Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

That's so disappointing about Dead Silence, I absolutely love the (fairly small?) subgenre of "haunted spaceship" horror sci-fi, but there's not a whole lot of books that do it well. I might try reading it even knowing it's not great, lol. I feel like the last book in that genre that I enjoyed was Ship of Fools, and that's been out for ages at this point. Obscura was also in a similar vein but that one fell pretty flat for me.

Re: Where the Drowned Girls Go, for some reason all kinds of Seanan McGuire/Mira Grant stuff that is pretty clearly not horror ends up on horror novel lists all the time. I don't know why, I'm guessing it's like you said, there's just enough horror flavor or themes that they get included. :shrug:

I haven't read All the White Spaces, but on the subject of Antarctic horror, if you haven't read Michelle Paver's Dark Matter it is excellent. That goes for everyone in the thread, really, it's probably one of the better or best horror novels I've read in the last couple of years. Nothing groundbreaking, just solid and tense and entertaining. It's not even new, I think it came out in the early 2010s, but for whatever reason I never really heard anything about it until the last couple of years.

Have you tried The Last Astronaut? Not a bad haunted spaceship story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

MockingQuantum posted:

I haven't read All the White Spaces, but on the subject of Antarctic horror, if you haven't read Michelle Paver's Dark Matter it is excellent. That goes for everyone in the thread, really, it's probably one of the better or best horror novels I've read in the last couple of years. Nothing groundbreaking, just solid and tense and entertaining. It's not even new, I think it came out in the early 2010s, but for whatever reason I never really heard anything about it until the last couple of years.

Thanks for the rec, that looks right up my alley! I also saw she has a horror book called Thin Air that's a Himalaya climbing expedition ghost story, and I went ahead and picked that up too. I think the only other mountaineering ghost story I've read so far is The White Road by Sarah Lotz, which also has some great creepy caving sequences. (I love caving horror too, but it seems hard to come by!)

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Flaggy posted:

Have you tried The Last Astronaut? Not a bad haunted spaceship story.

I really wanted to like this one cos I love the idea of spaceship-horror and also haven't found anything that's lived up to 'Ship of Fools' since reading it 10 years ago, but I couldn't finish The Last Astronaut. It felt like every character had been given a single driving motive, and that they would make whatever decision no matter how stupid so long as it fit with that motive. By the halfway point I was asking 'why would you do that' so frequently I just couldn't keep going.

Looking forward to giving 'All the White Spaces' a shot as I love arctic exploration/horror and have already read Dark Matter and The Terror.

I also recently finished Revelator which I loved, Southern Gods which was fine but not great, and Winterset Hollow which is more dark fantasy than horror maybe? Thought it was great though.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Orphans of Bliss, an anthology of addiction horror came out recently.

It's the third in the series. The first was not great. The second was fantastic. So this final one should be good if the pattern sticks. Any other fellow addicts that like to read about addiction horror?

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

escape artist posted:

Orphans of Bliss, an anthology of addiction horror came out recently.

It's the third in the series. The first was not great. The second was fantastic. So this final one should be good if the pattern sticks. Any other fellow addicts that like to read about addiction horror?

I am an addict and I cannot imagine something that would please me less to read.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Got Last Exit from the library, and according to my ereader it'll take about 17hrs to read, and I have it for 18 days :mildpanic:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm totally out of the loop so I'm not sure what shouldn't be missed or has just come out, but this seems like a useful list: https://tornightfire.com/all-the-horror-books-were-excited-about-in-2022/

It's from Nightfire (Tor's horror-ish imprint) but the majority of books on the list aren't published by Nightfire, and they state clearly which ones are from them, which is cool.

Does Nightfire offer free ebooks like Tor proper does every month?

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I could see them doing that in the future, but the imprint only just launched so they don't have a huge backlog to do the free ebook thing with yet. (At least with regular Tor, it seems like most of those free giveaways have been stuff like "book 3 in this series comes out in a few months, so here's a free copy of book 1 so get you interested and buy the other two!")

