Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

There's a text adventure thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3966237

It is not very active, but it is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Jedit posted:

There's a text adventure thread?

In our hearts, isn’t every thread

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Isaac Asimov talks about "robutts".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9b4tg640ys

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Levar Burton's Aftermath turned out to be really bad.
Multiple ongoing race riots, NASA turbocharging climate change (and ozone layer depletion) by doing 24+ Space Shuttle launches per year, Burton predicting the first African-American president will get elected in 2012, Burton then has that same person getting assassinated 4 days later by a domestic terrorist, every race ongoing riot turns into a race war, st louis & a bunch of the gulf of mexico coastland gets vanished by climate change, black people start getting abducted and skinned alive so that rich people of every nation people can get UV radiation resistant skin grafts, the main heroine becomes a discount bin Professor Xavier psychic and also has spiderman style "danger sense" flashes whenever plot shoehorning has to happen.

No longer wonder why Aftermath got memory-holed hard.

Slowdive
Jun 9, 2016
Great recs, thanks everyone. These look especially intriguing:

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Anything by Lem, Gnomon by Nick Harkaway. David Zindell’s Neverness.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Sinatrapod posted:

That's exactly what happened! Sorry to poo-poo your good works, Andoh. I still don't think the book is great but that's not their cross to bear. Man, the blowback must have been pretty zesty for them to run it back that hard.

Now I kind of want to try it again and see if the narration was poisoning my opinion.
It's so frustrating when this happens. The most notable one in my head was the quantum thief / jean la flambeur series because the first two books were narrated by Scott Brick, and the final book in the trilogy by Roger Wayne who did an absolutely terrible job. Completely different pronunciations of everything, bad cadence, different accents per char, just an incredible dumpster fire of what not to do when you're hired to finish up a series.

Whoever made that call over at Macmillan really dumpstered my enjoyment and Scott Brick didn't even know they brought in a rando to finish the series: https://twitter.com/ScottBrick/status/493312668631957504

As far as I know they never re-recorded the third book.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 4, 2022

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

quantumfoam posted:

Levar Burton's Aftermath turned out to be really bad.
Multiple ongoing race riots, NASA turbocharging climate change (and ozone layer depletion) by doing 24+ Space Shuttle launches per year, Burton predicting the first African-American president will get elected in 2012, Burton then has that same person getting assassinated 4 days later by a domestic terrorist, every race ongoing riot turns into a race war, st louis & a bunch of the gulf of mexico coastland gets vanished by climate change, black people start getting abducted and skinned alive so that rich people of every nation people can get UV radiation resistant skin grafts, the main heroine becomes a discount bin Professor Xavier psychic and also has spiderman style "danger sense" flashes whenever plot shoehorning has to happen.

No longer wonder why Aftermath got memory-holed hard.

ngl the way you describe it sounds kind of awesome.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
Man, I don't think I've ever had an experience where a series changed narrators in mid-stream and NOT felt like it was a downgrade. Something about how different people voice characters and pronounce words shifting from novel to novel just absolutely shatters my desire to continue even if the later narrator is quite good; once in a while I can bear with it and accept the new voice but typically it just means the death of the series to me. I'm looking at you, Red Knight series. Also to a lesser degree at you, Malazan. I totally understand that probably nobody sets out to do this, but it has basically become the only reason I'll let go of my bloody-minded stubbornness and drop a series most of the time.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you read the book yourself it never changes narrators op

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Larry Parrish posted:

if you read the book yourself it never changes narrators op

That's a pretty dopey thing to say when you don't know why somebody prefers audiobooks.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lots of audiobooks have multiple narrators.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Lots of audiobooks have multiple narrators.

This was about a series changing after some number of books, that's jarring to me too.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

silvergoose posted:

This was about a series changing after some number of books, that's jarring to me too.
I think it depends.

Red Dwarf, which I think I've mentioned before ITT, shifts narrative focus over the series, and it makes total sense for each audiobook to have a different narrator.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
I prefer audiobooks because I find I enjoy experiencing books more that way!

But yeah multiple narrators can be exceptionally rad when it's done on purpose. They usually have some direction and actually pronounce characters names the same way. Substitute narrators pull this off like 10 percent of the time, it feels like.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of audiobooks, I'm looking for some recommendations for good genre stuff that, and that is important because me being me, has absolutely no sex scenes in it. I'm pretty close to running out of Discworld and that's about the only series I remember that fits the criteria. Any others?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

anilEhilated posted:

Speaking of audiobooks, I'm looking for some recommendations for good genre stuff that, and that is important because me being me, has absolutely no sex scenes in it. I'm pretty close to running out of Discworld and that's about the only series I remember that fits the criteria. Any others?

Couple pages back had some recs.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
The narrator for Gnomon is tip top. I kept listening to a rather substandard trilogy a while back just because his voice was such a great thing to have on. Really excited to listen to Gnomon which was also a good read

Oh god. Err can't guarantee there isn't sex in it though. I don't remember any but that's not really conclusive

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

anilEhilated posted:

Wayfarers series by Becky Chambers

Murderbot series by Martha Wells. Main Character is sickened by the thought of it.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Beachcomber posted:

Wayfarers series by Becky Chambers

I mean, it's all as tasteful as textually possible, but there is a nonzero amount of lizard fuckin' there.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HopperUK posted:

That's a pretty dopey thing to say when you don't know why somebody prefers audiobooks.

