Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna ask for a loving raise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Escape From Noise posted:

I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna ask for a loving raise.

If they won’t give it to you, it’s an employee market out there, start job searching

I’m gonna do that this weekend

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

why does the chief of police turn sensitive data in to the county via unencrypted emails sent from his hotmail account :catstare:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

We'll see. The only opportunities in my field I know of would require a move and it'd probably be better to stay until my visa gets renewed. It's been a while and I've gotten this drat brewery off the ground once they got the license so...hell.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Well folks, two significant things happened this week:

1. My work forced all of us back into the office on at least a 50% basis

2. My work is about to become my former work, because I just received and accepted an offer for a new position that is twice the salary and full remote, starting in two weeks

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I share a partitioned double office with an engineer who is kinda my boss. We have a freight rail spur behind the building and there was some train action today. I expressed regret that missed out on getting some flattened coins for my kid. He said "that seems like a good way to derail a train."

So I looked it up because the guy is an engineer and maybe he....

Oh, no, train don't care about coin.

He's also unvaxxed and libertarian so I don't know what I expected.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Tinestram posted:

2. My work is about to become my former work, because I just received and accepted an offer for a new position that is twice the salary and full remote, starting in two weeks

hell yea, congrats!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

DiHK posted:

I share a partitioned double office with an engineer who is kinda my boss. We have a freight rail spur behind the building and there was some train action today. I expressed regret that missed out on getting some flattened coins for my kid. He said "that seems like a good way to derail a train."

So I looked it up because the guy is an engineer and maybe he....

Oh, no, train don't care about coin.

He's also unvaxxed and libertarian so I don't know what I expected.

every single libertarian engineer i've ever worked with has been, at best, barely competent at their job

one of them showed me his illegally carried gun once

another, different one killed himself in the parking lot during lunch one day out of the blue. we got to go home early that day

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

every single libertarian engineer i've ever worked with has been, at best, barely competent at their job

one of them showed me his illegally carried gun once

another, different one killed himself in the parking lot during lunch one day out of the blue. we got to go home early that day

Potential for a dark comedy-farce where someone working at $megacorp has to depress enough co-workers that one of them kills themselves every day for a week to cover for a friend's absence.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tinestram posted:

What's up double your salary and going full remote buddy.

:hfive:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Tinestram posted:

:nice:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I asked a higher-up manager who's involved with the restaurant about having a one on one sit-down. I didn't say why. Apparently he's very nervous. I guess he thinks I'm really angry? I know I can come off that way. I know I probably sound that way ITT, and yeah, I get upset and annoyed at stuff but I'm alright overall. Just need to blow off steam. I think maybe he thinks I'm going to quit, or threatening to? I'm not sure if that works to my favor since I don't really have anything lined up ATM. I do think this guy is alright and at least understands my importance in making this brewery function on like a basic level, but I worry that a fair amount of the managers don't understand the industry or brewing at all and think they can just send someone off to do some training at another brewery for a month or two and slot them into my position.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Atopian posted:

Potential for a dark comedy-farce where someone working at $megacorp has to depress enough co-workers that one of them kills themselves every day for a week to cover for a friend's absence.

I'm 90% sure this is basically the plot of a 90s college comedy.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lol. Apparently there's some drama in the Kansai beer scene surrounding one of the bigger annual events here.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Lol. Apparently there's some drama in the Kansai beer scene surrounding one of the bigger annual events here.

Don't keep us in suspense!! :allears:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Pyrtanis posted:

Don't keep us in suspense!! :allears:

It's pretty dumb. But basically there's a big craft beer event here in Osaka every year (except for the last two years) that's put on by the Osaka Brewer's Association and they invite all of the craft breweries in Kansai (the Kansai region contains the prefectures of Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Wakayama, Shiga, and Hyogo). Breweries don't apply or anything for an invite. They will invite you automatically if you are a brewery in Kansai not owned by a major beer company and have gotten your brewing license even within a couple months of the event. This isn't an invitational. That's not the point. It's meant to be for promoting the local scene, and I think is a very good way of helping new, and especially smaller breweries access a wider audience than they might normally be able to. The event's organizer has been doing it for years and, frankly, I think works her loving rear end off to put it all together and gets very little praise for it. Again, this is not an exclusive event, and it was never meant to be. There are invitational events as well. This just is not that kind of beer event.

