Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Thank you for all the good input. Sounds like a Macbook Air with the M1 and 16GB RAM is what I'm looking for

I'd like a Pro with all those ports, but the extra $1000 (for the actual, 14" version) is a bit much, and I'm used to the 13.3" screen already so no biggie, and I never run this thing at anywhere near full brightness anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Please enjoy the substantial jump in performance from your 2013 machine and also congratulations on holding onto a laptop for nearly a decade.

See you again in 9 years!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I bought this MBP knowing it had no moving parts other than the fans and the keyboard, and that it could last forever

Hell I wouldn’t even need a new one if it weren’t for this camera. It’s great.

Not sure what to do with it. It has the screen delamination issue, but it’s not as bad as some cases I’ve seen.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I get the feeling Apple will simply just not make a new 13-inch Mx MBP, but if an M2 version materializes I'd be surprised.

IMO the only reason the 13-inch M1 MBP exists is to get all the Intel rated 13-inch MBP casings out of inventory. The new Airs will likely have thinner / lighter casings because the Mx chips don't put out anywhere near as much heat as the equivalent Intel CPU.

Current M1 Airs get by with Intel rated casings, it's a big lol to see people buy all these shims and copper plates and thermal pads and sinks to hack their Airs to slightly better speeds..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Not sure what to do with it. It has the screen delamination issue, but it’s not as bad as some cases I’ve seen.

Either sell it off on Craigslist or keep it around as a spare if you ever need to service your Air.

I've got a 2013 13-inch rMBP that's currently running OCLP'd Monterey, but it might be more useful to me if I wiped it and slapped Linux Mint or Ubuntu onto it.

It had the delaminated issue but Apple told me my machine was brought in too many times to do a replacement (yours might not be) so I did what was suggested in various places- I got some Clorox cleaning wipes and went to town on the screen.

After 30-40 minutes of vigorous scrubbing the screen was now nice and shiny and now looks slightly better than it did; there's no protective layer anymore but at least it's not all mottled like it was.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thank you for all the good input. Sounds like a Macbook Air with the M1 and 16GB RAM is what I'm looking for

I'd like a Pro with all those ports, but the extra $1000 (for the actual, 14" version) is a bit much, and I'm used to the 13.3" screen already so no biggie, and I never run this thing at anywhere near full brightness anyway

if you held on to your prior machine for nearly a decade, spending that extra $1000 for creature comforts you will use again and again over that decade does not feel like an unreasonable cost, if you can afford it

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anyone have experience excising the ‘Mac won’t stay asleep’ demons?

My Studio slept fine for the first few weeks and now a bunch of core processes are preventing sleep. Like WTF window server you’ve never done that before.

All the googling in the world has just led me to ‘restart the machine or kill the process.’

I have no idea what to do other than turn off the monitor (oops, you were using the build in USB hub, too bad) or GASP turn off the Mac.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I have two MBPs (work and personal), both running latest macOS, that I want to swap a Magic Keyboard between once a day. The keyboard stays paired to whichever one it was paired to last, even when that laptop is asleep with the lid closed; it'll even wake that laptop if I press a key (I can hear the alert beep lol). The only way I can actually get the keyboard to switch is to go into BT preferences on the laptop I'm putting away and deleting the keyboard from the devices list. I swear this process used to be simpler, but maybe I'm misremembering. Is there a way to make this switching easier?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

carry on then posted:

I have two MBPs (work and personal), both running latest macOS, that I want to swap a Magic Keyboard between once a day. The keyboard stays paired to whichever one it was paired to last, even when that laptop is asleep with the lid closed; it'll even wake that laptop if I press a key (I can hear the alert beep lol). The only way I can actually get the keyboard to switch is to go into BT preferences on the laptop I'm putting away and deleting the keyboard from the devices list. I swear this process used to be simpler, but maybe I'm misremembering. Is there a way to make this switching easier?

get a Logitech

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

If your setup allows for it, you could use the keyboard wired. I don't think there are any hacks to it otherwise, and there will be some level of nuisance involved if you continue to use it with both laptops over its wireless connection. This and getting a PC is what drove me to my current setup of a Keychron board and Logitech mouse.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah okay I'm just going to switch to my usual wired keyboard. This is/was just a temporary setup until I get a real desk after moving, but if it's going to be a huge pain I might as well switch cables anyway.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Anyone have experience excising the ‘Mac won’t stay asleep’ demons?

My Studio slept fine for the first few weeks and now a bunch of core processes are preventing sleep. Like WTF window server you’ve never done that before.

All the googling in the world has just led me to ‘restart the machine or kill the process.’

I have no idea what to do other than turn off the monitor (oops, you were using the build in USB hub, too bad) or GASP turn off the Mac.

now and then. I just have a sleep hot corner and I throw my mouse up in there before I walk away.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

benisntfunny posted:

now and then. I just have a sleep hot corner and I throw my mouse up in there before I walk away.

I do that too. All the time. Now the sleep corner causes a split second of sleep and then it wakes right back up. Dangdest thing.

