Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've had a little bit of chicken plant math happen. I started with two, now I have three and really want a fourth.

Introducing my pink lemonade blueberry bush! When it fruits the blueberries will be pink! I haven't repotted it yet because I'm in the middle of moving and also just got the soil today. The FedEx jerks delayed my package for five days, but I'm not exactly sure what the spots on the leaves are indicating.

I think the fourth plant is gonna be a patio Meyer lemon tree or bush from the site Joburg posted. I don't know which would be more appropriate for my situation. I'm also gonna get another 13 gallon pot for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Anyone grow potatoes in grow bags/potato towers? Got a question: if you get a plant that wants to get super leggy and is putting out a lot of leaves all along the new growth...how aggressive should you be about trimming off leaves and mounding up soil? Some of the plants are kinda creeping along where there's a pretty well-defined "crown" or whatever you want to call it on a potato plant, and so it's easy to just kinda mound up soil around the bare stem and leave the top of the plant to do its thing. But a couple are coming in kinda vine-like, with leaves all along the length of the stem. I assume the lower leaves want to be trimmed off before mounding up soil around the stem, but is there a rule of thumb or whatever about how much to do at a time?

In other news, peppercorn flowers are starting to turn into immature peppercorns:

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

stumblebum posted:

are there any good resources/organizations that i can hook up with to learn about sustainable gardening and agriculture, particularly anything specific to the PNW/Oregon/Eugene? ideally not a group that preaches "sustainability" while using plastics and synthetic/imported fertilizers all over the place

OSU extension is the Oregon ag extension. They offer master gardener certs, and I know some folks involved with it are pretty eco minded.

Also, check into the tilth alliance. I always looked at Seattle Tilth, since they published one of my favorite gardening books, but there are others.

I can't totally speak to their true sustainability anymore, as it's been several years, but that would be my starting point

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

I'm going to need more evidence that this is a real dog.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Joburg posted:

You’ve discovered one reason people have kept cats and dogs throughout history. A rat terrier would solve your problem.

Or a Great Dane - Poodle. After a lot of digging she caught and killed the mole.

Truth, we've had yorkshire terriers in the back yard terrorizing pests for years, but our last one just passed earlier this year.

Lowes guy thinks it's squirrels, which is a fair point as we have lots them, I just always assumed they only ate nuts. He recommended Repels All repellent but over the last couple days it doesn't seem to have stopped it. Varmint even took a bite out of a pepper. Honestly not sure what do, trapping and relocating as many of them as I can seems the most reasonable option.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I think squirrels will eat just about anything. I saw this guy carrying a huge mushroom last month.

Doggo in her natural habitat.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I hate whitefly so much :negative:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So i ended up getting 5/8"x6"x6' fence pickets, cut them into 9" sections, cut the dog ears, and fastened them to a 1"x2" box frame with construction adhesive and 15ga nails. assembling the first two were a pain in the rear end but by the third one i had a good process going and finished all 8 in less than three hours, start to finish. ~$1/linear foot. Might paint them white to match the house, i dunno.

it was so easy and inexpensive that im considering doing the rest of my flower beds with it, and maybe pouring a 6"x"6 footing for it. to be determined ...

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

They look really nice but the chore hater in me keeps thinking about mowing around them

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

PokeJoe posted:

They look really nice but the chore hater in me keeps thinking about mowing around them

Also how the grass is definitely going to grow back inside through the open space in it. Still looks cooler than 90% of the cheap solutions people come up with.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Finally decided what tomato trellis system to go with.

Don’t mind the rest of my yard. We’re doing some work on it.

triwolf
May 9, 2008

niethan posted:

Tromboncini are so good. They're like zucchinis better cousin. The seeds are all in the tip so you get that really good and firm homogenous fruit body. It's the best.

This is true and they really are squash vine borer resistant. However, be warned: tromboncini grow so aggressively they will seek out and strangle anything else in your garden if you don't keep them in check. They put out a massive amount of vines, leaves and fruit and will laugh at any attempt to stake or trellis them. On the plus side I think they're superior for zucchini bread since the flesh is firmer and holds together better and, due to the long seedless neck, they make excellent zoodles.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jhet posted:

Also how the grass is definitely going to grow back inside through the open space in it. Still looks cooler than 90% of the cheap solutions people come up with.

true, it's not edging so much as a fence to keep folks from stepping in them as they walk past. i dont want them to get stepped on while they're still young and getting established

regarding the mowing, well, gotta pay the toll if you wanna rock n roll :mrgw:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

stumblebum posted:

are there any good resources/organizations that i can hook up with to learn about sustainable gardening and agriculture, particularly anything specific to the PNW/Oregon/Eugene? ideally not a group that preaches "sustainability" while using plastics and synthetic/imported fertilizers all over the place

Heck yeah! Dude you are in Oregon, tons of great permaculture resources there!

