Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

Barudak posted:

It is!

I have been told Im too successful and should look to be promoted out of this country or leave the company. Wheeeeee!

Do you work for a union? "Never be first, never be last, never volunteer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zil posted:

Whats it like in your dream pod?

I mean not throwing any shade, it just boggles my mind that a company like that exists.

All it takes is working for a vice category where people can't help themselves, aka the devil has defined benefits.

manpurse posted:

Do you work for a union? "Never be first, never be last, never volunteer"

Not union but japanese labor laws so they can instantly vaporize you for harassment but it can take 6 months to a year to be fired for sucking to the point where I've heard of companies paying recruiters to find you a new job.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Domus posted:

I got my garbage can confiscated at work once. I work at a place that builds vending machines, including coffee ones. Turns out the overflow buckets that catch all the drips are just cheap plastic trash cans. They have to be a particular size and shape, of course. Our company buys them by the thousands, so they’re also in all the offices.

One week they got a shipment of the wrong kind of bins in, but they had some orders that absolutely had to go out that day. So the coffee team ran around to every office and stole every trash can they could find. They power washed them, stuck ‘em in the machines, and hoped no customer complained. As far as I know, they got away with it.

Please, please tell me they gave you the defective but otherwise useful bins instead of tossing them all out

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Outrail posted:

Please, please tell me they gave you the defective but otherwise useful bins instead of tossing them all out

...and then, the next time an order didn't come in, there was initial optimism followed by great despair.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Das Boo posted:

I used to work at Nickelodeon. One day I came into work and noticed my trashcan was gone. And my office mate's. And then my friend came in saying everybody's trashcan was gone. We got an email an hour later saying this was to "reduce waste from bin liners" and not to, you know, cut back on janitorial staff or anything. They took our goddamn trashcans and told us to use the communal bin in the kitchen. So any time you had a leaky nose, you'd either have to pile your snot rags on your desk or leave your workspace each time you wanted to drop a tissue in the bin.

"Nah, just bring your own trash bin or bags!" You might think! They confiscated them. And then we got a snide email about people needing to do this because we're saving the earth, you small-minded plebs! and everyone's just gonna have to get used to it.

Anyway, sometimes I wonder how that worked out with covid and all.

When our office got it's covid remodel, they took away all the the trash cans at the desks. As computer janitors, we go through a lot of packaging trash and no this no trashcan policy wasn't going to fly. So my boss had a chat with Facilities so while everyone else has to take their trash to the break rooms or restrooms, we have two large cans in our area that the housekeeping people swing by daily to empty.

My boss has a not-so-secret list of groups within the company we're supposed to drop everything for and help, and Facilities is one of them. This is why we also now have a mini fridge, microwave, and Keurig. And why they're figuring out the best way to route the cable box from the executive conference room to us and get a TV mounted somewhere.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
My current MegaCorp has also taken away our bins and replaced them with central located ones in the name of sustainability. I don't get it, you're just wasting people's time by making them walk to the kitchen and back.

In the interest of reviving forklift chat, I once worked at s supermarket where our 16-year-old helper decided that he couldn't wait for someone with a license to get him that pallet of bottled Carlsberg from the far end of the outside yard.
So he fired up the gas-powered forklift and actually did quite well picking up the pallet. This is where I entered the back room and saw what he was doing, so I yelled that he should stop and come in - I got a smile and a wave, while he accelerated.

He approached the loading bay at pretty high speed. As he got closer he lifted the pallet to above the height of the bay, about chest high. Then he decided to adjust course and turned the steering wheel slightly, still at speed.

Amazingly, he wasn't fired, but I will never forget the look on his face as he stood next to the atomized remains of over a thousand bottles of beer and the overturned forklift while our usually phlegmatic store manager SCREAMED himself hoarse.

At least no one was hurt and the kid never did anything dumb again while I worked there. He went on to law school and did alright, so there's that :unsmith:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m pretty sure if they took away individual trash bins a good 40-50% of the people I work with will just let trash pile up at their workstation until someone else picks it up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

bobjr posted:

I’m pretty sure if they took away individual trash bins a good 40-50% of the people I work with will just let trash pile up at their workstation until someone else picks it up.

