Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Motronic posted:

I've seen 15.5, 16 and 23 before, but that's specialty stuff. Just use a 2x4 or something as a guide, compact it down with your foot and the guide and cut it with a razor knife. You can peel some facing off of the cut side to use for stapling (so cut to the width you need to span with the facing, not just cavity width).

I dunno if I understand what you're saying about the facing. Do you mean peel back the facing so I'm cutting just the insulation down to 17 inches, then use the 24in wide facing for stapling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NotNut posted:

I dunno if I understand what you're saying about the facing. Do you mean peel back the facing so I'm cutting just the insulation down to 17 inches, then use the 24in wide facing for stapling?

Sorry, that wasn't clear.

Basically, cut it 3/4 to 1" wider than the cavity so you have enough facing left over on the cut side. It gives you enough to peel back to staple to your stud/joist/whatever. And yeah, that makes it a bit compacted, but not enough for any real harm.

I just cut it from the facing side.

Old school insulation guys had huge scissors and could cut that stuff perfectly by eye right under the facing and then cut the facing longer but f that noise.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

5 months in and having similar intrusive thoughts

Anything that sounds remotely like dripping water wakes me up from a dead sleep

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

theflyingexecutive posted:

:hfive:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Not empty quoting but yeah

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I caught a pinhole leak in the wall behind my fridge probably within an hour of it starting because of my keen hearing and that’s only made it worse lol

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I was going to make a comment about how I, too, am experiencing water issues, then I realized that a huge percentage of home owning bullshit is water bullshit.

I thought it was the washing machine, which would have sucked! But it wasn't, it's the wall leaking water. :geno: So now I have two questions. What do I do with this crack? It's pretty long - at least 2-3 feet, but very narrow. It goes way down from that photo. Is it narrow enough that I can just inject some sort of sealant, or is any basement cracking time to all a professional? And if I am fixing it myself, how the gently caress do I deal with that blanket insulation? It's anchored in a way that doesn't seem particularly removable, but I don't know anything about anything. Picture of an anchor attached.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What's the best way to remove about 60 SQ ft of porcelain floor tile? Demo hammer?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

brugroffil posted:

What's the best way to remove about 60 SQ ft of porcelain floor tile? Demo hammer?

Yep, rent it from Home Depot (along with the bit). Make sure you've got all the PPE (glasses, hearing, respirator)

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Boxman posted:

I was going to make a comment about how I, too, am experiencing water issues, then I realized that a huge percentage of home owning bullshit is water bullshit.

I thought it was the washing machine, which would have sucked! But it wasn't, it's the wall leaking water. :geno: So now I have two questions. What do I do with this crack? It's pretty long - at least 2-3 feet, but very narrow. It goes way down from that photo. Is it narrow enough that I can just inject some sort of sealant, or is any basement cracking time to all a professional? And if I am fixing it myself, how the gently caress do I deal with that blanket insulation? It's anchored in a way that doesn't seem particularly removable, but I don't know anything about anything. Picture of an anchor attached.

The crack looks pretty small and vertical so it's not likely to be a structural problem.

To relieve the water pressure on the wall you need to get the water away from the exterior wall. Check gutters and downspouts and make sure water flows away from the wall.
A more extreme measure is digging an exterior french drain.

You can seal the crack with a home kit, something along the lines of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Leaky-Basement-Crack-Repair-Homeowners/dp/B009K8HNOE

I haven't dealt with the nailed on insulation blanket. Other DIY forums recommend cutting the nail

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Huge empty quote my friend

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

devicenull posted:

Yep, rent it from Home Depot (along with the bit). Make sure you've got all the PPE (glasses, hearing, respirator)

You might be able to get it up with just a hammer and chisel, but if your installer did a good job, a chipping gun might be a godsend.

Also seconding the above advice re:ppe, but also gloves, especially if it's glazed porcelain. The glaze can be as sharp as a razor blade, and it's trivially easy to slice into your hand while absentmindedly reaching to pick up a piece of the broken tile.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Turns out my brother has a DeWalt demo hammer so I'll borrow that.