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah they haven't mentioned anything about a book club thing but I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a thing. I could see it being even better suited to Nightfire, given how many one-shot horror short stories and novellas there are on Amazon. That said, I have no idea how well (or not) those do, I know I've bought a good handful over the years and found new authors that way. I know I have a handful of free ebooks from Tor that are four novellas packaged together, like "Asian Diaspora Sci-Fi" and "New Voices in Cosmic Horror" or whatever, and that format seems even more suited to Nightfire.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
It's more "dark fairy tale thriller" than horror, but the horror groups on Facebook have been fishing about it so...

You ever read a book and, even before you finish it, you already know it's going to rank among your favorites of all time? I just binged Winterset Hollow over the course of 2 days and I can't believe how good it was.

I'm shocked that this is the only book Jonathan Edward Durham has published because the prose is incredible.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Count Thrashula posted:

It's more "dark fairy tale thriller" than horror, but the horror groups on Facebook have been fishing about it so...

You ever read a book and, even before you finish it, you already know it's going to rank among your favorites of all time? I just binged Winterset Hollow over the course of 2 days and I can't believe how good it was.

I'm shocked that this is the only book Jonathan Edward Durham has published because the prose is incredible.

Got an elevator pitch?

I just looked at the blurb on Amazon and it's not exactly a great pitch, but a lot of those are terrible so it's not super meaningful especially because it doesn't describe the tone or action in any specifics. It just gave me the idea that it's Redwall meets Midsommar, which I'm assuming is inaccurate so I'm happy to hear more.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
A group of friends who are big fans of this book (sort of a watership down/redwall type of thing) go to visit the home of the author since one of them got an offer to come on a tour, but when they get there they find out that the story in the book is more real than they imagined and much darker than they know it to be, and... Yeah honestly midsommar isn't the worst comparison.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Count Thrashula posted:

A group of friends who are big fans of this book (sort of a watership down/redwall type of thing) go to visit the home of the author since one of them got an offer to come on a tour, but when they get there they find out that the story in the book is more real than they imagined and much darker than they know it to be, and... Yeah honestly midsommar isn't the worst comparison.

I said that as a joke like it was a pickles and peanut butter combo, but actually fantasy rodent story turned dark fantasy with horror elements could kind of be my jam.

Who am I kidding, my To Read pile is getting anemic and I might need to 5-6 books to go at the drop of a hat these days.

Sold.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Finished up Phantoms by Dean Koontz over the weekend.

I thought it started off strong, but lost it's way halfway through with redundancies, extraneous subplots that don't add much to the story or world or characters, and what felt like the author trying to figure out what the actual monster in this book was going to be.

It's an interesting homage to Lovecraft in many ways. Not just the amorphous Eldritch Horror that is the books "villain", but in the prose, the small town setting, the Learned Protagonist(s) observing things and spouting long passages of theories, even the prosaic fake-outs that Lovecraft loved ("They had no way of ever knowing it, but, in fact, that very moment would be the last that one of them would be a living creature..."). It's one of the few Lovecraft-inspired stories that reads like a Lovecraft story, but also realizes that modern audiences expect actions and resolutions and not just dream logic and characters musing on how insane they've become.

I was surprised by the conservative streak through-out the book? Cops are good guys and heroes (except for the one cop who is bad, which we know because he has aspirations to sexually assault an underage girl), the government is super helpful and believes the heroes, a product of capitalism used for environmental recovery is the secret weapon against the villain... Even more bizarre misplaced fear occurs, like how bikers are coded as evil (Satanists, in fact), and they boast about rape and murder while they're getting high on marijuana; marijuana is, in multiple passages, referred to as a dangerous gateway drug that leads characters to use PCP or other hard substances (which has been proven false, and, in fact, is the opposite; marijuana use cuts back on harder substance abuse) or murder. Of the four sets of villainous characters, two of them are rapists and there's a bizarre section about bikers kidnapping girls for gangbangs. Just really strange stuff, Dean.

The book concludes with a lot of passages of "Good vs. Evil", which feels incredibly shoe-horned and also, uh, irrelevant. There's this idea that the creature at the heart of the novel is Pure Evil, but it's also a reflection of Mankind's Penchant For Evil, but that also means there's Pure Good and possibly guidance from an Almighty. Except a wolf isn't evil for killing a deer, a snake isn't evil for killing a rat, a dog isn't evil for killing a bunny. Arrogance, narcissism and egotism isn't inherently evil, even if an Eldritch abomination is the one feeling them; they're human mental constructs we've built out of the belief that we're the best and smartest species on the planet. So the novel manages to posit that "Maybe this creature is only 'evil' because it learned it from humanity?" but then concludes that there's this binary of Good/Evil, which doesn't really make sense with actual human behavior, and how nature works. (Are humans Evil for factory farming? Yes. But does that mean we are ONLY Evil? No. etc.)

