Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Silver2195 posted:

Witch Watch was amusing while I was reading it, but now that I think about it, wasn't it almost all slight variations on scenarios/gags Witch Watch has done previously?

I still remember the time Witch Watch introduced the student council. And repeated the same schtick next week. It was like the author found out people didn't like the student council and its paper-thin gags, so they did the same thing again hoping repetition would make it funny.

Darth TNT posted:

EarthChild: It only just hit me how incredibly mean these chapters are to Maromi. (the astronaut)
Last chapter we learned that she overcame a bunch of hardships, worked her rear end off and has pride in being a woman in space and a hero to the others on Earth. All while being a little pissed off at the Earth children and their shortcuts.
But then in the last chapter some random schmuck literally floats up into space by strapping a baby to another guy, spends a bunch of time barfing and talking passed her at other people.
Then in this chapter he spends his time talking to himself (actually Kareri, but she doesn't know that because no one bothered to even tell her an Earthchild, a literal baby and a schmuck were coming) while staring out of the window at something only he can see and then just decides to go back down in the expectation to come back again later. Poor Maromi. :smith:

I spend way too much time thinking of Earthchild, save me.

I complained about Maromi's treatment last chapter as well, and thought it was lovely how everyone just ignored her in the latest chapter. She really was just introduced just to make the MC look better in comparison.

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah it is. It's why some of us would like to see Witch Watch continue on with its actual story. I mean it's entertaining and all, but it needs to be careful to stay interesting and entertaining.

This is why Witch Watch became one of the series I read first every week while saving the better ones for last. It started off as a manga with a decent hook and solid gags, but it seems like the author has no idea how to progress the plot so now it's just a standard gag manga. Heck, it also seemed to ditch the 'let's form a club to help students with magical solutions' aspect, so now there's even less structure to the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Am I the only person who read Super Smartphone and had a problem with the main character being nicknamed Q and dealing with children going missing? It lowkey bothered me; afaik, QAnon wasn't huge in Japan, but it did have a few believers there

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

As someone who's not American I never think of Qanon and i'm assuming most people in Japan are the same. So I think you might be reading too much into it.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

As someone who's not American I never think of Qanon and i'm assuming most people in Japan are the same. So I think you might be reading too much into it.

Probably, it's more than likely

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Japan like extremely has people that are on that Chud Qanon poo poo.

It probably took hold in Japan more than it did anywhere but here.

https://www.asahi.com/sp/ajw/articles/14592759

Dexo fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 10, 2022

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

As someone who’s American I didn’t even draw that connection

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
When I think of Q I think of Star Trek and a mischevious, omnipotent, and bored John De Lancie. :shrugs:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Shinji2015 posted:

Am I the only person who read Super Smartphone and had a problem with the main character being nicknamed Q and dealing with children going missing? It lowkey bothered me; afaik, QAnon wasn't huge in Japan, but it did have a few believers there

I just realized this is the second crime-solving high schooler nicknamed Q that I know of.

(The first one was Kyu from Detective School Q from back in the 00s)

(I can only assume there's some kinda pun involved)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Erg posted:

As someone who’s American I didn’t even draw that connection

Yeah same here. I enjoyed the chapter but knowing that it is a thing over there I'll have to keep my eyes out for red flags, but nothing else seems suspicious about it yet imo

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I chuckled at the kid calling himself "Q" but I don't expect anything to come of it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

A lot happened in the latest Ranger Reject.

I wonder if D is going to impersonate the Blue Keeper and take over his life?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kyte posted:

I just realized this is the second crime-solving high schooler nicknamed Q that I know of.

(The first one was Kyu from Detective School Q from back in the 00s)

(I can only assume there's some kinda pun involved)

I think it's that the pronunciation of Kyu sounds like Q. That's it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

A lot happened in the latest Ranger Reject.

I wonder if D is going to impersonate the Blue Keeper and take over his life?

I really dislike that rooster. Someone needs to pluck his feathers.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Every time i see a new chapter of Ranger Reject and read the words "Bailong Exams", i die a little inside

please just end

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Every time i see a new chapter of Ranger Reject and read the words "Bailong Exams", i die a little inside

please just end

Yeah, it's been dragging a lot, and it's slowly killing my interest in the series

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, it's been dragging a lot, and it's slowly killing my interest in the series

I understand that, but once the executive showed up I felt like things started moving again, and now that D had his big fight with a ranger the whole manga is kind of back to what I liked about it in the first place.

The early parts were rough, though. A ton of new characters, not much progress on the main plot, and incredibly low stakes while still treating them as high stakes does make it more difficult to stay engaged.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I understand that, but once the executive showed up I felt like things started moving again, and now that D had his big fight with a ranger the whole manga is kind of back to what I liked about it in the first place.

The early parts were rough, though. A ton of new characters, not much progress on the main plot, and incredibly low stakes while still treating them as high stakes does make it more difficult to stay engaged.

