Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

One of the Chinese Kitmakers put out an F-106 kit in the markings like GW Bush flew in the Texas air national guard in the early 1970s. IIRC on the front of the box it is intercepting a Tu-95?

I've got the 'special edition' dubya F102A Case X kit Meng released a few years ago (although I doubt I'll use those markings when I build it)
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/meng-model-ds-003s-f-102a-casex--170227

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Built box stock apart from the details added to the engine bay.

Is the added details mostly the wiring? Do you scratch build other extra parts? I need to take a shot at sprucing up engines and interiors.

And as always your cars just look incredibly clean, especially the lights and windshield

I also need to use more color... everything flat aluminum is so dull

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Immolat1on posted:

Is the added details mostly the wiring? Do you scratch build other extra parts? I need to take a shot at sprucing up engines and interiors.

And as always your cars just look incredibly clean, especially the lights and windshield

I also need to use more color... everything flat aluminum is so dull

I scratch built a catch can and a coil for the motor along with all of the wiring I included in the engine bay.

Thanks for the compliments I actually don’t like working with the windows for car kits and try to handle them as little as possible before they get installed in the build. MIG ultra glue has also helped massively because it tends to grip fairly quickly and certainly better than pva glue ime

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010
Decided to get back into making model, used to enjoy it as a kid, took my almost a year but I finish my first one since a kid.

It is a 82 Toyota Hilux, with tonneau cover and a bunch of other custom stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/a/8quH9Aw

https://imgur.com/a/npE1MdC.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/6ZCuGPV.jpg

I am overall pretty happy with it, just a couple of thing to fix and glue the god dam side mirrors back on. Just glad to finsh it to bed honest.

Next up is a 1950s Ford truck.

Launchpad McQuack fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 30, 2022

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I could use some lighting suggestions. I just moved into a new apartment and I have an extra bedroom that is my office/hobby room. I just got a LED lamp but it still feels too dark for modeling. Heres what it looks like

Can anyone suggest a light that would make it super bright over my modeling desk? Preferably something dimmable and in the 6000k (white) spectrum.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

I could use some lighting suggestions. I just moved into a new apartment and I have an extra bedroom that is my office/hobby room. I just got a LED lamp but it still feels too dark for modeling. Heres what it looks like

Can anyone suggest a light that would make it super bright over my modeling desk? Preferably something dimmable and in the 6000k (white) spectrum.

Go for a dedicated posable craft/hobby lamp. I got one of these from Amazon for about £100 last year ("Neatfi XL") and it's made a huge difference to my work as I can pull it down close for detail stuff or push it away when necessary. It's got 4 stages of dimming, but I only really use the brighest one most of the time.

I'm not sure how bright your one is but this one's 2,200 lumens and I can easily work in a room with no other lights on when I'm using it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I also have a Neatfi XL and think it is great. The articulation on it can be really helpful in some instances as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QT9PW12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I use an Ikea halogen for spot lighting, a flourescent strip for main lighting, and a long winding strip of leds to make it nice and bright for my old peepers. And a standard ceiling boob for overall room light.
The halogen is good for being aimable from different directions. Gives some better depth to small parts that way.

The only issue I have is when using uv curing resin. There's some.uv from one of the sources, so the resin very slowly gets thicker. Usually not a problem unless I have a puddle of the stuff I'm working with.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions folks I ordered up a Neatfi lamp on Amazon.

I had another question. Does anyone know of any kind of glue you can use for test fitting plastic parts together? I'm looking for something that will hold but will also release easy. I've tried using tape for test fitting but it just doesn't hold that well. Maybe Elmer's glue would work for this?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

Thanks for the suggestions folks I ordered up a Neatfi lamp on Amazon.

I had another question. Does anyone know of any kind of glue you can use for test fitting plastic parts together? I'm looking for something that will hold but will also release easy. I've tried using tape for test fitting but it just doesn't hold that well. Maybe Elmer's glue would work for this?

Poster tac/sticky tac/blue tac, probably?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
A tiny spot of super glue often does the trick depending on the application.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

note to thread:

When none of your reference photos show rust on a M163/M113, don't weather your M163 with rusting!!!

Once this one is done, I will be building another (eventually)

look at this beautiful patina!!!