PPE 4 lyfe.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Home Zone: You might be able to get it up with just a hammer and chisel

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I think this is my first thread title in 19 years.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

okay i think my building might be haunted

every so often, maybe once every 1-2 weeks, I heard some sounds that appear to be coming from between the walls. I asked my neighbor on that side and she said she heard the same thing, and thought it was me. I managed to get some audio today - you have to turn up the volume quite a bit, but there are some noises like something is moving around, but what really stands out is at 21 seconds - it sounded to me like some dropped a marble from high up onto the ground - what in the hell is that? i mean besides ghosts

https://i.imgur.com/eqra0Gj.mp4

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

actionjackson posted:

every so often, maybe once every 1-2 weeks, I heard some sounds that appear to be coming from between the walls. I asked my neighbor on that side and she said she heard the same thing, and thought it was me. I managed to get some audio today - you have to turn up the volume quite a bit, but there are some noises like something is moving around, but what really stands out is at 21 seconds - it sounded to me like some dropped a marble from high up onto the ground - what in the hell is that? i mean besides ghosts

Probably wood movement in the walls from temperature or humidity change. I used to have a lot of those issues in my house. Especially on windy days. I went up in the attic and found some very loose nails in rafter ties and purlin braces and replaced them with big lag screws with construction adhesive between the members and it has greatly cut down on the noises I hear.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's ghosts

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

actionjackson posted:

Do you have a tree nearby? Maybe its sticks or acorns falling onto your roof. It could be branches swinging if they're close to the house. Have you looked around your house to see for pests like rodents? It definitely sounds like an impact vs a house just shifting and hearing joints popping/expanding. The best way of finding out is to really try and pinpoint where the sound is coming from. Use a stethoscope or even just put a drinking glass to your ear to see if you can hone in on its location. Also check that its only happening in that same location.

Does it come on or get worse if you run water ... nearby? Maybe a pipe isn't very secure and moves around when the water is turned on/off.

Another option, maybe its a vent of some sort opening and closing? Do you have a dryer vent that automatically closes when the dryer shuts off?

Comedy option, just live with the ghosts. In a market full of waived inspections and full cash offers, I would easily live with some haunted poo poo as long as the house was clean and structurally sound. Also, depending on your area you might be legally responsible to disclose knowledge of any ghost, spirits, or apparitions.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Verman posted:

Do you have a tree nearby? Maybe its sticks or acorns falling onto your roof. It could be branches swinging if they're close to the house. Have you looked around your house to see for pests like rodents? It definitely sounds like an impact vs a house just shifting and hearing joints popping/expanding. The best way of finding out is to really try and pinpoint where the sound is coming from. Use a stethoscope or even just put a drinking glass to your ear to see if you can hone in on its location. Also check that its only happening in that same location.

Does it come on or get worse if you run water ... nearby? Maybe a pipe isn't very secure and moves around when the water is turned on/off.

Another option, maybe its a vent of some sort opening and closing? Do you have a dryer vent that automatically closes when the dryer shuts off?

Comedy option, just live with the ghosts. In a market full of waived inspections and full cash offers, I would easily live with some haunted poo poo as long as the house was clean and structurally sound. Also, depending on your area you might be legally responsible to disclose knowledge of any ghost, spirits, or apparitions.

I'm on the bottom floor of a three story building, so I don't have a roof, and only one wall faces the outside, as I have neighbors on both side, and a parking garage below me. It's quite random, not that frequent, and doesn't seem to be tied to anything I'm doing (I was not running anything at this time).

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I remember removing tile that the previous owner installed at our townhouse, and thinking how easy it was with just a hammer, chisel and pry bar.

Then I had to demo some tile I installed after my wife wanted to coordinate the finishes in both bathrooms.... and it was not so easy. I wish I'd rented a demo hammer.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I bought a second hand battery powered SDS MAX demo hammer and while it was $300, it has paid for itself several times over with various house projects. It's a great investment if you have multiple projects with masonry.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Just found this thread and thought you might enjoy some stories of an ausgoon's home ownership adventures since buying a house in July of last year. 70 year old, 2 story weatherboard house. The downstairs slab was put in before there were rules apparently and so it sits below the street level and the backyard drains into it.

