Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
He did release that prologue and the superfans praised every line for being brilliant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm pretty sure this approaches if not outright crosses the line into charitable fraud if people were donating because of said promise.

e: Though since the money was going to a "charity" and not being taken from it probably not?

Who cares, he's literally running out of scams to run to the point of begging for money online. His money and fame pipeline is drying up and after Showtime and LMM passed on it the only thing he can hope for is some streaming service picks it up hoping for the next viral hit before canceling after one season.

There's no way in hell he could get an advance or money for writing in his current state because he's become a toxic issue just from how much he's talked about the book, failed to deliver, and got called out by his editor as "not wanting to write anymore".

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

I have a hypothesis that he read the whole Tor reread of his own books and saw that the re-readers had identified a bunch of complex symbolism and theories about them that he didn't intend to put in. This caused him to realize that he's actually a total fraud and that whatever he planned to eventually poo poo out would never satisfy his audience and also cause everyone to realize they gave him too much credit. At this point the only way for him to win is not to play the game (and also constantly grift).

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

He learned from GRRM. and as much as I hate both of them for their work ethic I'd probably do the same considering the state of everything in the world.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Barreft posted:

He learned from GRRM. and as much as I hate both of them for their work ethic I'd probably do the same considering the state of everything in the world.

He wishes he were GRRM.

Speaking of, GRRM needs to write a werewolf follow-up.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Tree Dude posted:

He did release that prologue and the superfans praised every line for being brilliant

The prologue was something he released before the charity 300k thing. The charity thing was for the first chapter!

Just clarifying since it can be ambiguously read.

Barreft posted:

Dude, Rothfuss has had this trouble since 2007.

Donkey posted:

I have a hypothesis that he read the whole Tor reread of his own books and saw that the re-readers had identified a bunch of complex symbolism and theories about them that he didn't intend to put in. This caused him to realize that he's actually a total fraud and that whatever he planned to eventually poo poo out would never satisfy his audience and also cause everyone to realize they gave him too much credit. At this point the only way for him to win is not to play the game (and also constantly grift).

Nah. He totally buys into his own hype that he constantly blows up his own rear end.

pentyne posted:

Who cares, he's literally running out of scams to run to the point of begging for money online. His money and fame pipeline is drying up and after Showtime and LMM passed on it the only thing he can hope for is some streaming service picks it up hoping for the next viral hit before canceling after one season.

There's no way in hell he could get an advance or money for writing in his current state because he's become a toxic issue just from how much he's talked about the book, failed to deliver, and got called out by his editor as "not wanting to write anymore".

I still want to know what the hell happened that killed the show and the movie. Is Rothfuss equally as lazy there as he is with the third book? ... Yeah, probably.

LMM posted:

“Oh I’m not on that ride anymore,” he said when asked about Kingkiller. “It’s an incredible book and an incredible series, and Patrick [Rothfuss] is just like a once-in-a-lifetime talent. We never cracked it. And I don’t know where it is, but my time on it kind of ran out, and I just was like, ‘I’m sorry I couldn’t get you any closer and help you figure out how this insane Russian nesting doll structure of a book becomes a movie or a TV show.’ But yeah, I’m not on that anymore.”

"Insane Russian nesting doll structure of a book" did LMM even read the book? It's a basic-rear end flashback.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Kchama posted:

The prologue was something he released before the charity 300k thing. The charity thing was for the first chapter!

Dude, Rothfuss has had this trouble since 2007.

Nah. He totally buys into his own hype that he constantly blows up his own rear end.

I still want to know what the hell happened that killed the show and the movie. Is Rothfuss equally as lazy there as he is with the third book? ... Yeah, probably.

"Insane Russian nesting doll structure of a book" did LMM even read the book? It's a basic-rear end flashback.

I don't think he's having trouble, I just think he doesn't care. Though ive followed the whole star citizen/Elon promises/nft stuff so none of this feels abnormal to me.

Hes getting money by doing nothing but paying lip service to devout losers. I applaud him. gently caress elong and nfts tho

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Kchama posted:

Ah, I remember him mentioning both around the same time but didn't recall exactly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kchama posted:

That line reads as an incredibly diplomatic way of saying the story is a mess that they can't untangle to make work for a show or movie (or 3rd book :v:).

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kchama posted:

Pretty sure that's not true. The charity thing was initially for the prologue and then he went double or nothing for a chapter /and/ the prologue, and raised double what he initially asked.

