Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Another pound+ of delicious fungus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

drk posted:

I'll tackle this since I'm also in CA and doing the soaker hose thing:

I take the area I'm trying to water and multiply that by the inches to determine how much to water.

So, for example, I have a planter that is about 12 square feet, so 1" of water is about 7.5 gallons. At 25PSI my 25 ft soaker hose does about 1 gal / min, so I try to get around 8 minutes a week. This is easy enough to do with a timer and a pressure regulator.

I'm... not entirely sure this math is right, but it seems to be working well for me (to be fair, these are all things I am not terrible at growing):

Watering is just trial and error IMO. Run it for a while, let it penetrate, then go out there with a moisture meter the next day to see how much water is sticking around. So many variables in terms of the type of soil, type of bed, humidity, etc. that it's hard to be rigid about it.

I do wish it was more clear cut though. I used a $40 irrigation system with adjustable emitters last year and had pretty excellent results, even if it was messy as gently caress with tubes running all over my paths waiting to trip me up.

This year I got a more purpose-built system from Drip Depot that made my garden look infinitely neater. I opted to use 1/4" 0.5 GPH dripline on my beds and I'm kind of regretting it because it's too slow and the coverage isn't great. Trying to supplement with some of the emitters from last year, but that just makes it worse since I need to run the driplines for a long time to get anywhere and the emitters oversaturate in that time. Probably I'll just add more emitters.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Oof, something got into my garden yesterday (dunno if it was the dog) but they completely severed a cute orange zinnia my mom had given me, so that's gone, and they did a number on one of the vincas as well. The vinca will probably survive but the loss of the zinnia is a little sad. At least it was just those two plants, everything else seems to be doing just fine, even had two more of the unsolicited bulbs sprout which is cool.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

poverty goat posted:

Very jealous

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm not sure if the lil guy is going to make it :(

Also let me know if there's too much mulch or something.

That Old Ganon fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 4, 2022

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

It's dead, Jim

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I mean, I’ve seen plants come back from worse, but yeah, probably.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
thats way too big of a pot, try to size your pots so you can water everyday

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Super woody mulch can reduce nitrogen levels near the surface, doesnt matter so much for well established plants but I wouldnt put it on tiny transplants.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, the lil fella got snowed on. This is the other one in comparison:

drk
Jan 16, 2005
whats snow?

signed, zone 10a

(and yes, obviously if something froze thats quite likely to be the problem)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

poverty goat posted:

What a flush! :swoon:

And perfectly timed, as I was just coming into this thread to post about mushrooms 😊.

I repurposed my old quarantine garden tent into a mushroom chamber. I made a DIY humidifier and put a fresh filter on the exhaust fan so that I don't accidentally inhale a trillion spores. It sits at about 73F with 90% humidity and constant air exchange.

I got some grow kits to kick-start things and as proof of concept for the tent's fruiting conditions, but I'm going to do an oyster bucket in the near future. The initial grow kits (those Back to the Roots ones on Amazon) are doing very well! I got some beefier grow blocks off Etsy, and have spawn on the way to make my own blocks.

Right now I have pink, blue and grey oysters going. I grabbed half-a-pound of pink oysters today, and the greys pinned yesterday and are swelling up beautifully. The blue block is a newer one from a farm on Etsy and hasn't pinned yet. I love pink oysters. Seasoned with paprika and sauteed, they remind me of pork belly.

I put a colonized shiitake block in there the other day as well; it should pin in a few days. I also ordered an inoculated chestnut block, which is sitting in the dark portion of the tent. Should be colonized in about two weeks.

I'll upload photos later. Mushrooms are so neat.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Shine posted:

Seasoned with paprika and sauteed, they remind me of pork belly.

What I've been doing is just standing them up & pushing the clusters together to keep each other upright, dousing/brushing all the gills with olive oil and salting generously and roasting at 425 for 15-20 mins until the inner bits are tender when squeezed. And the resemblance to pork really is uncanny. The gills and edges crisp up just like the fatty bits of a grilled pork chop, and the center just melts in your mouth and explodes w/ juice like pork belly but moreso. Done perfectly it's like the perfect bite of grilled pork.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I use a blood and bone meal spray for just about everything. Maters get a fish based spray that helps them build good legs. I think a good compost based soil is really the main thing for happy plants.

All the mushroom posting is making me super jealous. We have a huge crawlspace that would be perfect for it and I just keep being lazy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I took a lot of wood off some young trees this week in an attempt to control fireblight.

Poor trees. :smith:

caluki
Nov 12, 2000
On the subject of poor trees...

We moved into a new build house 1-2 months ago and these trees that the builder/their landscaper planted are not looking very healthy. Can they be salvaged? I don't actually know what they are...an arborvitae of some kind? The soil in general is full of rocks and other random construction debris. And they were mulched whenever planted, but we haven't done anything since. Haven't really been watering them since there has been a lot of rain since we've moved in. Central NJ for climate reference.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Those are gone.