Oct - Return from our wedding to see water streaming down the outside of our house. Hose connecting the filtered water tap in kitchen had come off due to pressure build up. Must have happened less than an hour before we arrived home as the damage was limited to the kitchen and laundry directly below. Queue 5 month long fight with insurance to get them to replace the entirety of the upstairs overlay flooring which is all open plan. Work set to finally commence next week.

Nov/Dec - external storm water pump failed on multiple occasions causing water ingress downstairs. I spent 2 hours one evening fighting a storm with a bucket. Have since bought a backup pump.

Feb - flood event, we had a metre of rain in 4 days, whilst our house is above the flood levels we had 50mm in a 15min period and the storm water drains couldn't cope, water came in through the garage and an inch through the downstairs. Not a huge issue as we mostly use the downstairs for storage and had moved anything important to higher ground.

Later in Feb - sewage starts coming out of the overflow. Turns out the old clay pipe was damaged when they renovated and they either didn't realise or just covered it up. Time made the issue worse and worse and I guess the flood was the final straw. Of course the pipe runs under a concrete slab.

Home ownership owns. Water owns.

Airstream Driver fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 30, 2022

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
So I have been in stasis with my bathroom remodel for.. a while. It's because I need to install the shower surround panels, and they're huge, awkward, heavy. 5'x8' for the back one (floor to ceiling)

What's the right category of people to search for to help with this? Basically each panel needs 2-3 people to just get it into the bathroom.

And where to search? Craigslist seems devoid of this now.

I'd imagine this 2-4 hour job is barely worth the time of someone who would prefer to do an entire remodel, but who knows, maybe a few hundred cash (or something?) Is a motivator for a quick afternoon gig?

I've refrained from asking friends for help with this intentionally but I guess I could if I come up empty elsewhere.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ask a tile installer

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

brugroffil posted:

Turns out my brother has a DeWalt demo hammer so I'll borrow that.

PPE 4 lyfe.

If he doesn’t have one, you might want to buy a 3” or 4” wide chisel bit. Just find out if it takes SDS bits or not.

And I might consider wearing a face shield for porcelain tile.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Verman posted:

Comedy option, just live with the ghosts.

"This house harbors a deep, evil energy."

"Well get my loving gun because I got a mortgage and one of us is leaving."

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

actionjackson posted:

I'm on the bottom floor of a three story building, so I don't have a roof, and only one wall faces the outside, as I have neighbors on both side, and a parking garage below me. It's quite random, not that frequent, and doesn't seem to be tied to anything I'm doing (I was not running anything at this time).
It could be literally anything.

But,
is most likely.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

actionjackson posted:

ask a tile installer
That could make sense, its possible they've done these before. But where's an actual logical place to look nowadays since Craigslist is.. dry?

Edit: Im now remembering that about a year ago i stumbled across a website where you could hire someone for handyman type of jobs, it listed their hourly rates, etc. It seemed good and transparent, idk if it was a 'gig' thing or what. Familiar to anyone? Much better than Angie's list or whatever that it literally shows you nothing and only lists the top 5 huge remodeling corporations in my area.

falz fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 30, 2022

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Thumbtack is the app I always go to for odd jobs kind of stuff.

Edit: I think TaskRabbit was the more gig-economy one too.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Yes! it was thumbtack, thanks. Its listing fewer people currently than before but this was definitely it. Taskrabbit isnt in my area but iirc it was for like putting together tour IKEA things or something.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Putting ikea stuff together is the best part.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
We had a concrete patio put in, and now my (trex) decking is covered in sort of a white dusty patina that dish soap + water doesn’t seem to hit. would soap + gentle pressure wash take it off, or do I need to get that concrete remover spray stuff?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

We don't talk about Bruno no no

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Three days of busting my rear end tearing up a floor and crawling around an attic and I'm still not finished with a bathroom exhaust fan install. Scope of the project has now expanded into replacing insulation and air sealing that knee wall, and repairing drywall in two spots cuz I'm gonna just bust a hole in the wall on both ends and fix it later so I don't have to drag all my poo poo in and out from just one door. Why didn't I just pay someone to do this? I am tired. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sirotan posted:

Three days of busting my rear end tearing up a floor and crawling around an attic and I'm still not finished with a bathroom exhaust fan install. Scope of the project has now expanded into replacing insulation and air sealing that knee wall, and repairing drywall in two spots cuz I'm gonna just bust a hole in the wall on both ends and fix it later so I don't have to drag all my poo poo in and out from just one door. Why didn't I just pay someone to do this? I am tired. :(

Scope creep is real.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So the other day I had a guy come to our house to do an estimate for new windows. The price he initially quoted us was something like $7300 for 5 windows, but then he applied several discounts and brought the total down to like $5400, labor included. For 5 windows. This was with Statewide Remodeling in Texas, if any of you are familiar with them.