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 3, 2022

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Another day, another T-34.

This is the Border kit, as far as I'm aware the only makers of a T-34 with spaced armour. The quality is good, except the fenders don't go on very well and the turret goes together incredibly poorly. I also had a lot of trouble getting the driver's periscopes to go into the hatch. This would probably be easier if they were separate rather than one unit. The tow cables look kind of thin to me too.

The box says that the tank has a full turret interior, which is a lie. All you get is the gun breech, elevation quadrant, and coax machine gun.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just saw there was confirmation on the Model Space forums that Model Space, the US arm of DeAgostini Models, is going out of business. Shame, since many of their kits were quite nice. They're still going to run operations in Europe, but that means if anyone from NA wants one of their partworks, they'd have to use a reshipper.

The only portion of their business that will directly sale to NA is their Fanhome site, which seems to mostly be overpriced junk. They have a nice half-size R2-D2 partwork there, and rumors a nice AT-AT kit will be out soon, but the rest of Fanhome is dogshit quality action figures they've slapped a "collectible" label on and charging 5 times their worth.

I've had my eye on the Sovereign of The Seas ship for a while now, but I guess I'll have to pay UK prices and shipping with a reshipper if I ever go for it. Big blow to the ship modelling community, as they had a lot of interesting stuff, and second to none instructions for everything.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

Another day, another T-34.

This is the Border kit, as far as I'm aware the only makers of a T-34 with spaced armour. The quality is good, except the fenders don't go on very well and the turret goes together incredibly poorly. I also had a lot of trouble getting the driver's periscopes to go into the hatch. This would probably be easier if they were separate rather than one unit. The tow cables look kind of thin to me too.

The box says that the tank has a full turret interior, which is a lie. All you get is the gun breech, elevation quadrant, and coax machine gun.

I mean, it's a T-34, so there's not really much more than that in the turret. :v:

That said, nice looking results there.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just saw there was confirmation on the Model Space forums that Model Space, the US arm of DeAgostini Models, is going out of business. Shame, since many of their kits were quite nice. They're still going to run operations in Europe, but that means if anyone from NA wants one of their partworks, they'd have to use a reshipper.

The only portion of their business that will directly sale to NA is their Fanhome site, which seems to mostly be overpriced junk. They have a nice half-size R2-D2 partwork there, and rumors a nice AT-AT kit will be out soon, but the rest of Fanhome is dogshit quality action figures they've slapped a "collectible" label on and charging 5 times their worth.

I've had my eye on the Sovereign of The Seas ship for a while now, but I guess I'll have to pay UK prices and shipping with a reshipper if I ever go for it. Big blow to the ship modelling community, as they had a lot of interesting stuff, and second to none instructions for everything.

That is a huge bummer. I built the R2-D2 and it was quite a build. I also have their Samurai Armor but have not finished that one yet. Kind of in a state of perpetual delay. Was really interested in some of their planes. This is just a real shame.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That is a huge bummer. I built the R2-D2 and it was quite a build. I also have their Samurai Armor but have not finished that one yet. Kind of in a state of perpetual delay. Was really interested in some of their planes. This is just a real shame.

How did the R2 work out cost wise? I saw it and got super excited and then reading the description it sounded like it was going to cost $1500 and take 2 years to get all the parts.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

How did the R2 work out cost wise? I saw it and got super excited and then reading the description it sounded like it was going to cost $1500 and take 2 years to get all the parts.

It was very expensive. That sounds about right, both in cost and time. I built it with my son and the monthly installments actually made it a reasonably easy project to complete. Looks really nice. It is quite big as well.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Does anyone know of any good paint racks for Tamiya acrylic jars? Preferably one that has slots for both the 10ml and 23ml jars although I can live one that can just accommodate the 10ml. I looked on Amazon and it seems like most of their racks are designed for dropper style bottles like Vallejo paints.

Also thanks to everyone that recommended a Neatfi lamp I got one and it's BRIGHT.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

Does anyone know of any good paint racks for Tamiya acrylic jars? Preferably one that has slots for both the 10ml and 23ml jars although I can live one that can just accommodate the 10ml. I looked on Amazon and it seems like most of their racks are designed for dropper style bottles like Vallejo paints.