Its powerd, bluetoothd, and window server that activity monitor reports is preventing sleep.

Of course you can’t really kill window server, and when I turn off bluetooth it still prevents sleep. I guess maybe this is more a macos thing. Super frustrating.

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
Does anyone use the M1 16" MBP with the XDR Pro Display or another high res monitor? Does it heat up and/or run the fans? I had the 2019 i9 version and just plugging it into my 1440p external would cause it to melt down.

Edit: Oh yeah also does anyone use the 16" MBP with the actual XDR Pro Display? Is it possible to make the two screens look identical ? For example I assume you'd need the glossy finish on the PD as a starter, but can the colours/brightness/etc. of the displays be made to match to a reasonable degree?

Internaut! fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 2, 2022

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Internaut! posted:

Does anyone use the M1 16" MBP with the XDR Pro Display or another high res monitor? Does it heat up and/or run the fans? I had the 2019 i9 version and just plugging it into my 1440p external would cause it to melt down.

According to the MRF forums, this overheating issue was found to be a flaw in the AMD drivers for the Radeon Pro 5300 / 5500M GPU, it's been fixed in macOS Monterey 12.3 and 12.3.1.

Don't know if the same patches were applied to Big Sur 11.6.5, but it sure wouldn't surprise me for Apple to only implement fixes for only their latest macOS.

If you can believe it, Apple helping Blender fix their software up for the Metal viewport was partly responsible for them fixing the flaw.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I would like a mac for basic video and sound editing. Editing together home movies and kids' projects, basically, but I'd like to be able to play around with greenscreens and such and maybe something like Ableton Live one day. Would an Air handle that or should I look at something with more power?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

unlimited shrimp posted:

I would like a mac for basic video and sound editing. Editing together home movies and kids' projects, basically, but I'd like to be able to play around with greenscreens and such and maybe something like Ableton Live one day. Would an Air handle that or should I look at something with more power?

The Air should be able to handle that honestly.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
The m1 air is faster than any apple intel laptop that came before it cpu wise. So just imagine a max spec 2019 15" mbp, but faster.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I watched an fstoppers video where the guy admitted he'd been completely won over by the 14" pro he'd picked up after being a lifelong Windows person. My favorite part of the video was where he loved how great iMessage is on the desktop and how much fun it is to text people off it, and how he dreamed of one day Apple implementing the ability to do SMS from it too. I'm sure dude was delighted to read the comments about that.

I can't disagree, I love iMessage on the desktop too and tends to be how I primarily message friends.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

EL BROMANCE posted:

My favorite part of the video was where he loved how great iMessage is on the desktop and how much fun it is to text people off it, and how he dreamed of one day Apple implementing the ability to do SMS from it too. I'm sure dude was delighted to read the comments about that.

lmao

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

Is there a good/trusted source out there for DAW benchmarks? Curious to quantify how big of a performance jump I'd see in Logic/Ableton by upgrading to a refurb M1 Air from a 2014 MBP (dual core i5, 8GB RAM).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pork Chops Aplenty posted:

Is there a good/trusted source out there for DAW benchmarks? Curious to quantify how big of a performance jump I'd see in Logic/Ableton by upgrading to a refurb M1 Air from a 2014 MBP (dual core i5, 8GB RAM).

just take our word that you’d see a very sizable improvement

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Pork Chops Aplenty posted:

Logic has a benchmark project that many reviewers use in their benchmarks. You should see a very noticeable improvement, as DAWs are generally able to scale well with more cores/threads. E.g., IIRC Ableton is able to run each track in its own thread, so even ignoring single core performance, you'll have a lot more power any time you're running more than 2 tracks (as IIRC those i5s didn't have hyperthreading). Single core performance is also greatly improved, which will help when running CPU hungry plugins. Another benefit is your laptop won't sound like a jet engine once you load up more than a very basic project (which I'm assuming is what happens with your 2014).

FYI, a lot of popular plugins still aren't AS native, but if you use the AU versions instead of VSTs, you can still run your DAW in native mode rather than Rosetta 2. AUs run in their own process, so they can run via Rosetta even if the DAW is running AS native, whereas VSTs run in the same process as the host DAW (so if you're running the DAW AS native you won't be able to load any VSTs that aren't yet AS native). However, even running your DAW via Rosetta, the performance will still be way better than what you're getting with your current Intel Mac.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So the SD card reader in MacBooks has been over a USB2 internal interface up until the M1 models where it moved to USB3?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Shaocaholica posted:

So the SD card reader in MacBooks has been over a USB2 internal interface up until the M1 models where it moved to USB3?

SD card readers in MBPs have been on PCI Express since… 2011 I think?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
But the 2013-2015(and newer) MBPs SD readers all operate at USB2 speeds (480mbit). I just assumed there was a USB2 layer somewhere between the reader and the pcie bus.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Shaocaholica posted:

But the 2013-2015(and newer) MBPs SD readers all operate at USB2 speeds (480mbit). I just assumed there was a USB2 layer somewhere between the reader and the pcie bus.