If you run the screenreader yourself it also doesn't change narrators

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

Murderbot series by Martha Wells. Main Character is sickened by the thought of it.
Oh, that's a good call. I've read them but it will be nice to revisit. Thanks!

Ceebees posted:

I mean, it's all as tasteful as textually possible, but there is a nonzero amount of lizard fuckin' there.
Yeah. It's honestly a pretty frustrating task, all I got on the first try was Discworld and Hitchhiker's Guide.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The King Must Die (Theseus #1) by Mary Renault - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCGJ6UO/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Doesn't hitchhiker have like half a book where he bangs his girlfriend in the sky after they figure out the trick to flying. But most people only read the first and that doesn't have any sex as far as I remember.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ceebees posted:

Its only in the first and third books. The second and fourth have no loving at all, though the fourth definitely talks a lot about it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Doesn't hitchhiker have like half a book where he bangs his girlfriend in the sky after they figure out the trick to flying. But most people only read the first and that doesn't have any sex as far as I remember.

See what a piece of eggshell I have found you.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 5, 2022

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

anilEhilated posted:

Sanderson's stuff is definitely free of sex scenes if you like him.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

The first two books are by far the best ones.

The scene with Fenchurch and Arthur, I think, is mostly there so Douglas Adams could make jokes about Dire Straits and the song Tunnel of Love.
I only know it's that song because I emailed him about it decades ago, when he was still posting with some irregularity on Usenet, and he shared that which song was referenced in that part of the story.

It's also not really a sex scene unless you're puritanical or ace, and can't even deal with foreplay.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 5, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's not a scene per se, but there is also much talk of Eccentrica Galumbits, the triple breasted whore of Eroticon-6

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

Speaking of audiobooks, I'm looking for some recommendations for good genre stuff that, and that is important because me being me, has absolutely no sex scenes in it.

That’s an uncommon kink.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tiny detail but as an asexual person, 'ace' doesn't necessarily mean sex-repulsed. Else how did I read all those goddamn prehistorical romance books eh???

...Jondalar is trash she shoulda stuck with Ranec.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ceebees posted:

It's discussed but not onscreen, as far as I remember? Maybe that is a bridge too far.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's also not really a sex scene unless you're puritanical or ace, and can't even deal with foreplay.

It's not like I know what he meant by sex-free lol. Just trying to cover the bases

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

HopperUK posted:

If I remember correctly, she was absolutely mesmerized by Jondalar's gigantic wang. Neanderthals just didn't compare to that pure uncut homo sapiens sapiens.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

That’s an uncommon kink.
Sure is.

If it really needs clarification, graphic descriptions are a no-no and discussion and foreplay are iffy. Anyhow, thanks for all the recs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tiniestacorn posted:

If I remember correctly, she was absolutely mesmerized by Jondalar's gigantic wang. Neanderthals just didn't compare to that pure uncut homo sapiens sapiens.

Ayla used to be - and probably still is - referred to in SF fandom as Ayla of the Cavernous Vagina, because Jondalar ("the Wonder Schlong") falls for her because she's the only woman who's ever taken all of his dick. The sex in Auel is even more terrible than the Mary Sue plotting.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There's a reason that that series is above any other on the "read it until you hate it" scale. The vast majority of people I know who've tried the series like the first book, but only one made it to the end of the last.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

She writes about everything with the same level of minute detail. And she is very talented, because she can make 'grinding herbs' written about like that seem honestly interesting. But she writes about the sex that way too.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Tiny detail but as an asexual person, 'ace' doesn't necessarily mean sex-repulsed. Else how did I read all those goddamn prehistorical romance books eh???

That's a good point, and I don't know why I wrote the other thing since I should know that.
It's one of the parts of Perfect Rhythm by Jae that I found interesting, and that book is a really sweet romance book that I think more people need to read.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Nicole Kornher-Stace is an ace author and therefore absolutely zero sex in her book Firebreak .

Natural History of Dragons is the first in a five book series where I think the first has an allusion to sex, but nothing in scene and then the next four books are free of it. (Also, audio read by Kate Reading whose my favorite narrator.)

And I've only read the first in the series but I believe the Binti novella series by Nnedi Okorafor is more interested in math than anything romantic in case you wanted more sci-fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
And let's be honest. Even those of us that are really into the sex, very often do not want to read terrible descriptions written by authors either very much sharing their specific kink, or just absolutely ruining the physical act with terribad descriptions and words.

Spurting and moist are words I can well live without in my scifi/fantasy. I'm usually very happy with a whole "fade to black" type scenario if characters are getting it on.

Well written sex scenes are very rare because it's such a matter of taste. Let alone when attempted by writers that have women breastily boobing everywhere.