Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, my 70-pound dog ate like a dozen chocolate-covered biscottis once. Not just the chocolate, but he also has a grain allergy. Still, the worst that happened was that he got some diarrhea for a day or two afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
One time my 60-pound goofball somehow got into a bag of weed brownies (pretty big ones too) and ate three of them. We were worried but he was fine, he just slept for like 14 hours and woke up groggy as hell

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I really felt like the histerical human parent I often have to deal with in EMS, but for human conditions you usually can at least find some moderate professional information online, with the whole dog grape thing and not knowing of any better ressources it's literally just "your dog will die, go to the vet to get them on IV fluids ASAP".

Oh well, at least with the dog I get to experience the american healthcare system, paying for every line item etc.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Thread I'm kinda weirded out:
I found a bump (not very big, like the size of a mole) but it was under Briskets skin. I gave it a squeeze and it popped kinda like a zit? But it was all under the skin and nothing oozed out out anything.
Brisket seems fine and doesn't care. Any idea what that was?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

gave little chimpy an orange. she eats anything. very cute!!

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Alucard posted:

Quorum, glad to hear your pica-beast avoided major issues!

Also I know for certain I'll be back here in like 5 days complaining about how my gremlin's brain thinks she's ready to go full tilt when her body most certainly is not.

Like clockwork, the sleeper has awakened. No more pain meds, the non-dissolving stitches are out, and she's ready to go full tilt despite being a couple more days from being cleared for full football activities.

Just started back up with a couple of shorter walks a day out in the neighborhood and she's doing well, but it'll be a couple days before I let her tear rear end without a leash in the backyard.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Emotional support animals don't need any specific training but also don't have public access rights like a service dog does. If there are specific tasks your teen needs then they may benefit from a service dog which will take additional training to do those tasks and trainers familiar with training service dogs. Those tasks can include preventing self harm behaviors like skin picking, providing deep pressure therapy, alerting to upcoming panic attacks, creating space between the handler and the public, and getting help for their handler (just some examples). An emotional support animal doesn't need to do anything but be their good dog selves.

A well-trained dog is easier to live with either way and I at least find dog training to be really fulfilling so I'd suggest finding a trainer that uses positive reinforcement training methods. Here's a website with some good guidelines. You're not going to want a board and train situation, you're going to want to be part of the training. Personally, I always want to sit in on a training class before signing up because some people say they're positive on their website but you go and the entire class is tiny puppies on prong collars and that's not a class I'm going to be comfortable in. There are also lots of online training options these days if going to classes doesn't work for your schedule, I have the most experience with the Fenzi Academy Online, which I've used for years for tons of different training classes.

Few days late, but want to say thanks for this; it definitely helped clear some things.

Emotional support dog is probably what we're going for. More specifically, the "provide emotional support for the handler only" part. It's fully intended to be a family dog, but specialized for my daughter's support. Although, the preventing self-harm aspects of the service dog would be beneficial as well. We have no intentions of bringing the dog everywhere, and that's definitely not something she'd want either. She doesn't like being in the spotlight, and bringing a dog to school, the store, on planes, whatever, would be out of her comfort zone for sure.

That being said, we rescued a big loaf this weekend.
We've been contacted for matches to our application multiple times from this particular rescue, but none have lasted all the way to the weekend, which was the only time we could go meet them given our work and kid school and sports schedules. Finally, this weekend, one of our matches wasn't adopted right away, so we were able to finally meet him. He was shy at first, but then after walking him, he started warming up and was super great with everyone, toddlers included. All the kids wanted to bring him home immediatey, ha.

Meet Stanley:

He's a 75lb, 1-year old Black Lab/Catahoula mix. Super chill, pretty low energy, GREAT with my toddlers and older kids alike. Doesn't jump on people at all. Only jumps up for food occasionally. He's definitely stolen food off kid plates in the first couple days since the kids aren't used to not leaving food all over. His head can rest on our dinner table, which is another challenge. We've been trying to train him to lay down on a beanbag in the adjacent room while we eat. He's been super curious about his new surroundings and has been pretty good at differentiating his toys from the toddler toys.... for the most part. He's a huge cuddler, so when we're just chilling on the couch, he wants to put his head in your lap. His old home let him on the furniture, so we've given up on keeping him off and just enjoy our big cuddly oaf.

