Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brendan Rodgers posted:

There is body horror, but it's a more horrifying approach than your standard tentacles.

As we talked about earlier in the thread, thankfully GW/BL either explicitly or the writers implicitly, don’t let include sexual horror (even if some would claim it’s grimmdark). Could people even imagine how bad it would be if someone liked GRRM wrote Warhammer stories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

heart of darkness in 40k, the odyssey in 40k

when are we gonna have von clausewitz in 40k? what about the marquis du vauban? 40k sun tzu?

The Gaunt series is Sharpe. The Horus Heresy as Paradise Lost is my comedy option

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

when are we gonna have von clausewitz in 40k? what about the marquis du vauban? 40k sun tzu?

Whenever they think to publish the codex astartes as it’s own book I guess?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

0konner posted:

Whenever they think to publish the codex astartes as it’s own book I guess?

I remember from the 3rd Ed rulebook there was a lot of quotes from the Tactica Imperialis, another one of the Imperium's Big Books o' War.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

The Gaunt series is Sharpe. The Horus Heresy as Paradise Lost is my comedy option

Gaunt is definitely Sharpe. Ciaphas Cain is Flashman.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

tom lehrer posted:

Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes!
Remember why the good Lord made your eyes
So don't shade your eyes
But plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!
Only be sure always to call it please 'research'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXlfXirQF3A

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Ajaxify posted:

Gaunt is definitely Sharpe. Ciaphas Cain is Flashman.

It's funny that baseline Flashman is so horrific that the 40k counterpart pretty much has to be an all around nice dude.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Now I really want a 40k Aubrey-Maturin.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
YMMV with the Fevehari stories despite all the praise they get here. I read both Fire Caste and one of the Angels stories and found them boring and impenetrable.

He's not a bad writer (cf Thorpe, Kyme and Zou) but he's got a style which I feel is very much a matter of taste.

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...

Brendan Rodgers posted:

imagine someone buying Fire Caste thinking they are getting a book about Tau action figures when it's actually a psychological horror story about an Imperial Guard unit that leads into an exploration of Chaos and damnation.

This is me.

I liked it a lot even if it wasn't what I thought it was when I bought it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DaysBefore posted:

I guess I am mostly just thinking about Fehervari's stuff yeah lol. I saw his name a bunch from nerds who say he actually writes horror Warhammer well but I've also seen nerds describe Primarchs talking to each other as emotionally heartfelt so I'm hesitant to believe them. Haven't read any of his stuff yet so I think I'll correct that.

Nah he's legit great. Fehervari is probably my favourite BL author and he's definitely up there with San Abnett, ADB and Chris Wright in writing quality

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Z the IVth posted:

YMMV with the Fevehari stories despite all the praise they get here. I read both Fire Caste and one of the Angels stories and found them boring and impenetrable.

He's not a bad writer (cf Thorpe, Kyme and Zou) but he's got a style which I feel is very much a matter of taste.

Oh definitely, his style just happens to line up with my tastes so well that I love them

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It’s just heart of darkness in 40K, that’s it. I like fehervari and this was a good idea but let’s not pretend it’s not 100% Conrad start to finish

I've read Heart of Darkness, and some of Conrad's short stories, and I guess there is a connection in the setting of the jungle and the voyage down the river, the oppressiveness of environment, which is a part of one of the arcs in the book. But Fire Caste is not a book about colonialism, and Heart of Darkness is not a book about Chaos.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 14, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

kalthir posted:

they put in a few little notes about a horatio-hornblower-like in one of the cain books, didn't they? so something close might happen if mitchell wants it (and is able to execute, i guess)

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I've read Heart of Darkness, and some of Conrad's short stories, and I guess there is a connection in the setting of the jungle and the voyage down the river, the oppressiveness of environment, which is a part of one of the arcs in the book. But Fire Caste is not a book about colonialism, and Heart of Darkness is not a book about Chaos.

This is a fair point-the strongest themes in Fire Caste are about corruption and redemption, which I don’t remember being major parts of Heart of Darkness, which is (if I remember correctly) mostly about the contrast between the “civilized” and “savage”, and how they’re less different than the characters (and the reader) like to think.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

kalthir posted:

The two battlefleet gothic tie ins?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

von Metternich posted:

This is a fair point-the strongest themes in Fire Caste are about corruption and redemption, which I don’t remember being major parts of Heart of Darkness, which is (if I remember correctly) mostly about the contrast between the “civilized” and “savage”, and how they’re less different than the characters (and the reader) like to think.

