Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

D-Pad posted:

Interesting two new AoS novels from French and Haley after we just had the discussion about the dearth of new AoS books.

We've got a mole in ITT, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't see how the Kharadron look stupid. I have always liked their look myself.
They've got knees. Everyone knows Dwarves don't gots knees!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I watched a few streamers play the new Daemonhunters game and it looks real fun

It was discussed in the XCOM thread:

Kanos posted:

I'm only about half a dozen missions into it, but it seems pretty good so far. Huge differences from normal XCOM:
  • All attacks hit 100% of the time, for both you and enemies. Cover provides damage reduction from ranged attacks(50% for half cover, 100% for heavy cover). This, of course, is an enormous paradigm shift from how XCOM is played and completely changes how you approach things in numerous ways.
  • Your units have 3 AP instead of 2, and you're allowed to spend them completely freely - you can triple move, double move then shoot, triple shoot, shoot-move-shoot, etc; the amount of possible approaches on a given turn is pretty high.
  • There's a huge emphasis on melee; every one of your units has a melee attack, there's multiple melee weapons with different effects and stats, and melee completely ignores cover.
  • Enemy pod sizes are huge. Like "a pod of dudes will contain 6 to 10 guys that will all activate at once", and sometimes you'll be fighting more than one pod at once. There's a big emphasis on aggressiveness; you have a bunch of AoE abilities and are encouraged to go all out to clear enemies as fast and efficiently as possible with them, because while your dudes are more durable than XCOM guys(lovely basic enemy zombies will do 4 damage on a melee, your basic level marines have 13-15 HP), you REALLY want to minimize the amount of enemies that get to take an active turn against you or you'll get overwhelmed horribly. You really can't afford to take a passive approach from what I've noticed.
  • Missions are timed by the use of a "warp surge" mechanic - a meter fills up as you take turns(and when other stuff happens), and when it hits 100% it resets to 0 and something happens based on the conditions on the pre-mission screen, ranging from enemy reinforcements, enemies getting buffed, your guys getting buffed, AoE damage zones spawning around the field, and so on. It's not as harsh as "finish this mission in x turns or fail", but it definitely provides some forward pressure.

There's a lot of more specific changes and alterations from normal XCOM gameplay but these are the big ones that have stuck out to me so far.

e: Oh yeah, one major thing I forgot about : your units are NOT expendable. Your units absolutely can die permanently and getting new units is expensive and can only be done sometimes after successfully completing a mission. Units also have extensive and powerful skill trees so throwing rookies into the grinder is not how it's going to go here. I'm reasonably certain that it's quite easy to enter a failure state if you gently caress up really bad.

Some of its design echoes Mechanicus - warp surge instead of necron awakening, valuable units with skill trees. Some of it seems different, Mechanics generally had few enemies at once and melee was not very preeminent.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
You had me at-

quote:

All attacks hit 100% of the time,

As long as my entire squad isn't getting bodied cause several 90%+ shots missed and enemies wreck my poo poo despite cautious movement and placement.
I'd rather get hosed cause I'm stupid and not from rng.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

MariusLecter posted:

You had me at-

As long as my entire squad isn't getting bodied cause several 90%+ shots missed and enemies wreck my poo poo despite cautious movement and placement.

The only real RNG in battle are warp surges and enemy pod composition, it's quite a different approach to combat compared to X-Com.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Guess I'll have to wait for the Slaanesh dlc if I want to see snake tits.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

MariusLecter posted:

You had me at-

I haven't played it, so beware that it might be like Mechanicus where attacks always hit but the damage done is partially randomized. So you can still have RNG situations where your gun does 2-4 damage, the target is at 3 HP, and the RNG decides if it gets another turn to wreck your poo poo or not.

However, that's definitely much less frustrating than full misses, because even if you don't do as much damage as you were hoping for, you always make some progress so it doesn't feel like you wasted a turn. Plus Mechanicus had some special abilities that let you maximize damage, and you could sandbag them for those relatively few do-or-die turns where dealing maximum damage made a big difference.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Not to worry though, because instead you get to be irritated by your oh-so-elite Grey Knights taking weeks to recover from injuries inflicted by deranged cultists with stubbers. :v:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

MMAgCh posted:

Not to worry though, because instead you get to be irritated by your oh-so-elite Grey Knights taking weeks to recover from injuries inflicted by deranged cultists with stubbers. :v:

Oh yes, this, after the early missions, the fuckers pretty much stay full-time in the apothecary.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Angry Lobster posted:

The only real RNG in battle are warp surges and enemy pod composition, it's quite a different approach to combat compared to X-Com.

There is also some RNG around critical hits, but at least one class comes with an ability that automatically crits. The amount of damage you’ll deal is always spelled out beforehand, and you can expand a sidebar to see how all the various contributing factors break down. It’s very nice.
Also, Grey Knights don’t open doors. They Kool-Aid through them, as one does. There are an absolute ton of environmental kills you can perform.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Preechr posted:

There is also some RNG around critical hits, but at least one class comes with an ability that automatically crits. The amount of damage you’ll deal is always spelled out beforehand, and you can expand a sidebar to see how all the various contributing factors break down. It’s very nice.
Also, Grey Knights don’t open doors. They Kool-Aid through them, as one does. There are an absolute ton of environmental kills you can perform.

Yeah, I totally forgot about crits being RNG based, at least without stunning. I really like the more deterministic approach to the combat system.

