Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forcedstealthlevel
Jun 26, 2021

kntfkr posted:

if you see a car or a person, don't forget: call the police

The granos rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I can't imagine the nextdoor-esque stuff emergency dispatchers have to deal with. I used to be a computer toucher for a municipality and I recall one 911 operator telling me she just got off the phone with a lady who called because someone cut one of her bushes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bush law?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The knockout game, the headlight thing, Americans just want to be scared of other Americans

The headlight thing is funny to me because "You're trying to do something nice then someone loving stabs you outta nowhere. Lesson: Never be nice" is the most American loving poo poo.

Also, tangentially related, wasn't there an issue with like, people kidnapping kids they thought were being trafficked because they said they weren't being trafficked, but their parent/boyfriend/husband/whatever was within earshot, so clearly they're only saying that to avoid trouble?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Lol I got a message from one of the nextdoor mods for being snarky to people telling everyone to call the police on kids for selling jerky.
Or maybe it was the people telling everyone to call the police on kids carrying hammers.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
The post:

The replies:

GUYS quit loving around this is NEXTDOOR

Thankfully most people got the stupid joke, but jfc why was there even a single comment from these humorless nutjobs.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
it's the snitch site. the whole point is snitching. nextdoor should be snitch.com

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I actually had someone steal my bowling ball from the garage. (It's okay, I had a spare.) But everyone on Nextdoor was worried where on the lane he'd strike next.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Brawnfire posted:

I actually had someone steal my bowling ball from the garage. (It's okay, I had a spare.) But everyone on Nextdoor was worried where on the lane he'd strike next.

:haw:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

And the good news is that the ball was recovered! It was found in a gutter.

:dadjoke:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Guess the thief got nervous and split!

Regardless, thanks for the ball return

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The city just gave everyone high quality trashbins for yard waste

Nextdoor: so am i gonna be reimbursed for the trashcans i bought

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Tunicate posted:

The city just gave everyone high quality trashbins for yard waste

Nextdoor: so am i gonna be reimbursed for the trashcans i bought

"people are gonna steal them!" is what I saw for a month after they were announced.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My one neighbor always ended up with a suspiciously higher number of trash bins after a bad windstorm

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

looks like ur wife u fuckin bitch

is what someone should reply

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

My Nextdoor is pretty interesting.

We don't live in the safest of neighborhoods, so it's less weird neighbor bickering and more of the most random stuff. Posts like these aren't uncommon, and you'll usually read about the shooting in the news:

There are also tons of old lonely people who post like they are on Facebook. I feel kinda bad for them sometimes:

People in our area have other problems, too:

(same guy, week later)

There's a lot of other crime going on in the neighborhood, too:

If you have some skills and need work, Nextdoor is there for you:

Don Karnage
Oct 9, 2016
In my suburban/rural fringe neighborhood, a few months ago someone posted screenshots from a Ring camera showing "youths" trespassing/cutting through his property. After the usual "disrespectful kids these days/when I was that age" posts, someone asked "Does anyone else think crimes like this have increased since the apartments were built nearby?" (A lot of people are still upset that "Obama" made a developer build an attractive mixed-income apartment complex nearby a few years ago) Instead of the usual complaints the only response was a single "No." I've never seen a Nextdoor thread end so quickly.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Don Karnage posted:

In my suburban/rural fringe neighborhood, a few months ago someone posted screenshots from a Ring camera showing "youths" trespassing/cutting through his property. After the usual "disrespectful kids these days/when I was that age" posts, someone asked "Does anyone else think crimes like this have increased since the apartments were built nearby?" (A lot of people are still upset that "Obama" made a developer build an attractive mixed-income apartment complex nearby a few years ago) Instead of the usual complaints the only response was a single "No." I've never seen a Nextdoor thread end so quickly.

That's actually kinda heartwarming compared to most of the horror stories in this thread.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

https://ring.com/share/3a0bf02a-9d77-40b3-996a-e1be453f346a

To be fair, the lady isn’t freaking out about a merely suspicious person. But they city actually sent out helicopters lmao

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Don Karnage posted:

My NextDoor is terrified of the prospect of apartment buildings, duplexes, ADUs…basically anything that’s actually capable of supporting more than one tax return per parcel.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
So someone on ND that I really don’t like and who over-reports stuff in general reported a post that was about creating a closed “conservative patriots only” group for “free speech with nobody reporting your posts.” My notifications showed it was reported but I couldn’t find anywhere that it was handled either way; so I reported it myself with the reasoning that after Jan 6, a secret unmoderated group using those buzz words would probably become a place to plan terrorist attacks and other crimes. The post, and I am hoping te group, now shows as removed.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

therobit posted:

So someone on ND that I really don’t like and who over-reports stuff in general reported a post that was about creating a closed “conservative patriots only” group for “free speech with nobody reporting your posts.” My notifications showed it was reported but I couldn’t find anywhere that it was handled either way; so I reported it myself with the reasoning that after Jan 6, a secret unmoderated group using those buzz words would probably become a place to plan terrorist attacks and other crimes. The post, and I am hoping te group, now shows as removed.

