Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pray for me goons, trying to get a free Ryobi table saw off craigslist that only needs $20 of parts to fix the minor damage to it :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

more falafel please posted:

it's heavy, it's kinda bulky, but it works well.

Adding to this -- I've used the brad nailer for a couple years. From woodworking projects to baseboard installation. Yes, it's bulky, but only on the back side, you can get into reasonably tight corners with the business end. Plus, it's got plenty of power. I've shot 3" brads into studs, plywood and poplar and never had one fail to fully sink.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Johnny Truant posted:

Pray for me goons, trying to get a free Ryobi table saw off craigslist that only needs $20 of parts to fix the minor damage to it :ohdear:

gotta replace some parts corroded by excessive exposure to blood

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

CommonShore posted:

anyone here ever try the ryobi 18v brad nailers or staplers?

I've had the Ryobi 18V 18ga brad nailer for about 3 years now. It's awesome and I recommend it every chance I get. I use it for small woodshop things like jigs, etc. But I've also used it to install trim in a few rooms, do multiple closet built-ins and all sorts of other stuff. The only downside is it's a bit heavier and bulkier than my old air nailer.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

gotta replace some parts corroded by excessive exposure to blood

Not my blood, not my problem!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I've had the Ryobi 18V 18ga brad nailer for about 3 years now. It's awesome and I recommend it every chance I get. I use it for small woodshop things like jigs, etc. But I've also used it to install trim in a few rooms, do multiple closet built-ins and all sorts of other stuff. The only downside is it's a bit heavier and bulkier than my old air nailer.

Does it shoot as fast as a pneumatic one or is there a reset time between each nail?

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Does it shoot as fast as a pneumatic one or is there a reset time between each nail?

Ah yes, it does not shoot as fast as pneumatic, there is a delay between each nail. I remember reading that about them when I bought it, but for the work I do I don't even notice it.

Edit: Well, compared to firing up the compressor, and taking out the hose to fire a dozen nails it's much faster. :smug:

Meow Meow Meow fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 11, 2022

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Dealing with a hose and my lovely pancake compressor makes me want a cordless gun every time, then I look at price of them.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Calidus posted:

Dealing with a hose and my lovely pancake compressor makes me want a cordless gun every time, then I look at price of them.

I was in the same boat, then I paid $50 for a reconditioned one. No battery, but I've got tons of Ryobi batteries.

It probably helps that my lovely harbor freight hose got a leak in it, and I haven't wanted to bother getting a new hose.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Johnny Truant posted:

I had one. A Ryobi table saw is perhaps worth less than the sum total of materials in it.

Never has a power tool made me more scared than that one.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

tracecomplete posted:

I had one. A Ryobi table saw is perhaps worth less than the sum total of materials in it.

Never has a power tool made me more scared than that one.

I have said this 50 or 60 times in this thread but gently caress Ryobi and also I do not like their tools very much.

Absolutely the jankiest loving poo poo even while mounted to my workbench. Also, their miter saw blows, also their belt sander blows, also their router blows, also :words:

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I own one of these. Unless you're at the level of the roofing magicians that are firing tip-touch and barely looking, it's going to be cycled by the time you've repositioned the tip.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Literally A Person posted:

I have said this 50 or 60 times in this thread but gently caress Ryobi and also I do not like their tools very much.

Absolutely the jankiest loving poo poo even while mounted to my workbench. Also, their miter saw blows, also their belt sander blows, also their router blows, also :words:

I can't speak to their hand power tools. But that table saw sucked poo poo through a straw.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Most Ryobi stuff, especially their 18v line, is pretty decent, at least if you're not a professional. I use a lot of their stuff, because it's cheap, and I got on their battery platform like 15 years ago.

But yeah, gently caress that table saw. I don't think there's a way to possibly make a cut on that saw safely.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I love my DeWalt table saw so much

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

I. M. Gei posted:

I love my DeWalt 70's Craftsman table saw so much

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

They got a real deece sale on an M18 Fuel hammer drill with three batteries and a hard case that I really want but don't quite have enough scratch for.

I might have enough cash for just the drill with one free battery though.

Dang, two batteries alone is $230, getting the tool and three batteries for $270 is a steal

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Glad I dodged the bullet of getting that table saw then!