The only challenge so far has been keeping him from chewing on our fire wood, and generally trying to eat every single stick in our yard. We have a 45-foot blue oak in our backyard that shades most of it, and the slightest breeze sends 1000 leaves and branches falling down, so it's an impossible task to just keep the area completely clean of sticks. We do our best, but it's a massive chore to say the least. Could this be an indication of something? A phase? Or do dogs just like chewing on sticks? We have a couple nylabones, a Kong, and a couple other toys, but he typically chews those for 15 seconds and moves on. When I had my previous dog, he was also a chewer and LOVED the cut deer antlers you can buy online. On my first google to see if these were still available and kosher for dogs, it said that they can be harmful since it can splinter and stuff. Is that just a general "don't leave your dog alone for 4 hours with this and let him swallow chunks that he chews off" warning, or are they not ok anymore? Maybe I missed this before and was a big dummy though. With his love for chewing on sticks and firewood, I would guess that he'd love them.

We've got a (fenced in) pool and he will go onto the steps in the shallow end with no problem. He doesn't like anything floating in the pool, toys or people alike, so he definitely tries to 'retrieve' them by grabbing them or barking, which is pretty funny. He went in once and swam across the pool with no problems, so he's definitely a water dog, which is great.

The kids all had multiple rounds of voting for names, so we all had fun with that. He's been a total joy to have around so far. He's currently laying on my bed while I'm "at" work.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 2, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Puppy has seemingly survived owner-attempted grape poisoning, just figured you guys might want to hear.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The only challenge so far has been keeping him from chewing on our fire wood, and generally trying to eat every single stick in our yard. We have a 45-foot blue oak in our backyard that shades most of it, and the slightest breeze sends 1000 leaves and branches falling down, so it's an impossible task to just keep the area completely clean of sticks. We do our best, but it's a massive chore to say the least. Could this be an indication of something? A phase? Or do dogs just like chewing on sticks? We have a couple nylabones, a Kong, and a couple other toys, but he typically chews those for 15 seconds and moves on. When I had my previous dog, he was also a chewer and LOVED the cut deer antlers you can buy online. On my first google to see if these were still available and kosher for dogs, it said that they can be harmful since it can splinter and stuff. Is that just a general "don't leave your dog alone for 4 hours with this and let him swallow chunks that he chews off" warning, or are they not ok anymore? Maybe I missed this before and was a big dummy though. With his love for chewing on sticks and firewood, I would guess that he'd love them.

Stanley is adorable! Congrats on the new buddy!

I'm guessing the wood chewing is an indication that he's a young lab. They make wood chews for dogs called gorilla chews and having an appropriate wood option that you can redirect him to might help lessen the stick chewing. There's also like a wood alternative nylabone chew I've seen out there. I've never heard of antlers splintering, maybe if they were cut in half longways? I avoid chews that I can't make a dent in with my fingernails because I've paid for too many slab fracture tooth removals but if your dog isn't an aggressive chewer they can be a good option.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Few days late, but want to say thanks for this; it definitely helped clear some things.

Emotional support dog is probably what we're going for. More specifically, the "provide emotional support for the handler only" part. It's fully intended to be a family dog, but specialized for my daughter's support. Although, the preventing self-harm aspects of the service dog would be beneficial as well. We have no intentions of bringing the dog everywhere, and that's definitely not something she'd want either. She doesn't like being in the spotlight, and bringing a dog to school, the store, on planes, whatever, would be out of her comfort zone for sure.

