a one-liner or two, and it'll be funny. Nobody is saying he isn't funny. But when you act like he's the sun and the entire franchise orbits around him, you end up with awkward contrived stuff like what we got in Afterlife. And don't get me wrong, as a lifelong fan I couldn't help but feel good during those scenes at certain moments, but you can't tell me that the movie wouldn't have been better off with the freedom to do it's own thing without the baggage of having to fit a 5 minute cameo in during what's supposed to be the climax.

Now, if all the sudden Bill Murray is all-in and wants to actually be a part of things and do what most other actors do when they are a main role in a movie, that's one thing. But this never-ending game of having to bend over backwards to get him to agree to appear for 5 minutes of screentime is a lead weight on Ghostbusters preventing us from getting more interesting stuff.

No, it was that low-key "bravo" after Ray's speech.

Absolutely, Murray has to want to do it. Otherwise, it's pointless.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I love the actors, but these people want just the old team. Over and over again. Forever. 'Let's see Peter and Dana's story!' If the studio made a new film with the old team that was a GB 2 style 'exact same script different villain' effort they would watch them forever.

I like GB2. If we got something like GB2 with the OG cast I'd be really happy!

Here's the thing a lot of people and the studios don't get, and it's really obvious when you think about it:

Ghostbusters isn't the ghosts, or the proton packs, or the Ecto 1, or Staypuft. The clue is right there in the title. Ghostbusters is Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd, Harold Ramis, and Ernie Hudson. You can't just make a film with proton packs and say "Ghostbusters!" That's why they fail, and will always fail.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
If the writers on the new movie create an interesting story that works in such a way that it includes Ray Stantz and/or Winston Zeddemore in a smooth logical way, bonus. This is not how it worked in Afterlife. Changing Ray's character and motivation as such that he just gives up on Egon made no sense and it feels like character motivations were shuffled around haphazardly while writing the script.

It was nice to see them, but they were absolutely shoehorned into the last act. I feel like I don't need to see Venkman ever again; he keeps hammering that one note joke of a personality over and over and I hate it. The franchise is so ripe for interesting original stories that don't need to include the original crew out of some sort of noble obligation and the fact that we keep seeing the original story remixed and recreated is pretty depressing. I am excited for them to try something Actually New™ with the franchise, please. Bring back Podcast and give him a real name this time thanks.

Also while they shouldn't lean on it so hard they should absolutely be diving into the comics and cartoons for plot/villain ideas similar to what Marvel has done with their comics for the MCU and the fact that they haven't figured this out yet is mind boggling.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 27, 2022

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I hope Muncher and Slimer get together.

Xenomrph posted:

Even if it’s not, I’m confident I can use my miniature paints and paint right over it.
I’m also not sure how much of a “running change” the orange tip will be and if mine will have it, my wand was supposed to ship in like December and instead it shipped this week, so I dunno what batch mine is from.

The gbfans forums has a lot of mods for the different things you can buy so I'm sure they have one to easily get rid of that. A friend of mine is doing a teardown of a pack to put on his wall based off the Afterlife stuff so that'll be fun to see once it's done.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Push El Burrito posted:

I hope Muncher and Slimer get together.

The gbfans forums has a lot of mods for the different things you can buy so I'm sure they have one to easily get rid of that. A friend of mine is doing a teardown of a pack to put on his wall based off the Afterlife stuff so that'll be fun to see once it's done.

I’ve got the Haslab proton pack on order, I’m definitely looking forward to it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Ghostbusters game was a really solid late 'Ghostbusters 3' with the whole original cast in it. I finally watched the trailer to the new 4v1 game and it is obviously heavily inspired by it in how everything looks and the quick bit in the ghost dimension.

I had a weird dream last night where I was on set for a sequel to 2016 they also decided to make.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve got the Haslab proton pack on order, I’m definitely looking forward to it.

Heck yeah. And it's got the tube. And look at you scrubs with the orange tip. Real OGBs got the silver head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

text me a vag pic posted:

Heck yeah. And it's got the tube. And look at you scrubs with the orange tip. Real OGBs got the silver head.

I just opened mine up and it DOES NOT have an orange tip. I win! :toot: