Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

There's about an inch or so between the hole and that bezel so I doubt that would fit. Maybe I could have used my tiny ratcheting bit driver thing if I had thought about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-03044A...51599402&sr=8-5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
You can also use a pair of soft plyers to get it deeper in, make sure you have it threaded by hand as far as it will go - it should be easy turning if it's all lined up right. Or grab a shorty bit (like from your 90 degree ratchet gadget) with vice grips or plyers and turn it a quarter turn at a time. Keep some matching paint on hand to hide your happy little accidents.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Suburban Dad posted:

There's about an inch or so between the hole and that bezel so I doubt that would fit. Maybe I could have used my tiny ratcheting bit driver thing if I had thought about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-03044A...51599402&sr=8-5

I own the same one. Gathers dust until I need to adjust that one screw on my sewing machine that is inaccessible otherwise.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I actually had one of those come with a bed frame. I didn't realize that I could pull the bit out.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004
Wonder if you could (or could have) replaced the screw with an equivalent hex head. Seems like it’d be easy to do up with an Allen key.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Anyone know offhand the hex key size for a Hyper Tough oscillating multitool attachment? I lost the key and its just slightly too big that a 1/4" hex key spins freely and too small for any of my others. Is this some special size im gonna have to hunt down?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It might be a metric, e.g. a 7mm which is .276".

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm patching up the grout where I couldn't get out all the efflorescence, the mixing instructions say this. how do I translate this to a mix ratio? I have no idea how much volume one pound of grout is. I'm thinking being super conservative with the amount of water is oversaturation is what causes efflorescence in the first place.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 4, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I would use a kitchen scale to weigh it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Fill a cup with powder and put it on a scale?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nope. If you have a scale that tares, put the cup on, weigh it, hit the tare button, then fill the cup until it reads the correct weight.

If you don't have a scale that tares, weigh the cup, add the number of grams you want, and fill the cup until it reads the correct weight.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah that makes sense, thought there was some magic way I could go about not needing to find a scale :p

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This one's fifteen bucks, works great, and will improve your baking.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
The best part about starting to weigh your baking is realizing how far from reality volume based measurements are from accurate. Recipe won't work, then it turns out that finding a weight based one uses very similar amounts of everything but the flour is a full cup less or something.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I told my installer and he's going to regrout it. He blamed the grout brand (tec accucolor), I really have no idea what happened, because his installers could have just used too much water. Anyway he also charged me 1600 for the labor when others wanted 3k so I'm being pretty lenient hah

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I haven't been following along with the story but any tinted or chemically reacted product is going to have variations from lot to lot, and even based on the weather to a degree for some of this stuff. You can do everything mostly right and still wind up with different results. Sounds like they're making it right which is the end goal anyways.

Plus you know they're mixing by "feel" unless it's something that won't set unless it's super accurate, so it could be a mistake that wasn't caught until it cured.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I recently got some grout caulk in the same color as my 15 year old grout and was pretty shocked at how well it color matched. I was even able to lightly rub some over a stain to mask it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

I haven't been following along with the story but any tinted or chemically reacted product is going to have variations from lot to lot, and even based on the weather to a degree for some of this stuff. You can do everything mostly right and still wind up with different results. Sounds like they're making it right which is the end goal anyways.

Plus you know they're mixing by "feel" unless it's something that won't set unless it's super accurate, so it could be a mistake that wasn't caught until it cured.

I talked to someone who did professional grout cleaning and sealing, and he said that if there's an issue with the product (if you are using just one bag, which they did), typically the off-color will be more consistent, and that if it's patchy it's most likely efflorescence, which can be verified by the fact that white vinegar reacted with it, and salt came up eventually. This was all done with one bag. However at this point vinegar is not reacting, so I might have also done a bit of damage to the grout by using the vinegar too much.

But yeah I have a ton of the grout left, and even if he wasn't available it's easy for me to patch itup

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
We have a shadowbox style cedar fence that needs stained. It was installed in Sept 2020 so it's about 1.5 years old. We've waited a little longer than we would have liked, but at least we've given the wood plenty of time to stabilize. We've heard good things about Arborcoat from Benjamin Moore, and live super close to one of their locations.

