Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I'll nth the recommendation on Gundam Planet. Their shipping is always fast and their loyalty points nets me free paint here and there.

On the topic of recommendations, thanks to everyone singing the praises of glass files. I got a set in the middle of my current build and was surprised by how good they really are. They really do make nubs just vanish with little effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Gundam Planet and Newtype are usually my choices for gunpla, with usagundamstore sometimes. Galactic Toys has rare kits sometimes but they also really jump up prices for rare hgs which sucks.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
I've seen Galactic Toys list through Amazon with free prime shipping sometimes (without charging more) and that can be pretty competitive even if they don't have the actual best price.

Although I spot checked this on the RG Hi Nu and they seem to be charging a bunch more on Amazon to cover the shipping so maybe they've stopped this practice.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

I’ve been experimenting with using melamine/Mr Clean sponges to buff unpainted Gunpla, and I’m really happy with the results! On the Zaku I tested it on the arm and shield, then went and built a GM to test it on a whole model. I left the right calf unbuffed for comparison.

You get a nice finish pretty much straight away and don’t need to spend ages sanding away. Just make sure to use a damp sponge or you’ll have a bad time with all the plastic dust.

I don’t like top coat, got too many bad experiences with it from my Warhammer days plus its hard to use during the colder parts of the year here in the nordics.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

So they're doing a p-bandai reprinting of the hg neo zeong. I have the psycho shard and I want this big dumb kit so bad

Any good sites to order p-bandai stuff in Canada?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Isn't the Neo Zeong a normal release? It's listed on the big list of HGs as 181 in the normal line.

It says Neo Zeong (red) and I'm not sure if that's a variant or a product (red) thing.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So, I already made the purchase, but just to give a heads up to myself, how difficult are the newtype plated models to build? I saw it mentioning I'll need to sand off the plating on the pegs and possibly the holes to fit. Just curious if there is more than that to be aware of.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

wdarkk posted:

Isn't the Neo Zeong a normal release? It's listed on the big list of HGs as 181 in the normal line.

It says Neo Zeong (red) and I'm not sure if that's a variant or a product (red) thing.

It was, but it's probably costs so much to produce that they had the re-issue be a p-bandai exclusive. It's the regular red one.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They're coming out with a new TV show called Mass Production Type Girl Riko, a completely ordinary girl with nothing special about her, until she discovers Gunpla

https://twitter.com/ichiroao/status/1523857852384768000?s=20&t=AH2bJOeOaGhTlLQKMAsHuA

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gripweed posted:

They're coming out with a new TV show called Mass Production Type Girl Riko, a completely ordinary girl with nothing special about her, until she discovers Gunpla

https://twitter.com/ichiroao/status/1523857852384768000?s=20&t=AH2bJOeOaGhTlLQKMAsHuA

The perfect storm of a toy advertisement and a vehicle for an up and comer, airing in the "nobody's watching anyway, why not" slot. It's such an incredibly cursed premise that I'm actually interested to see what they do with it (other than extended softly lit close-ups of course).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

The perfect storm of a toy advertisement and a vehicle for an up and comer, airing in the "nobody's watching anyway, why not" slot. It's such an incredibly cursed premise that I'm actually interested to see what they do with it (other than extended softly lit close-ups of course).

I mean, Gundam Build Real was better than I expected. There's a chance this would wind up watchable.

I'm definitely not going to be the one to take this bullet, just, you know. Saying that Build Real wasn't bad.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
RG Hi-Nu in stock at Newtype

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
slapped that add to cart button very fast. also the zeong because why not.

one of the things I appreciate about this hobby is if I let things go out of stock a few times and I still want the thing a year later... there's no regrets about buying it. I've had plenty of chances to not want it anymore.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

YanniRotten posted:

slapped that add to cart button very fast. also the zeong because why not.

one of the things I appreciate about this hobby is if I let things go out of stock a few times and I still want the thing a year later... there's no regrets about buying it. I've had plenty of chances to not want it anymore.

Same on all counts.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

The existence of the HG Neo-Zeong and Dendrobium proves to me that, truly, Gunpla is freedom and all things are possible. What then is the most high-profile MS that's missing an HG release? "High-profile" being obviously a very subjective term, but the two that spring to mind for me are the mass-produced Guntank from 08th MS Team, and the Xamel. Both got screentime in significant, memorable battles in their respective anime, and both have had toy releases, but never HG kits.

Are there similar or even more egregious gaps in the HG lineup?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's still a few ZZ suits that haven't received an HG yet. The Geymalk still needs a kit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Razor Jacksuit posted:

The existence of the HG Neo-Zeong and Dendrobium proves to me that, truly, Gunpla is freedom and all things are possible. What then is the most high-profile MS that's missing an HG release? "High-profile" being obviously a very subjective term, but the two that spring to mind for me are the mass-produced Guntank from 08th MS Team, and the Xamel. Both got screentime in significant, memorable battles in their respective anime, and both have had toy releases, but never HG kits.

I'd say the most egregious gaps, purely in terms of plot importance of MS, are the Aires and the Taurus from Wing. Both had tons of screen time, and both were the personal suit of a major character for multiple episodes.