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Johnny Truant posted:

I just thought of a better description of this: I've used two Harbor Freight table saws that I would prefer over that thing.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Schiavona posted:

Dang, two batteries alone is $230, getting the tool and three batteries for $270 is a steal

Yeah that hard case deal is solid, The first one not so much. the 3AH batteries are meh at best. The XC5.0's on the otherhand are good enough for most people uses, otherwise you're probably running HD9.0/HD12.0's

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Schiavona posted:

Yeah it is. The drill by itself is like $170 so if you pretend the case is free, that means the three batteries and charger are only $25 each.

I REALLY want to bite on this deal but the only way I can afford it is if I split the payment over two or three separate credit cards, and HomeDepot.com won't let me do that. Maybe if I do it as a phone order?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I. M. Gei posted:

Yeah it is. The drill by itself is like $170 so if you pretend the case is free, that means the three batteries and charger are only $25 each.

I REALLY want to bite on this deal but the only way I can afford it is if I split the payment over two or three separate credit cards, and HomeDepot.com won't let me do that. Maybe if I do it as a phone order?

Deals like this happen a few times a year, don't go into debt for tools you don't need.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Deals like this happen a few times a year, don't go into debt for tools you don't need.

^ this, also more specialized tool stores will typically have better promotions than home depot, Usually some in store below Minimum Advertised Pricing promotions and whatnot. Don't worry too much about missing a promotion.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need a new drill though. And I could use a few M18 batteries too, so :shrug:

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

CommonShore posted:

anyone here ever try the ryobi 18v brad nailers or staplers?

Yeah I have the Brad nailer, it works well enough for a battery nailer. I've used it to put in a bunch of edging where our timber floor meets higher tiled floors and it works fine.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Also wrt the Milwaukee/HD deals I have to be mindful of the battery quantities on the deals because I'm in Australia and even though it's cheaper to get Milwaukee 12v from HD and ship it via DHL, if it's got more than 2 batteries they legally have to split it up and it blows out on cost real quick. Tbh I don't mind copping it on batteries here for a few bucks extra but I just need to be mindful of what I'm ordering

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Also that neat drill they've got with the offset head isn't available in Australia so I'm gonna have to get one in

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I. M. Gei posted:

I need a new drill though. And I could use a few M18 batteries too, so :shrug:

Weren't you just posting about the drill you have that your spade bit was wobbling in? It's probably not the drill.

I'm just saying, nothing happening here is "OH poo poo BUY THE DIP" it's the normal "hey, deal's on". If you're not in a position that you can buy that poo poo right now, don't. Deals like this happen all the time, chill.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Most Ryobi stuff, especially their 18v line, is pretty decent, at least if you're not a professional.

This is the key for their hand power tools. Ryobi is meant for homeowners who are using it for few hours every other weekend.

I work in a fabrication company, and a former coworker once picked up a Ryobi drill kit for regular use. Everybody in the shop gave him poo poo about it. He bullheadedly was like “i’ll show them. Its fine!”

About 6 months later it was falling apart.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

tracecomplete posted:

I just thought of a better description of this: I've used two Harbor Freight table saws that I would prefer over that thing.

lol goddamn, I didn't dodge a bullet, I dodged a fuckin missile

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

This is the key for their hand power tools. Ryobi is meant for homeowners who are using it for few hours every other weekend.

I work in a fabrication company, and a former coworker once picked up a Ryobi drill kit for regular use. Everybody in the shop gave him poo poo about it. He bullheadedly was like “i’ll show them. Its fine!”

About 6 months later it was falling apart.

For the folks reading this: if you're not using ryobi tools in a professional capacity, they are likely fine for your intended use.

Personally I have a wall of 18v stuff and all of outdoor tools are 40v. I've only ever broken one tool (drill, attempting to mix 40lbs of mortar). I've built a shed and demolished a deck and renovated a bathroom and all my tools are going strong. I do a lot of hobby woodworking. I'd wager my tools have seen more use than 99% of homeowners. They're fine. And cheap(er).

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Table saws are one of those things you don't want to skimp out on. If you want accurate repeatable clean cuts, you need a good fence, a good blade (I really need to get a few good blades for all my saws), and a good table.
I really enjoy my delta saw.. it's big as gently caress though, and takes up a bunch of the garage. I just couldn't put my faith in the dewalt "geared" fence for the smaller footprint.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Sakara123 posted:

^ this, also more specialized tool stores will typically have better promotions than home depot, Usually some in store below Minimum Advertised Pricing promotions and whatnot. Don't worry too much about missing a promotion.

Any recommendations on how to follow these? I’d love to build out my collection at a lower cost and right now it’s just a lot of Taylor toolworks scratch and dent.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Johnny Truant posted:

lol goddamn, I didn't dodge a bullet, I dodged a fuckin missile

In fairness, the Hercules saw is pretty good for a jobsite saw. When on sale, though, the Metabo HPT's price-competitive and I really liked mine 'til I sold it to get a Delta.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It also depends on what kind of work you're doing. I know a guy who worked for several years doing internet/tv installs using ryobi drills, though part of his cost analysis for that was that when doing a drive-around job like internet/tv installs tools can occasionally walk away. He never once complained about the drills breaking though. You're not going to burn out the tool if your everyday use is 2-3 holes or screws per hour.

He's doing in-shop appliance repair now and I think he switched to DeWalt since then, but that may have just been because his whole shop is DeWalt and it's convenient to be able to borrow batteries from other people etc.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I think I’ve posted about it before, but I do like ryobi’s outdoor stuff. I have a battery mower and it does okay. String trimmer is great. Mostly bought the mower because i had the string trimmer.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

NomNomNom posted:

For the folks reading this: if you're not using ryobi tools in a professional capacity, they are likely fine for your intended use.

Personally I have a wall of 18v stuff and all of outdoor tools are 40v. I've only ever broken one tool (drill, attempting to mix 40lbs of mortar). I've built a shed and demolished a deck and renovated a bathroom and all my tools are going strong. I do a lot of hobby woodworking. I'd wager my tools have seen more use than 99% of homeowners. They're fine. And cheap(er).

I see these posts and I'm like am I just really mean to tools or am I getting like defective units or something. I look at a Ryobi tool and it falls apart into little pieces in use cases just like yours. Where are these good Ryobi products??

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

I see these posts and I'm like am I just really mean to tools or am I getting like defective units or something. I look at a Ryobi tool and it falls apart into little pieces in use cases just like yours. Where are these good Ryobi products??
Are you sure you're not buying "Riobi" products from local flea market?

I have a whole host of Ryobi battery products and do not have any issues. I have 2 drills, 2 impact drivers (one small boi and one 650lbft one for automotive use), sander, inflator, multitool, jigsaw that all get "DIY howmeowner"
levels of usage and they've always lasted I've never had one die. I love their sawzall, toss a 12TPI 12" blade from diablo and just go to town ripping poo poo out. I've taken out like 4 bushes 1 tree, and a deck with it, and couldn't be happier. Sometimes it overheats when I'm doing a long cut and stops for a moment, but then starts right back up.

Caveat: I do not own Ryobi corded tools so I can't tell if they are any good.. but value/performance wise I enjoy team green.

RE the guy doing installs vs home shop
I always see a lot of team green in contractor trucks because if they get dropped off a roof / "fogotten" in a crew members truck / left on site it's cheap as gently caress to replace.
Usually 1 man shows will show up with Milwakee / Dewalt but any crew that I've seen work usually has some neon green tools.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

tater_salad posted:

Are you sure you're not buying "Riobi" products from local flea market?

I have a whole host of Ryobi battery products and do not have any issues. I have 2 drills, 2 impact drivers (one small boi and one 650lbft one for automotive use), sander, inflator, multitool, jigsaw that all get "DIY howmeowner"
levels of usage and they've always lasted I've never had one die. I love their sawzall, toss a 12TPI 12" blade from diablo and just go to town ripping poo poo out. I've taken out like 4 bushes 1 tree, and a deck with it, and couldn't be happier. Sometimes it overheats when I'm doing a long cut and stops for a moment, but then starts right back up.

Caveat: I do not own Ryobi corded tools so I can't tell if they are any good.. but value/performance wise I enjoy team green.

RE the guy doing installs vs home shop
I always see a lot of team green in contractor trucks because if they get dropped off a roof / "fogotten" in a crew members truck / left on site it's cheap as gently caress to replace.
Usually 1 man shows will show up with Milwakee / Dewalt but any crew that I've seen work usually has some neon green tools.

Maybe it's the difference between their corded/battery. All of the tools I've burned up/exploded have been their corded tools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
But I will say, because of my experience I will never buy one of their battery products just on the fact they wasted hundreds of dollars of my money already.