Our plan was to go with the semitransparent version, knowing that it wouldn't provide as much UV protection but don't like the look of semisolid that nearly completely obscures the wood grain. I've read up a decent amount about fence staining so have a pretty good idea of what I need to do, but wanted to ask a few questions.

With a shadowbox fence it would be a pain to get all the areas with a roller/brush, so we were planning to rent a sprayer from Benjamin Moore and spray the stain on followed by backbrushing it. Any general tips on spraying and backbrushing? We want to make sure we don't overspray too much so I was thinking of making a big drop cloth on a frame that we can lean on the opposite side while we spray, but I don't know if that's a good idea or unnecessary.

The other main question is regarding prep. Since it's been over a year of course there are some areas where the fence has some dirt, blemishes, etc. I seem to get mixed messages on power washing. I just got an electric power washer so I could give it a quick clean, but I don't want to damage the wood. Good idea or bad idea to power wash first? Also, our fence doesn't look new obviously, but it's not completely weathered and gray. Is it necessary to use some kind of wood renewer like Benjamin Moore Restore, or can we just start right away with staining?

I want to get the products so I can be ready when I have a good stretch of weather. Thanks for any help!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have an 80% furnace I may consider getting rid of and replacing it with a central heat pump. My question is this: I have an atmosphere vented water tank that taps into the furnace flue. What kind of company would I hire to have them put a separate chimney liner for the water tank?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

I was also thinking, if he is going to regrout, which I believe is removing the old grout and putting in new grout, if there is an issue with the product it will just happen again. So I'm leaning toward just doing a few patches and seeing if that works first.

he said he thought the grout I used (tec accucolor) was not as good as my bathroom tile grout (superior), reference the prices, but the prices are both $25-30 for a 25 pound bag.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

actionjackson posted:

I'm patching up the grout where I couldn't get out all the efflorescence, the mixing instructions say this. how do I translate this to a mix ratio?...

Pour grout powder into a mixing container.

Add water until it is the consistency of peanut butter, or slightly thinner.

Apply.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Pour grout powder into a mixing container.

Add water until it is the consistency of peanut butter, or slightly thinner.

Apply.

yep, did that earlier today, followed all the instructions, thankfully I already have my big grout sponge and terry towels from my previous work on this

at this point, if it still doesn't fix the issue I'm just going to call TEC and ask for a few free bottles of their grout colorant, which is color matched and also seals. I would have just done this right away if I knew it was going to be so much work.

edit: it's pretty much just going back to how it was. might be a product issue, no idea. just going to get some colorant

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 5, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have an 80% furnace I may consider getting rid of and replacing it with a central heat pump. My question is this: I have an atmosphere vented water tank that taps into the furnace flue. What kind of company would I hire to have them put a separate chimney liner for the water tank?

Probably any HVAC company or they can recommend someone.

I had the pleasure of buying a house with an old water tank so I just went with a power vent so it just kicks out the side of the house next to my high efficiency furnace exhaust.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I’m about to replace a toilet. I’ve had a dump trailer at the house for other reasons but figure I should load the old toilet while the trailer is here. I’m looking for recommendations on what to cap the pipe with for hopefully not long but maybe a week or two until I purchase a new one.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Expansion plugs are probably what you need. 3 or 4 inch depending on the drain pipe.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

empty baggie posted:

I’m about to replace a toilet. I’ve had a dump trailer at the house for other reasons but figure I should load the old toilet while the trailer is here. I’m looking for recommendations on what to cap the pipe with for hopefully not long but maybe a week or two until I purchase a new one.

If you haven't removed it already, use this stuff when you do: https://www.homedepot.com/p/OATEY-Liquilock-6-oz-Toilet-Water-Solidifier-Gel-31419/202882917

So much easier than trying to shopvac the water out of the S-trap.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

empty baggie posted:

Oh, does everyone else not just jam an old towel in there?

In my defense, I'm 'Fixing It Fast' TM

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

empty baggie posted:

I put a small rag towel in a plastic shopping bag and jam it in.

Also seconding the powder to gel the the water, it's good poo poo.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is $1000/day for a concrete pump reasonable? Im getting varying estimates from looking online, from 300-1200.