I'm pretty much in the same boat here. Once Chickenman showed up it's been ratcheting things up a decent amount.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thought you guys were talking about a different Ranger manga https://mangadex.org/chapter/d820e285-aaff-439f-849b-e05c3649001b/1 and I was wondering why opinions on it had soured so much.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Thought you guys were talking about a different Ranger manga https://mangadex.org/chapter/d820e285-aaff-439f-849b-e05c3649001b/1 and I was wondering why opinions on it had soured so much.

Nah, that manga's great.

And I will say that the latest chapter of Ranger Reject was the best in a long while

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

All we need is a Metal Hero and Ultraman rep and I'll consider our party complete. Rosie will probably get a Garo transformation item down the line and we covered Kamen Rider.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, Red Ranger Isekai is just silly and fun.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
There is a new yomi no tsugai chapter out

https://mangadex.org/chapter/8cbb9f4e-ec1e-4b74-999d-7e6a0b52c268/1

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
All this stuff about the parents is interesting and all, but every chapter I keep asking, "WHY DID THEY MURDER THE VILLAGE!?"

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Alacron posted:

All this stuff about the parents is interesting and all, but every chapter I keep asking, "WHY DID THEY MURDER THE VILLAGE!?"

If they think the village is sending assassins and disappeared the parents, aren't they just responding in kind?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hypocrisy posted:

If they think the village is sending assassins and disappeared the parents, aren't they just responding in kind?

I mean, no

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Alacron posted:

I honestly can't think of a good reason to go murdering civilians outside the mouth girl clearly enjoying wanton slaughter. Maybe the bad blood between the mountain village and the offshot that left is just that malicious

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
lol at Witch Watch

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Alacron posted:

lol at Witch Watch

Probably one of the best and dumbest justifications I've ever seen.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm really digging super smartphone. It's a fun blend of things and I hope it can keep it up.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Doron: Kusanagi what are you doing? Kusanagi stop go back home.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's probably a fakeout and he brought his friends

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I hope so because that was some darwin award poo poo otherwise

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm really digging super smartphone. It's a fun blend of things and I hope it can keep it up.

I'm just not very clear on what tone it is going for so far. It's kind of like Kid Friendly Death Note but it's also pretty blunt about invasion of privacy and constantly pushing the MC to do extremely morally questionable things and rewarding him for it. It'd be interesting to see if it is going for "having this level of power is corrupting and dangerous" or "It's totally okay to invade people's privacy because I'm a superhero."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm just not very clear on what tone it is going for so far. It's kind of like Kid Friendly Death Note but it's also pretty blunt about invasion of privacy and constantly pushing the MC to do extremely morally questionable things and rewarding him for it. It'd be interesting to see if it is going for "having this level of power is corrupting and dangerous" or "It's totally okay to invade people's privacy because I'm a superhero."

My guess is it's the former considering literally everything being foreshadowed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dexo posted:

My guess is it's the former considering literally everything being foreshadowed.

I am genuinely hoping so! That is a much cooler concept than "I'm the good one" which is what the mention of other people having the Smartphone made me think.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ImpAtom posted:

I think we’ll find out in the next few chapters. Either he rescues his classmates or they get horribly murdered to show off what other smartphone users can do

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Issho continues to surprise me, the "People expect me to look scarier" line feels very directed at people who got their initial impression of him as some terrifying devil after his double-paged picture last chapter. We've known since his pupil appeared like 10 or so chapters ago that Issho's very interested in raising a new generation, and we get more of a sense for his motivations here, and it's a very valid perspective. Hell, I've done a lot less anime watching or e-sports watching or book reading than before due to getting into mobile games and VTubers myself. Issho's concerns are probably very real for anyone practicing an art form that's not particularly mainstream - you gotta appeal to the kids or watch what remains of your culture slowly die out. That said, it's ironic, then, that he ended up expelling someone whose love for rakugo WAS inspiring the youth - Akane's father's craft was pretty much the reason that Akane got into rakugo into the first place. So I guess we have to hear the reason for the expulsion from the man himself. Was it really just to drum up controversy and get more eyes on rakugo, or was he being honest about his dissatisfaction with the age-based hierarchy of rakugo? Or was it something else? Either way, the manga's still super good and I've started saving it for last instead of Elusive Samurai.

Ayashimon: So, as expected, it's not Doppo himself, but at the same time, it is Doppo himself in a way. I assume that despite what everyone says, Fake!Doppo is still weaker than the actual Doppo. It'd be neat if Fake!Doppo overthrew Real!Doppo and became the final villain, though. Though given how Taimans work I doubt it.

Elusive Samurai: Riding on flaming spears to skewer the enemy is very dope. Great imagery. Time for Shokan to die, I guess. Sorry, little girl who didn't want him dead.

Mashle: Eh.

Roboco: Punchline felt a bit weak but the rest of the chapter was pretty fun! Honestly I wouldn't mind the Famichiki function. Heck, I'd pay for the food myself, especially if the function included nikuman. I love conbini nikuman. Also liked Gachi Gori noticing that Roboco seemed a bit slimmer, calling back to earlier in the chapter. Small things that amuse me. Good chapter overall.

