Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
That obi wan show is gonna have someone named Ben be really important to him, isn't it

Like he has to hide out on a duck farm, and the Hayden Christensen-looking stable boy teaches him to love again, then dies to save him from the baddies

FunkyAl posted:

I maintain that Rise of Skywalker contains the best movie of the back 3 and I may some day "guerilla" edit, it.

That's the spirit! Got a rough idea on what you'd change?

Spermando posted:

I give it 7 or 8 more years until people start looking back on the sequels fondly and ask that Daisy Ridley be brought back.

I mean, like with every star wars since 83, they've been fairly uncontroversially popular with non-fans.

CelticPredator posted:

Kylo Ren comes back from the dead and starts killing children again.

whispers "That's Anakin"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Hasnt stopped them thus far

I was gonna say. I'm not sure where all this faith in Disney comes from, they will wait until the TV shows aren't such a draw any longer and/or their market researchers tell them that the general public is ready again for movies, and then they will announce six trilogies in a row.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I liked Rey in Force Awakens. I didn't like where it went with her after that. But I liked Daisy at least. So I wouldn't mind if they bring her back and have her be the new Obi Wan. Give her a proper script and a chance to redeem the character.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Her character was good for one movie. And it wasn’t that one.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

She’s a great actor and kids like Rey. Whenever I go through Disney I see kids dressed as her.

kids are so loving stupid. it should be illegal to make media for them

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

I liked Rey in Force Awakens. I didn't like where it went with her after that. But I liked Daisy at least. So I wouldn't mind if they bring her back and have her be the new Obi Wan. Give her a proper script and a chance to redeem the character.

I have an amazing script for this sequel. Rey will be miserable and incompetent throughout the entire movie and at the end some rando will teach her a lesson that she already knew and that will basically reset the character to what she already was. Also the reasons why she's miserable are not even subtext in the previous films, but I'll pretend I came up with them. It'll be an amazing deconstruction and it'll teach her fans that the thing they like and came to watch deserves to be shat on for some reason.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Her character was good for one movie. And it wasn’t that one.

At least we agree she was good for 1 movie.

Spermando posted:

I have an amazing script for this sequel. Rey will be miserable and incompetent throughout the entire movie and at the end some rando will teach her a lesson that she already knew and that will basically reset the character to what she already was. Also the reasons why she's miserable are not even subtext in the previous films, but I'll pretend I came up with them. It'll be an amazing deconstruction and it'll teach her fans that the thing they like and came to watch deserves to be shat on for some reason.

I wonder if she could nail it the way Mark did.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

kids are so loving stupid. it should be illegal to make media for them

What an opinion hahah.

I have faith in disney because Marvel has turned out ok and the ST was entertaining even if the 9th movie had a couple distracting flaws.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Distracting flaw #1: it stinks!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TROS had only one flaw: it exists

Could've been worse: could've been filled with 'em

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

euphronius posted:

You would need an antagonist .

What if Palps came back? Again?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It’s hosed up they threw the obvious Finn/Rey romance under the bus because of tumblr fanfic people online and potentially China

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It’s hosed up they threw the obvious Finn/Rey romance under the bus because of tumblr fanfic people online and potentially China

Definitely a fangirl and China problem and not just appeasing regular American racists who don't want to see a white woman with a black man

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rey's costuming in The Last Jedi is so good :allears:

I was hoping they'd continue with visual storytelling through her wardrobe/stylings in TROS by letting her hair down and be completely free, but lol, they just go back to the way she looked in TFA. The concept art of her wearing the black fit similar to Luke's from ROTJ was so sick.

:sigh:

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 11, 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

teagone posted:

I was hoping they'd continue with visual storytelling through her wardrobe/stylings in TROS by letting her hair down and be completely free, but lol, they just go back to the way she looked in TFA. The concept art of her wearing the black fit similar to Luke's from ROTJ was so sick.

Had to shoehorn in those TFA outtakes

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

No Dignity posted:

Definitely a fangirl and China problem and not just appeasing regular American racists who don't want to see a white woman with a black man

I’m cool with adding American racists in the mix too why not

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Blood Boils posted:

That obi wan show is gonna have someone named Ben be really important to him, isn't it

Like he has to hide out on a duck farm, and the Hayden Christensen-looking stable boy teaches him to love again, then dies to save him from the baddies

That's the spirit! Got a rough idea on what you'd change?

