Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i think it's just this. they lined up the camera real good, and the lighting and similar floor/counter coloring make it all run together. i put arrows where the counter extends past the frame of the image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the actual floor still looks incredibly similar, bottom right corner

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

since the board is held on by bolts and not screws, I actually have no idea how this effects the capacity. I suspect it's based on the size of the bolt head and if the shelf is wood or veneered MDF.

but as dumb as it is, i bet it probably wouldn't fail for anything they actually use it for (especially since the TV is so close above--too close to use it as a bookshelf)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Slanderer posted:

since the board is held on by bolts and not screws, I actually have no idea how this effects the capacity. I suspect it's based on the size of the bolt head and if the shelf is wood or veneered MDF.

but as dumb as it is, i bet it probably wouldn't fail for anything they actually use it for (especially since the TV is so close above--too close to use it as a bookshelf)

I just hate it so much

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

I think this is an almost cute idea for a floating bookshelf (the book ends hold it to the wall!) if you understand this can't hold any significant weight but the TV is hanging so low that you can't actually put anything on it so it's basically the shelving equivalent of one of those giant fake spoilers

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Vim Fuego posted:

Hey sorry this isn't about government contracting fraud, but

There's an update here.

Album here
Update on the contractor who horribly cut my joists. Spoiler Alert - It got worse!

quote:

Many of you commented on my previous post asking about a contractor who cut my floor joists. There were so many comments I couldn't begin to respond. As things with the GC continued to devolve I decided to go quiet until things got sorted out, just in case he happened to come across the post. To answer everyone's question, yes, we fired him. How we got there was quite a ride. Here is a small dump of photos to accompany this post It's long, so the TLDR is that the GC did a crappy job on the fix but we ultimately got there. He became a complete dick and asked us to immediately sign a waiver of his liability or else he quits. We fired him and have found a new GC who is going way out of his way for us.

After my last post, the GC attempted to repair the joists with straps. Obviously this does not fix things. I told the GC I was not comfortable with this, and he attempted to tell me this is a common and acceptable fix. He then attempted to reassure me by saying "Plus, the cabinets will be below this section." Yes, he really tried to tell me the cabinets are structural.

At that point I insisted we cease work until an engineer can design a fix. I spoke with an SE friend who was not able to take the job but could look at the home and quickly advise me. He assured me that the damage did not put us in immediate danger and did not need temporary reinforcement. It was just likely to sag over time.

We hired an engineer who came up with a plan to span headers between good joists to support the weakened joists. I obtained a copy of the stamped plan and approved the go-ahead.

When I got home from work, I found that the GC did not complete the work to the engineer's drawings. The plan was to reinforce the un-notched joist between the two sections of notched joists. Then a header would be run from that reinforced joist to the untouched joists on either side of the notched joists. However, in one section he ran the header from the reinforced joist to a notched joist.

I called him to ask about it and he said the plans were wrong, that there was no good joist to run it to. This is not true, but I've learned by this point that arguing that would get us nowhere. As a special touch, the GC used some used wood that is painted. I am thinking he pulled this off someone else's deck on the way over or something.

We now have to have the engineer come up with a second set of drawings. We will build up the back side of the cut joist which is attached to the header so that it is supported by the chase wall below it. That's better explained by looking at the drawings and photos I linked.

Once that work is done, I tell him I have not yet seen the drawings for this work and I am not going to allow sheetrock to go up until I see those. He assures me I will see them tonight. So we decide to use the evening to shop for backsplash tile.

On the way home, GC emails us the drawing saying "Please sign by 6:15." That was in 15 minutes! I open it up, wondering what he is asking me to sign. It's the drawings, plus some sort of affidavit that I can only assume he expects me to sign to release him of liability.

My wife calls him to ask what this is all about. He tells her that it's nothing more than "a statement of fact." In a short conversation, he tells my wife that I'm an rear end in a top hat and he doesn't have time for this. He gives her 30 minutes "or we are done." Eff this guy, I'm eating some dinner with my family.

As my wife and I talk about what we are going to do at this point, which certainly doesn't include signing this thing, he texts my wife "Tick tock. Time's up!" We text him back saying we aren't signing.

The next morning we begin working out the details we need before we fire the GC. We need to know if our cabinets have been paid for by the GC or how we can secure them, and we need to know if the electricians can still come by and finish the job without going through the GC. We call each of them, and they say they will get back to us since the person who answered can't help directly without talking to someone higher up in their respective company.

Almost immediately after those calls, we get a call from the GC, who is suddenly singing a different tune. For the first time, he is taking ownership of his mistake - but not really cuz he's also blaming the HVAC guy. He's being super friendly and denying that he said he would quit. We end the call and decide to leave him hanging while we look for new contractors, just to make sure we can recover.

We found a new contractor who is significantly more expensive, but is SOOOOO good. He is over a year and a half out on new jobs, but he says he will see what we can do. We txt the GC telling him we want to end things amicably, paying for the electrical and HVAC work and he agrees to release the cabinets to us. He says OK, so we send him a termination letter and request an itemized invoice. At the time of this post, we have not seen that signed or seen an invoice.

By the next evening our new GC has his guys over trimming and shimming the studs, which the original GC wasn't even going to do. His guys stayed there late, did meticulous work, and cleaned up thoroughly before thanking us and heading out. What a difference! The GC has got sheetrock lined up for Monday and has agreed to get us through the cabinet install, and we can discuss options for next steps once we get there.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
You should send a pic to the old contractor and say "this is what a good job would look like"

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

sporklift posted:

I'm looking to replace some windows in my house so of course Instagram has me covered.

There is an architect I like who is good for one ridiculously over-engineered mechanical feature in every house:
Nice door!

Uh, office?

Yeah, please let the window open

I don't even:

Very practical lighting lowering/raising system

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
E. Nvmd

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

gvibes posted:

There is an architect I like who is good for one ridiculously over-engineered mechanical feature in every house:
Nice door!

This is one of those things that I think would be fun in like an expensive vacation home, but if it’s like your house-house you’re getting tired of it within a month and it never gets opened again.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Would definitely poo poo in the butterfly toilet.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

gvibes posted:

This looks like a bunch of houses I've seen on Grand Designs. I assume it's in an expensive location to be so tiny and absurd

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

gvibes posted:

Very practical lighting lowering/raising system

Also: fireman's pole!

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
It Came From Reddit: While demolishing their old vacation home, they discovered that the bathroom was actually inside a minibus, shower, toilet, and all.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
:what:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So did they just think the 4 foot high ceiling was normal or something?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

rofl

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Cyrano4747 posted:

So did they just think the 4 foot high ceiling was normal or something?

Basically.

quote:

Bit more info: we bought the vacation home in the 90s and there was already an old wooden hut with an outside kitchen. Inside there was a lower doorframe leading to the pantry (driver's cabin of the bus) and the bathroom (back of the bus). We always wondered why the ceiling was so low but never put it together until today

To adress a few questions that came up multiple times in the comments:

yes, I and my family are very small

having a small 'Schrebergarten' in Germany isn't a rich-people-thing (post-war history is interesting, the 'right' to have a spot to plant produce on a small green patch of land is still a thing)

it's not unheard of to have started a vacation plot/lot(?) with just a camper-van and then expand (it usually just got replaced instead of incorporated in the structure)

the low ceiling was never weird to us considering all the info above and looking at other huts in the community

not everyone on the internet is from the US - no need to insult me on the basis of your american understanding of the world

Pre-demo album: https://imgur.com/a/IrBZqbM
Album from the demolition: https://imgur.com/a/zRjnmk8
Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasfuck/comments/uicurg/were_demolishing_our_old_vacation_home_after/

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

You're gonna be thankful for this one when you get a bad case of food poisoning and it starts coming out both ends at once.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Are they doing a live action remake of the Rocko's Modern Life where a contractor turns every room in his house into a bathroom?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

You're gonna be thankful for this one when you get a bad case of food poisoning and it starts coming out both ends at once.