For context, re-pouring a slab in a basement and the truck can't get through the gate in the back of the lot so will need to travel about 100ft through the pump. Just wanna double check I'm not getting totally ripped off

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Slugworth posted:

Oh, does everyone else not just jam an old towel in there?

In my defense, I'm 'Fixing It Fast' TM

That was my first instinct, but I figured I'd see if there was a better way.

Khizan posted:

If you haven't removed it already, use this stuff when you do: https://www.homedepot.com/p/OATEY-Liquilock-6-oz-Toilet-Water-Solidifier-Gel-31419/202882917

So much easier than trying to shopvac the water out of the S-trap.

Excellent. Thanks for the suggestion.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

empty baggie posted:

That was my first instinct, but I figured I'd see if there was a better way.

Excellent. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah there probably is a better way, but hard to beat the ease of stuffing a rag in there.

I tried that stuff for the first time a few months ago after seeing it suggested here and it's slick as hell, way easier than turning it upside down over the tub or stuffing towels in it to soak it up.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Is $1000/day for a concrete pump reasonable? Im getting varying estimates from looking online, from 300-1200.

For context, re-pouring a slab in a basement and the truck can't get through the gate in the back of the lot so will need to travel about 100ft through the pump. Just wanna double check I'm not getting totally ripped off

Things like this tend to cost different amounts regionally. I don't know the answer regardless, but I'm betting your only chance at someone else knowing it is if you mention where you live.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I'm willing to bet it's just about right if the margins elsewhere aren't obscene. Pump + truck to tow it and 2 people to operate it in addition to the rest of the crew? Might be a bit of a high margin item, they may also be incentivizing you to get it all done in a day. I bet if you needed it for a week the price would go down some.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

Things like this tend to cost different amounts regionally. I don't know the answer regardless, but I'm betting your only chance at someone else knowing it is if you mention where you live.

chicago, fwiw

H110Hawk posted:

I'm willing to bet it's just about right if the margins elsewhere aren't obscene. Pump + truck to tow it and 2 people to operate it in addition to the rest of the crew? Might be a bit of a high margin item, they may also be incentivizing you to get it all done in a day. I bet if you needed it for a week the price would go down some.

yeah he came back on it a little bit so its all gravy... but before he was talking "we gotta get a pump which is $1000/day to rent" and i took it literally but you're right - picking it up and towing/operating it is an expense to consider. honestly i expected it to tow behind the concrete truck and get operated by the truck driver :D

on an aside, i love watching a good finishing crew do a pour. the teamwork and synchronicity of the movements is just real nice to behold

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I loved watching the slab get poured across the street. Four or five did the pour and floating, then a few hours later a pair of dudes came back and did some kind of finishing work.

Now the blocklayers are at work. Something about watching almost a dozen dudes chop blocks and slap 'em up is mesmerizing and entertaining the gently caress out of my 2 youngest.

...then again, the youngest's video type of choice at the moment is split between roofing POVs and watching overgrown lots and sidewalks get lawnmowed.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
We've had utility work going on in front of our house for 2 weeks now. It's been a daily show from the breakfast table. We have little toy hard hats and high-vis vests so once everyone is ready for school we go out and watch them do stuff. At one point there were THREE backhoe's. The crew loves it because let's be honest it's fricken adorable.

Yesterday they just missed a legit crane plus two flat bed semi's parking there and lowering in whatever it is they're installing. It came right after they went to school and was gone by the time they got home.

Except some guy I assume is named Gary. He sat in a folding chair with a scowl for 2 days and would not wave at my 2.5 year old.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Except some guy I assume is named Gary. He sat in a folding chair with a scowl for 2 days and would not wave at my 2.5 year old.

Gary is just pissed he's not high enough on the food chain to get a no-show job and is stuck with merely a no-work job.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

picking it up and towing/operating it is an expense to consider. honestly i expected it to tow behind the concrete truck and get operated by the truck driver :D

Not to mention cleanup if the crew doesn't wash it out well. We charge $750 per day for our line pump before mark up, so it's ultimately more than $1,000 per day (sf bay area), which includes getting it to and from the site, cleaning the hoses afterward and scraping/scabbling off any dried concrete from the hopper once it's back to the yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Motronic posted:

Gary is just pissed he's not high enough on the food chain to get a no-show job and is stuck with merely a no-work job.

He was busy paving over your wellhead.