You are incorrect. There are some Macs where the SD is connected by USB (like pre-2011 MBPs and I think all MBAs) but they won’t show PCI Express link speeds. In the PCI-E capable ones, it shows up as gigatransfers/second instead of megabits/second, because it’s a PCI-E 1.0 link (or 2.0 for the M1 Pro/Max MBPs).

Use a UHS-1 card on a 2011 MBP and it should read 80-90 MB/s all day long, which is considerably faster than what a USB 2.0 reader could achieve.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 2, 2022

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ah you're right the SD R/W speed on my 2014 MBP13 is faster than USB2.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
2013-2015 MacBook Pro SSD adapters. Should I get the full length type or the stubby type?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
So I'm looking for a USB C hub that will allow me to either plug in my monitor (HDMI or USB C) that will work with my work iMac (and later on my M1 MacBook Pro when I buy it.)

Turns out not all USB C hubs are created equal and some of them advertise compatibility with charging but don't. Looking around, they also vary from $20 all the way up to $150.

Anyone have any sound buying advice? Prefer to have some USB C or USB A ports if possible.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The Caldigit USB-C HDMI dock is pretty solid, I know a few people who own it, it allows you to hook up two 4K external monitors and provides 94W of charging power. It has USB-A ports, Ethernet, and even an SD card slot that runs at UHS II speeds (like you need another unless you buy an Air or 13-inch Pro which don't have one)

Not bad for $80.. Anker 8-in-1 Power Expand is a good USB-C hub too for about the same price but only provides 84W charging.

Sheesh, BTOs direct from Apple now show a ship date of late July if you order now..

Shaocaholica posted:

2013-2015 MacBook Pro SSD adapters. Should I get the full length type or the stubby type?

The long adapters tend to elevate your SSD closer to the casing than the short ones and may cause issues if you buy one of those double-sided SSDs (RAM on both sides of chip.) I stick with the shorties from Sintech, other brands I've tried have either been problematic OOTB or become that later.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 3, 2022

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
Has anyone ever used a touchscreen monitor with a Mac? Any gotchas? Use cases would be adjusting controls in Ableton and VSTs, and marking up PDFs/Sibelius scores. Looking for something in the 40" range if anyone has recos.

Edit: 40" range 4k res. Don't know if there's any specific touch checkboxes to tick (I see some of them have "touch points" listed but I don't know what those are).

Internaut! fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 3, 2022

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I'm still waiting for my expected arrival date to be pushed back. I ordered A MBP in the beginning of April and it's still giving me an expected date of late May.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Binary Badger posted:

The Caldigit USB-C HDMI dock is pretty solid, I know a few people who own it, it allows you to hook up two 4K external monitors and provides 94W of charging power. It has USB-A ports, Ethernet, and even an SD card slot that runs at UHS II speeds (like you need another unless you buy an Air or 13-inch Pro which don't have one)

Not bad for $80.. Anker 8-in-1 Power Expand is a good USB-C hub too for about the same price but only provides 84W charging.

Sheesh, BTOs direct from Apple now show a ship date of late July if you order now..

The long adapters tend to elevate your SSD closer to the casing than the short ones and may cause issues if you buy one of those double-sided SSDs (RAM on both sides of chip.) I stick with the shorties from Sintech, other brands I've tried have either been problematic OOTB or become that later.

This was super helpful. Thanks!

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

keevo posted:

I'm still waiting for my expected arrival date to be pushed back. I ordered A MBP in the beginning of April and it's still giving me an expected date of late May.

I ordered one March 8, initial delivery was April 12, pushed to May 9 and I suspect it’s gonna get pushed again.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
what spec did you all order?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

is there any sort of vague schedule for when the apple refurb site gets updated?

i would bite on a base model 14" MBP on sale, but no dice right now

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Seems like it's updated daily as I just saw a model from yesterday vanish, but to be frank it seems to update when they actually sell one of the drat things.

I'm waiting for a certain config to reappear that I saw in stock before, but of course that's no guarantee it will appear again.

Was thinking about Adorama, but the last time I dealt with one of those kinds of stores (47th st Photo) they made me go to some god forsaken warehouse in an industrial section of middle of nowhere Brooklyn to pick up my merchandise.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 4, 2022

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Binary Badger posted:

Seems like it's updated daily as I just saw a model from yesterday vanish, but to be frank it seems to update when they actually sell one of the drat things.

I'm waiting for a certain config to reappear that I saw in stock before, but of course that's no guarantee it will appear again.

Was thinking about Adorama, but the last time I dealt with one of those kinds of stores (47th st Photo) they made me go to some god forsaken warehouse in an industrial section of middle of nowhere Brooklyn to pick up my merchandise.

HEY. I used to live near the Adorama rental warehouse in Brooklyn. I miss that neighborhood.

Probably not the one your thinking of, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

is there any sort of vague schedule for when the apple refurb site gets updated?

i would bite on a base model 14" MBP on sale, but no dice right now

I can't remember the name of it, but there are trackers you can sign up to that'll send you an alert when the item you're looking for turns up.