Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

I gotta say, seems like in the world of sorcery it would be extremely obvious that you should try to avoid being touched by the obviously-sorcerous pen weapon. Though the effect, while okay, seems kind of underwhelming for something that requires cutting the enemy with a weapon in a fight. Maybe there'll be more to it.

He does not need to cut them, he's hitting Hakari with the Ink in the pen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Glad you've been enjoying the series overall. One thing to note about Gege, and he's pretty open about it in his author comments at times, is that he's prone to making stuff really confusing either because he doesn't stick the landing on execution or he didn't fully understand something related to the ability during it's inception. Like how he kind of lucked into a proper explanation for Gojo's infinity but it's still kind of sus.

I was glad when Gojo described it as the same effect as achilles and the tortoise as that's exactly what I had thought of when he explained it to Jogo before that. His expansion and contraction of space I put down to adjusting the size of the infinity rather than what he was talking about with converging and diverging series though.

The six-eyes and the frame trapping I think have been the big weak spots of stuff getting explained. Frame trapping was a really neat idea but required way too much inference from the reader, I can definitely see it being an issue of him just not being able to get it out of his head onto the page for the reader. The six-eyes I'm fine with as "allows limitless users to fully unlock its potential" but it just seems to keep getting ascribed random abilities. Maybe just a case of its multiple facets being given over time makes it feel like that. The perfect curse energy reuse was a weird element though lol.

He's explained other stuff like that girl's ability Souther Crossn really well I thought despite it being a tricky ability. Meeting up with her and Hakari and the introduction to some lawyer is as far as I got last time.

Stuff I'm excited about are finding out more about Hakari after Okkotsu praised is strength so much, seeing Okkotsu do more, and also the fourth special grade sorcerer Yuki go all out. I had forgotten she was a special grade until I reread the flashback so definitely keen to see more of her.

I also hope Todo isn't a spent force because I love him so much and us Todo head's ate good during the Shibuya climax.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

He does not need to cut them, he's hitting Hakari with the Ink in the pen.

Ah, I thought he was using Hakari's blood as ink. What you describe makes more sense (though it's kind of hard to visually distinguish in black and white).

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I also hope Todo isn't a spent force because I love him so much and us Todo head's ate good during the Shibuya climax.
Given how Todo was able to use Boogie Woogie while clapping his hand against Mahito's I honestly question why they school doesn't graft a hand onto his body. Or maybe a prosthetic hand with cursed energy can substitute.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Super strong introduction to this lawyer character

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Caught up fully apart from the chapter that comes out today in a few hours.

Ok lotus is super cool, very keen to watch JJK 0 once it shows up on streaming after missing it in the cinema.

Cool that we’re gonna see Hakari fight too. I wonder if he is on Okkotsu and Gojo level. Both of them seem to think so but no one else does lol

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I find the official translations to be really janky and inconsistent. Looking into it, it seems like it's got something to do with the old translator being outed as a pedo and the new one trying to distance themselves from their work. Apparently the pedo translator's stuff isn't too good either because reading some of the fan interpretations from https://nanami-says.tumblr.com/ fit better/make more sense.

https://nanami-says.tumblr.com/post/649929685628862464/part-vi-13-chapters-65-68

this chapter was the one I had in mind, I think a lot of teenage Gojo's characterization/bromance with Getou is lost in the official

Current chapter
All this Hakari hype, I'm afraid Gege is setting up Hakari to job to the lightning past sorcerer dude they're hunting. Things have been going relatively well for the good guys so far

yum fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 24, 2022

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

yum posted:

I find the official translations to be really janky and inconsistent. Looking into it, it seems like it's got something to do with the old translator being outed as a pedo and the new one trying to distance themselves from their work. Apparently the pedo translator's stuff isn't too good either because reading some of the fan interpretations from https://nanami-says.tumblr.com/ fit better/make more sense.

https://nanami-says.tumblr.com/post/649929685628862464/part-vi-13-chapters-65-68

this chapter was the one I had in mind, I think a lot of teenage Gojo's characterization/bromance with Getou is lost in the official

Current chapter
All this Hakari hype, I'm afraid Gege is setting up Hakari to job to the lightning past sorcerer dude they're hunting. Things have been going relatively well for the good guys so far

I've found stuff slightly janky or inconsistent throughout the series for sure but without speaking or being able to read Japanese raws I personally have no idea where that's original text and where it's mistranslation.

