Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
going to :nws: this posts tweets

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1526846820382560256
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1526878044505481218
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1526884914850938880

Actual Right Sector volunteer battalion video, high production value
https://twitter.com/brokenpixelua/status/1526924462561665026

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Tangentially related but with Hungary saying they're going to block Finland and Sweden from joining NATO blocking further EU sanctions against Russia I find this to be an interesting coincidence - CPAC, an american Far-Right political conference, is holding a special session in Hungary this weekend! Interesting list of speakers too, though no Russians among them. Mostly Hungarian and American, obviously, but some Austrians and an Italian politican in the mix along with Nigel Farage.
https://twitter.com/julianborger/status/1526925034022912000?s=20&t=zHiQRmpU80G1UrNNVwPL1A
Article - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/18/cpac-conference-budapest-hungary-viktor-orban-speaker

Speakers list - https://www.cpachungary.com/en/speakers

Just an international coalition the far right coming together in Hungary including it's leader that's actively opposing further sanctions against Russia. Nothing to see here.

Edited to correct my dumb Turkey/Hungary mix-up

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 18, 2022

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

Dick Ripple posted:

We will soon have a humilated and ostracized Russia with a 2km long border with an opposing alliance. Nukes are one of the few cards they will have left.

Pressing that button, even if it is "just" a tactical nuke against Ukraine would make Russia's current situation seem like a walk in the park by comparison even if no nukes are launched in response at Russia.

Russia's policies for nukes is pretty clear about what scenarios would lead to them launching nukes, this is not one of them.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

KitConstantine posted:

Tangentially related but with Hungary saying they're going to block Finland and Sweden from joining NATO I find this to be an interesting coincidence - CPAC, an american Far-Right political conference, is holding a special session in Hungary this weekend!

That's Turkey. Unless Hungary has said something along those lines though, but I haven't heard anything. I wouldn't exactly be surprised if they decided to be troublemakers though.

Everything else in your post is absolutely correct and should be noticed by everyone.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

KitConstantine posted:

Tangentially related but with Hungary saying they're going to block Finland and Sweden from joining NATO I find this to be an interesting coincidence - CPAC, an american Far-Right political conference, is holding a special session in Hungary this weekend! Interesting list of speakers too, though no Russians among them. Mostly Hungarian and American, obviously, but some Austrians and an Italian politican in the mix along with Nigel Farage.
https://twitter.com/julianborger/status/1526925034022912000?s=20&t=zHiQRmpU80G1UrNNVwPL1A
Article - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/18/cpac-conference-budapest-hungary-viktor-orban-speaker

Just an international coalition the far right coming together in Hungary including it's leader that's actively opposing further sanctions against Russia. Nothing to see here.

Yeah this all seems like the obvious next step for putin/russia to begin pushing real hard on the US Conservative apparatus (namely those indebted to putin) with the intent of getting the US to pull out of Ukrainian support/NATO with a hopeful republican victory in 2024. What we're seeing is the beginnings of that mobilization.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Fabulous Knight posted:

That's Turkey. Unless Hungary has said something along those lines though, but I haven't heard anything. I wouldn't exactly be surprised if they decided to be troublemakers though.

Everything else in your post is absolutely correct and should be noticed by everyone.

Thank you for correcting me, I edited the post to fix it. Mornings man.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DandyLion posted:

Yeah this all seems like the obvious next step for putin/russia to begin pushing real hard on the US Conservative apparatus (namely those indebted to putin) with the intent of getting the US to pull out of Ukrainian support/NATO with a hopeful republican victory in 2024. What we're seeing is the beginnings of that mobilization.
I mean if Trump gets back in it’s going to be really bad for Ukraine, for sure. Especially considering how well the Trump campaign was surrounded by Putin’s allies.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
It's hard to tell for certain, but I'm speculating that Ukraine has prioritized its northern flank over the Donbas salient. First they took care of the threat to Kyiv, then to Sumy, then to Kharkiv. As Territorial Defense Brigades are fully mobilized they can use those to hold the northern border with Belarus, and have a regular army brigade or two as operational reserve.

So long as the forces in Donbas can hold, they should get more and better equipment as time goes on, and (hopefully) replacements from reservists and new recruits.

Right this moment, Ukraine may be prioritizing the attacks across the Donets, thinking that the best way to relieve pressure on the eastern front isn't to put more troops in front of Russian artillery and tanks but to threaten that northern supply route.