So they were both for the charity thing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
R/kingkiller has pretty much been reduced to die hard sycophants at this point but I'd be curious how any posts calling out the charity thing go.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Let it die.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

101 posted:

Pretty sure that's not true. The charity thing was initially for the prologue and then he went double or nothing for a chapter /and/ the prologue, and raised double what he initially asked.

So they were both for the charity thing.

Well, in either case, he absolutely didn't release the chapter.

pentyne posted:

R/kingkiller has pretty much been reduced to die hard sycophants at this point but I'd be curious how any posts calling out the charity thing go.

"How will devoted fanboys react to anything negative against their Lord and Savior?"

I think the answer to that question would be obvious.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I reread these about a year ago and I really hate that the same person who come up with some pretty neat ideas on magic and the university completely and totally poo poo the bed with everything else.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Um, what neat ideas on magical schools did he come up with?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I reread these about a year ago and I really hate that the same person who come up with some pretty neat ideas on magic and the university completely and totally poo poo the bed with everything else.

He stole those ideas.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Name a single neat idea he came up with.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Name a single neat idea he came up with.

He’d pretend to be a good writer then stop writing then dine out on it for the rest of his life.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Kchama posted:

He stole those ideas.

Oh poo poo he did? Well cool, disregard I guess. I just found this thread and that people have a huge hate boner for this guy. I can see why with the stalling, didn't know he stole content. What a dick

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't think he really stole content any more than 99% of SFF writers do, but the magical school subgenre is preeetty well-established at this point and nothing he did with it was new.

The only vaguely refreshing thing about the first book was telling the real stories behind the 'legends' about Kvothe, and then the second book shits all over that by clarifying that actually yes, he did literally do all of this impossibly 'cool" poo poo like lightning bolt some bandits to death, teach an immortal sex goddess how to gently caress while losing his virginity, and teach a matriarchal society the secrets of the human reproductive system.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

No I didn't fight a dragon, you fool. I fought a giant fire-breathing lizard. You utter dumbass.

I'm reading Earthsea and it's rally astounding how terrible Rothfuss' idea of wisdom and learning is. It's something that makes you special, and superior to dumb peasants. He (Kvothe, but also probably Rothfuss) would literally be a villain in one of le guins books.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Strom Cuzewon posted:

No I didn't fight a dragon, you fool. I fought a giant fire-breathing lizard. You utter dumbass.

I'm reading Earthsea and it's rally astounding how terrible Rothfuss' idea of wisdom and learning is. It's something that makes you special, and superior to dumb peasants. He (Kvothe, but also probably Rothfuss) would literally be a villain in one of le guins books.

Earthsea was great. Humbling Ged early on gave a really refreshing take on the master wizard character.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Speaking of LeGuin

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Earthsea was great. Humbling Ged early on gave a really refreshing take on the master wizard character.

Yeah, and the build up to the summoning fight actually makes sense, and you can sympathise with Ged while still thinking he's an arrogant dumbass who needs to chill out. And it's not a neatly resolved tragedy either - the Archwizard is dead, and while nobody directly blames Ged, they're still kinda wary of him for a while.

But then, le Guin can actually write good characters. And good dialogue. And good descriptions. And all the poo poo that Rothfuss wishes he could.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm reading Earthsea and it's rally astounding how terrible Rothfuss' idea of wisdom and learning is. It's something that makes you special, and superior to dumb peasants.

Well yeah, he's the worst example of an ivory tower liberal in the same vein as Aaron Sorkin.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

LeGuin is great. Though I think she might have had antiquated ideas on gender roles since she looked at women knights and asked "why?" Unless I misunderstood her criticism of the concept. But yeah, the first Earthsea book knocked me on my rear end. A very a-typical fantasy book with conflict that you often don't see. Your realization of the ending of that story is such a beautifully wonderful thing.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
It's unfortunate that I read Earthsea at an extremely cynical phase of my teens, because I did not like it at all. But I've love Le Guin's other books. Suppose it's time to do a re-read.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

eXXon posted:

I don't think he really stole content any more than 99% of SFF writers do, but the magical school subgenre is preeetty well-established at this point and nothing he did with it was new.

The only vaguely refreshing thing about the first book was telling the real stories behind the 'legends' about Kvothe, and then the second book shits all over that by clarifying that actually yes, he did literally do all of this impossibly 'cool" poo poo like lightning bolt some bandits to death, teach an immortal sex goddess how to gently caress while losing his virginity, and teach a matriarchal society the secrets of the human reproductive system.