While in some scenarios you could transplant and trim them and have them still be "alive" they're never (well, not in the next 5 years) going to be shaped well/properly again.

They way they are dying back is most commonly associated with the roots being damaged during transplanting. I'm gonna guess they were plopped into holes (possibly too deep) with the cage and burlap still on them and then someone threw hardwood mulch over the mess they made. You can do a little digging around to see.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

caluki posted:

We moved into a new build house 1-2 months ago and these trees that the builder/their landscaper planted are not looking very healthy. Can they be salvaged? I don't actually know what they are...an arborvitae of some kind? The soil in general is full of rocks and other random construction debris. And they were mulched whenever planted, but we haven't done anything since. Haven't really been watering them since there has been a lot of rain since we've moved in. Central NJ for climate reference.

second from left might be ok, maybe the left most tree as well. Transplanting/repotting again is a gamble, you can correct the poor soil conditions but the stress of uprooting the tree may push it over the edge. Conifers especially are sensitive to root trauma. is there any sign of new growth, like light green growth emerging from the tips?

you can leave them and pray, watering thoroughly every week as needed, or replace them if you dont wanna wait and miss out on summer growth. Very little you can do in the meantime to help them. avoid fertilizers for now.

personally i'd wait until end of summer to give them a fighting chance and then replace any dead trees with something thats on end-of-season sale

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Transplanting/repotting again is a gamble, you can correct the poor soil conditions but the stress of uprooting the tree may push it over the edge.

They would have to be moved when completely, totally 100% dormant for them to have any chance at all.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

And they aren't great trees to begin with, before they died. You can do better just by not buying from Home Depot. Question: is that large tree on the very right of the picture shading the two rightmost trees?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

caluki posted:

Those are Leyland cypresses. They are awful, miserable trees. Rip them out. Replace them with some actual thuja, if you want the arborvitae look, or you can replace them with a whole bunch of other good landscape plants.

They are dirt cheap (extremely easy to propagate and grow up into something sellable) and they can grow really big really fast, but also they will die/turn to poo poo at the drop of a hat. They are naturally very short-lived, generally only lasting 2-3 decades at very best, but also good at becoming invasive under the right conditions. They are the go-to filler plant for the unscrupulous landscaper who wants a lot of vertical green in not a lot of time/for not a lot of money.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And they aren't great trees to begin with, before they died. You can do better just by not buying from Home Depot. Question: is that large tree on the very right of the picture shading the two rightmost trees?

You can actually get pretty good trees for stupid cheap at the Despot/Lowe’s, you just have to know your poo poo and be very lucky and also have impeccable timing/too much free time

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 8, 2022

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I just bought some petunias and re-potted them. I live in Connecticut and the woods are my direct backyard, so I get a lot of wildlife.

If I put them right outside of my door, will rabbits/squirrels etc come up to eat them? I know this is a newbie question. I see plenty of squirrels running around but don't know if they would come all the way up to my front entrance to eat flowers when there's plenty to eat all around the grounds.

Is there a good way to protect them other than keeping them inside and using indirect sunlight? I have generally seen advice to sprinkle cayenne pepper on them when watering.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 8, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

They would have to be moved when completely, totally 100% dormant for them to have any chance at all.

good catch, i misread the post as "planted 1-2 months ago"

fawning deference posted:

I just bought some petunias and re-potted them. I live in Connecticut and the woods are my direct backyard, so I get a lot of wildlife.

If I put them right outside of my door, will rabbits/squirrels etc come up to eat them? I know this is a newbie question. I see plenty of squirrels running around but don't know if they would come all the way up to my front entrance to eat flowers when there's plenty to eat all around the grounds.

Is there a good way to protect them other than keeping them inside and using indirect sunlight? I have generally seen advice to sprinkle cayenne pepper on them when watering.

do you have neighbors that garden? they'd know the local pest nuisances best and might be able to make recomemndations. Cayenne+water in spray bottle is good. in a pinch, you may have to use some kind of small wire fence

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

good catch, i misread the post as "planted 1-2 months ago"

do you have neighbors that garden? they'd know the local pest nuisances best and might be able to make recomemndations. Cayenne+water in spray bottle is good. in a pinch, you may have to use some kind of small wire fence

I will ask my landlord and glad to hear cayenne is a decent preventive measure. Thanks!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

So I hear we like mushrooms in here this year. We got a bunch of rain this week and this guy showed up since yesterday with a bunch of friends. It's bigger than my hand. One half sheet tray full of them, and lots more to come this week I'd guess.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Those are Leyland cypresses. They are awful, miserable trees. Rip them out. Replace them with some actual thuja, if you want the arborvitae look, or you can replace them with a whole bunch of other good landscape plants.