Yeah Heart of Darkness is mostly about how colonialism and the civilising mission is a huge sham and utterly immoral and horrible, which makes sense because Conrad worked in the Belgian Congo before he wrote it so he'd definitely know smh. It's neat that at least some Europeans were awake to that stuff at the time, though Conrad was Polish and they probably had a pretty different perspective compared to other peoples.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The Night Lords trilogy is the real Heart of Darkness homage.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Shirkelton posted:

The Night Lords trilogy is the real Heart of Darkness homage.

If it's a joking reference to Konrad Curze's name, he barely appears in the NL trilogy.

If it's a serious post, I would be unironically interested in hearing where you see the homage.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

As we talked about earlier in the thread, thankfully GW/BL either explicitly or the writers implicitly, don’t let include sexual horror (even if some would claim it’s grimmdark). Could people even imagine how bad it would be if someone liked GRRM wrote Warhammer stories?

quote:

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
“We’re going in through its anus,” Biff whooped boisterously. Indeed. Indeed.
What else could that puckered sphincter be, in the white bony hull of the vast, gastropoidal alien
vessel?
The leviathan that loomed ahead seemed a cross between a nautilus and an omnivorous, spacefaring
snail. It was the length of a four-K asteroid, and almost as high where its shell spiralled
upward in a circuit of increasingly small osseous chambers. The shell was bleached chalky by aeons
of radiation.
Even as the armoured Fists, tightly packed into a stretched boarding torpedo, stared at the
forward view-screen in its mount of bronze bones, that sphincter pulsed.
It expelled a quick milky cloud, which the torpedo’s sensors assayed as consisting of bitter
liquid dregs, foul gas, and ashy debris—the fart of a leviathan…
“We’re ramming in through its arse!” Indeed.
As were other Fist-packed torpedoes, aimed at other orifices where the alien hull might prove
vulnerable…

quote:

A coccyx of bleached bone jutted into space, bearing the sphincter at its tip like a quartet of
triangular haemorrhoids clutched within bands of livid muscle. Where the heads of these scarlet
protuberances touched, a tiny hole still puffed acidic discharge.
The nose of the torpedo impacted rupturingly in that meatus, wrenching its tissue open, m
burrowing deeper convulsively with thrusts of its jets as the Fists clung to stanchions.
The torpedo rocked as a shaped charge on the nose cone erupted, blasting a passageway ahead.
Swiftly the spring-loaded cone itself petalled open, becoming a fourfold hatch pressing fiercely
against the inner anal walls in the manner of a surgical dilator.

LOL look how far we've come

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Waroduce posted:

Of course the Fists would penetrate the anus

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sounds like you need a painglove session.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/15/sunday-preview-sylvaneth-and-skaven-clash-in-next-weeks-pre-orders/

Godsbane goes up for pre-order next weekend if someone is looking for AoS fiction. And if you missed out some of the older HH books, a couple of them goes up for made to order. Although none of them seem to be the ones everyone likes.
And two of them are Nick Kyme books too.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Waroduce posted:

I wanna go back.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cooked Auto posted:

Sounds like you need a painglove session.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/15/sunday-preview-sylvaneth-and-skaven-clash-in-next-weeks-pre-orders/

Godsbane goes up for pre-order next weekend if someone is looking for AoS fiction. And if you missed out some of the older HH books, a couple of them goes up for made to order. Although none of them seem to be the ones everyone likes.
And two of them are Nick Kyme books too.

Godsbane sounds super interesting to me so picking it up for sure.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Maybe when people compare Fire Caste to Heart of Darkness they mean Apocalypse Now which is an adaptation that adds a lot of military themes and has a protagonist much more like Commissar Iverson.

But that's only one of the arcs in the book and the book and series are full of movie references, I think my favourite part of the Dark Coil might be a reference to The Fly.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 15, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Maybe when people compare Fire Caste to Heart of Darkness they mean Apocalypse Now which is an adaptation that adds a lot of military themes and has a protagonist much more like Commissar Iverson.

But that's only one of the arcs in the book and the book and series are full of movie references, I think my favourite part of the Dark Coil might be a reference to The Fly.

The entire book just reeeeeeks of Vietnam, imo.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

DaysBefore posted:

The Warhammer Horror stuff is good yeah? Because when it comes to Warhammer body horror and atrocities I'm entirely numb. Reading passages about superhumans literally eating babies like 'heh that's kinda wacky'. But I am super interested if they finally managed to hire someone who makes all this stuff, you know, horrifying again.