I think that blog you linked is pretty interesting to read but also a lot of it is stylistic disagreements and without the other translator explaining their reasoning I think it's limited somewhat in that respect. Stuff like natural sounding English vs word for word translations are always going to clash or even word bubbles sizes or internal style guides. Im not saying official translators are always superior to fan or non-official (but still pro) ones.

It is great to see errors explained and fixed though and that's really good to know and a shame it's in the official stuff e.g. what Geto says about the publics peace of mind being inverted and flipping meaning in the official text.

I only read official stuff to support the creators and translators and also I think there's a lot of really bad unofficial stuff. I'd rather everyone read the same author approved source of their work at the same time each week especially when it's free. I know the ADTRW policy and am fine with it just explaining why I personally had not read the latest chapter today. Rather than it being assumed I thought the translators are always superior to non-official ones. That's a really cool blog so thanks for sharing!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also I feel like if you gave to S tier translators the same text you'd get different scripts back every time that only diverge more the longer the text is. It's the same issue as when I'm reading one of the Russian classics and have to try find the consensus best translation but it's just a mug's game.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, I thought he was using Hakari's blood as ink. What you describe makes more sense (though it's kind of hard to visually distinguish in black and white).

It's kind of hard to tell I think and I only picked it up on a second reading. This panel is the key as you can see Hakari blocked the slash itself but the fluid is being throw towards his face (imo) rather than trailing from the swing.

I'm still not 100% certain though as the nib is only showing ink after attacks. However Gege also forgets the slash on Hakari's cheek a few times too so possibly he's only showing the ink in close ups of the pen rather than it not being there. Then again in the very first panel showing off the pen the nib is clean. Regardless I think it's the ink landing on Hakari. That said I'd have thought he'd try rub it off at least, but he also seems to have 0 respect for Charles from the off.

I like Hakari a lot and it's cool that he decided to immediately use his Domain Expansion to crush this guy. After they first showed up it was clear DE was super OP and ever since it's been avoided with simple domain's introduction or other restrictions. Like in Shibuya or the what just happened with Yuta. Despite Hakari being a modern sorcerer and an guaranteed hit already triggering I'm really hoping he has a domain like Higurama. His whole set-up as well as the name of it is making me hopeful.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-182/chapter/24293?action=read

The Viz translation.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rereading the chapter again I’m still not sure if Charles’ pen is staining Hakari with ink or using his blood as ink. Each of the wounds could be read either way I think. This line also makes it sound more like he’s filling his pen up with blood to me. I feel like he’d mention landing the ink on Hakari vs his pen willing with ink improving his prescience in this panel

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well a vommon thing with g pens is that theyre sharp as hell and mangaka tend to sometime stab/slice themselves. They also leak ink sooooo

Could be either way.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think I read that when Charles talks about the condition being filled the character can also be read as blood. So yeah, I think he needs to land a hit and draw blood to get his ability working.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Neat!

Anyway I love Hakari so far. It rules that he could pretty easily beat Charles' rear end without using his technique but used domain expansion anyway to crush him. I wonder if he's able to use his domain multiple times a day. I think the ending where Charles has the rules instantly revealed to his brain due to the guaranteed hit mean Hakari's domain will be closer to Judgeman than other domains we've seen. Judgeman was a much more interesting set up than domains where the guaranteed hit is an OHKO so I'm hoping we see more of them going forward starting with this fight.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have two questions actually that I wonder what other posters think about what happened. They're just questions about fights instead of cool lore theories though I'm afraid.