I mean, like with every star wars since 83, they've been fairly uncontroversially popular with non-fans.

whispers "That's Anakin"

Less talking! Cut a lot of Poe's subplot, keep Finn's stormtrooper stuff. Leia is not in the film out of respect to Carrie Fisher. Possibly replace her/luke's ghost at the end with Kylo, or omit ghosts. The knights of ren live.

thrawn527 posted:

I've got news for you...

The reevaluation is reborn today. The war is just beginning.

I think the trick is there is no war. Buy Rey seems to be starting one

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

FunkyAl posted:

Less talking! Cut a lot of Poe's subplot, keep Finn's stormtrooper stuff. Leia is not in the film out of respect to Carrie Fisher. Possibly replace her/luke's ghost at the end with Kylo, or omit ghosts. The knights of ren live.

Is this the start to your new opening scroll? Because if so...I don't hate it.

quote:

LESS TALKING! Cut a lot of POE's subplot, keep FINN's stormtrooper stuff. LEIA is not in the film out of respect to Carrie Fisher. Possibly replace her/LUKE's ghost at the end with KYLO, or omit ghosts. THE KNIGHTS OF REN LIVE!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I didn't really walk out of TFA thinking a Finn/Rey romance was a sure thing. They give Finn a schoolboy crush on her, sure, but there's never even a whiff of any sort of adult romantic chemistry between them. They're basically coded as 12-year-olds, and don't progress much beyond that in the subsequent movies.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's been said to death in ITT, but there really didn't need to be a rey romance at all. It's a somewhat strange call because of course they didn't do that with luke in the OT and it worked fine. But I guess they felt the rey character didn't have enough going on, maybe rightly, and that was a cookie cutter option with the bonus of being in line with what the fandom wanted anyway

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

General Dog posted:

I didn't really walk out of TFA thinking a Finn/Rey romance was a sure thing. They give Finn a schoolboy crush on her, sure, but there's never even a whiff of any sort of adult romantic chemistry between them. They're basically coded as 12-year-olds, and don't progress much beyond that in the subsequent movies.

Yeah that happens when you, like, just don't continue with story threads. If I remember correctly, Rey and Finn don't interact at all until the very end of TLJ, which is just an insane decision considering the amount of time and attention they dedicated to their interaction in TFA. It doesn't really matter how "mature" their relationship was, it was a Chekhov's Gun that they went out of their way not to fire in the next two movies.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
There needs to be a romance as a thematic counterpoint to the other two. Rey and Kylo is the main thing that works.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
The domino effect meme but the small piece is "90s: wouldn't it be funny if these two characters hosed when they're not onscreen" and the big piece is "the biggest children's media corporation makes a Disney princess kiss a genocidal, patricidal dictator in the climax of a film to appease a pseudo-LGBT identity movement".

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Spermando posted:

The domino effect meme but the small piece is "90s: wouldn't it be funny if these two characters hosed when they're not onscreen" and the big piece is "the biggest children's media corporation makes a Disney princess kiss a genocidal, patricidal dictator in the climax of a film to appease a pseudo-LGBT identity movement".

“I can fix him” is a sexual orientation now?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Zoran posted:

“I can fix him” is a sexual orientation now?

https://www.lgbtqia.wiki/wiki/Inreasexual
I don't know anymore.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

No Mods No Masters posted:

I do think if they had been able to go in the more marvel like direction they were probably hoping for, force ghosts coming back to life would have been inevitable. It's probably not in play in the filoniverse, but no king reigns forever

If Rise of Skywalker was beloved there absolutely would have been some sequel era show with force ghost Kylo in it by now.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

She’s a great actor and kids like Rey. Whenever I go through Disney I see kids dressed as her.

And you know it's her because they only gave her one costume for all three movies.

Darth TNT posted:

Rey is likeable because Daisey Ridley absolutely throws herself into the role and is giving a hundred percent the whole time. Also she's a good actor with a bunch of charm and charisma. She'd be pretty good playing pretty much any character.

The problem is that Ray is barely a character. It's okay to start with a lead that's a bit of mysterious blank slate. That allows your audience to get on board with them. They can't really stay there, though. She's more a likeable entity or action figure than a character. It works very well in marvel but I think Star Wars need a little more to go on.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah that happens when you, like, just don't continue with story threads. If I remember correctly, Rey and Finn don't interact at all until the very end of TLJ, which is just an insane decision considering the amount of time and attention they dedicated to their interaction in TFA. It doesn't really matter how "mature" their relationship was, it was a Chekhov's Gun that they went out of their way not to fire in the next two movies.