Too bad, you could have assumed a fake identity for it, joined the group and talked about how gay people SHOULDN"T be burned at the stake, black people have rights, etc and then watched how fast you got banned because "free speech".

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

mods please change thread title to "there are other ways to live"

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's a completely valid question.

When I think of a teenager my mind doesn't automatically go to "ruffian!" Not at all.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What's sad is that the kid's mother is posting in the thread, hoping to verify that it's really her son who's the subject. She's asked twice but OP isn't responding.

Also, I'm about to request donations of formal & semi-formal wear for less fortunate kids that a friend of mine teaches, so they can have them for their middle school graduation and banquet. I'm open to suggestions of how to work "typical teenagers" into it. I was thinking something like "these aren't your typical teenagers, these are good kids who are dealing with some hard problems" or something like that.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 7, 2022

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
You can just say, "these are kids whose families don't have a lot, and it would mean the world to them to be able to get fancy with their friends".

I think it's pretty normal.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

What's sad is that the kid's mother is posting in the thread, hoping to verify that it's really her son who's the subject. She's asked twice but OP isn't responding.

Also, I'm about to request donations of formal & semi-formal wear for less fortunate kids that a friend of mine teaches, so they can have them for their middle school graduation and banquet. I'm open to suggestions of how to work "typical teenagers" into it. I was thinking something like "these aren't your typical teenagers, these are good kids who are dealing with some hard problems" or something like that.

why don’t they get jobs to earn some money to rent a tuxido.giving them handouts wont teach them anything

god bless
dave

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

when I took my high school girlfriend to the dance I bagged groceries after school to earn money for my suit and her coursaj. I walked into the grocery store and shook the managers hand and said I wanted to work and he hired me that day. these kids could go push carts at the Walmart, there all over the parking lot and they need to hire somebody to bring them in.

god bless
Dave

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

To be honest teenagers today generally are way sensitive, but because of that they are also far better people than anyone I knew growing up. IME they are far more community minded and far more considerate of others , and generally speaking are also polite to strangers.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

What I am saying is these kids these days are actually pretty good.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

my sun was supposed to go to his prom but didnt want 2 go becuz they only played a surtain kind of music if you no wat i mean so we ended up havin a good tradishnal prom on my daddy's land w/a bonfire and all, much better than sum hippity hop dance no offense if u liek that poo poo but its not music lmao ;) :) <3

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
They really are better. Obviously they are still little shits with mushy brains, and you'll always have cruel people lashing out because they are hurting themselves or are just dicks, but imo they seem way nicer and understanding than in my day.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Well you know they can float their problems out there and get Reddit consensus, helps 'em navigate life. We were rudderless in comparison.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Butcher posted:

They really are better. Obviously they are still little shits with mushy brains, and you'll always have cruel people lashing out because they are hurting themselves or are just dicks, but imo they seem way nicer and understanding than in my day.

The internet and social media has allowed kids to learn how lovely adults are, especially their elected leaders, some teachers, clergy, parents’ friends, etc at a much earlier age, so they’re shouldering the weight of the world at like 10-12 years old now as opposed to millennials and older who didn’t really learn it till high school and college. So young millennials and zoomers actually take care of each other and lift each other up and care and fight bigotry, along with a heavy dose of nihilism.

At least that’s what I see from the college kids who work for me and watching my nieces and nephews grow up. Teenagers will always be shitheads in some regards but kids these days are just better to each other than our generation was.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

my sun was supposed to go to his prom but didnt want 2 go becuz they only played a surtain kind of music if you no wat i mean so we ended up havin a good tradishnal prom on my daddy's land w/a bonfire and all, much better than sum hippity hop dance no offense if u liek that poo poo but its not music lmao ;) :) <3

Is English your second language?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

No. 6 posted:

Is English your second language?

We talk American hear! Is you some kind of gay communazi?

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
the website is called nextdoor, but frequently features post from nextnextdoor and beyond. misleading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I don't think you'd want to play into the narrative that 'typical teenager' is bad. Teenagers are fine. Kids are fine, they're people. I've worked a lot of retail over the years and I would a thousand times rather deal with teens than with middle-aged white people for sure.