Vidya games aside, I'm looking forward to read the new Huron Blackheart book, I don't really care about the character but I have faith that Mike Brooks can write something entertaining with him.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Chapter Master Valrak - CHOASGATE PURGING! I am the Hammer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UZB2SxAMCE

19 minutes to go as I hit post for this.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

now i'm tempted - i just have so little time for games these days

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Syncopated posted:

Didn't those guys show up after Horus' death anyway, or am I remembering it wrong.

gently caress me, genuinely did not know this.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

MMAgCh posted:

Tbf they’re Nurgle cultists, you might get über tetanus from those bullets or something.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It's one reason among several why their chapters basically have a poo poo ton of marines.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Their approach is what makes Horus drop the shields and risk a direct confrontation with the Emperor (at least, that's how the story is recorded.)

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

wiegieman posted:

(at least, that's how the story is recorded.)

I think they've made it clear they're completely prepared to retcon the original ending and go with something new with the whole Ollianus Piers/Pile story in Saturnine and the heavy hints dropped in it about the recorded story being different from the real.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/07/revealed-dive-into-the-horus-heresy-with-new-books-from-black-library

More 30k books announced. Two anthologies, one intended to be a starter for the setting, and Gav writing about Dorn.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The final showdown with Horus will have a villainous monologue about how all of this was planned, but it will be by the Emperor. :ssh:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I never want to read a book about a primarch again

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I want to read about Ferrus Manus only

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

euphronius posted:

I never want to read a book about a primarch again

How 'bout a book about a primarch being executed by denizens of a hive-world for crimes against humanity? Heck, I've only ever borrowed one wh40k book from a library when I was 14 and I'd BUY that book.

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...

Improbable Lobster posted:

I want to read about Ferrus Manus only

Didn't Kyme lay his mitts on the Iron Hands like he did the Salamanders?
Hard pass if so

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Brendan Rodgers posted:

The final showdown with Horus will have a villainous monologue about how all of this was planned, but it will be by the Emperor. :ssh:
Horus will kill him but be gravely injured in the process, and he'll end up being shoved into the Golden Throne as a battery. This is why the traitor legions talk about the "false Emperor" all the time. They're super mad about it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

FoulWeatherFriend posted:

Didn't Kyme lay his mitts on the Iron Hands like he did the Salamanders?
Hard pass if so

I was doing some wiki-ing and it seems like they got tied up with em unfortunately. David Guymer's being doing a good job with the "current day" chapter at least. I'd settle with a short story that explains how they got Ferrus's skull back tbh

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Horus will kill him but be gravely injured in the process, and he'll end up being shoved into the Golden Throne as a battery. This is why the traitor legions talk about the "false Emperor" all the time. They're super mad about it.

This was always a fun theory and I wish it were true, but sadly Rowboat acknowledges that the Big E is the same bad dad he remembered, except now even worse.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Preechr posted:

This was always a fun theory and I wish it were true, but sadly Rowboat acknowledges that the Big E is the same bad dad he remembered, except now even worse.

And in the Black Legion books they talk about how the Emperor's Children stole Horus' body.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

OPAONI posted:

And in the Black Legion books they talk about how the Emperor's Children stole Horus' body.

And then cloned him, and then Abbadon killed him, etc. It's a whole thing with them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

wiegieman posted:

And then cloned him, and then Abbadon killed him, etc. It's a whole thing with them.

It's happened like 7 or 8 times now, you'd think they'd knock it off

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Which are the good iron hands books

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The one that immediately comes to mind is Chris Wraight's Wrath of Iron.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Preechr posted:

He's lying because he knows it'd cause even more problems than him just rocking up in the first place :colbert:

wiegieman posted:

You don't need a whole body to do that. They cloned him from some stray topknot he left on his pillow one time, and the crack about "stealing the body" was just so the implied "and did things with it" would fester in the Black Legion's minds for the next 10k years :v:

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I forget what book it is but it’s made a big deal of when a traitor first says “death to the false emperor” and it’s in some existing HH fiction so it wouldn’t be a reference to Horus being on the throne.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

He's lying because he knows it'd cause even more problems than him just rocking up in the first place :colbert:

In his own internal monologue?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
Nah, I'm just talking poo poo about the whole thing. I could waffle more about Draco and the Emperor to qanon this together still but it's stopped being fun.

0konner posted:

I forget what book it is but it’s made a big deal of when a traitor first says “death to the false emperor” and it’s in some existing HH fiction so it wouldn’t be a reference to Horus being on the throne.
Yes but that doesn't matter because GW asspull all the time and this would be "shocking" and very silly.

It also won't happen, because it's too obvious and unintersting a twist.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 7, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Khizan posted:

The one that immediately comes to mind is Chris Wraight's Wrath of Iron.

Also The Eye of Medusa and The Voice of Mars.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'd settle with a short story that explains how they got Ferrus's skull back tbh

The Iron Hands launch a daring raid on Fulgrim's china cabinet.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess I have to read the last heresy one where they finally do the final duel but that’s it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

0konner posted:

It's in The First Heretic, before the Dropsite Massacre.

Lorgar is giving a speech to the gathered Alpha Legion, Night Lords and Iron Warriors, listing the ways in which the Imperium has failed and how their imperium will have blackjack and hookers, and after he is done there is a mome t of silence, and the Night Lords first Captain coins the phrase to get everyone going.