The answer to this poo poo is to just pile your garbage in the corner next to the door until they give you your loving trash cans back.

Pile it in front of your boss's office door if you're brave and your work doesn't have internal cameras.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

It's a tiny quibble but recently got a new boss's boss who has the cubicle next to mine. This person has been here months and hasn't bothered to introduce themselves to my dept. Just a super basic aspect of leadership to talk to your reports even once and can't spare the time.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Barudak posted:

All it takes is working for a vice category where people can't help themselves, aka the devil has defined benefits.

Blink twice if you work for the Yakuza.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cthulu Carl posted:

My boss has a not-so-secret list of groups within the company we're supposed to drop everything for and help...

Fix Finance First

lesserworm
Feb 6, 2006
If you ever wish to visit...don't.
I work for a large company and my team is feeling the negative effects of relying on contractors. Most of us were brought on as contractors. During lockdown, the people in charge of renewing contracts ignored time limits and just renewed everyone no matter how long they'd been there. As of last month, they've seemingly started paying attention again. My coworker, who'd been working there for three years had her extension denied. The solution here would be to convert her to full time, which is what our old boss and our new boss want. She's amazing at what she does and had multiple teams relying on her specifically. But converting to full time is apparently a mysterious, arcane process with a million hoops to jump through.

After about a month where she was out of work with the prospect of permanent employment dangled in front of her, she was granted an emergency extension for one month so she could continue working while waiting for her offer letter to come through. Guess what never happened. Now she's out of the job again, with no insight into where that full time offer is and we heard she might have to go through an interview process. I would have thought the interview process was the THREE YEARS she'd been working here already. So now the one other person on my team and I are having to pick up everything that got dropped when she had to leave and as a result, we're drowning, things are getting pushed back, it's just a total shitshow.

My contract reaches its maximum length in July. If I'm very lucky, they'll pull the same poo poo with me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sounds like you've been given all of the information you need to know that the only smart move is to start looking for a new job.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

lesserworm posted:

I work for a large company and my team is feeling the negative effects of relying on contractors. Most of us were brought on as contractors. During lockdown, the people in charge of renewing contracts ignored time limits and just renewed everyone no matter how long they'd been there. As of last month, they've seemingly started paying attention again. My coworker, who'd been working there for three years had her extension denied. The solution here would be to convert her to full time, which is what our old boss and our new boss want. She's amazing at what she does and had multiple teams relying on her specifically. But converting to full time is apparently a mysterious, arcane process with a million hoops to jump through.

After about a month where she was out of work with the prospect of permanent employment dangled in front of her, she was granted an emergency extension for one month so she could continue working while waiting for her offer letter to come through. Guess what never happened. Now she's out of the job again, with no insight into where that full time offer is and we heard she might have to go through an interview process. I would have thought the interview process was the THREE YEARS she'd been working here already. So now the one other person on my team and I are having to pick up everything that got dropped when she had to leave and as a result, we're drowning, things are getting pushed back, it's just a total shitshow.

My contract reaches its maximum length in July. If I'm very lucky, they'll pull the same poo poo with me.

Yeah, that's a "do as little as possible and look for another job". You'll get done dirty just like her.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I once had a temp job warehousing for a drinks wholesaler. I spent one morning unloading a shipping container full of beer imported into the UK from Australia, packed in the container on slip-sheets, individual boxes picked and stacked onto pallets by me and a buddy. I then spent half the afternoon clearing up the massive mess where the forklift guy had missed the pallet rack and dropped a full load on top of some other pallets, trashing enough bottles that we had to chuck the lot as a broken glass hazard.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zil posted:

Blink twice if you work for the Yakuza.

My workers comp for the tragic loss of my pinky tip was comprehensive and handled well, thank you very much.

lesserworm
Feb 6, 2006
If you ever wish to visit...don't.

Motronic posted:

Sounds like you've been given all of the information you need to know that the only smart move is to start looking for a new job.

Oh I have been. Had a couple good interviews, so fingers crossed I find something else soon. Preferably not another contract job.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Central trashcans are great for the same reason as bathrooms, printers, and water dispensers being central. Extra reasons to get up and move.