That being said, we rescued a big loaf this weekend.
We've been contacted for matches to our application multiple times from this particular rescue, but none have lasted all the way to the weekend, which was the only time we could go meet them given our work and kid school and sports schedules. Finally, this weekend, Stanley wasn't adopted right away, so we were able to finally meet him. He was shy at first, but then after walking him, he started warming up and was super great with everyone, toddlers included. All the kids wanted to bring him home immediatey, ha.

Meet Stanley:

He's a 75lb, 1-year old Black Lab/Catahoula mix. Super chill, pretty low energy, GREAT with my toddlers and older kids alike. Doesn't jump on people at all. Only jumps up for food occasionally. He's definitely stolen food off kid plates in the first couple days since the kids aren't used to not leaving food all over. His head can rest on our dinner table, which is another challenge. We've been trying to train him to lay down on a beanbag in the adjacent room while we eat. He's been super curious about his new surroundings and has been pretty good at differentiating his toys from the toddler toys.... for the most part. He's a huge cuddler, so when we're just chilling on the couch, he wants to put his head in your lap. His old home let him on the furniture, so we've given up on keeping him off and just enjoy our big cuddly oaf.

We've got a (fenced in) pool and he will go onto the steps in the shallow end with no problem. He doesn't like anything floating in the pool, toys or people alike, so he definitely tries to 'retrieve' them by grabbing them or barking, which is pretty funny. He went in once and swam across the pool with no problems, so he's definitely a water dog, which is great.

The kids all had multiple rounds of voting for names, so we all had fun with that. He's been a total joy to have around so far. He's currently laying on my bed while I'm "at" work.

There's an adorable parable in here somewhere.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

SEKCobra posted:

Puppy has seemingly survived owner-attempted grape poisoning, just figured you guys might want to hear.

Hopefully your blood pressure has leveled off, congrats on your doofus surviving the iocane powder.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When I was a kid, we had a black lab who loved to chew on firewood. We'd hand him a stick and he'd work away at it. He'd round off the ends and wear the middle thin, and eventually it'd snap in half and we'd have to give him a new hunk of firewood. He never seemed to suffer any harm from all the wood chips that he doubtless ingested.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So we've had Sailor for two weeks now and he's really great. I like this pup a lot, but I'm struggling to make him into a perfect gentleman. He's 5 months old, and was given up by his prior owners who had him since puppyhood because they had some health issues that prevented them from being able to take care of him.

Chewing: He doesn't chew furniture, but he cannot resist sneaking away with shoes if he can get them. We've just been redirecting him with puppy-appropriate chewing things (nylabone, knotted rope tug toy, kong toy, etc)
Biting: He's got a bit of a bad habit here. He doesn't bite in anger, just very puppy-like believes that mouthing on people is an acceptable way to play and get peoples' attention. I've been addressing this by yelping whenever he nips at any level of pressure, and then stopping play, crossing my arms and ignoring him or leaving the room for ~30 seconds. When we're back to playtime I redirect with chew toys. He seems to be responding OK to this and improving somewhat, but it's really slow going.

Am I doing this right?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

canyoneer posted:

So we've had Sailor for two weeks now and he's really great. I like this pup a lot, but I'm struggling to make him into a perfect gentleman. He's 5 months old, and was given up by his prior owners who had him since puppyhood because they had some health issues that prevented them from being able to take care of him.

Chewing: He doesn't chew furniture, but he cannot resist sneaking away with shoes if he can get them. We've just been redirecting him with puppy-appropriate chewing things (nylabone, knotted rope tug toy, kong toy, etc)
Biting: He's got a bit of a bad habit here. He doesn't bite in anger, just very puppy-like believes that mouthing on people is an acceptable way to play and get peoples' attention. I've been addressing this by yelping whenever he nips at any level of pressure, and then stopping play, crossing my arms and ignoring him or leaving the room for ~30 seconds. When we're back to playtime I redirect with chew toys. Hbe seems to be responding OK to this and improving somewhat, but it's really slow going.

Am I doing this right?