It was a bit too long in the tooth. The characters bleeded together. The finale felt a little forced and too convenient. But you know what? It was fun and memorable.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Franchescanado posted:

I was surprised by the conservative streak through-out the book? Cops are good guys and heroes (except for the one cop who is bad, which we know because he has aspirations to sexually assault an underage girl), the government is super helpful and believes the heroes, a product of capitalism used for environmental recovery is the secret weapon against the villain... Even more bizarre misplaced fear occurs, like how bikers are coded as evil (Satanists, in fact), and they boast about rape and murder while they're getting high on marijuana; marijuana is, in multiple passages, referred to as a dangerous gateway drug that leads characters to use PCP or other hard substances (which has been proven false, and, in fact, is the opposite; marijuana use cuts back on harder substance abuse) or murder. Of the four sets of villainous characters, two of them are rapists and there's a bizarre section about bikers kidnapping girls for gangbangs. Just really strange stuff, Dean.

Please read 77 Shadow Street

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Count Thrashula posted:

Isn't that just Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Count Thrashula posted:

Ok you sold me and i just ordered this. Also Watership Down is one of my all-time favorite books and I love Midsommar.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Just started myself. It's pretty hosed up in the best way through 5 chapters. Pretty sure I know where everything is heading though...

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Franchescanado posted:

Finished up Phantoms by Dean Koontz over the weekend.

I thought it started off strong, but lost it's way halfway through with redundancies, extraneous subplots that don't add much to the story or world or characters, and what felt like the author trying to figure out what the actual monster in this book was going to be.

It's an interesting homage to Lovecraft in many ways. Not just the amorphous Eldritch Horror that is the books "villain", but in the prose, the small town setting, the Learned Protagonist(s) observing things and spouting long passages of theories, even the prosaic fake-outs that Lovecraft loved ("They had no way of ever knowing it, but, in fact, that very moment would be the last that one of them would be a living creature..."). It's one of the few Lovecraft-inspired stories that reads like a Lovecraft story, but also realizes that modern audiences expect actions and resolutions and not just dream logic and characters musing on how insane they've become.

The book concludes with a lot of passages of "Good vs. Evil", which feels incredibly shoe-horned and also, uh, irrelevant. There's this idea that the creature at the heart of the novel is Pure Evil, but it's also a reflection of Mankind's Penchant For Evil, but that also means there's Pure Good and possibly guidance from an Almighty. Except a wolf isn't evil for killing a deer, a snake isn't evil for killing a rat, a dog isn't evil for killing a bunny. Arrogance, narcissism and egotism isn't inherently evil, even if an Eldritch abomination is the one feeling them; they're human mental constructs we've built out of the belief that we're the best and smartest species on the planet. So the novel manages to posit that "Maybe this creature is only 'evil' because it learned it from humanity?" but then concludes that there's this binary of Good/Evil, which doesn't really make sense with actual human behavior, and how nature works. (Are humans Evil for factory farming? Yes. But does that mean we are ONLY Evil? No. etc.)

It was a bit too long in the tooth. The characters bleeded together. The finale felt a little forced and too convenient. But you know what? It was fun and memorable.

now you need to watch the movie

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

hopterque posted:

now you need to watch the movie

I'm probably going to, since CineD's doing the May Horror Challenge.

I like how it's a shapeshifting monster, so Koontz gets to ask, "What's super scary? I know! Moths! Spiders! Worms! Mice!" The thing turns into spiders and worms over a dozen times.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

That movie has the best stupid jump scare in the history of cinema.

They do the classic stupid “open the cupboard but a cat jumps out” fake “scare”, but it’s a flushing toilet. I have no idea how anyone let that happen.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Since we're on the subject, which Koontz books are actually worth reading if you're not already a Koontz fan? My in-laws really pushed me to read some Koontz a few years back since they knew I was a big King fan and I only read one, but it was dumb enough that I had very little desire to read any more. I'm sure there are some that are probably worth reading though, right?