It's a shame that the whole social aspect means if people don't get up and move to take a poo poo, make a print, or grab some water it's to their own detriment. While piling trash on your desk fucks with everyone.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Don't really care when coworkers take a day off last minute and don't bother to update out of office settings. Do care when they get a positive covid test and only mention it to friends in the dept instead of everyone in their cubicle.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

We’re getting a 3% raise mid year due to the increase in cost of living. :| I mean, nice, I like more money. But it’s not gonna do poo poo when most of that goes to taxes.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Fix Finance First

The main list is HR (specifically payroll), Facilities, Physical Security. Basically the people who can either make our lives easier or worse.

It's funny because people in like Sales interpret this as us taking bribes so will buy us lunch and poo poo. Then when they have a problem we make them jump through the same tech support hoops as everyone else.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

How exactly does most of that go to taxes?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It doesn't. Somebody doesn't understand marginal tax rates. It's always better to make more money.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

ChickenDoodle posted:

We’re getting a 3% raise mid year due to the increase in cost of living. :| I mean, nice, I like more money. But it’s not gonna do poo poo when most of that goes to taxes.

Are you really paying more than 50% marginal tax rate on that 3% raise?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why are so many businesses run in a way akin to shooting themselves in the foot, repeatably?
We absolutely BANG ow hate success of any BANG ow kind and BANG ow must prevent it BANG ow at BANG BANG ow any cost!

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

TotalLossBrain posted:

Are you really paying more than 50% marginal tax rate on that 3% raise?

Hint... no one is. This guy gets how taxes work!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mzuri posted:

My current MegaCorp has also taken away our bins and replaced them with central located ones in the name of sustainability. I don't get it, you're just wasting people's time by making them walk to the kitchen and back.

In the interest of reviving forklift chat, I once worked at s supermarket where our 16-year-old helper decided that he couldn't wait for someone with a license to get him that pallet of bottled Carlsberg from the far end of the outside yard.
So he fired up the gas-powered forklift and actually did quite well picking up the pallet. This is where I entered the back room and saw what he was doing, so I yelled that he should stop and come in - I got a smile and a wave, while he accelerated.

He approached the loading bay at pretty high speed. As he got closer he lifted the pallet to above the height of the bay, about chest high. Then he decided to adjust course and turned the steering wheel slightly, still at speed.

Amazingly, he wasn't fired, but I will never forget the look on his face as he stood next to the atomized remains of over a thousand bottles of beer and the overturned forklift while our usually phlegmatic store manager SCREAMED himself hoarse.

At least no one was hurt and the kid never did anything dumb again while I worked there. He went on to law school and did alright, so there's that :unsmith:

Thank god he moved away from blue-collar poo poo and into a field where a blase attitude to following rules and common sense won't hurt anyone or be a net detriment to society.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Huh. I was trying to do something with that (a joke maybe??? Actually I don’t even know now I look at it) and came off looking like a real dumbass. That’s on me.

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 17, 2022

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
To be fair, if you had said it all went to inflation instead of taxes we'd all sagely nod in agreement.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I quit my last job of 10 years over a similar poo poo raise (2%). New job was a 53% raise.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Das Boo posted:

I used to work at Nickelodeon. One day I came into work and noticed my trashcan was gone. And my office mate's. And then my friend came in saying everybody's trashcan was gone. We got an email an hour later saying this was to "reduce waste from bin liners" and not to, you know, cut back on janitorial staff or anything. They took our goddamn trashcans and told us to use the communal bin in the kitchen. So any time you had a leaky nose, you'd either have to pile your snot rags on your desk or leave your workspace each time you wanted to drop a tissue in the bin.

"Nah, just bring your own trash bin or bags!" You might think! They confiscated them. And then we got a snide email about people needing to do this because we're saving the earth, you small-minded plebs! and everyone's just gonna have to get used to it.

Back in my early working days, I worked as a secretary for a University who was just implementing a "Go Green" initiative to cut down on paper waste. What that meant, apparently, was that every form was going to be available on the intranet to fill out. This was apparently a big change from the carbon copy forms that used to have to go around to different departments to get signed.... Except each of those departments still wanted and needed a hard copy of the form for their files. So, now, instead of sending around a carbon copy form to other departments, we had to print off 5 copies of the form and send it around.

