Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

precision posted:

the VO was not part of the original cut, and i feel really sorry for anyone who watched it without having someone tell them to mute the voiceover

i was lucky enough to see it in the theater and i'm like 99.9999% sure the VO wasn't in the cut i saw, because all the twists were deffo big surprises

You're definitely wrong about that. Theatrical version had the voice over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

You should let them give it to me

Move to Los Angeles and become an assistant editor. It's crap pay for a couple months and then you friggin have it made doing whatever the hell you want whenever the hell you want.

My editor friends are the most independent people I know they're like electricians always in demand and raking in so much money they don't really care about chasing more. They work really hard and then take a personal sabbatical for two months in Costa Rica, ignoring the begs and pleads of industry people for their time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was there for 2 weeks and almost went broke because y’all charge insane prices for everything lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

You're definitely wrong about that. Theatrical version had the voice over.

i think i must have not seen it in the theater at all, then

oh my god i'm stupid. i'm thinking of the fact that i saw it in the theater years later at a festival. haha never mind.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I don't remember the twists being explained early in a voiceover during the original run. I mean, the spaceship reveal upon William Hurt's death was shocking.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
talking of that director, i rewatched The Crow yesterday and it holds up way better than expected, while still being purestrain 90s. but like, the actual script is fabulous

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Move to Los Angeles and become an assistant editor. It's crap pay for a couple months and then you friggin have it made doing whatever the hell you want whenever the hell you want.

My editor friends are the most independent people I know they're like electricians always in demand and raking in so much money they don't really care about chasing more. They work really hard and then take a personal sabbatical for two months in Costa Rica, ignoring the begs and pleads of industry people for their time.

Can confirm that LA, NY and Vancouver are almost totally tapped of assistant editor & VFX labor right now. If you know what you're doing and have a few decent credits you can pretty much set your rate.

precision posted:

talking of that director, i rewatched The Crow yesterday and it holds up way better than expected, while still being purestrain 90s. but like, the actual script is fabulous

It's amazing to me that Alex Proyas made two amazing films back-to-back, then followed up with three straight cinematic abortions (I'm not including Garage Days because no one has actually seen it, not even me).

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 17, 2022

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Dillbag posted:

(I'm not including Garage Days because no one has actually seen it, not even me).

hello I am the one person who has seen Garage Days

its ok

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wizchine posted:

I don't remember the twists being explained early in a voiceover during the original run. I mean, the spaceship reveal upon William Hurt's death was shocking.

It could be that you came in a couple of minutes late. When I showed the original cut to friends for the first time I actually had them leave the room so I could FF to the bathroom scene without them seeing anything either. And lo, they were duly surprised - but anyone who didn't watch the Directors Cut first wasn't.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Hard pass. Stop greenlighting Predator and Alien projects. The franchises are dead forever. Imagine if some top level decision maker at 20th Century had set down this simple rule fifteen years ago. They would have saved the studio well over a billion dollars...

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I hope Ridley Scott merges his next alien/blade runner project with predator lore. I hope he explicitly states in an interview that this was always his vision.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Aliens explicitly references Tyrell Corporation on screen in Dallas's bio. That's probably the best you're gonna get for franchises owned by different studios. Also I could imagine Ridley rolling his eyes hard about Predator being connected at all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is Ridley interested in doing more Alien stuff? Fede Alvarez is doing a new movie and then there's that Noah Hawley TV thing, but I don't think Ridley is involved with either of them outside of producing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Dick Jones posted:

Hard pass. Stop greenlighting Predator and Alien projects. The franchises are dead forever. Imagine if some top level decision maker at 20th Century had set down this simple rule fifteen years ago. They would have saved the studio well over a billion dollars...

Alien and Predator movies make money. Just not a lot of it based on their budgeting. Predators was actually a nice haul considering both.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Is Ridley interested in doing more Alien stuff? Fede Alvarez is doing a new movie and then there's that Noah Hawley TV thing, but I don't think Ridley is involved with either of them outside of producing.

Pretty sure Ridley is an EP on the show.

I'm way more interested to see what Ridley wants to do with his Amazon Blade Runner TV show at this point. That's my "probably not actually going to happen due to creative differences but I'll be at maximum hype before then" dream show currently.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well I said producing. Aren't EPs even less involved than regular producers or do I have that backwards

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Depends on the EP and production. It's a title that can mean a lot or very little. George Lucas was the Executive Producer on Empire and Jedi, but Steven Spielberg was Executive Producer on Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Dillbag posted:

It's amazing to me that Alex Proyas made two amazing films back-to-back, then followed up with three straight cinematic abortions (I'm not including Garage Days because no one has actually seen it, not even me).

What three films were canceled?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Alien and Predator movies make money. Just not a lot of it based on their budgeting. Predators was actually a nice haul considering both.

Also people in general think of movies making money based on box office.

They don't really report numbers for home entertainment and licensing and packaging a series together and rotating it through various countries for the next three decades.

That's why MGM is still a thing.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Aliens explicitly references Tyrell Corporation on screen in Dallas's bio. That's probably the best you're gonna get for franchises owned by different studios. Also I could imagine Ridley rolling his eyes hard about Predator being connected at all.

Tyrell’s flesh abomination competitors to Weyland’s androids were also mentioned in some of the Prometheus side content and Ridley has said he imagined both films took place in the same world. But yeah, some Easter eggs are as much as we’ll get and Ridley surely doesn’t care about a franchise he didn’t work on being tied in.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

But how does Paul W.S. Anderson's masterpiece Soldier fit in? I forget if it was a deleted scene, but Kurt Russell's character is listed as having fought at the battles of the Tannhäuser Gate and the Shoulder of Orion. I can't want to see PWSA's Blade Runner threequel!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dillbag posted:

But how does Paul W.S. Anderson's masterpiece Soldier fit in? I forget if it was a deleted scene, but Kurt Russell's character is listed as having fought at the battles of the Tannhäuser Gate and the Shoulder of Orion. I can't want to see PWSA's Blade Runner threequel!

I always thought this was the funniest attempt at a shared universe. When it happened, I remember thinking that a reporter would be out of their loving minds to ask Ridley Scott what he thought about it. I imagine if someone ever did, the response would be something like, "...what movie are you even talking about?"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dillbag posted:

There's a new Blade Runner tabletop RPG coming out that's going to marry all the books, comics, games, early drafts etc. into a unified "canon." The same company did it for Alien recently and those books were filled with all sorts of "legally distinct" winks to related properties including Blade Runner. In one interview I listened to, the writer of the BR RPG more or less that things like Soldier are going to be referenced in the same way. When asked if the two RPGs were compatible together, he cheekily danced around the answer implying that while the RPG makers clearly believe so, they can't officially acknowledge it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

GoldStandardConure posted:

hello I am the one person who has seen Garage Days

its ok

*bursts through door, stumbling and falling as my pants fall down and get tangled around my legs* more like Garbage Days!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dick Jones posted:

I’m gonna fight you irl with all my alien and predator merch as weapons

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, bummer about the Predator franchise but Prometheus and Covenant are both varying shades of excellent and David is one of the best characters in science-fiction in decades. The only truly bad Alien franchise entries are the AVP movies so they don't even really count. Resurrection is at least a fascinating failure. Both of the upcoming projects sound promising, and we were spared Blomkamp's Alien 3 redo. So as far as I'm concerned, the Alien franchise is doing great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah!

Which is odd because for me I’d think the Predator would be a much easier franchise to get right but I don’t know.

I like Predators but the more I watch it the less it holds up. But opening day it was a fun crowd pleaser. It’s just way too derivative. The Predator is just both too bland and too weird to work. Also the reshoots and cuts late in the game really make it feel really janky and amateur.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

This looks adorable and sweet and funny and I can literally see it only working so well because it's Emma Thompson in the role.