Anyways, this one brewery is apparently boycotting the event because there are too many not "real" craft beer places there pouring "mediocre beer". He's also really buttmad that a former employee will be there for the brewery he started. I guess he quit really quickly. Apparently everyone does. You know, you just can't find good help these days. I also find it funny that this guy is taking this stance when their beer is what I would call "agressively mediocre" and the guy has a very corporate approach to his brewery. Apparently, he refuses to make any beer that takes more than three weeks to complete in order to maximize product output. I mean that's fine. But he literally wrote the business plan for this place for his MBA course so it's a very business first kind of brewery. Also, this event has always been all inclusive since it started, with plenty of bad to mediocre breweries attending, so it's not like this is new. Also plenty owned by larger restaurants, etc. in the past. I thought maybe Spring Valley (owned by Kirin) would be there but from what I can tell, they aren't. So suddenly taking a "stance" on this seems more than a little precious to me and misses the point of the event almost entirely.

Edit: I do wish I was able to make my former boss so mad at my attendance that they'd ragequit an event.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 29, 2022

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

It's pretty dumb. But basically there's a big craft beer event here in Osaka every year (except for the last two years) that's put on by the Osaka Brewer's Association and they invite all of the craft breweries in Kansai (the Kansai region contains the prefectures of Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Wakayama, Shiga, and Hyogo). Breweries don't apply or anything for an invite. They will invite you automatically if you are a brewery in Kansai not owned by a major beer company and have gotten your brewing license even within a couple months of the event. This isn't an invitational. That's not the point. It's meant to be for promoting the local scene, and I think is a very good way of helping new, and especially smaller breweries access a wider audience than they might normally be able to. The event's organizer has been doing it for years and, frankly, I think works her loving rear end off to put it all together and gets very little praise for it. Again, this is not an exclusive event, and it was never meant to be. There are invitational events as well. This just is not that kind of beer event.

Anyways, this one brewery is apparently boycotting the event because there are too many not "real" craft beer places there pouring "mediocre beer". He's also really buttmad that a former employee will be there for the brewery he started. I guess he quit really quickly. Apparently everyone does. You know, you just can't find good help these days. I also find it funny that this guy is taking this stance when their beer is what I would call "agressively mediocre" and the guy has a very corporate approach to his brewery. Apparently, he refuses to make any beer that takes more than three weeks to complete in order to maximize product output. I mean that's fine. But he literally wrote the business plan for this place for his MBA course so it's a very business first kind of brewery. Also, this event has always been all inclusive since it started, with plenty of bad to mediocre breweries attending, so it's not like this is new. Also plenty owned by larger restaurants, etc. in the past. I thought maybe Spring Valley (owned by Kirin) would be there but from what I can tell, they aren't. So suddenly taking a "stance" on this seems more than a little precious to me and misses the point of the event almost entirely.

Edit: I do wish I was able to make my former boss so mad at my attendance that they'd ragequit an event.

Ooooh, someone put on their tanty panties! I hope everyone else does a :rolleyes::fh: and it doesn't spiral into anything dumb. Thanks for the tea sharing!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

rotinaj posted:

The fact that I’m making better pay than I ever have before,
Right up until they start having cash flow issues.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Surely you want the bad beers there so yours looks better by comparison?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Atopian posted:

Dead Man On Campus 2: Now it's personnel

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

Surely you want the bad beers there so yours looks better by comparison?

Honestly I think it's good for everyone to have some all inclusive events. I think the real reason is his former employee being there but I don't know. From what I can gather everyone else is like "Okay. Whatever."

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

Right up until they start having cash flow issues.

When I don’t get paid, I don’t show up to work the next day

But that’s a very good point and I’m gonna be jobsearching this weekend and in the near future, I gotta get out of here.

Edit: my boss, who was hired one week before me, has been on my rear end to finish doing a specific small project asap

The small project is a task I have no written instructions for. I did it two weeks ago and got bad results, but the data analysis person was off all of last week. She came back, looked at my results, and said they weren’t good. Okay. So the dude training me gets to show me how to do it more specifically.

We started it at 2, and he hosed it up three times during the process, to the point that we needed to start over. He hadn’t finished it by the time I left at 5.

:negative:

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 29, 2022

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Splicer posted:

Dead Man On Campus 2: Now it's personnel

Amazingly, 1998 saw the release of both Dead Man on Campus and Dead Man's Curve.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Man_on_Campus

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Curve_(1998_film)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

Not my work, but my interviewing: scheduling call number five of this goddamn interview process for a job I probably won't even end up taking because of conditions that weren't advertised up front. Just give an offer or some form of closure already, going over the same points and questions repeatedly with multiple people who are sharing notes is not helping anyone.

But hey, they're the only ones even giving me the time of day out of anywhere I've applied at to get out of this shithole, so sure, I'll entertain it until an offer or rejection happens.