They are dirt cheap (extremely easy to propagate and grow up into something sellable) and they can grow really big really fast, but also they will die/turn to poo poo at the drop of a hat. They are naturally very short-lived, generally only lasting 2-3 decades at very best, but also good at becoming invasive under the right conditions. They are the go-to filler plant for the unscrupulous landscaper who wants a lot of vertical green in not a lot of time/for not a lot of money.
Also also if they are damaged in any way (say, lose a limb or get topped), they lose their conical form. My old neighborhood was full of Leylands that had one branch reaching out into the thin air, had bare patches on the sides, or just looked weird because the tops were cut off. They don't recover gracefully from damage.

Tell us where you are. Nothing specific, just USDA zone if you prefer. We can suggest stuff that's pretty, easy to grow, and serves as a good visual barrier between you and the neighbors. :getin:

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Would already vaped weed be okay to dump into potted plants for compost?

And maybe sometimes not vaped.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Can't see why not

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yes. Everything will break down in the soil, it’s still just a plant.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

you'll get your compost addicted to the devil's lettuce, and pretty soon you'll be bailing it out of plant jail at 3am

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
if you fertilize your reefer plants with reefer then they’ll get the plant equivalent of mad cow disease and you’ll have to cull your whole planting, lest you give yourself a prion infection with your next toke

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are legitimately some plants that can harm others, called allelopaths, but they are rare and I’m pretty we would have heard about cannabis being one of them.

Walnut trees, for instance, produces juglone that inhibits the growth of competing plants around the walnut’s dripline. It also makes horses sick.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

fawning deference posted:

for rabbits, your best/only bet is to get them off the ground. Plant em in containers, put em up on a bench or low platform or on your patio.

This is my third year of keeping azaleas for bonsai in MA, and I’ve learned the hard way that a bonsai bench or alternative isn’t really a negotiable if you live in a rabbit-heavy area, it’s a must-have.

Obviously a squirrel will climb anywhere it wants, but I do find that the simple act of isolating the plant from the surrounding area by putting it up does a lot to cut down on animal interactions.

Prey animals are instinctively wary about exposing themselves on promontories/etc, so anything that’s gonna force them to climb up on a lone tall object and be visible and open to all the nasty birdies in the area is going to be deterrent to some extent. And if it’s a space/object that regularly gets a lot of human interaction and traffic (ie like a table next to an entryway) then even moreso.

If you have trees/seeds/bugs/etc, I doubt the squirrels will want to eat your flowers too much tho. In my experience, the rabbits and deer are the ones you have to watch for direct injury to plants. Squirrels will bury seeds and nuts in your pots and beds (although way way less so if they aren’t directly on the ground) and birds will dig in them for seeds/grubs, or to steal your bonsai moss for their nests.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 9, 2022

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Platystemon posted:

Walnut trees, for instance, produces juglone that inhibits the growth of competing plants around the walnut’s dripline. It also makes horses sick.

juggalone, got it

caluki
Nov 12, 2000

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Also also if they are damaged in any way (say, lose a limb or get topped), they lose their conical form. My old neighborhood was full of Leylands that had one branch reaching out into the thin air, had bare patches on the sides, or just looked weird because the tops were cut off. They don't recover gracefully from damage.

Tell us where you are. Nothing specific, just USDA zone if you prefer. We can suggest stuff that's pretty, easy to grow, and serves as a good visual barrier between you and the neighbors. :getin:

OK this was all very helpful. Motronic's guess about them planting with the cage and burlap looks right. The large tree isn't really shading the two rightmost trees -- they all seem to get equal and decentish light.

If the trees are goners and were crap to begin with then it sounds like replacing them is the answer. The builder is actually pretty good about stuff like this, so they might pay for it or at least cover part of it if they're dead because the landscaper screwed up the planting.

I'm in Central New Jersey / Zone 6B per the USDA zone chart... advice on alternative options would be great.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Green giants or Emerald greens are pretty standard issue and widely available, depending on how big that space is and how tall you want them to get.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I do love seeing places that obviously planted a western red cedar hedge several decades ago and whoops now it's a row of trees 50' tall.

Also places where the landscaper has stuck a nice cute little row of them 1' from the wall of the house.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
anyone have any good inexpensive landscape edging ideas? specifically to edge 18"x18" rose beds. i'd love raw steel but $$ so i'm probably gonna cut fence pickets into stakes and use that.

Also--how long do you give a bare root rose to start growing before declaring it a dud? Planted 8 roses four days ago, 7 have shown new growth since. nothing yet from the other one, even though all the canes are green

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Four days is absolutely nothing. It's barely had time to start recovering from the root shock. Give them at least a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Four days is absolutely nothing. It's barely had time to start recovering from the root shock. Give them at least a month.

a whole month? im totally new to roses but familiar w other stuff, it can take that long in the warm weather? i have a lot to learn. honestly im well chuffed by the growth from the others so im impatient that this one is taking its time :D

ive wanted to grow roses for so long but never had the yard to do it with...... until now :madmax: