Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i like how in 2022 all we can ever talk about is whether it's okay to pay attention to someone

we're all imperfect and stupid dumbasses HTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Wolfsheim posted:

Speaking of cliffhangers my SO and I watched all of Yellowjackets in two days and it's pretty bad form to show a crazy thing happen in the first episode and then instead of building to that thing in the finale instead build to the implication that thing is probably going to happen in the next season, maybe
Yeah I wish someone had told me this before I started watching the show, I would've never wasted a second on it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm halfway through the second to last episode of Ozark and it's giving me Safdie levels of anxiety

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I can't even imagine feeling tense during this last stretch of Ozark. I'm two episodes in and there's nobody left whose safety I care about. I'm only sticking around out of curiosity about how the rube Goldberg machine of a plot resolves.

That said, a Safdie comparison is high praise. If the last few episodes can get me a tenth as anxious as uncut gems I'll be soundly impressed.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

TOOT BOOT posted:

Joe Bob sucks now but he might not be that much worse than a typical man of his age group

Lol have you met any 70 year old white texan dudes? Joe Bob is woke as hell comparatively.

One of the recent episodes he had some drag queen filmakers on and started talking about "cancel culture" and I got worried, but it turns out he was still mad about some poo poo Tipper Gore got up to in the 80's.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I can't even imagine feeling tense during this last stretch of Ozark. I'm two episodes in and there's nobody left whose safety I care about. I'm only sticking around out of curiosity about how the rube Goldberg machine of a plot resolves.

That said, a Safdie comparison is high praise. If the last few episodes can get me a tenth as anxious as uncut gems I'll be soundly impressed.

There's just a lot of poo poo the Byrdes are juggling all the time it's overwhelming.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I stopped watching when the main character lady went into that house and messed with the kids stuff for the sole purpose of scaring him. It doesn't surprise me in any way to hear that she gets away with everything, that show is so far up its own rear end and arguably always has been.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The first of the month used to be a fun time, it used to be when Netflix would add a whole bunch of popular movies to their service. Now the First is as empty and hollow as an endlessly buffering reaplayer video from 2002

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The first of the month used to be a fun time, it used to be when Netflix would add a whole bunch of popular movies to their service. Now the First is as empty and hollow as an endlessly buffering reaplayer video from 2002

Tubi is the new Netflix.

https://thestreamable.com/news/what-s-steaming-on-tubi-in-may-2022-including-twilight-saga-bad-influence

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Criterion Channel turnover is also worth paying attention to.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Barry season three is good as hell but that’s no surprise

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Barry season three is good as hell but that’s no surprise

I love that it's only 30 minutes so there's no wasted time at all.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Late for this, but Russian Doll season 2 doesn't deserve the critical praise it got.

I appreciated them doing something different with the multi-time travel, but so much of it felt unneeded. Also, Alan's storyline was completely pointless.

It's amusing that the premiere barely broke the top 10 in most watched TV shows, and then fell off the popularity charts. Too little, too late.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Late for this, but Russian Doll season 2 doesn't deserve the critical praise it got.

I appreciated them doing something different with the multi-time travel, but so much of it felt unneeded. Also, Alan's storyline was completely pointless.

It's amusing that the premiere barely broke the top 10 in most watched TV shows, and then fell off the popularity charts. Too little, too late.

I loved season 1, but was a little let down by season 2. The story kind of meandered, and then it ended at a point in which I thought there would be more to the story. Nadia's character became a caricature of her season 1 character, almost like Natasha Lyonne was doing an exaggerated impression of herself. As for Alan I agree his story wasn't as substantial as it was in season 1. I did appreciate that they found a way for him to have somewhat of a gay romance given that the actor in real life is gay. Season 1 he was dealing with the breakup of a woman, but in season 2 he was enjoying a romance with a man through the perspective of his grandma.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

HBO still rotates their back catalog on the first of the month although the concept of “rotating the catalog” is itself pretty quaint.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/hbo-max-new-releases-may-2022/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Wait they rotate their own catalog? They don't just have it all for viewing?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If they do, then I'd imagine it's to keep an illusion of "freshness" for their subscribers. Having people log on every week and seeing nothing new is bad for business.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

feedmyleg posted:

If they do, then I'd imagine it's to keep an illusion of "freshness" for their subscribers. Having people log on every week and seeing nothing new is bad for business.

Yeah that's what I'd assume as well. So people don't fall into the Netflix "oh there's nothing good anymore I've seen it all" phase (which I dont' think it is justified either but whatever).

But it's annoying and just kind of reeks of the Disney Vault.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Wait they rotate their own catalog? They don't just have it all for viewing?