Serious. Sitting on the shitter and puking into a trashcan between your legs or the adjacent bathtub just doesn't cut it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i want that butterfly toilet seat

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

You know who won't be thankful? The person on the other toilet.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Bought a house built in 1958 in December 2021. As the wind blows, you can hear the tree squeak against the roof. The tree is a white oak, possibly over 150 years old and very healthy. Do I need to remove this tree? (Reddit)

Congrats on your impending new skylight and log bench OP.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There is a 0% chance this person will be able to keep that place insured. They just haven't had the property insurance company they picked do a drive by and notify them of the 30-day termination yet.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Maybe they could lower the house.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Maybe it's a bizarre plan to have the tree uproot and launch the AC unit like some kind of weird siege engine.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

There is a 0% chance this person will be able to keep that place insured. They just haven't had the property insurance company they picked do a drive by and notify them of the 30-day termination yet.

God I wish. There are very few underwriting-sent inspections at policy issuance. The agents are supposed to do it, but labor's been cut to the bone over the last 20-years.

Most of the time it's me doing the risk reporting during a site inspection for a claim.

Over the years, we wrote a ton of multi-million dollar properties in the five boroughs of NYC as well as Long Island, and no one seems to have risk-inspected any of them. It was big fun during Ida last September. One guy had an in-ground pool half in & out of the house; it didn't take much rain to turn that into a flood zone.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

God I wish. There are very few underwriting-sent inspections at policy issuance. The agents are supposed to do it, but labor's been cut to the bone over the last 20-years.

While I'm sure it depends on the area and insurer, they are absolutely 100% doing it around here. I know someone who bought just a few months ago got their term notice/put a new roof on the place letter, switched insurers and 60 days later got another one (bought them enough time to get a crew around to put the roof on).

So not every company is just letting this poo poo ride.

Sair
May 11, 2007

This thing was several feet off the ground?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Looks like a small cabin type place on a lake, literally nothing is off the table with those, and weird "features" are the norm, so yeah, a weirdly short bathroom is just...whatever. "It's always been that way".

Without looking, I'm going to say Ozarks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That one is almost certainly a B&B (note bathtub in room and Victorian bedstead) and the twee is part of the attraction. I once saw (didn't sleep in!) a B&B which offered a teddy bear in each room.

I wonder if "lots of Victorian furniture" is still as much of a selling point as it was in the '90s.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If it's yellow, let it mellow
If it's brown, GOD WILL SMITE IT DOWN

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Hey, sometimes god needs to use the shitter too

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay what kind of coffee were they drinking though

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bad Munki posted:

Looks like a small cabin type place on a lake, literally nothing is off the table with those, and weird "features" are the norm, so yeah, a weirdly short bathroom is just...whatever. "It's always been that way".

Without looking, I'm going to say Ozarks.

Yeah, being one of those German "garden" houses makes a LOT of sense. It's really common, especially around the cities, to find people with a tiny lot out on the edge of town or maybe a short drive away, and they'll have something that's half-way between a shack and a cabin on it. Similar to what you can also find in Russia with dachas, at least on the poorer end of the scale where it's something you cobbled together yourself rather than some oligarch's summer house.

I lived in Berlin for a bit and I remember a patch of those out on one of the outer edges of the metro system. The train went over them near a raised bridge so you could see down over the fences etc. Some of them were remarkably well put together, some of them were basically tool sheds, but even the ones that had some craftsmanship all had the feeling of something someone's dad built who knew what he was doing rather than something an actual professional threw up.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

After eating at Taco Bell a lot of people feel Thor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm sure I've mentioned it in this thread but there's a house near me that's just a house frame built around a derelict RV.

I only know that because it used to be 3 walls and a roof around an RV.