There's a great story in one of the anthologies called Into Dark Water which I really loved. Wonderfully creepy. Dips into body horror, but is more of an existential horror thing.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
If the last Horus Heresy novel I read was Betrayer, can I safely skip ahead to Master of Mankind or are any of the intervening books non-optional?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

MMAgCh posted:

If the last Horus Heresy novel I read was Betrayer, can I safely skip ahead to Master of Mankind or are any of the intervening books non-optional?

I only read the very first book and also Legion, then skipped straight to Master of Mankind. I don’t feel like I missed anything important.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Are there corporations in Wh40k?

I know there is some level of capitalism at the individual level, people own shops or businesses or whatever.

It seems like goods produced on large scale are produced under the auspices of the state, either directly or through some form of quota system.

Phrases like "subsector trade" are often used in WH40k but is most Interstellar trade operated through the Administratum and its agents? Or is there some sort of commercial fleet?

If it is the latter I guess that implies the existence of multi-planetary commercial entities.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Are there corporations in Wh40k?

I know there is some level of capitalism at the individual level, people own shops or businesses or whatever.

It seems like goods produced on large scale are produced under the auspices of the state, either directly or through some form of quota system.

Phrases like "subsector trade" are often used in WH40k but is most Interstellar trade operated through the Administratum and its agents? Or is there some sort of commercial fleet?

If it is the latter I guess that implies the existence of multi-planetary commercial entities.

Yes, but large mercantile concerns are often the property of noble houses. Rogue Traders are, in effect, chartered corporations.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

It’s pre-capitalist, or at the least very early capitalist. The trade elements of 40k always seemed to me to be less 20th or even 18th century trade and much more 13th-15th, Hanse rather than India.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Navigator Houses also have their own little trading concerns, since they own their own small fleets for shipping navigators around to where they are needed etc and it's implied in Rites of Passage that they have a lot of "nobody look in Cargo Bay 5" kinds of deals with Rogue Traders for guiding their ships etc.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

yeah what makes the imperium distinctly pre-capitalist is that capital is not commodified - it’s held by mercantile and noble houses, not traded on the open market. in necropolis the right to import and sell oil, for instance, is held by the Worlin guild, and the evil profiteer who keeps the oil pipe open and lets the bad guys infiltrate through it is just a mid level guild functionary.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lenoon posted:

It’s pre-capitalist, or at the least very early capitalist. The trade elements of 40k always seemed to me to be less 20th or even 18th century trade and much more 13th-15th, Hanse rather than India.

this. though i think it depends on the system. like big giant advanced cyberpunk type corps and poo poo exist its just all nitch stuff or system/sector sized, not galactic scale. no Galactic wide trade federation or cyberpunk type zaibatsus or amzon type stuff.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 17, 2022

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The thing to remember is that the imperium cares about reliable control. They want a single person or a family at the most who an inquisitor can show up to threaten, not a vast faceless corporate hydra that answers to The Shareholders and is just going to be taken over by the Alpha Legion anyway.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I'm sure it's different from planet to planet and system to system.
Some planets are techno-feudal hellholes and some are corpo-fascist hellholes. There's always a governor that the empire controls and there's always an overburdening tithe that needs to be met.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Bucnasti posted:

I'm sure it's different from planet to planet and system to system.
Some planets are techno-feudal hellholes and some are corpo-fascist hellholes. There's always a governor that the empire controls and there's always an overburdening tithe that needs to be met.

The Warhammer Crime planet seems to be the latter

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

As long as the tithes are being paid I don't see why the Imperium would care if the guy responsible for paying up is called a CEO instead of a Lord-Governor or something. No reason why you can't have a corporate hell planet that is also a centralised power, I mean, that's just a monopoly.

In theory there is every kind of planet in the Imperium, we just see the ones that are the most hosed up.

A planet like Cadia or Armageddon will have much tighter control over it than a random agri-world that's never had any problems and keeps paying up.

On an interstellar level yeah you gotta go through the Rogue Traders and Navigators etc but there will be plenty of smuggling, and I thought space travel was still possible without a navigator just super risky?

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
The Eisenhorn series shows the characters using apparently civilian-made products with brand recognition. His gun is called something like the Hessenbok 3400 and a city issues its enforcers with Hecutors produced by a joint private venture between two houses. There's also a car called the Bergman presumably made by private enterprise.