Well not long before the guy left, I thought of this thread and remembered there's a thread search feature, so I searched the thread for "windows" to see if any of y'all had any advice on getting new windows, and somebody said to get multiple quotes. So I did a search and found a local place that had a deal going for 10 windows for $3900. Got another quote from them and the total with tax and labor included came out to like $4500, which is about $450 per window. They're single-hung windows made by a company called Atrium and the air infiltration rating is something like 0.28 I think (the Statewide Remodeling windows were 0.7), but is this a good deal for windows? Is 0.28 a bad rating for air?

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Hello thread,

I've got a question about venting through the rim joist. I'm building out my basement workshop and I'm going to install an exhaust fan. The exhaust fan needs an exhaust pipe. The most direct route is through the rim joist and out to the exterior.

I've bought a vent fan with an 8" exhaust diameter. I'd like to run the biggest exhaust that I can. 8" didn't seem feasible for the space, so I got a 6" exhaust cover and 6" duct/elbow. This would connect to the fan exhaust via an 8" to 6" reducer.

Now the issue: the rim joist is 10" tall. In the pics below some of the lower part it is obscured by a PT 2"X4" that is part of the earthquake proofing that ties the house to the foundation. The upper part is obscured by some silver insulation for under floor radiant heat. But it is 10" tall.

I touched the 6 1/4" hole saw to the wall to get an idea of how the hole would lay. You can see the mark. It's comfortably centered. I'd have to install new earthquake brackets but that's not a big problem. 6" is, however, a lot more than 1/3rd of 10". And I recall that the rule is don't drill a hole more than 1/3" the width of a beam.

Am I safe to go ahead and drill a 6" hole? Should I not, and rather drill a 4" hole?

Second and related question: I recall that I bought the 8" fan and the 6" pipe because you get way better airflow numbers with larger pipes. A 4" vent feels pretty wimpy for actually evacuating a lot of air in a hurry. If I'm limited to a 4" hole (or smaller?) in the rim joist and the airflow is insufficient then I might be able get the exhaust outside through a different route. There's a linen closet in the bedroom above the workshop. I could potentially drill a 6" hole in the closet floor/ceiling of the workshop room downstairs. Then a drill 6" hole out through the siding behind the closet and thus avoid any holes in the rim joist. That will be a more involved project than just drilling straight through in one spot but I'm willing to do it if necessary to preserve the strength of the structure of the house. Is that the better plan even though it's more work?

6" mark on the 10" rim joist. Silver bubble insulation at the top conceals some of the top of the joist and the radiant underfloor heat.

Detail of the bottom of the rim joist meeting the top of the basement/foundation wall, concrete at the bottom of the shot. This shows that there is indeed more rim joist back there.

The neighboring bay, showing more of the 10" height at the top.

Here's the pilot hole from outside:

Decent clearance for 6" but 4" would be comparatively unobtrusive.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The rim joist is there to help maintain the orientation of your load-bearing floor joists. It, in & of itself, is not a load-bearing member, and that is borne out in your photos: the joists are sitting on the sill plate. The rim joist is not.

When I built my garage, I uses IPI engineered beams (to have a free space 19' wide). The IPI shipment came with rim joisting, which was made out of OSB, not exactly known for it's load-bearing attributes.

I would get other opinions. Mine is that you can go forth with a 6" hole there. Just add straps on either side for the hurricane shear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Whatever you do brace the drill on the floor above or something, because when that hole saw binds it will break your wrist or throw you off the ladder.

Personally I would either stick to the 4" or go up and out with the bigger duct.