Beyond that, there are lots of MS that were basically stars of a whole episode that don't have HG kits. The Geze and the Cattle from ZZ, a whole bunch of suits from G, The Correl, Gable, and Britova from X.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Are we including pre-HG 1/144 kits here? Just wanted to be sure.

For Iron Blooded Orphans, we're missing the Spinner Rodi (Only season 1 suit without a kit, used by a major character in a flashback battle) the Garm Rodi (enemy mook in season 2's first fight), the Hloekk Graze (appeared in several season 2 fights, both as a general purpose Graze variant and as a loader for the Dainsleifs), and the Gilda (mooks in the War with No Name and Vidar Rising). It's actually one of the more thoroughly covered series, although getting a few designs means going P-Bandai or doing your own painting.

00, the Realdo and Anf are absent, as is the Alvaaron, which was the final boss of season 1. Kind of odd it never got a kit considering it did get an action figure. I know Corner is a chump, but that's a whole next tier of insult. There's also things like Tieren variants missing and more, but I haven't mapped out the entire series.

And of course, there's a ton of older one episode kits. Really, as far as I can find 0080 is the only series to have managed a clean sweep in High Grade.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

got my RG eva 01 3.0+1.0 version in and built

glad I went with both the P-Bandai variants on this kit (night combat and this one). they both look awesome. the glow in the dark gimmick rules on the night combat and the green POPS on the new 3.0+1.0 one, it looks amazing

boz
Oct 16, 2005
First time trying panel lining and doing other things

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
New 30MM Kits announced!

We've got a Knight variant of the Spinatio, a chonky egg lad that's a completely-new design for the other faction with a grenade launcher (It looks vaguely like something Zeon-based, but I can't quite put my finger on what it reminds me of), a big Space Booster accessory pack, and a set of 30MM gunpla markers.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

New 30MM Kits announced!

We've got a Knight variant of the Spinatio, a chonky egg lad that's a completely-new design for the other faction with a grenade launcher (It looks vaguely like something Zeon-based, but I can't quite put my finger on what it reminds me of), a big Space Booster accessory pack, and a set of 30MM gunpla markers.

The Man Rodi? Similar colors, similar chunk. Seems closer to it than the Zock or the Acguy, anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

The Man Rodi? Similar colors, similar chunk. Seems closer to it than the Zock or the Acguy, anyway.

Yeah, I think you're right there. :hmmyes:

I realized what it partly was; The head gave me Juaggu vibes.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/EPSILON13/status/407490556185419776

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm gonna need, maybe, ten of these guys. To start

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyf9mG8hyZg

On the one hand, I want it. On the other, over $100 is expensive for a MG. On the OTHER, the screaming pile of unbuilt models I already have!

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Yeah, but did you see that GROIN articulation? You can make it look like the gundam has to pee!

*waterslides not included

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

Yeah, but did you see that GROIN articulation? You can make it look like the gundam has to pee!

*waterslides not included

On the other hand, it's Kira's Mobile Suit. In Destiny.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
I bought the MGEX Unicorn and while really expensive you are at least getting something impressive for your money.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Just about everything from G-Reco's second half.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

New 30MM Kits announced!

Egg Boi looks like something Superman would have wrecked in the 40s

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Just bought the whole second line of Gundam Artifact. Even though I still ahven't painted a single kit from the first line because I can't decide if I want to do them in canon colors, come up with my own schemes, or do them all as Live Concert Ver.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Electrophotonic posted:

I’ve been experimenting with using melamine/Mr Clean sponges to buff unpainted Gunpla, and I’m really happy with the results! On the Zaku I tested it on the arm and shield, then went and built a GM to test it on a whole model. I left the right calf unbuffed for comparison.

You get a nice finish pretty much straight away and don’t need to spend ages sanding away. Just make sure to use a damp sponge or you’ll have a bad time with all the plastic dust.

Do the sponges smooth over cement welds? Or do they just make the bare plastic shiny?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oh poo poo. Two Entry Grade Strike variants that come with bath bombs. After the bombs dissolve they reveal tiny model kits of the GOOhN and the ZnO

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1524200211933175809?s=20&t=nesjDlp4naPJDMwTdyFZuA

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Gripweed posted:

oh poo poo. Two Entry Grade Strike variants that come with bath bombs. After the bombs dissolve they reveal tiny model kits of the GOOhN and the ZnO

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1524200211933175809?s=20&t=nesjDlp4naPJDMwTdyFZuA

Just make an HG GOOhN already, Bandai!

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Gripweed posted:

That's pretty neat, but can we just get an EG Strike with, you know, a Striker pack?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

St0rmD posted:

That's pretty neat, but can we just get an EG Strike with, you know, a Striker pack?

I'd rather have the bath bomb GOOhN

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Gripweed posted:

Finally my wife has to respect gunpla because she likes bath bombs.

Just kidding she will still make fun of me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Which waterslide set should I get for the hi nu? It’ll be my first rg and my first waterslides since maybe the 80s.

I was looking at these from simp but figured I should double-check first https://www.ebay.com/itm/2844694162...emis&media=COPY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

RillAkBea posted:

I like the manga with a similar premise, I bet this will be fine too