I can't remember for certain because it's been a few years, but I think the one I read was The Face, and it was goofy and bad and nonsensical in a way that felt like it was probably just shat out for a paycheck, which I imagine is a lot of Koontz books. I don't know how you don't poo poo out a few books when you've written 100+ or whatever he's at now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MockingQuantum posted:

Since we're on the subject, which Koontz books are actually worth reading if you're not already a Koontz fan? My in-laws really pushed me to read some Koontz a few years back since they knew I was a big King fan and I only read one, but it was dumb enough that I had very little desire to read any more. I'm sure there are some that are probably worth reading though, right?

The Face of Fear might be the one you read, and it's one of the better ones. Retired mountaineer being pursued through a skyscraper by a serial killer - ring a bell?

Beyond that the only Koontz that stuck with me was Twilight Eyes, which is set in and around a carnival in the early 60s and was a big influence on They Live.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

The Face of Fear might be the one you read, and it's one of the better ones. Retired mountaineer being pursued through a skyscraper by a serial killer - ring a bell?

Beyond that the only Koontz that stuck with me was Twilight Eyes, which is set in and around a carnival in the early 60s and was a big influence on They Live.

I thought you liked The Funhouse, his novelization from the Hooper film? I almost grabbed that, but the differences seem way too drastic and concentrating on weird things that seem out of place from the movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Franchescanado posted:

I thought you liked The Funhouse, his novelization from the Hooper film?

Oh, no, and neither does he. Koontz quite bluntly states in the preface that he did it for the money and that there was so little actual plot in the movie that he basically ended up getting paid adaptation rates to write an original novel.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MockingQuantum posted:

Since we're on the subject, which Koontz books are actually worth reading if you're not already a Koontz fan?

Phantoms, obviously :v:

The two Moonlight Bay books are pretty good from what I recall, though at this point it is extremely unlikely he'll write the third.

I also have a soft spot for the Odd Thomas books, but the only one I'd call good is probably Odd Apocalypse.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

MockingQuantum posted:

I can't remember for certain because it's been a few years, but I think the one I read was The Face, and it was goofy and bad and nonsensical in a way that felt like it was probably just shat out for a paycheck, which I imagine is a lot of Koontz books. I don't know how you don't poo poo out a few books when you've written 100+ or whatever he's at now.

I liked Odd Thomas, By The Light of the Moon is good and pretty different from his normal stuff, and I'd say Intensity is probably his best one.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

Phantoms, obviously :v:

The two Moonlight Bay books are pretty good from what I recall, though at this point it is extremely unlikely he'll write the third.

I also have a soft spot for the Odd Thomas books, but the only one I'd call good is probably Odd Apocalypse.

I did pick Phantoms because it's a top 5 on every "Best Koontz Novels", alongside Watchers, Strangers, Demon Seed.

Watchers is the most recommended.

edit: I think I had Whispers recommended to me years ago by someone who said it was his scariest book, when they were trying to convince me to give Koontz another shot after Velocity.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 17, 2022

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Jedit posted:

Nope, I definitely read The Face. Something about a famous actor (who is improbably referred to, by the general public, as "The Face") getting sent these black boxes with riddles in the mail and there's some sort of serial killer coming after The Face, and his son Frick gets kidnapped or something. The main character is the The Face's head of security, and also his childhood friend comes back as a ghost that isn't a ghost, just a person who didn't actually die when everyone thought he did. But the not-dead friend is also possessed by a demon.

I can almost guarantee that even my very vague recollections of the book I've barfed out here still make more sense than the book did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

Lightning, but also I wasn't allowed to read it because it had cusses in it so that may have contributed to my enjoyment as a teenager. Nazis invent time travel but you can't go backwards in time at all due to paradoxes, so they can only go to the future. Basically it's a reverse-Terminator situation, with a lone Allied commando protecting a woman from Nazis from the past.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

MockingQuantum posted:

Since we're on the subject, which Koontz books are actually worth reading if you're not already a Koontz fan?

I actually quite liked Intensity. It's a serial killer thriller but it's very stressful, and I burned through the audiobook really quickly.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I just finished Winterset Hollow and it just feels like white people clumsily fumbling at colonization metaphors crossed with Narnia talking animals.