At 5 months you're going to be struggling for quite a while longer. He's right on the verge of heading into teenage butthead time. It sounds like you're doing great though! It's just going to keep progressing slowly, and not always linearly, until eventually you realize you have a very good dog. Mine turned 2 in March and I've been amazed lately at how mature she's gotten. For the chewing I'd probably put some management in place such as gating off areas where shoes are kept so he can't keep practicing giving into temptation. Management is the key to not strangling your puppy in a fit of rage when they've stolen something for the millionth time and run off with it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Abby turned 1 on Sunday. This means she is no longer legally a puppy, and thus can no longer legally be an rear end in a top hat.

We took her to Point Isabel, a gigantic dog park on the San Francisco bay. She had an absolute blast.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Stanley is adorable! Congrats on the new buddy!

I'm guessing the wood chewing is an indication that he's a young lab. They make wood chews for dogs called gorilla chews and having an appropriate wood option that you can redirect him to might help lessen the stick chewing. There's also like a wood alternative nylabone chew I've seen out there. I've never heard of antlers splintering, maybe if they were cut in half longways? I avoid chews that I can't make a dent in with my fingernails because I've paid for too many slab fracture tooth removals but if your dog isn't an aggressive chewer they can be a good option.

Took Stanley to his final vet appointment before the final paperwork. We asked her about the stick thing and the vet just shrugged and said "it's a lab."

I've got an elk antler and a wood nylabone on order. Hopefully that helps!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Sherlock's mast cell tumor removal went really well. We are seeing the oncologist next week to discuss what the next steps are in terms of "will this happen forever?" (likely yes) and "is there anything we can do to prevent going forward?" (maybe no.)

Thankfully, they got full margins, even though they were only able to do proportionate margins and not the full 3 cm on each side. He had some problems with opiate withdrawal but is now off entirely. For a hot minute I was really concerned about having to do some kind of detox (he got the shakes when we tried to take him down the first time.)

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hi everyone, quick question. We got Mollie at 10 weeks old and she is now 7 months old. We seem to be through teething, she is house trained and generally a good girl. She hasn't had her first season yet. Tonight when were eating dinner, she jumped on the couch and urinated. She never did this even when house training. The internet suggests checking it isn't medical first, haven't seen any evidence except this she has a problem urinating. Should we just chalk this up as a one off and monitor her before taking her to the vet?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Hi everyone, quick question. We got Mollie at 10 weeks old and she is now 7 months old. We seem to be through teething, she is house trained and generally a good girl. She hasn't had her first season yet. Tonight when were eating dinner, she jumped on the couch and urinated. She never did this even when house training. The internet suggests checking it isn't medical first, haven't seen any evidence except this she has a problem urinating. Should we just chalk this up as a one off and monitor her before taking her to the vet?

If it's a one off thing I wouldn't sweat it, they make weird choices as teens. Anecdotally both of my females had one accident soon before their first heats so that might be something to watch out for coming up.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Thanks for the advice! I think she must be due very soon so that could make sense.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Griffin has developed a mustache and a stylish chin beard

I don't hate this.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
That is a suave and very good dog.

I got a puppy a few weeks ago and finally realized why everyone told me it was a bunch of work, ended up brining him back to the shelter to hopefully go with a family that can give him 24/7 attention. I waited about a week and then this sweet girl popped up on petfinder and I couldnt help myself. Year old blu heeler/australian stubby tail mix, about a year old. Has all the basic training down and is the most chill dog I've ever met, its so good, she's sleeping on my bed right now

She was owned by a schizophrenic for the first year of her life, to where it go so bad she had to be surrendered, jumped around a couple fosters in April, hasnt quiet figured out she doesnt have to move around anymore.

This is so much better than a puppy hahah I feel like I have a dog. Maybe a puppy for a second one in a few years...

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tayter Swift posted:

thus can no longer legally be an rear end in a top hat.

