Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Nebrilos posted:

How could the lion eat her fear, if demons can only eat desires?

Also, Mithrun's argument really sucked. I guess he didn't know or care enough about Marcelle to make a good argument. His argument was about how the demon would eventually cause her to suffer, but if he made an argument about how the demon is trying to escape so it can devour the whole world, she might have been swayed.

Was it that demons could only eat desires, or was it that demons thought only desires were delicious?

And I think Mithrun's argument was more that having her desires granted wouldn't actually bring her satisfaction or happiness - the demon would immediately stoke her next desire, and then her next one, and she'd just keep pursuing even-more-impossible desires and working herself ever-harder to fulfill them. Even if the demon helped her fulfill a desire, she wouldn't be able to enjoy it. As a former dungeon lord himself, he knows better than anyone the mental state of someone enthralled by a demon, blinded by their own desires.

Hell, we're already seeing a bit of that. When Mithrun confronted her, she talked about reviving Farlyn, but it's not like she's actually working on that revival right now. Instead, she's raising an army of monsters to storm the surface. And no wonder, since her goal to modify the lifespans of everyone on the planet is a far greater desire than either Mithrun or Thistle had; it's probably an unparalleled feast for the demon, compared to the tiny morsel of "revive my friend".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I just binged this series over the last week. Immediately windmill slammed the english physical volumes, a preorder for the world guide, and this av.

Impossibly excited for the rumoured(?) anime.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

RuBisCO posted:

I just binged this series over the last week. Immediately windmill slammed the english physical volumes, a preorder for the world guide, and this av.

Impossibly excited for the rumoured(?) anime.

Enjoy the vol.8 CM while we all pray and wait.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlB-_rgSLBI

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I keep trying to get people to buy Delicious in Dungeon at work (I work at a Barnes and Noble) and I don't get a lot of bites! What's a good, succinct way to get people interested in it?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

I keep trying to get people to buy Delicious in Dungeon at work (I work at a Barnes and Noble) and I don't get a lot of bites! What's a good, succinct way to get people interested in it?

Depends on who you're pitching it to. I've had some luck with "A team of adventurers have to rush to the base of a dungeon to save one of their own from being eaten by a dragon. Lacking supplies, they have to cook their way to the bottom.", but that's with people who play DnD, so they've got a bit of a base level connection to the setting and the idea of dungeons as ecologies.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I say "there is a gay elf"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's untrue. there are multiple gay elves.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

thetoughestbean posted:

Link them to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrOJkMafH_U&t=45s

If you're like literally talking to people in-store? Uhhh I guess try a story with very loveable and very dumb characters on an adventure, with great world-building, genuinely heartwarming moments, and just really funny gags, all wrapped in a fantasy setting revolving around cooking and eating fantasy monsters while a very gay elf screams about it the whole time.

And then give them a little printout of this panel:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's untrue. there are multiple gay elves.

Can't believe I forgot kabru's boyfriend

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Snooze Cruise posted:

I say "there is a gay elf"

I typically don’t say a manga has gay characters unless it’s explicit, especially when recommending manga to customers. I don’t want them to feel lied to

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

I typically don’t say a manga has gay characters unless it’s explicit, especially when recommending manga to customers. I don’t want them to feel lied to

Yeah, that's a sensible policy.

Marcille also has her succubus take the form of a (utterly ridiculous looking) elven man, so that's even more of a beat where you're at risk of selling people a bill of goods.

If you promise people something a story doesn't deliver, it makes both you and the book look bad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

thetoughestbean posted:

one of my ways to sell the series is vaguely describing the interesting and highly detailed ways they cook things, from mimics to basilisks and even living armor. I never spoil the living armor one, but I have definitely had people come back to me and say how much they loved that bit in particular.

that's of course in addition to describing how the setting, characters, etc are all rock solid, it's genuinely funny, and the art is fantastic.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Honestly, the localized title is a tough hurdle to overcome. Delicious in Dungeon is one of the worst localized titles I've seen yet, and I say this as someone who loves the manga.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Eh, if they’re in the manga section I assume they can handle some dumb names

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dungeons and Dining or something like that if they really wanted to go for a D&D name would have been so much better yes

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

IIRC Delicious In Dungeon comes straight from the mangaka.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

one of my ways to sell the series is vaguely describing the interesting and highly detailed ways they cook things, from mimics to basilisks and even living armor. I never spoil the living armor one, but I have definitely had people come back to me and say how much they loved that bit in particular.

that's of course in addition to describing how the setting, characters, etc are all rock solid, it's genuinely funny, and the art is fantastic.
Crustacean Mimics is by far the best twist this series has on a fantasy creature.

fake edit: Succubi being mosquitoes is a close second.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Ibblebibble posted:

It does.

It also wouldn't be the first time a highly-skilled professional had a less than optimal take in an unrelated field.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Bad Seafood posted:

It does.

It also wouldn't be the first time a highly-skilled professional had a less than optimal take in an unrelated field.