Fake edit: holy poo poo she looks amazing for 63 years old

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah!

Which is odd because for me I’d think the Predator would be a much easier franchise to get right but I don’t know.

I like Predators but the more I watch it the less it holds up. But opening day it was a fun crowd pleaser. It’s just way too derivative. The Predator is just both too bland and too weird to work. Also the reshoots and cuts late in the game really make it feel really janky and amateur.

Predators is not terrible, but the dumbest part was encountering Fat Morpheus, who has been hiding and surviving for 10 planetary cycles or whatever, yet his BMI is still pushing 30. Was the spaceship he was hiding on filled with alien Twinkies?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

he’s been eating all the people he kills!

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Dillbag posted:

Predators is not terrible, but the dumbest part was encountering Fat Morpheus, who has been hiding and surviving for 10 planetary cycles or whatever, yet his BMI is still pushing 30. Was the spaceship he was hiding on filled with alien Twinkies?

They’d been there like a day and a half before the next cycle started, so he went nuts in about two weeks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dillbag posted:

Can confirm that LA, NY and Vancouver are almost totally tapped of assistant editor & VFX labor right now. If you know what you're doing and have a few decent credits you can pretty much set your rate.

and then made Gods of Egypt, which is incredibly stupid but pretty entertaining

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, bummer about the Predator franchise but Prometheus and Covenant are both varying shades of excellent and David is one of the best characters in science-fiction in decades. The only truly bad Alien franchise entries are the AVP movies so they don't even really count. Resurrection is at least a fascinating failure. Both of the upcoming projects sound promising, and we were spared Blomkamp's Alien 3 redo. So as far as I'm concerned, the Alien franchise is doing great.

I would’ve preferred a covenant sequel to wrap up the David storyline, but I’m just glad they got someone else other than Neill Blomhack to do another Alien movie, at least.

And the new Predator trailer is dope. gently caress. :stare:

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Shageletic posted:

OK they weren't flops, but the downward trend in metascores is probably the reason Prey isn't a theatrical release. Maybe the stars will align and Prey will be the Logan of the Predator franchise but I'm expecting another half-baked story that struggles with tone, weight, and the 3rd act.

feedmyleg posted:

I think the Alien series has hit a creative dead-end. Like Jurassic Park, each new entry keeps recycling the original scenario: overconfident humans fail to take common sense precautions, a deadly life form takes advantage of this, poo poo hits the fan, and the remaining humans trip over their own dicks trying to fight back against the threat. David started out as a potentially interesting character but after two movies we still don't know why he's doing what he's doing. His motivation seems to be "I'm gonna mess with poo poo and cause mass death". Hopefully they mothball the Alien movies for the foreseeable future while someone figures out a compelling direction to take the storyline.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's amazing how little clout a theatrical release has left.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Dick Jones posted:

OK they weren't flops, but the downward trend in metascores is probably the reason Prey isn't a theatrical release. Maybe the stars will align and Prey will be the Logan of the Predator franchise but I'm expecting another half-baked story that struggles with tone, weight, and the 3rd act.

I think the Alien series has hit a creative dead-end. Like Jurassic Park, each new entry keeps recycling the original scenario: overconfident humans fail to take common sense precautions, a deadly life form takes advantage of this, poo poo hits the fan, and the remaining humans trip over their own dicks trying to fight back against the threat. David started out as a potentially interesting character but after two movies we still don't know why he's doing what he's doing. His motivation seems to be "I'm gonna mess with poo poo and cause mass death". Hopefully they mothball the Alien movies for the foreseeable future while someone figures out a compelling direction to take the storyline.

I think we know why, he's pissed at his creators for being unworthy of him.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The more they explain about the xenomorphs the less I enjoy it. Would prefer them to be space parasites that every civilization eventually bumbles their way into.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gim2kprjL50

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

I approve of anything that gives Tatiana Maslany work. It looks promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I pointed it out in the MCU TV thread, but I think it's funny that they used the same music that was just in the final Sonic 2 trailer.