I didn't look at that list, but is it all 'their own catalog?' HBO/HBO Max, does get movies from other places. The HBO tv channel always added/dropped movies every month, and that's reflected on HBO Max as well.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I mean, I'd be pissed if they suddenly took The Wire and Sopranos off to rotate them, I assume that's stuff that BonoMan meant with "their own" catalog

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Like here is a sample of “new” May releases on HBO:

47 Ronin, 2013
Assassins, 2020
At Close Range, 1986
An Autumn Afternoon, 1962
The Big Sleep, 1946
Back To School, 1986
Bottle Rocket, 1996

I’d assume they are not actively licensing these movies each month but who knows.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ymgve posted:

I mean, I'd be pissed if they suddenly took The Wire and Sopranos off to rotate them, I assume that's stuff that BonoMan meant with "their own" catalog

No, stuff produced by HBO never rotates.
Stuff owned by WB will rotate because, even they're owned by the same company, HBO still needs to pay licensing costs to the division that owns the rights.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jose Oquendo posted:

I didn't look at that list, but is it all 'their own catalog?' HBO/HBO Max, does get movies from other places. The HBO tv channel always added/dropped movies every month, and that's reflected on HBO Max as well.

ymgve posted:

Actually I was phone posting and thought I was in the documentaries thread and we were talking about their own documentaries ha!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, stuff produced by HBO never rotates.
Stuff owned by WB will rotate because, even they're owned by the same company, HBO still needs to pay licensing costs to the division that owns the rights.

I think WB also isn't totally averse to selling streaming rights to other outfits for a time. I remember Peacock had the Harry Potter movies on there for a little while. I would assume those deals would have some sort of exclusivity. I didn't check but I figure that during that time, those movies were not on HBO Max.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah i finished Russian Doll S2 last night and felt completely left cold by the entire season. like, i can't really point to anything wrong with it, but none of it was as good as S1. shame.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Righting Wrongs/Above the Law is one of the greatest movies of all time id never heard of. Just incredible.
Unfortunately it was only on "Hiyah" which i was doin a free trial of on Prime, and the subtitles got earlier and earlier out of sync halfway in. Maybe there are other ways to see it?
I'll let these posters speak for themselves. It's a rare case where the 80s action poster not only accurately represents the wonders in store but the movie itself is even cooler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePUp8Yi3zH4

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hiyah is approaching Seeso levels of bad naming.

mystes
May 31, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Hiyah is approaching Seeso levels of bad naming.
There's no need to quibi over the name

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mystes posted:

There's no need to quibi over the name

tubi or not tubi

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I can't wait to get really angry at the Emmy's next year after Jon Bernthal doesn't even get nominated for We Own This City because holy poo poo he is killing it. And the show is really really good as well but he takes it next level.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

B-Rock452 posted:

I can't wait to get really angry at the Emmy's next year after Jon Bernthal doesn't even get nominated for We Own This City because holy poo poo he is killing it. And the show is really really good as well but he takes it next level.

I like it because I find anything by David Simon extremely watchable, although some of the time jumping confuses my small brain.

Also lol that the second episode has like 3 direct quotes/references from The Wire, on top of all the recurring actors.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

I loved season 1, but was a little let down by season 2. The story kind of meandered, and then it ended at a point in which I thought there would be more to the story. Nadia's character became a caricature of her season 1 character, almost like Natasha Lyonne was doing an exaggerated impression of herself. As for Alan I agree his story wasn't as substantial as it was in season 1. I did appreciate that they found a way for him to have somewhat of a gay romance given that the actor in real life is gay. Season 1 he was dealing with the breakup of a woman, but in season 2 he was enjoying a romance with a man through the perspective of his grandma.

I'm halfway through, but I'm the same way about Nadia. She's mumbling, fumbling around, and no one reacts to the outlandish or downright insulting things she says under her breath except to stare at her. I'm getting a Die Hard vibe from this where it might've been a script submission that was picked up and the Russian Doll characters inserted. Like I said, only halfway through, but there's nothing that requires any knowledge of the first season - at least nothing that couldn't have been said in a hypothetical missing scene. The last episode I watched proved what I thought, that the Maxine character would be cringey as hell outside of her role in the time loop story.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i don't know what their plans were but it deffo doesn't feel like they had planned to ever do a season 2

it's a real shame because natasha lyonne is basically perfect

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I can't remember what thread it was in, but someone said it seemed like she was doing a stand up act during half her conversations in Russian Doll S2 and that pretty much nailed it for me.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
The first season ended, it was wrapped up, no where to go from there but they did it anyways. I don't even want to use the term "first season" because it was clearly supposed to be a one and done. Forcing a second season only undermined the greatness of the show.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What should I watch next

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Starks posted:

I like it because I find anything by David Simon extremely watchable, although some of the time jumping confuses my small brain.

Also lol that the second episode has like 3 direct quotes/references from The Wire, on top of all the recurring actors.

There's a couple quotes he uses through all his Baltimore shows, simply because they're real quotes from cops when he was embedded with Homicide for a year.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

What should I watch next

The Gentlemen got added to Netflix. it's Guy Ritchie trying real hard and mostly succeeding to recapture that Lock Stock/Snatch magic

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

precision posted:

The Gentlemen got added to Netflix. it's Guy Ritchie trying real hard and mostly succeeding to recapture that Lock Stock/Snatch magic

It's worth a watch just to see Hugh Grant's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sick I’ll check it out