Followup: of course he managed to time the call right when I had apartment maintenance here that I needed to talk to (and couldn't, because I couldn't put the guy on extended hold), all for a ~30 minute call rereading the same goddamn ground that's been trodden for the last 3 calls. Offer one way or another early next week, but from every red flag this guy has raised (while joking he's "trying to talk me out of it" alternately with being very excited and eager), the company is a shitshow and we'd be catching every goddamn role in the company. Plus a few hour-and-a-half-across-a-time-zone-each-way commutes a month, which at least is better than the initial "can you do a couple days in office a week".

I'm almost certainly not taking it. I appreciate the offer of 50-75% over what I'm getting paid now but I do not appreciate it enough for all the bullshit that it sounds like is coming down the pipe if I do.

Onward with searching for literally anything with zero luck so far, I guess.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
-

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Interview with an Agile Coach in 2022 - Sprint2

Lol, this one starts off real strong.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Watching this for one minute, I can't tell if it's a parody or not.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Watching this for one minute, I can't tell if it's a parody or not.

"We call that SCRUM, but that's because of my definition."

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m not smart enough to be a real keyboard touched but I imagine be summed it up pretty succinctly within about 30 seconds. “There wasn’t really anything wrong” and “We solved a problem we didn’t even know we had.”

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

If you add a beard and about 400 lbs that would be the SCRUM master from my last job to a T.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Someone suggested blocking off time in your calendar to have time to do work instead of constantly getting interrupted prepping to go to or coming out of meetings.

They went further to suggest everyone on their team was blocking off the same hours so they could all be productive at the same time and keep their scrums out of each each others way.

Then they said wouldnt it be great if the whole org did this?!? So much productivity!

There was a general feeling of positivity, as if something genuinely good was happening.

Then some rear end in a top hat reminded everyone that time zones were a thing, and that effectively this would require everyone to take meetings at 6 am or 9 pm to work around everyone elses time zones and productivity time.

I said “ why dont we just not have meetings ever and just handle it all through topic specific slack channels or something?” And everyone laughed hhahahahahahha yeah thad be great right ?!!?

I wasnt joking. :(

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Good effort, you almost managed to use project management to improve project management by removing project management. Unfortunately project management got in the way.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
I tried. :shrug:

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Outrail posted:

Good effort, you almost managed to use project management to improve project management by removing project management. Unfortunately project management got in the way.

I’m the 4th project manager on my project. The initial project manager put in writing that we’d save a lot of money by not paying for project management. Project has not gone well

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

President wants to thank us for our hard work and dealing with multiple software integrations in a short timeframe.

Bonus? Paid lunch? Let us dip early and pay us?

Of course not! It will be a fun, interactive activity on Teams! Basically my exact nightmare scenario. Even better, is is scheduled for 4:00 on a Friday afternoon.

Really sucks that I have therapy that day precisely at 5 and will have to miss it!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I don't see why fresh_cheese can't suggest 'how about we have 3 hours a day blocked off as 'zero meetings allowed' time to let staff focus on work.

Critical posted:

President wants to thank us for our hard work and dealing with multiple software integrations in a short timeframe.

Bonus? Paid lunch? Let us dip early and pay us?

Of course not! It will be a fun, interactive activity on Teams! Basically my exact nightmare scenario. Even better, is is scheduled for 4:00 on a Friday afternoon.

Really sucks that I have therapy that day precisely at 5 and will have to miss it!

:commissar:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Mandatory weekly meetings about imaginary problems instead of solving real problems. We have one third the staff we're supposed to have. The added stress is making yet another guy quit. So the problem continues to compound on itself. No end in sight. :allears:

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Outrail posted:

I don't see why fresh_cheese can't suggest 'how about we have 3 hours a day blocked off as 'zero meetings allowed' time to let staff focus on work.

:commissar:

Another time, many years ago a big VP with clout made a “no meetings on friday unless there is a VP there in the meeting with you.”

There was much rejoicing from the people who do work.

There was much grumbling from the project managers and middle management, but they went along with it.

For 4 weeks i think.

“But this meeting is critical! The business needs this status so we can roll that up for director 4 to report to little VP 12 on monday first thing!!! And fridays are the only time anyone has available now!!!! And you cant give little VP 12 stale status from Thursday that does not include what got done on friday!!!!!!!!!!!!”

So it goes.

It was a nice 4 weeks tho.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

MarxCarl posted:

If you add a beard and about 400 lbs that would be the SCRUM master from my last job to a T.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo3cL4nrGOk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Oh gently caress, he had a pet java script project of a JIRA front end that kept breaking. It's tag line was "JIRA Tools that work". This guy needs to also talk about his personal hygiene and how lovely he treats his kids and it's him.