1. When Geto failed to take control of Hidden Inventory what happened there? I'm assuming it's that Hidden Inventory was holding the Inverted Spear of Heaven in its mouth at the time which repelled Geto.

2. When Itadori is in his final face off with Mahito and Mahito is using Body of Distorted Killing what exactly is Mahito's plan to avoid the potential black flash? He says he's going to revert his "sweet spot" to his regular form to avoid the attack then (I think) reinforce it with cursed energy I assume to rebuild Body of Distorted Killing. However he just tanks the hit from Itadori in the arm anyway but that seems to have been his plan? In which case why did he drop the shielding. It's the only bit of the fight I don't rally follow and can't fully get what was supposed to be happening.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/2266/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-183

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDa-_Vq51I

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I feel like this would be easier to understand if I had ever played Pachinko. But whatever, it's basically a slot machine. I can see why the high ups of the Jujutsu college weren't a fan of his ability.

I wonder how it works outside of the domain though. Hakari can use the subway doors outside of it at least.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
first page top right panel looks like it's drawn Togashi style

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Jesus christ what did I just read

"Don't transmit utter crap like that into my mind" is the only reasonable reaction

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lol

both the main character and main heroine "has no feature worth mentioning."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lmao this is so good.

I was expecting some kind of hard boiled Kaiji gambling with yakuza type deal like high stakes hanafuda or something, but this

this is loving hilarious

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Electric Phantasm posted:

lol

both the main character and main heroine "has no feature worth mentioning."

That's the part I liked about the chapter, because I definitely didn't understand anything else.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpTPm1R4_AM

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Char posted:

Jesus christ what did I just read

"Don't transmit utter crap like that into my mind" is the only reasonable reaction

So good. Pachinko is bollocks, definitely one of the most obfuscated forms of gambling in existence and it is utterly brilliant to make a domain based on it and to transmit the rules, which are basically a lovely pachinko game, into your opponents brain. Its like information warfare for fighting.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Imma save my full thoughts for the viz TL but I do want to say it was funny as hell that Charles was rooting against the cliche romance scene purely because he will get owned if it happens. Then he breathes a sigh of relief, then falls for it anyways. Dude's a manga connoisseur he should have been on guard for that kind of timing.

Also, Hakari would make for a really interesting fighting game character with his domain as some kind of install state. I love me some RNG so I could really dig this kind of style.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I definitely need to read the viz translation to figure this one out

Jujutsu Kaisen rules

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
This seems like the ultimate game-breaking exploitation of JJK's rules:

If your spirit technique makes no goddamn sense,
Then the binding vow where you explain your technique to your opponent makes no goddamned sense either,
So it seems like the sort of infinite loop that would explain why he's on Gojo's level.

I kind of don't even want to know if there is a translation that makes the pachinko poo poo make some sort of sense. Or it might take multiple pages worth of translator's notes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Then the binding vow where you explain your technique to your opponent makes no goddamned sense either,
So it seems like the sort of infinite loop that would explain why he's on Gojo's level.

I kind of don't even want to know if there is a translation that makes the pachinko poo poo make some sort of sense. Or it might take multiple pages worth of translator's notes.

The weakness is that if your opponent starts going "Zawa, Zawa", it'll take a whole cour to get anything done.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

you have to play pachinko.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
All things considered I actually think the current TL is clear enough on what's happening especially when I rationalize it as how pinball machines can have all kinds of little animations and cinematics but at the end of the day all that matters is getting the ball down the right targets. It's also probably intentional to explain all the rules upfront as a tactic to throw some enemies off when the relevant components are very simple Hakari gets a roll after either 1 or 2 of his presentation attacks which can vary between three variants and determine the level of event that will occur. The chance for a jackpot is proportional to the hype of the event with some modifiers that can also appear but so far have not. If he botches a roll he just resets to neutral and can roll again. Everything else is just window dressing.