The key to understanding the magic school is thst its all taken from Rothfuss' eternal college days.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jimbot posted:

LeGuin is great. Though I think she might have had antiquated ideas on gender roles since she looked at women knights and asked "why?" Unless I misunderstood her criticism of the concept. But yeah, the first Earthsea book knocked me on my rear end. A very a-typical fantasy book with conflict that you often don't see. Your realization of the ending of that story is such a beautifully wonderful thing.

Le Guin's take on gender, at least in Earthsea, I think is based around trying to put masculinity and femininity on equal footing, rather than trying to tear down what our ideas of masculinity/feminity and gender are. It's also more focused on the individual - you can't overturn societies gender norms, so instead you try and navigate it to find the position that fits you best. So from that perspective there's no purpose to female knights - they're just women cosplaying as men and abandoning their femininity. In the short stories about the founding of Roke, and in a Tenar's conversations with the old witch in Tehanu, it's a given that men and women approach magic in a different way, and the alter male-dominance of magic is from them rejecting the female approach. It's a bit gender-essentialist, but not what I'd call biotruthy, and at points I think she rejects the question of whether its innate to gender or learned - these are the types of magic and the ways of being that are associated with women, and it's up to them to make the best of it. You have some women who are able to navigate that (Tenar's daughter and Yarrow* are both comfortable as wise and respected home-makers, on equal footing with their husbands as heads of the household), some struggle (Tehanu is mostly Tenar trying to grapple with it) and some women are only able to find self-actualisation by telling the whole social structure to gently caress-off (the witch who taught Ogion's master, the dairy woman in the other short story).

I'm about to start the fifth book, and I'm really excited to see how it all concludes.

*Also Yarrow's appearance in Wizard is a wonderful portrayal of a witty and precocious young girl who yearns for an education that satisfies her intelligence. You can almost hear Jane Austen applauding.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Much of Tehanu and the later Earthsea books is Le Guin escaping the corset of male-dominated fantasy she put on herself when writing the first three because that's what you wrote back then.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

On a similar note, Tehanu is also pushing back against the idea that fantasy must always be about the high and mighty. She could have been a queen on a throne but instead she settled down in a village to raise a family, and the latter is just as meaningful and magical as the former.

Jimbot posted:

Though I think she might have had antiquated ideas on gender roles since she looked at women knights and asked "why?"

I think it's fair to say her views on gender are a little antiquated and too biologically determinist for our time, but I think you also have to acknowledge that she's examining and testing those views, most notably in The Left Hand of Darkness.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

PeterWeller posted:

On a similar note, Tehanu is also pushing back against the idea that fantasy must always be about the high and mighty. She could have been a queen on a throne but instead she settled down in a village to raise a family, and the latter is just as meaningful and magical as the former.

I think it's fair to say her views on gender are a little antiquated and too biologically determinist for our time, but I think you also have to acknowledge that she's examining and testing those views, most notably in The Left Hand of Darkness.

My understanding is also that sometimes she wanted to write more different things and was rather bluntly informed they wouldn't be punished.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The Left Hand of Darkness was published in '69 (nice). Le Guin was a dyed in the wool progressive. I believe she addressed many criticisms before her death too.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

pseudanonymous posted:

My understanding is also that sometimes she wanted to write more different things and was rather bluntly informed they wouldn't be punished.

In The Wind's Twelve Quarters' author notes she relates some disagreements with publishers about titles and a notable episode where, it think, Playboy will only credit her as U.K. Le Guin. So I'm sure there were stories she wanted to tell that she couldn't sell early on, but I suspect that was less and less the case as time went on.

Southpaugh posted:

The Left Hand of Darkness was published in '69 (nice). Le Guin was a dyed in the wool progressive. I believe she addressed many criticisms before her death too.