Well written, decently paced, but maybe there's some depth to it that I'm not getting. Oh oh the bad guys are actually multiple generations of a white colonizer family and the 'natives' [aka the magical talking animals] call the white colonizers 'buffalo' for some reason. Ok sure. Maybe this needs further rereads at a more careful pace to Get It, but for now I'm fine with leaving it at that. I do get the author is trying to say something here, though. I just can't sympathize with the main character that much either. Sorry about your childhood, bro. Idk, I feel like, personally, I'd feel more broken up if I learned that I came from a family of genocidal slavers. He sure murdered the hell of out his family's slaves, though. Great work, finishing the job. You could have gone home, do you feel like a hero yet? /reference to spec ops the line joke.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Yeah that was my main issue with it as well. It's well written and I really enjoyed the read, but the subtext made me really wonder what if any point the author was trying to make given how the novel plays out.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I'm holding off on discussing the metaphor/themes of the book cause I'm only a tick over halfway through, but I think that repeatedly describing one of your antagonists as a "builder bear" was a bit of an own goal.

Am I the only one who chuckles every time that gets used?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Just FYI I'm about seventeen chapters into between two fires by Christopher buehlman and it's amazing, 10/10

The characters are all compelling, it's dark and gritty and full of weird hope and the depictions of horror are incredible

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Kerro posted:

Yeah that was my main issue with it as well. It's well written and I really enjoyed the read, but the subtext made me really wonder what if any point the author was trying to make given how the novel plays out.

Sometimes authors just want a specific setting and it's not meant to be that deep. At least, not with that subject matter. I've thought about it a lil off an on and I don't think the Winterset Hollow author was really trying to say anything particular. Not like, oh say, Gemma Files with Experimental film and the history of social eugenics, esp. neurodivergence.

I think the author was trying to do something with generational trauma for the MC, but for me, everything else overshadowed that. If it was trying link the generational trauma between the magical animals and the MC, meh. I can't see it. We got more about the prison and torture that the enslaved magical animals endured than what the MC hinted he went through. I'm not comparing trauma or saying one is more valid than the other. But at the end of the book all I remembered was the prisons cells, the rabbit talking about his dead family taxidermied in a semi secret room, and the bear being unable to speak like the other animals because he was raised as a cub on the island as a slave. That kinda completely over shadows the vague poo poo MC inner monologued about from time to time.

I can appreciate the unique setting and premise. I like the genre of 'group goes to isolated location and die one by one because of a murderer within the group AND/OR someone in said location is hunting them like animals'. I think the book pulled all that off in a refreshingly different manner, and I was never bored with the action sequences.

It's like like Wylding Hall by Elizabeth Hand where you can see the concept, there's nothing 'wrong' per se with the novel. But there's potential there to explore deeper and go further. Regardless of the author's own race / ethnicity, even. Like, Hari Kunzru did a pretty great job as a nonblack british man of color in exploring antiblackness in US history! Craig Laurance Gidney explored dark fantasy / horror with A Spectral Hue! It can be done! Just not with this book.

I also felt uncomfortable at the indigenous slave animal metaphor because the enslaved rabbit was made to cut off his own leg and eaten. That is something that's happened to Black people who were enslaved in us history. I think that's a hosed up thing to include in the book in this specific context. I don't know if the author is familiar with slavery in us history but I'm far less interested in buying and reading whatever other works he publishes. The whole thing is a well written mess. I enjoyed it. I didn't like it. The duality of man.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm holding off on discussing the metaphor/themes of the book cause I'm only a tick over halfway through, but I think that repeatedly describing one of your antagonists as a "builder bear" was a bit of an own goal.

Am I the only one who chuckles every time that gets used?

No I loved it. The bear was my fave character, I was really rooting for him!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Just FYI I'm about seventeen chapters into between two fires by Christopher buehlman and it's amazing, 10/10

The characters are all compelling, it's dark and gritty and full of weird hope and the depictions of horror are incredible

Yeah i really, really loved it. I recommend it to basically everyone I can now and it's one of the favorites of the last few years for sure.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Wounds was extremely disappointing after NALM, didn't grab me at all.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Mr. Nemo posted:

Wounds was extremely disappointing after NALM, didn't grab me at all.

I felt the same way. NALM was the peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Haven't read NALM, Wounds is kinda eh. I haven't finished it yet.