My only real questions are on the specificity of this domain since most other domains are more conceptual and elemental. I didn't consider it with Higuruma but he and Hakari have incredibly specific domains with one being a courtroom that adheres to japanese law and another being a specific pachinko game based on an in-universe manga series. I get that things like projection sorcery are tied to film and we had a merger of curse technique and technology that caused the conservative faction to out Hakari. But this is way too on-the-nose a domain. I've seen it floated on other forums that Hakari can change the pachinko game's theme as a possible solution but he was using the subway doors against Yuji which makes me think he's just locked into this one. But If he can pick different visuals for both his attacks and his domain that would work with him being unique in that his cursed energy is rough and why Gojo said he and Yuta would stand at the top of the sorcery world in the future. Dude would basically be incredibly malleable if changing from doors to I don't know, clams or whatever visuals pachinko games use gives him different types of attacks and setups.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

MonsterEnvy posted:

you have to play pachinko.

I don't gotta do nothing.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Me getting ready to read the chapter tomorrow based on the general reactions I’ve seen to the leaks

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I genuinely do not understand what happened in that chapter, does anyone mind explaining how that all worked?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Me getting ready to read the chapter tomorrow based on the general reactions I’ve seen to the leaks

“But that does not make you an adult, Milhouse. Finding more fallen-out hairs on your pillow, watching your favorite Squishee disappear from the Kwik-E-Mart…the accumulation of those little despairs is what makes a person an adult.”

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Since Hakari's cursed technique must also be related to his domain... this guy manifested a pachinko based technique at the age of 6? He was born with an innate pachinko technique.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Asuron posted:

I genuinely do not understand what happened in that chapter, does anyone mind explaining how that all worked?
Barring a couple terms having alternate translations this is what happened.
Hakari's domain gives whoever is brought in a bunch of info on how the pachinko game works. In short, when Hakari uses one or more curse technique attacks given the label of "performance" he can then trigger a slot machine roll where all he's waiting on is the middle number. This transitions into what amounts to a cutscene that plays out as the slot is determined and both fighters change location temporarily. Also, Hakari can choose the type of performance but not the level of the attack so it will vary from green -> Red -> Gold on the physical attacks or a different number of fake rolls with the odds of a good outcome increasing from left to right. Charles is rightfully annoyed.

Hakari launches two performance attacks which allows him to do the slot machine roll. The first "event" is the NPC running to the ticket gate but that event has low odds of success and it fails. Charles attempted to attack the NPC but learns nothing can interfere with their script. Once it fails both get sent to the starting area and Charles realizes that he either has to defeat Hakari or else Hakari will eventually get a jackpot and take him out. Charles is also pissy because the theme of this game is based on a real manga and it's been reduced to a gambling gimmick.

They resume fighting, Hakari summons a performance and this one is Gold which has a high value. Once he triggers a slot machine roll it also puts them on the event stage with the highest odds of success. Charles fights desperately while keeping his eye on the NPCs because he needs to know the outcome and his power cannot predict it. He lands a decisive blow while at the same time it appears that the NPC event failed but just as he starts gloating both parties see that the event actually was a success and Charles gets a boot to his face for his troubles.

The next chapter will show us what happens when Hakari gets a jackpot as he's now summoning something that will further alter the probability chance.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Value or Hype is just a fancy way of saying probability. The second scene he activated had about an 80% of being a Jackpot. The Colors of his "Preview" attacks, the Sliders and Balls basically give Hakari a hint about his probability of hitting Jackpot. If one of the preview attacks is Rainbow colored it means the next scene is going to be a Jackpot. And if he fails to get a jackpot after three scenes the fourth one is a guaranteed jackpot as well it seems.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Pachinko is a game where they dress up gambling with pretty colors and animations to distract you from how you're losing all your money. Hakari's domain is a domain that's covered with pachinko references to distract you from how he's just stalling for a jackpot while punching you in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
this chapter felt incredibly intimidating at first but once I realized it’s just a slot machine with fancy dressing the rest of the read went pretty smooth. Don’t really have to understand the mechanics behind pachinko Hakari’s just pulling a lever and seeing what he won.