Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Zil posted:

Slap some load bearing insulation in there and those stairs will work out just fine.

Which does exist and would drastically improve this situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
Today, when opening up one of the three (!) different light boxes poorly patched over in his bathroom, my boyfriend found that, apparently, the PO had ran out of wire nuts at some point.

They used the next best thing to splice the wires together. It's... sort of like a wire nut, if you squint really hard.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GoonyMcGoonface posted:

Today, when opening up one of the three (!) different light boxes poorly patched over in his bathroom, my boyfriend found that, apparently, the PO had ran out of wire nuts at some point.

They used the next best thing to splice the wires together. It's... sort of like a wire nut, if you squint really hard.

Images that should be thread titles

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

GoonyMcGoonface posted:

I mean they were clearly finished eating so why not, it's just making use of all parts of the food

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

GoonyMcGoonface posted:

:worship:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Crappy Construction: inappropriate nutting

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

devmd01 posted:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses > Crappy construction: It's... sort of like a wire nut, if you squint really hard.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
It really just holds the whole thing together

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
these are cool and normal but I'm imagining DIY people finding out that walls usually contain studs and poo poo and not near enough depth for this

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

devmd01 posted:

Platystemon posted:

Images that should be thread titles

Continuing our thread title theme, of course.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I mean they were clearly finished eating so why not, it's just making use of all parts of the food

I'm pretty sure that's the tip from a glue bottle, like Elmers.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Look at the boob that doesn't think you can eat glue!!!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

moist turtleneck posted:

these are cool and normal but I'm imagining DIY people finding out that walls usually contain studs and poo poo and not near enough depth for this

Also it's floating on some kind of platform built inside the wall, apparently.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Doesn't Chicago demand all conduit and all electricians from Chicago are shocked to find out that people in other places just .....throw the wire inside the walls and hope nothing hits it?
Hah, I live in Chicago, read that post, and was wondering "how else would you wire anything"?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

gvibes posted:

Hah, I live in Chicago, read that post, and was wondering "how else would you wire anything"?

It was a bit interesting when I lived in the Chicago suburbs and commuted to Indiana (Hammond) for work, and heard some coworkers talking about rewiring their house. Mentioning just throwing BX cable everywhere and how fast/easy it would go. And my house at the time had to have some requiring before I could close on it because the previous owner had more than 6 feet (or maybe 3) of romex to a light fixture in the basement.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

moist turtleneck posted:

lmao

That is (probably) a knee wall, meaning it is not load bearing and the studs behind it are just there to give you something to screw the drywall into.

I actually spent my afternoon yesterday cutting a whole in MY knee wall, where I uncovered a hidden wall that I think may have been an attempt by the PO to kinda do the same thing? Except they gave up and walled it in when the rest of the second floor was turned into conditioned space. And they left a plunge blade in there for me to find.

I only opened up the wall to make my life easier to replace all of this insulation and install a new bathroom exhaust fan:

but I've since decided to turn it into a recessed shelving unit.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

So, uh, what did that insulation look like as new? Because I can't really manage to go from ... that to any kind of insulation I've seen before.

e: The black stuff - the rockwool is normal enough

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the tip from a glue bottle, like Elmers.

Oh, do you think so? Is that what it is? Well I guess it definitely isn't possible I was trying to make a I-didn't-think-that-subtle joke about the type of people who would use the top of a glue bottle as a wire nut, no sir.

Perhaps this is more to your taste* :

HURR HURR LOOKS LIKE THEY EAT GLUE

* HEYYYY GUESS WHAT THIS IS ALSO A JOKE I AM HELPFULLY EXPLAINING FOR YOU, THE PERSON WHO REQUIRES A JOKE EXPLAINER AT ALL TIMES

:rolleyes:

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 18, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A classic "woosh" probably would have worked, but go off.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Oh, do you think so? Is that what it is? Well I guess it definitely isn't possible I was trying to make a I-didn't-think-that-subtle joke about the type of people who would use the top of a glue bottle as a wire nut, no sir.