I do translations for a living, and one of the first things you learn is that the client gets what the client wants. Oh well, what can you do, I just hope someone at least tried to explain to the author why the title isn't the best.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
Far from the first time its happened. Attack on Titan's fan-translated title was way better as Advance of the Giants, but can ya do.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ibblebibble posted:

yeah so does attack on titan, doesn't mean it's a good name

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bybus Slago posted:

Far from the first time its happened. Attack on Titan's fan-translated title was way better as Advance of the Giants, but can ya do.

Attack on Titan is a much better name, even if it makes less sense grammatically.

The K sound is a strong hook, Titan is used less often than Giant so it's more independently memorable, and having three words instead of two means it's faster to say.

Add in it being less terrible vis a vis the later title drop, and Attack on Titan beats Advance of the Giants at a walk.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
What's wrong with Delicious in Dungeon? Adjective in Place sounds offputting to people or something?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gahmah posted:

What's wrong with Delicious in Dungeon? Adjective in Place sounds offputting to people or something?

Well, one problem is that people don't say "Dungeon" in English, instead going with "A Dungeon" or "The Dungeon". "In dungeon" sounds awkward.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Gahmah posted:

it's grammatically horrifying

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's DnD but a different context.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It's mostly that we're all jealous of how good the spanish localization of the name is.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Delicious dungeon itself works fine but the in makes it a mess

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

I Am Fowl posted:

It's mostly that we're all jealous of how good the spanish localization of the name is.

:yeah:

("Dungeons and Dragons" in spanish is "Calabozos y Dragones". Dungeon Meshi's spanish name is "Calabozos y Tragones" - "Dungeons and Swallowers/Gluttons")

e: Yeah checking back on it, Dungeon Meshi's only been officially published as Tragones y Mazmorras (exact same meaning and pun, just going by Spain's name for DnD)

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 13, 2022

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah so does attack on titan, doesn't mean it's a good name

Oh yeah I ain't saying it's great, I'm just saying don't blame the translators/localisers about it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

SexyBlindfold posted:

("Dungeons and Dragons" in spanish is "Calabozos y Dragones". Dungeon Meshi's spanish name is "Calabozos y Tragones" - "Dungeons and Swallowers/Gluttons")

Oh drat that is :krad: I love it. :allears:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

pnumoman posted:

I do translations for a living, and one of the first things you learn is that the client gets what the client wants. Oh well, what can you do, I just hope someone at least tried to explain to the author why the title isn't the best.
Yeah, when you get weird titles, or a turn of the phrase, I usually chalk it up to the client. I know translation/localization's sometimes a hot topic of contention (especially among weebs), but in this case it's really on the author.

SexyBlindfold posted:

Fantastic.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

SexyBlindfold posted:

Not to ruin the fun, but I'm Spanish and I've never ever heard someone call D&D by that name, only "Dragones y Mazmorras" (Mazmorra means dungeon with a sense of unexplored treasure fount, Calabozo is closer to a jail dungeon). Unless it's a Latin America thing.

Still a great pun because it's one letter away from Calabazas (Pumpkins). And the Castillan Spanish edition is called Tragones y Mazmorras which rolls off the tongue amazingly.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

SexyBlindfold posted:

They kinda did the same thing in french - "Donjons et Dragons" for D&D, "Gloutons et dragons" for Dungeon Meshi.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Unless it's a Latin America thing.

It is.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

meanwhile Korean just goes with 던전밥 which is essentially Dungeon Food

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
"Dungeon Meshi" is just "Tasty Dungeon" anyway. If they really wanted to lean into the D&D title they would have named it "Dungeons & Deliciousness."

Also, "Attack of the Titans" makes 1000% more sense in English, because my own first impression was "So this takes place on Titan? You mean the moon of Saturn? Is this sci-fi?"

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Mirage posted:

"Dungeon Meshi" is just "Tasty Dungeon" anyway. If they really wanted to lean into the D&D title they would have named it "Dungeons & Deliciousness."

Also, "Attack of the Titans" makes 1000% more sense in English, because my own first impression was "So this takes place on Titan? You mean the moon of Saturn? Is this sci-fi?"

Dungeon Meshi translates into Dungeon Food/Meal/Grub.

Delicious and Dungeon instead of the in would take off some of the weirdness.

boredsatellite posted:

meanwhile Korean just goes with 던전밥 which is essentially Dungeon Food

That would be just a straight translation of the title.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Today’s podcast sponsor is Dungeon Grub, a weekly crate that gives you all your dungeon themed food items. Go to DungeonGrub.com and use promo code “Meshi” for a ten percent discount on your first order. That’s DungeonGrub.com, with discount code “Meshi”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

thetoughestbean posted:

Today’s podcast sponsor is Dungeon Grub, a weekly crate that gives you all your dungeon themed food items. Go to DungeonGrub.com and use promo code “Meshi” for a ten percent discount on your first order. That’s DungeonGrub.com, with discount code “Meshi”

Instructions unclear, ate a larva.