Oregon State University:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mwRAf3z9ag
https://open.oregonstate.edu/textbooks/free.htm

If you explore that guy's personal channel he has a bunch of useful videos for systems and designs
https://www.youtube.com/c/amillison/videos

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

Thanks for the corrections, all the pictures I saw online had these weird orange masses and whatnot. I took a bunch of cuttings, placed them in a tray full of well watered soil, put a humidity cover over that and slipped that back in the hotbed. I may get some more seeds going as well.

Yeah, this explains why I've never seen this issue before. Ugh.

Squash vine borers are the worst. This year I have given up trying to prevent them. I am just going to wait until July to plant and hope for a late summer/fall harvest. Supposedly the moths will be done laying eggs by then.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Peppers are finally planted!

This year's varieties: Bishop's crown, Alma paprika, Habanero sweet red, Chocolate ghost, Carolina reaper, Thunder mountain longhorn, Giant white scorpion, Thor's hammer, MA purple

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I’ve been slowly ripping out English ivy in front of our house and putting in various random semi shade natives. I guess I’m kind of going for a native woodland cottage garden. Last year I put in a few red columbines. They did pretty well but almost succumbed to powdery mildew so I wasn’t sure how well they’d come back this year. Guess I needn’t have worried.

Tallest one is around 3 feet.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

That Old Ganon posted:

The FedEx jerks delayed my package for five days, but I'm not exactly sure what the spots on the leaves are indicating.

The leaves that get the spots darken and die. Any idea on what it could be? They came out the FedEx box like this.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Tremors posted:

Peppers are finally planted!

This year's varieties: Bishop's crown, Alma paprika, Habanero sweet red, Chocolate ghost, Carolina reaper, Thunder mountain longhorn, Giant white scorpion, Thor's hammer, MA purple

Those all look like really good strong starts, that's a huge part of the battle with those plants. Looking forward to more pictures of them getting huge!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

That Old Ganon posted:

The leaves that get the spots darken and die. Any idea on what it could be? They came out the FedEx box like this.

Leaves start to die when they sit without sunlight for days. You’ll probably lose a few of them for no apparent reason, but the plant still looks fairly healthy. Let it drop some leaves and establish a root system and see how it does with recovery.

So long as it doesn’t continue to spread to new leaves then you’re as good to go as you can be when you try to grow blueberries.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There was a study done on soil quality in my neighborhood, and it turns out my yard has 27 parts per million of lead. Is that a dangerous amount, should I not eat the vegetables I grow in the garden?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've never looked into this before (so don't necessarily trust me with your health), but that seems to be a fairly normal level. https://ag.umass.edu/soil-plant-nutrient-testing-laboratory/fact-sheets/soil-lead-fact-sheet I would love to see the numbers from before leaded fuel :smith:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Gripweed posted:

There was a study done on soil quality in my neighborhood, and it turns out my yard has 27 parts per million of lead. Is that a dangerous amount, should I not eat the vegetables I grow in the garden?

That’s really very low.

https://extension.psu.edu/lead-in-residential-soils-sources-testing-and-reducing-exposure

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.

z0331 posted:

I’ve been slowly ripping out English ivy in front of our house and putting in various random semi shade natives. I guess I’m kind of going for a native woodland cottage garden. Last year I put in a few red columbines. They did pretty well but almost succumbed to powdery mildew so I wasn’t sure how well they’d come back this year. Guess I needn’t have worried.

Tallest one is around 3 feet.

Thanks to your post I've finally identified a 'wild' plant in my garden! It's been bugging me for a few months now and I couldn't find it. Thanks!

I'm gonna let it go to seed and hopefully next year it will fill out that part of the garden. It seems to like the conditions there.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Draadnagel posted:

Thanks to your post I've finally identified a 'wild' plant in my garden! It's been bugging me for a few months now and I couldn't find it. Thanks!

I'm gonna let it go to seed and hopefully next year it will fill out that part of the garden. It seems to like the conditions there.