Oh yeah. She was very progressive her entire life. And I think even if you were to take issue with the sex and gender dynamics of Left Hand, you'd have trouble calling the novel regressive in light of what it's saying about war, politics, faith, and culture.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

In Always Coming Home from 1985 there are socially accepted trans and gender non-conforming people. I've read Earthsea up to Tehanu and between the texts and the afterwords I think Leguin is railing against the idea that a Strong Female Character must embrace traditional masculine values to be recognized and self-actualized, when traditional (and non-traditional) female values are valid but underappreciated in both Earthsea and our societies. Further context is that she's usually against the idea of violence (and specially institutionalized violence) solving anything

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Pacho posted:

In Always Coming Home from 1985 there are socially accepted trans and gender non-conforming people. I've read Earthsea up to Tehanu and between the texts and the afterwords I think Leguin is railing against the idea that a Strong Female Character must embrace traditional masculine values to be recognized and self-actualized, when traditional (and non-traditional) female values are valid but underappreciated in both Earthsea and our societies. Further context is that she's usually against the idea of violence (and specially institutionalized violence) solving anything

I haven't read Always Coming Home. I still want to finish the Hainish stories before moving on to anything else by her. I've also read up to Tehanu and agree, but I also think there's a class commentary there. As I said, Tehanu could have become a queen, but she instead chose to be a villager.

One of the many layers of The Left Hand of Darkness is a critique of institutional violence, specifically war. The world of Gethen is destabilized by a person inventing the concept of war in a world that has never had more than ritualized clan skirmishes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The only reason Ambrose is the villain is because he’s being an aggressive sexpest when we first meet him. Otherwise he’d just be some noble who keeps doing poo poo to some arrogant freshman who thinks the world revolves around them. He has to keep going out of his way to make Ambrose awful otherwise people, might remember just how much of a little bastard kvothe is.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

actually Kvothe is really cool when he totally owns Ambrose in a really cool and clever and smart and ownful way

quote:

He brought out his purse and shook it. “How much do you want?”

“Five talents,” I said.

He stared at me, frozen in the act of opening his purse. It was an outrageous price. A few of the spectators nudged each other with their elbows, obviously hoping I’d somehow swindle Ambrose into paying several times what my slot was actually worth.

“I’m sorry,” I asked. “Do you need that converted?” It was a well-known fact that Ambrose had botched the arithmetic portion of his admissions last term.

“Five is ridiculous,” he said. “You’d be lucky to get one this late in the day.”

I forced a careless shrug. “I’d settle for four.”

“You’ll settle for one,” Ambrose insisted. “I’m not an idiot.”

I took a deep breath, let it out again, resigned. “I don’t suppose I could get you to go as high as…one and four?” I asked, disgusted by how plaintive my voice sounded.

Ambrose smiled like a shark. “I tell you what,” he said magnanimously. “I’ll give you one and three. I’m not above a little charity now and again.”

“Thank you sir,” I said meekly. “It’s much appreciated.” I could sense the crowd’s disappointment as I rolled over like a dog for Ambrose’s money.

“Don’t mention it,” Ambrose said smugly. “Always a pleasure to help out the needy.”

“In Vintish coin, that’ll be two nobles, six bits, two pennies, and four shims.”

“I can do my own conversion,” he snapped. “I’ve traveled the world with my father’s retinue since I was a boy. I know how money spends.”

“Of course you do.” I ducked my head. “Silly of me.” I looked up curiously. “You’ve been to Modeg then?”

“Of course,” he said absentmindedly as he proceeded to dig through his purse, pulling out an assortment of coins. “I’ve actually been to high court in Cershaen. Twice.”

“Is it true that the Modegan nobility regard haggling as a contemptible activity for those of any highborn station?” I asked innocently. “I heard that they consider it a sure sign that the person is either possessed of low blood or fallen on truly desperate times….”

Ambrose looked up at me, frozen halfway through the act of digging coins out of his purse. His eyes narrowed.

“Because if that’s true, it’s terribly kind of you to come down to my level just for the fun of a little bargain.” I grinned at him. “We Ruh love to dicker.” There was a murmur of laughter from the crowd around us. It had grown to several dozen people at this point.

“That’s not it at all,” Ambrose said.

My face became a mask of concern. “Oh, I’m sorry, m’lord. I had no idea you’d come on hard times….” I took several steps toward him, holding out my admissions tile. “Here, you can have it for just ha’penny. I’m not above a little charity myself.” I stood directly in front of him, holding out the tile. “Please, I insist, it’s always a pleasure to help the needy.”

Ambrose glared furiously. “Keep it and choke,” he hissed at me in a low voice. “And remember this when you’re eating beans and washing in the river. I’ll still be here the day you leave with nothing but your hands in your pockets.” He turned and left, the very picture of affronted dignity.

There was a smattering of applause from the surrounding crowd. I took flourishing bows in all directions.

Literally "and then everyone stood up and clapped".

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
holy adverbs batman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That last section is some of the most painful late 2000s GBS poo poo-that-didn't-happen I've ever seen