Sakamoto Days: Sad that the kids couldn't take down Gaku but on the other hand real Gaku is a fuckin' beast who pretty much destroyed an entire JAC building by himself, and now he's fighting without regard for his vessel's safety so it makes sense that Shin's still not up to that level. Poor Shinaya is gonna wake up feeling REALLY sore though. Hope Slur's gang will pay out medical fees for him, too!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I haven't finished reading yet, but did my most important things so far.

Ayashimon: Exactly as expected. Except for the mask though. But man, it looks so much fun when Maruo gets his dumb grin on his face. :allears: And he uses his new super special super power....to punch something.

Doron: Oh dear lord, please be smarter than this Kusanagi. Because falling for the same trick twice would be incredibly stupid. The flashback he had seems to imply he may have done something, because otherwise that flashback makes no sense.

Mashle: The best I can say about this, is that they just knocked a whole bunch of days off the training arc.

Undead Unluck: Touching and cool. Even if it's a bit cheap. I hope we see Rip again next loop. :ohdear:

Sakamoto: :tviv:

Earthchild: You know, this chapter was probably salvageable. I'd say the general idea here is good enough.
It's just that everything before it means this is dumb, it takes too many words for anything and everything after the words just makes Waste look incompetent...again.

Albert: "Wait? You want to go back! This will cost us valuable time!"
me: "Well Albert, if you'd explained your dumbass plan from the start we wouldn't have to go back. It's all your fault so shut up."

Seriously, it's like if you want to cross a fast flowing river and you have a 2 step plan.
1: Make a raft.
Then everyone gets on the raft and as you float powerlessly down the river you point out that step 2 was to make an oar or a sail.

Albert: "But if you feel that you must than we will go back. It's easier anyway because now gravity will help us. So we can easily make it."
me: "I'm not sure that's how reentry works."
And so they easily fly down from space.
Reminder, this is a trio. Where one guy gets winded lifting a ladybug across the room, but is now slowly lifting a guy down through the Earth's atmosphere and a literal baby strapped to him to pull the tired guy along....and they're doing this apparently in the same day.

Then for some reason they start trying to treat astronaut lady as a joke? When she's the most likeable and realistic character in this series. This series has absolutely no idea if it wants to be taken seriously or not does it?

Having Reisuke now take out his cell phone to talk psychically to the girl without looking like a maniac is actually a good joke.

Then we arrive and grandma and grandpa who had their minds wiped...except no, they're not wiped. Because today we learn that the machine that can wipe minds can also rewrite memories!
:nallears: Waste....why? Why don't you just always rewrite memories instead of wiping them?
I also just can't imagine watching home videos will somehow make a baby love mommy enough? It's not like that baby will recognize kid version of mommy.
But it's okay, because Grandma and Grandpa also vaguely remember what really happened in the clunkiest words ever written on paper.
:nallears: Waste....is there anything you guys can do that actually works?
And the explosion of love when they remember will surely help Mamoru recognize mom.
Why do all parents seem to have been perfectly aware of their Earthchilderen but Reisuke needed to be mindwiped multiple times so they could take Mamoru away? :psyduc:

Which the hidden door will somehow do. And can we just take a moment to appreciate the door? Again a good idea, except it's handled terribly.
They show the room, make it clear Kareri doesn't want them to enter because the thing will blow their mind.
Then they enter anyway, except grandma and grandpa who literally didn't go in in forever. Because the memories hurt.
We only hear the reaction but don't see what it is.
And then Reisuke thinks the thing is the thing that will cause grandma and grandpa to remember. Tune in next time.

Wouldn't this have worked better if he hadn't entered until his dilemma to search for a solution?
"Hmm, she didn't want me to enter, but I will ignore her wishes to try and save her!"

Or if we were shown what the thing was but had no idea what it meant?
I fully expect it to be something exceptionally dumb, like a childish drawing she made when she was an adult. Or maybe even a simple photograph. There's no way in hell it's going to be something clever.

Now if only the editor actually did something, because this chapter could get it's point across in easily half the amount of pages.
I also found it slightly hard to follow because the Mangaka just stopped drawing people in and just drew textboxes for half the chapter.
Even if this chapter wasn't the worst thing ever, he still manages to mess up in new and creative ways.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 16, 2022

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Akanebanashi rapidly becoming my favourite series in Jump despite me loving the gently caress out of Ayashimon as well.

Brought To You By posted:

I honestly can't think of a good reason to go murdering civilians outside the mouth girl clearly enjoying wanton slaughter. Maybe the bad blood between the mountain village and the offshot that left is just that malicious

Since that first chapter it really feels like "Oh poo poo I didnt mean to make them come off that bad poo poo poo poo poo poo" move from the author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The real question in Earthchild is when will Kareri's parents bring up the fact that some adult married and got their underage daughter pregnant.