And I agree with the points above re: Trump. He is not only the single largest threat to the US, but to Ukraine as well. As bad as his previous term was, he will be far, far more evil a second time around.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
That Lex Friedman interview with Oliver stone is by far one of the most unhinged things I have seen masquerading as a serious interview. Lex is just joe organ levels of gullible and provides zero counter-arguments to stone's obvious bullshit. He probably wouldn't get the interview if he actually did any criticism, maybe that's how all of his stuff is. He seems to have a weird lineup of guests ranging from heavyweight intellectuals to straight-up crazy people.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Dick Ripple posted:

I am not advertising or in support of Olivers thoughts.. The woods being there are a lot of people, especially here in Europe not jumping on board the full and unconditional support for NATO and Ukraine train, and there are reasons for that. Some of which lean towards the Russian Government line, to general distrust of the US and NATO. Maybe we should listen to what the rational folks are saying (that does not mean agree) and realise that some of the actions our governments are taking could lead us towards some bad directions, like nukes being lobbed at eachother.

And there are people from Russia that are on board. Russia has never experienced a reckoning with it's actions in both World Wars and during the Soviet purges, and maybe it's time they have. A good article came out from The Spectator on this topic - by a Russian, Sergey Radchenko, who I'm quite certain speaks Russian

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-russia-needs-to-be-humiliated-in-ukraine

The whole article is worth a read but I've pulled some key portions

quote:

Russia’s humiliation in Ukraine has untold benefits, not least for Russia itself. We have heard it said for years that Russia must be indulged and humoured because, if not, it will resent having lost its great power status. The Soviet collapse, we were told, was a terrible catastrophe from which aggrieved, embittered Russians never recovered. So they need to be respected. They need to stand tall and proud. God forbid if they are humiliated because who knows what they will do.

Russia needs proper humiliation. It needs a humble recognition of its diminished status, an acceptance of guilt, and a slow, painstaking effort to rebuild the trust of those it has wronged. Russia did not learn this lesson in the 1990s. It must learn it now.

True greatness lies not in hideous military parades, nor in promises to unleash a nuclear Armageddon. True greatness lies in acceptance of the past, and a willingness to make amends. It lies in the commitment to build a better future, in a country that could become known for its schools and hospitals rather than its tanks and missiles.

The real source of Russia’s humiliation has always been Russia itself: its arrogant, autocratic rulers and the chauvinistic populace that slavishly worship them. Russia’s defeat in this unjust, criminal war against Ukraine may help shift the domestic narrative in Russia towards accepting the country for what it really is, rather than what it has vainly pretended to be. It is only then that Russia can, finally, be at peace with itself and with its neighbours.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

KitConstantine posted:

Tangentially related but with Hungary saying they're going to block Finland and Sweden from joining NATO blocking further EU sanctions against Russia I find this to be an interesting coincidence - CPAC, an american Far-Right political conference, is holding a special session in Hungary this weekend! Interesting list of speakers too, though no Russians among them. Mostly Hungarian and American, obviously, but some Austrians and an Italian politican in the mix along with Nigel Farage.

Edited to correct my dumb Turkey/Hungary mix-up
Czech, Belgian, French, and Spanish fascists (I thought they fought a war to get rid of those) as well. And two, count 'em, two Florida congressmen along with weasel-human hybrid Andy Harris.

But where's the Lion of Budapest? Have the people lost their trust in GORKA?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Youth Decay posted:

and Spanish fascists (I thought they fought a war to get rid of those)

Yeah um, that war went pretty much as badly as it possibly could. :(

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

KitConstantine posted:

Russia has never experienced a reckoning with it's actions in both World Wars

Russia reckoned with its actions in WWI to a greater extant than any other combatant.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FishBulbia posted:

Russia reckoned with its actions in WWI to a greater extant than any other combatant.

I think Austro-Hungary may disagree... Well, it would if it still existed.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Did you see Erdogan's demands for him to stop vetoing Finland and Sweden's entrance in NATO?

https://www.aei.org/foreign-and-defense-policy/erdogan-issues-his-demands-to-nato/

quote:

NATO should classify not only the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) but also the Syrian Defense Forces (SDF) and the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) in the alliance’s list of threats.
The United States should then extradite Pennsylvania-based dissident cleric Fethullah Gülen to Turkey.
All NATO members, including Sweden and Finland, must cease any activity by the PKK, SDF, or FETO on their territories.
The United States and other NATO bodies must lift all sanctions related to Turkey’s purchase of the S-400, including sanctions upon the Turkish Defense Industry Directorate.
Turkey would not only receive the new F-16s and upgrade kits for its existing fleet, but Turkey will also be able to rejoin the F-35 program from which it was expelled after activating the Russian S-400s.
Lastly, the United States would cease preventing Turkey from exporting military products containing Western components.

LMAO. We should kick Turkey out of NATO.

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

KitConstantine posted:

And there are people from Russia that are on board. Russia has never experienced a reckoning with it's actions in both World Wars and during the Soviet purges, and maybe it's time they have. A good article came out from The Spectator on this topic - by a Russian, Sergey Radchenko, who I'm quite certain speaks Russian

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-russia-needs-to-be-humiliated-in-ukraine

This is a good article, as it explains something that is obvious to Russia's neighbors, but not widely understood by Western Europeans and Americans, I think. Russians don't see themselves as violent drunks lying in a pool of their own vomit; they're heroes of the galaxy who saved the world from the nazis. They're to be venerated forevermore by the rest of the world, and the fact that this does not line up with reality is a great injustice. That's literally what their whole belief system and self-worth as a nation is based on.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

golden bubble posted:

Did you see Erdogan's demands for him to stop vetoing Finland and Sweden's entrance in NATO?

https://www.aei.org/foreign-and-defense-policy/erdogan-issues-his-demands-to-nato/

in a purely sociopathic sense Turkey is probably the most geostrategically important member besides germany and the US

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

golden bubble posted:

I'm going to guess that a fair whack of this is "poo poo that isn't going to happen," and is merely a first step in negotiations. If they're gonna hold out for the full demands, that's gonna be interesting times I reckon.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Panzeh posted:

We do have [Putin's] ideas for Ukraine, both in the leaked RIA victory speech as well as statements made early on, when he thought he was going to win quickly.

Out of morbid curiosity, is there an untranslated transcript? Or it's that "new world"/"new era" article from 02/26 people linked upthread?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tomn posted:

I'm going to guess that a fair whack of this is "poo poo that isn't going to happen," and is merely a first step in negotiations. If they're gonna hold out for the full demands, that's gonna be interesting times I reckon.

Same here. I wouldn't expect them to think they're getting the whole list of goodies, but I'm betting they're shooting for a couple of them and maybe some extra grease somewhere else.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
Out of the demands regarding military hardware, how many of them would Turkey use to either buy or sell weapons to Russia? Would it actually be worth letting Finland/Sweden join NATO if all those demands were met?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

The US is preparing a military aid package for India to deepen security ties and reduce the country’s dependence on Russian weapons, people familiar with the matter said.

While India is already diversifying its military platforms away from Russia, the US wants to help make that happen faster, the official said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-17/us-seeks-to-wean-india-from-russia-weapons-with-arms-aid-package

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The military buildups that are occuring all over the world.

Party like its 1890 folks the worst is yet to come.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

cgeq posted:

Out of the demands regarding military hardware, how many of them would Turkey use to either buy or sell weapons to Russia? Would it actually be worth letting Finland/Sweden join NATO if all those demands were met?

Considering how much drum banging has been going on regarding a quick process for Finland and Sweden, it would be a major blow to the credibility of the organisation to just go "Actually, nah" at this point.

This is one of the latest statements. Until now the US has been more down-key so as not to make it seem like they're making us join.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

cgeq posted:

Turkey seems legitimately alarmed by Russia's war and I doubt they're in any hurry to give Russia any arms business, but in a few years once this has blown over (at least for Turkey) and Turkey is looking for leverage to annoy NATO over something else I'm sure they'd love having the flexibility to go to Russia for arms sales.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The military buildups that are occuring all over the world.

Party like its 1890 folks the worst is yet to come.

Spending is one thing, but capacity is hard. Saudi Arabia was spending an equivalent amount of its gdp on the military as Germany was in the 1930s, and we saw how much that bought them. Russia has the 4th largest defense budget and we see what that bought them.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Morrow posted:

Spending is one thing, but capacity is hard. Saudi Arabia was spending an equivalent amount of its gdp on the military as Germany was in the 1930s, and we saw how much that bought them. Russia has the 4th largest defense budget and we see what that bought them.

well presumably the money goes towards procuring actual weapons, not say, dachas and Audis.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ringu0 posted:

Out of morbid curiosity, is there an untranslated transcript? Or it's that "new world"/"new era" article from 02/26 people linked upthread?

That's it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

lol they keep coming into the thread. I still seem them online and even in real life. The western putin supporter always has the exact same strategy and tone, every single time.

It always starts with something like "Hey guys, I totally hate this war and Putin is very bad, what Russia is doing is clearly wrong. But... I was just mainlining some russia state propaganda into my arm, don't worry I know its propaganda so it can't affect me, and this whole war isn't as simple as the western media narrative as been. Did you know there's some right wing people in Ukraine? Did you know their government isn't as perfect and benevolent as the United Federation of Plants? Reminder, I totally support Ukraine in this, I'm very rational and polite, but I'm just asking questions you know?"

Then comes the defensiveness and accusations after the first pushback
"Oh so we're just supposed to only swallow western propaganda?? Just blindly believe everything NATO and western governments say? This doesn't lead to a nuanced view of history! It's important to listen to all sides and find the truth! You guys probably all still think Iraq had WMD's! The west lies!! You're all just a bunch of war cheerleaders!"

Then comes the mask off
"You know what, gently caress you guys. Ukraine is a nazi junta installed by the CIA in one their imperialist color revolutions. I actually was a kind and rational person but because you were mean to me I'm going to go tattoo a giant Z on my face to trigger you nato-lovers!"

I've seen this sort of cycle like a dozen times now at least. It's made me just instantly not bother with any of these kind rational people who are just asking questions and hay guys did you check out this Oliver Stone guy he seems to have some interesting insights you don't hear in western media??

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Oracle posted:

well presumably the money goes towards procuring actual weapons, not say, dachas and Audis.

Where?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Baronjutter posted:

lol they keep coming into the thread. I still seem them online and even in real life. The western putin supporter always has the exact same strategy and tone, every single time.

It always starts with something like "Hey guys, I totally hate this war and Putin is very bad, what Russia is doing is clearly wrong. But... I was just mainlining some russia state propaganda into my arm, don't worry I know its propaganda so it can't affect me, and this whole war isn't as simple as the western media narrative as been. Did you know there's some right wing people in Ukraine? Did you know their government isn't as perfect and benevolent as the United Federation of Plants? Reminder, I totally support Ukraine in this, I'm very rational and polite, but I'm just asking questions you know?"

"Oh so we're just supposed to only swallow western propaganda?? Just blindly believe everything NATO and western governments say? This doesn't lead to a nuanced view of history! It's important to listen to all sides and find the truth! You guys probably all still think Iraq had WMD's! The west lies!! You're all just a bunch of war cheerleaders!"

Then comes the mask off
"You know what, gently caress you guys. Ukraine is a nazi junta installed by the CIA in one their imperialist color revolutions. I actually was a kind and rational person but because you were mean to me I'm going to go tattoo a giant Z on my face to trigger you nato-lovers!"

I've seen this sort of cycle like a dozen times now at least. It's made me just instantly not bother with any of these kind rational people who are just asking questions and hay guys did you check out this Oliver Stone guy he seems to have some interesting insights you don't hear in western media??

It's that Bors cartoon but for faux-leftists instead of CHUDs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

KitConstantine posted:

Maybe I've been reading too much Russian media, but for real, "bro, have you tried looking at the United States" seems to be a very obvious query.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Former chancellor of Germany Gerhard Schröder might soon be the first former chancellor of Germany to be on an international freaking sanctions list and I can't stop laughing about it. Get hosed you piece of poo poo. Even parts of his party are cheering for it.

https://twitter.com/SZ/status/1526948776644120577?t=Ta_oDQC-qfzVgJmUg6EkSA&s=19

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

the popes toes posted:

The US is preparing a military aid package for India to deepen security ties and reduce the country’s dependence on Russian weapons, people familiar with the matter said.

While India is already diversifying its military platforms away from Russia, the US wants to help make that happen faster, the official said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-17/us-seeks-to-wean-india-from-russia-weapons-with-arms-aid-package

Wonder if there's any sort of quid pro quo going on here given that India was specifically planning to increase their exports to Russia by $2 billion and looking for alternative ways to make payments.

Seems unlikely the US would do this while India tries to undermine the sanctions.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Maybe I've been reading too much Russian media, but for real, "bro, have you tried looking at the United States" seems to be a very obvious query.

What does that have to do with what this Russian man thinks about the issues with Russia?

Not literally saying 'what about' doesn't make this a better point

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 18, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Youth Decay posted:

Spanish fascists (I thought they fought a war to get rid of those)

Did your history book just like suddenly end in the 1930's and you kind of guessed at the ending?

Because I have bad news about that war.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

GABA ghoul posted:

Former chancellor of Germany Gerhard Schröder might soon be the first former chancellor of Germany to be on an international freaking sanctions list and I can't stop laughing about it. Get hosed you piece of poo poo. Even parts of his party are cheering for it.

Habeck called him a "Russian Oligarch" some time ago and I didn't see anybody complain.

I do wonder if he can be thrown out of the party. Back in February there was a lot of rumbling from regional SPD orgs about doing, but legally I'm not sure if it can be successful.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Interesting move from Moldova.
https://twitter.com/lesiavasylenko/status/1526966563651428352?s=20&t=r5l6-kNyXNqou8yfdsxoGw
Though honestly what better time than now? "You and what army" comes to mind

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I suppose this works
https://twitter.com/GrangerE04117/status/1526934855489302529

Baronjutter posted:

Then comes the mask off

You can just report concern trolls, it's not hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

golden bubble posted:

There is zero chance of Turkey getting F-35s if they are using S-400s. Nobody with an F-35 wants to give the Russians flight data they can feed into S-400s to make the F-35 easier to shoot down.