The Admin group started touting how much less they were spending on forms. I would have loved to have known how much more was being spent on toner and printer paper comparatively speaking.

It was one of those times where you shrugged and said "Smart people are so dumb."

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Here’s some dumb poo poo my partner’s work is doing that led to creepy poo poo.

She started a new job a few weeks ago, totally remote and once she finishes training she’ll basically never have to interact with anyone besides her supervisor. They’re training for the next few weeks, which means her and a few other new people are sitting on Zoom calls for 8 hours a day. The company requires their cameras on despite them literally just listening all day, which is the Dumb poo poo, and is the cause of Creepy poo poo.

One of the other new people is some neckbeard who keeps sending her weird messages. As soon as she comes on camera he’ll compliment her looks or ask her about her hair or makeup or whatever. Not enough to be outright harassment, just textbook incel stuff. She basically told him “hey I don’t wanna talk I need to pay attention to this work” but it didn’t stop him. It’s got her all weirded out because she knows he’s just staring at her when she’s on, and he’ll send messages and she has to hide her reactions and pretend not to see them or whatever. She doesn’t want to be seen as “that girl” or a problem worker or whatever since she just started, so she didn’t want to go to her supervisor. Just the other day as soon as she got on he was like “oh hey I had a dream about you haha” so she finally decided to tell her boss. I told her that was a good idea.

On a whim I decided to Google the guy, as one does, and what do I find? Of course, he is a convicted rapist. Registered sex offender charged with one count of attempted rape of an unconscious/incapacitated woman.

She about threw up when I told her and showed her all the charges and stuff. Obviously it’s not illegal for a rapist to have a job, and a remote job where he can’t physically be around women is probably the best possible solution, but I don’t know if this place even did a background check or anything. I guess he isn’t doing anything illegal, but I doubt the company is going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Oh also, his rap sheet states he has an anime tattoo.

In short, men are creeps.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Not enough to be outright harassment

Yes it is and I have fired half a dozen people for that kind of poo poo in the last 10 years.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

evilpicard posted:

Yes it is and I have fired half a dozen people for that kind of poo poo in the last 10 years.

Agreed, given the circumstance your wife could easily make the case that she doesn't feel safe working around that person.

E: Especially if the dude was branded as high risk of re-offence.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

evilpicard posted:

:nice:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

evilpicard posted:

Yeah I told her “intent is irrelevant, if it’s making you uncomfortable it’s harassment”. But like I said, she has pretty bad anxiety and is worried she’ll get written off or be seen as a troublemaker or something. I told her to tell her supervisor and if he didn’t handle it immediately to go straight to HR with all the messages, including the ones to show that she told multiple people about it with no effect.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

TotalLossBrain posted:

I quit my last job of 10 years over a similar poo poo raise (2%). New job was a 53% raise.

And here we only gave "merit raises" to "the top 20% of achievers" (plus a few that were negotiated into that particular club) in the company... also of 2%. No yearly cost of living adjustment, either, so the other 80% (including a chunk of my team) gets hosed this year. Somehow I made the cut despite things personally going to hell over the last 4-5 months.

Still looking. Still not getting any bites from anyone remotely sane. Job market is hell.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

she has pretty bad anxiety and is worried she’ll get written off or be seen as a troublemaker or something.

What a weird coincidence that she is the person he chose to harass!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah I told her “intent is irrelevant, if it’s making you uncomfortable it’s harassment”. But like I said, she has pretty bad anxiety and is worried she’ll get written off or be seen as a troublemaker or something. I told her to tell her supervisor and if he didn’t handle it immediately to go straight to HR with all the messages, including the ones to show that she told multiple people about it with no effect.

She's not wrong, that poo poo happens. It's happened to people in my family where they basically became "that bitch" in the office until they left.

That said, the answer isn't to just sit there and take it, the answer is to tell them and if they do nothing about it (or, worse, retaliate or the like) quit and find a new job. It sucks but at the end of the day it's way, WAY better to be looking for new work than to be working at the kind of place that tolerates that behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's staff appreciation week, so we all got a framed picture of our boss's signature. His name is on there twice actually.