* HEYYYY GUESS WHAT THIS IS ALSO A JOKE I AM HELPFULLY EXPLAINING FOR YOU, THE PERSON WHO REQUIRES A JOKE EXPLAINER AT ALL TIMES

post/username combo

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Computer viking posted:

So, uh, what did that insulation look like as new? Because I can't really manage to go from ... that to any kind of insulation I've seen before.

It's fiberglass on the walls and mineral wool between the joists. Honestly can't tell if it has been destroyed by animals or just the ravages of time. In some places it is entirely intact and others it looks like mice got into it, but it is all pretty clean (no poop etc). It is 81 years old so I guess it could be worse?

The crappy construction aspect to this project is that this side of the attic had no access door. Whenever they turned the second floor into livable space they just walled in that side. The other side has a door and the PO added a bunch of insulation on top of the original stuff (I assume, haven't gone spelunking to find out). I am working on the south side of the house, which gets all the afternoon sun. Gonna be going from R-??? to an R-30+ I hope.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

sent this to my father, who responded

no pics, alas.

(McMakin was the street name.)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SyNack Sassimov posted:

you ok?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Meltdown May continues

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/dankgdl/status/1389726427390652422

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

it's been a long month man I just wanna post my lovely jokes in peace and imagine to myself that someone out there might have the beginnings of a chuckle at them

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SyNack Sassimov posted:

it's been a long month man I just wanna post my lovely jokes in peace and imagine to myself that someone out there might have the beginnings of a chuckle at them

I absolutely chuckled, and relayed it to my mother, who also chuckled.

e: Told my cat, too, but he seems unimpressed.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Computer viking posted:

So as it turns out it's.. .felt paper??? Apparently the poo poo under the floor inside the house is different (mineral wool) but they both have dark brown faced paper so I figured it was all the same poo poo. Welp.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

This would be the one bumper sticker I’d consider having.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dareon posted:

e: Told my cat, too, but he seems unimpressed.

I will redouble my efforts to amuse your cat!

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Chicago also has special exit signs:

the letters are slightly taller

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sirotan posted:

So as it turns out it's.. .felt paper??? Apparently the poo poo under the floor inside the house is different (mineral wool) but they both have dark brown faced paper so I figured it was all the same poo poo. Welp.

Oh yeah, I can kind of see that. Not the greatest (or most fireproof) insulation known to man.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Computer viking posted:

Oh yeah, I can kind of see that. Not the greatest (or most fireproof) insulation known to man.

Triple posting about my insulation but after spending 3 hours crawling around in my attic I can now tell you to definitively It was actually mineral wool, with a layer of disintegrating felt paper insulation on top of it. I kinda felt bad about removing the mineral wool because it was mostly in good condition, but I already bought its replacement so it's all gotta go.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sirotan posted:

it looks like mice got into it, but it is all pretty clean (no poop etc)

If there's no poop, mice definitely have not been anywhere near there.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I personally had a good chuckle at your overreaction troll :glomp:

Crappy post construction itt

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/KyleWIIM/status/1527353565852815376?s=20&t=4iqhc73qbSBrRpw4-1sIbQ

quote:

The Grand Castle is a multi-family residential development in Grandville, Michigan with 520 apartment units.The Grand Castle's design was inspired by the Neuschwanstein Castle and it has been described "as the second largest castle structure in the world." Area architects are unimpressed, describing the structure as “post-capitalist absurdism,” “gaudy,” “ill-conceived,” "an eyesore," “misguided,” and “gimmicky.”

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

holy poo poo

It has its own Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Castle

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I just checked out their website, and if I was younger, still living in apartments, and was in the area I would definitely live there. I think it looks really neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Part of the absurdity of the castle place is that just across the street is a junky muffler shop. There is a subway right nearby as well.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.913...l=en&authuser=0