I'm sorry to tell you that it doesn't work like that and the assholery has only just begun.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I'm imagining someone screaming at their dog that is currently making GBS threads on the kitchen floor, exasperated, red faced, hat wrenched and twisted in their hands:

"You can't do this to me! This. Is. ILLEGAL!"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm imagining someone screaming at their dog that is currently making GBS threads on the kitchen floor, exasperated, red faced, hat wrenched and twisted in their hands:

"You can't do this to me! This. Is. ILLEGAL!"

I do this alll the time, lmao.
I constantly have to yell at Brisket for being too cute, and hurting all the other dogs feelings.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I have to constantly remind my gremlin that I'm the only one authorized to give her treats from our kibble bubble, and that she can't self-treat.

Thankfully it's secure enough that she can't get them out without me, but it doesn't stop her from trying.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I'm sorry to tell you that it doesn't work like that and the assholery has only just begun.

No, dog law is quite specific on this. No being an rear end in a top hat after twelve months.

Abby got groomed yesterday, so she missed the dog park. She responded by being an rear end in a top hat.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, my 70-pound dog ate like a dozen chocolate-covered biscottis once. Not just the chocolate, but he also has a grain allergy. Still, the worst that happened was that he got some diarrhea for a day or two afterwards.

My German Shepherd ate an entire box of 20 or so Butterfinger full sized candy bars, including much of the wrappers. I rushed her to the vet and he said she'd most likely be fine but we'd have some poop adventures over the next few days and he was right.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

This is Luna. She's 12 and has about half her teeth left. Loves sleeping 20 hours a day and running around like a maniac with her toys the other 4 hours. Will eat 20 lbs of food if given the chance.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

My friend's ween is much the same way. Will eat nonstop if allowed. Little tub o goo, she is.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

This is Luna. She's 12 and has about half her teeth left. Loves sleeping 20 hours a day and running around like a maniac with her toys the other 4 hours. Will eat 20 lbs of food if given the chance.

I have a childproof lock on my refrigerator because my dog will break in and eat my poo poo when I go to work :( Multiple pounds of chicken & sandwich meats, a 1 pound tub of sour cream, a dozen eggs, a container of Parmesan cheese all over the place...

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Cosmo gets a lot of attention whenever we go out

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Adrianics posted:

Cosmo gets a lot of attention whenever we go out

Deserves it, imo.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

My dog, who turned a year old in March, has gotten a lot better about chewing things she shouldn't (i.e. the furniture), but has recently started gnawing on her leash when we're not looking. Her leash had gotten to the point where there are a couple places where it looks like it could tear completely if she pulled hard enough (seeing a rabbit while on a walk or something - she's generally pretty good at not pulling during walks, but rabbits cause all sense/training to vacate her mind - side note she caught two bunnies in the back yard the week prior to Easter appropriately enough, one died and one actually hopped away after it had been head down almost entirely in her mouth while I was trying to get her to drop it). So with the leash in the state that it was in, I went and bought a new one yesterday. Fast forward to the evening and we're about to go out on a walk with the extended family and while distracted for literally a moment she gets the new leash and bites it clean in two. I think we are going to have to move on to a chain leash from now on.

Obligatory dog picture:

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Maggie starting to learn car rides mean fun, and not another foster home.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

This big beautiful boy is going under the knife today for a neutering. Anyone have any good tips to keep a 7 month old puppy calm for 5-10 days?

We opted for the more expensive laser incision because it heals faster and I'm hoping to get the cone off as soon as he's ready. How do I know when that is? the vet will tell us but I'm looking for some tips.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Another Bill posted:

Anyone have any good tips to keep a 7 month old puppy calm for 5-10 days?

Lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Real answer: the cone came off of my boy within the same day because he was hurting himself more with it on. We just watched him but he didn’t really try to fuss with his stitches too much. You can try keeping him in an x-pen and leashed for potty breaks.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm hoping we can take it off Friday if the healing looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

ddiddles posted:

Maggie starting to learn car rides mean fun, and not another foster home.

:3: yes they do! Yet another successful trip to the dog park to wear him out.