Glad I could help! Each of those flowers releases a lot of seeds so if they like that part of your garden, it'll definitely fill in. We have several popping up.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

We have some of the same flower in pots on the driveway and it is a surprisingly resilient little plant. Our front bed is full of hostas across the whole thing or I would really consider just going wild with the columbine.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
It's springtime! It's past mothers day! It's above 50 at night and in the 80s during the day! What a beautiful time of year, let me just put all my plants in the ground! Wow they are so happy and thrivi--*record scratch*

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

taqueso posted:

I've never looked into this before (so don't necessarily trust me with your health), but that seems to be a fairly normal level. https://ag.umass.edu/soil-plant-nutrient-testing-laboratory/fact-sheets/soil-lead-fact-sheet I would love to see the numbers from before leaded fuel :smith:

drat, the letter we got made it sound super high. Thanks for the fact check!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

ixo posted:

It's springtime! It's past mothers day! It's above 50 at night and in the 80s during the day! What a beautiful time of year, let me just put all my plants in the ground! Wow they are so happy and thrivi--*record scratch*

We've had three false springs this year. My new next door neighbor is a California transplant who is running the community garden and it's completely died twice!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

ixo posted:

This might be the coolest May I can remember in D.C. My pepper plants are extremely unhappy.

A few days in the 90s coming up should do the trick.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 17, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

This might be the coolest May I can remember in D.C. My pepper plants are extremely unhappy.

A few days in the 90s coming up should do the trick.

We’ve had six weeks of days in the 50s ans nights in the 40s. A couple days with 60s, but that’s it. I had to move my peppers into a row cover because they got too big for inside and finally I just planted them and am still covering them. Two years in a row with this colder spring, just give me a few days of 70+ already.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I guess it could be worse. Just walked through the garden while lunch was heating up.

Sunflowers, marigolds, cilantro (!?), potatoes, thyme and one of four tomatoes are flourishing. Asparagus (crowns planted last year) is ferning like a motherfucker. Two of four tomatoes are doing OK, as are lettuce, carrots, poppies, pole beans. Peppers and the amish tomatoes look sad. Goddamn chipmunks or birds keep sabotaging my squash, but there are a couple seedlings going now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ixo posted:

lol it was above 90 this past weekend and a whole bunch of my azaleas got their leaves baked right off

lmao

lol

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
i know i kind of just breezed in and out with my questions but thank you to everyone who provided answers, it really helps me to get rec's from actual people without having to spin the wheel on google hoping to find things that actually exist

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

stumblebum posted:

spin the wheel on...things that actually exist
I spun the wheel and bought bogus seeds lmao

They were marketed as blue raspberry seeds but had the black raspberry scientific name, and I'm aware it'll be years until I find out. They also claim they're a west coast native and that confuses me further.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I assume you just bought himalayan blackberries

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I assume you just bought himalayan blackberries

For the love of God, do NOT sow them in-ground. Himalayan blackberries are the devil in photosynthesizing form. If you must, put them in a pot, then scrutinize them with fire.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

For the love of God, do NOT sow them in-ground. Himalayan blackberries are the devil in photosynthesizing form. If you must, put them in a pot, then scrutinize them with fire.

Maybe just toss them in the bin. They are the absolute worst. They're also invasive on the west coast and we very much hate them.

Get canes of something you know you want to put up with, you'll be much happier. We have lots of varieties of much less terrible berries on the west coast.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

That Old Ganon posted:

I spun the wheel and bought bogus seeds lmao

They were marketed as blue raspberry seeds but had the black raspberry scientific name, and I'm aware it'll be years until I find out. They also claim they're a west coast native and that confuses me further.

We've got black cap raspberries (Rubus leucodermis) as natives on the west coast. Maybe it's that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

sexy tiger boobs posted:

We've got black cap raspberries (Rubus leucodermis) as natives on the west coast. Maybe it's that?
I've never heard of growing raspberries from seed, on purpose anyway. If you buy raspberry canes, you can have some raspberries that same year, and a normal crop of raspberries the next. If you grow them from seed, you'll spend the first year (at least) growing a cane. Then you wait a growing season for that to fruit.There's also the issue of primocanes. Some varieties of raspberries fruit on sprouts that came up that year (primocanes). Other raspberries fruit on last year's sprouts. If you're starting seeds of the latter variety, it's going to be three years before you see any fruit. One for the seed to grow, one for canes to grow their first year, and another for the second-year canes to bear fruit.

To give you some idea of how much a hassle it is, seed companies will sell you asparagus seeds, which have the same problem of having to grow the plant before you can harvest anything a year later. They don't sell raspberry seeds. If it were practical to grow your own, they'd be selling them.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 18, 2022