Also thanks to everyone that recommended a Neatfi lamp I got one and it's BRIGHT.

Have you tried looking on Etsy? There are a lot of people on Etsy that have CnC machines and make hobby related stuff, but at a scale too low to own a proper store or sell on Amazon. I have found a lot of really good job y related stuff on Etsy, and I just started looking a few months ago.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

If you're prepared to order from the UK, EBMA Hobby have a great selection of paint racks and modular storage units, I've been slowly covering my benchspace/wall with them over the last year or so. They come flatpacked and can be easily assembled with wood glue - in fact because they're laser cut the fit is so spot-on that it's actually a pleasure putting them together. https://ebmahobby.co.uk

That photo I posted before of my Neatfi lamp has the racks in the background, for reference.

The chap who runs it has actually made some custom units for me, half/half drawers and mixed drawers for different types of paint which is cool. He's trading at next weekend's Scottish National Model Show - which I may aswell plug here in case anyone else is in this part of the world - I'll be with the Aberdeen Modellers Society stand.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

tidal wave emulator posted:

If you're prepared to order from the UK, EBMA Hobby have a great selection of paint racks and modular storage units, I've been slowly covering my benchspace/wall with them over the last year or so. They come flatpacked and can be easily assembled with wood glue - in fact because they're laser cut the fit is so spot-on that it's actually a pleasure putting them together. https://ebmahobby.co.uk
Somewhere there's a scale modeler with a closet full of in-box paint racks that he swears he's gonna build some day.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The answer is always clear acrylic nail polish racks.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The answer is always clear acrylic nail polish racks.

Yep. They're pretty much always gonna be cheaper than anything purpose made.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
It isn't the ghost of kyiv, but it is still a diorama mocking the war. How about one of the damaged Moskva.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgmkkIdpbQY

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I have reached a terrible moment of indecision. Satin or matte topcoat for tanks?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

matte unless you are doing a factory fresh or parade level of weathering.

Even museum tanks get UV damaged really quick.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The only place where I use satin varnish is for skin and leather. Tanks are always matte (with the exception of bare metal and glass).

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Matte it is.

1/72 H35 and 39-ish from S-model. They're extremely tiny, and painting little French tanks is a delight. I wish S-model kits weren't getting harder to obtain over here. The Stuart just for fun - they don't even come up to the beltline of a 1/35 light tank.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I never got around to doing those kits. The teeeeeny phot etch is intimidating.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

It's honestly not so bad. A gel superglue is definitely mandatory, though. I can't imagine trying to do tiny PE with a liquid cement.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Saw this and thought of this thread...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Trigger warning that poo poo.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

grassy gnoll posted:

It's honestly not so bad. A gel superglue is definitely mandatory, though. I can't imagine trying to do tiny PE with a liquid cement.
I will bear that in mind if I ever pull it out of storage on a trip home.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

grassy gnoll posted:

Matte it is.

1/72 H35 and 39-ish from S-model. They're extremely tiny, and painting little French tanks is a delight. I wish S-model kits weren't getting harder to obtain over here. The Stuart just for fun - they don't even come up to the beltline of a 1/35 light tank.

I wonder if these kits were based on the tanks in Kubinka. They also have a German-capture Hotchkiss repainted in French colours.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Potentially, but S-model likes to throw all the possible variants into their kits to save on molding. This was an H35 box, but came with the bodies and additional components for the H39, along with the German capture cupola. I threw that on there because it looked neat and didn't do my research.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
According to scalemates the box just has some extra parts added now and then. I bought the Pz.Kpfw. 38H735(f) box version because World of Tanks and was pleasantly surprised that the extra cupola options etc were there to do something else with the other kit.

Which , ye know, obviously never happened... :negative:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My Revell rebox of a monogram F-104G came with an extra navy style refueling probe and ejection seat for no good reason. Moldings be weird.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Designing new molds is really expensive, throwing an existing sprue into a box is almost free by comparison. I think the Hobby Boss ZIS-30 kit I built straight up had the whole T-20 kit in the box with the ZIS-2 sprue tacked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The few times I built SPGs on the chassis of other vehicles I was more often surprised at the lack of turret parts than the inclusion of them TBH.