It's why in 10 years TLJ will probably be the least liked of the three new films, even if film twitter insists it's one of the best star wars films (these people are also classic liberals, not a shocker they aren't as smart as they think they are, just like the film they love.)

I've said since day one TROS will age better than everyone online said it would. Just like if you walked out of the prequel trilogies everyone hated it, and now you have 20 year olds saying it's the best films. I've legit heard people get anger when people think that the revenge of the Sith isn't the best star wars movie.

TROS isn't a perfect star wars film. (That's the original three). But it's a fun star wars film that is stumbling fun while trying to do almost impossible things. In some sense, JJ Abrams is like the Tom Cruise of film makers. Only he could manage to pull that off. Does it fully work? No. But it's very exciting as he tries to recover from RJ's lovely pitch.

(the weakest part of the TROS is not having force ghosts, and the video game side quest not making much sense.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Snowman_McK posted:

And you know it's her because they only gave her one costume for all three movies.

She has three pretty different outfits. But, just like kids who dress like Princess Leia usually (not always, but usually) dress like her in A New Hope, kids who dress like Rey usually dress like she looked when they first saw her, in The Force Awakens. (It's also the look with the best hair, that's also relatively easy to reproduce on a kid. I know, having put it on my 5 year old daughter when she begged me to.)

edit: Oh, the best hair thing applies to Rey and Leia. Though I meant Rey.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
<snip>

Nvm, I'm keeping this to myself just in case.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 12, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

I was just gushing over her dope rear end styling in The Last Jedi a few posts up

:negative:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So, ideal Rey is

- TLJ outfit
- TFA hair + personality
- TROS lightsaber

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LionArcher posted:

It's why in 10 years TLJ will probably be the least liked of the three new films, even if film twitter insists it's one of the best star wars films (these people are also classic liberals, not a shocker they aren't as smart as they think they are, just like the film they love.)

I've said since day one TROS will age better than everyone online said it would. Just like if you walked out of the prequel trilogies everyone hated it, and now you have 20 year olds saying it's the best films. I've legit heard people get anger when people think that the revenge of the Sith isn't the best star wars movie.

TROS isn't a perfect star wars film. (That's the original three). But it's a fun star wars film that is stumbling fun while trying to do almost impossible things. In some sense, JJ Abrams is like the Tom Cruise of film makers. Only he could manage to pull that off. Does it fully work? No. But it's very exciting as he tries to recover from RJ's lovely pitch.

(the weakest part of the TROS is not having force ghosts, and the video game side quest not making much sense.)
This post is mid trash

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TROS needed a Dark Souls fight against Palpatine where Rey and Kylo hide in the corner while Luke and Anakin feed Palpatine his teeth

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Invaded by Dark Spirit Count Dooku The Headless!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vinylshadow posted:

So, ideal Rey is

- TLJ outfit
- TFA hair + personality
- TROS lightsaber

So ideally, she wants to go back to Jakku.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Vinylshadow posted:

So, ideal Rey is

- TLJ outfit
- TFA hair + personality
- TROS lightsaber

Her hair at the end of The Last Jedi is best imo.

LionArcher posted:

I've said since day one TROS will age better than everyone online said it would.

Lol, Nah. And the prequels were always good, or maybe middling at best. They were never as bad as whatever random YT video essay might suggest.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I guess I just have a hard time envisioning what a critical or popular reevaluation of the sequel trilogy looks like. Sure, you can look back and say “hey, these movies looked pretty nice and had some fun performances,” but nobody has really ever challenged that. It’s a trilogy bookended by two profoundly empty movies. There’s just not much to unpack. The Last Jedi will be the only one anyone’s really interested in talking about 10 years from now; and I imagine those arguments will be pretty close on each side to what they were the week after it was released.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 12, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Vinylshadow posted:

So, ideal Rey is

- TLJ outfit
- TFA hair + personality
- TROS lightsaber

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

General Dog posted:

I guess I just have a hard time envisioning what a critical or popular reevaluation of the sequel trilogy looks like. Sure, you can look back and say “hey, these movies looked pretty nice and had some fun performances,” but nobody has really ever challenged that. It’s a trilogy bookended by two profoundly empty movies. There’s just not much to unpack.

There’s plenty. But not for you.