Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

skipdogg posted:

Man that's a bunch of red flags. You put down a honda accord worth of due diligence? The Carolina's are weird.

You have to at this point. It's a big incentive for buyers to lure sellers into their offers. loving ridiculous.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My kids' day care person lived in a very fancy brand-new McMansion. Back in the '90s, it cost tens of thousands to repair the framing -- paid for by the developer -- and I can't imagine what it would be with modern construction prices, plus 40 years of possible damage as opposed to 2-3. It's unlikely that you'll be able to recoup the money from either the original builder or the stucco manufacturer, if either of them is even still in business.

I'm being really scary, and I'm sorry. But, just as a Stablok panel can burn your house down, an EIFS failure can destroy your house's frame. And you can replace a Stablok easily.

No don't worry about scaring me, it's definitely important to know and I appreciate it.

Just loving incensed at both agents - especially my selling agent since she should have known.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That is worth a firing, a rehiring, and then a refiring just to make sure it sticks. Wow, I’m glad I learned about this bullshit but not glad it had to happen to you.

Do Never Respect REAs.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry to get back to my dumb doorway stuff which now seems like quite a small matter relative to the stucco stuff - sorry goon.

I put a sock over a deadblow and gave some upwards motivation to the top of the doorframe, which moved it probably 1/16" up and the door now shuts properly. I didn't mention it before but these walls are steel stud and there's actually also a water sprinkler right above the center of the door so I'm reluctant to drive a 3" screw up into that space without knowing how it was framed out with the steel studs and where that water line might be.

As you'd expect I now have some gap in the doorframe:

Is the process to clean it up with a scraper, sand if necessary, apply some caulking, and paint it?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

doorframes get fastened w little nails which can come loose with time and temp/humidity swings. try using 1-2 3" deck screws in the spot where it rubs to draw the door frame tight against the lumber again

Uh, what? You don't use something like this? It's pretty much standard here, you use a hex shaped tool to move the spinny part around and can adjust the frame that way.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Uh, what? You don't use something like this? It's pretty much standard here, you use a hex shaped tool to move the spinny part around and can adjust the frame that way.

Guessing you're not in Amurica.

No a prehung door/frame here is just shimmed and screwed to the wall framing.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

NomNomNom posted:

Guessing you're not in Amurica.

No a prehung door/frame here is just shimmed and screwed to the wall framing.

My contractors installed one backwards (swinging in to a 5 x 5 room) and I'm looking at that piece of hardware with the greatest envy I've ever experienced in my loving life.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

VelociBacon posted:

Is the process to clean it up with a scraper, sand if necessary, apply some caulking, and paint it?

Pretty much, yes.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

BonoMan posted:

You have to at this point. It's a big incentive for buyers to lure sellers into their offers. loving ridiculous.

No don't worry about scaring me, it's definitely important to know and I appreciate it.

Just loving incensed at both agents - especially my selling agent since she should have known.

Just remember, your agents job is to get you to buy a house. That's when they get paid and move on to the next one

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

brugroffil posted:

Just remember, your agents job is to get you to buy a house. That's when they get paid and move on to the next one
It depends. A good agent (the last one I used was a gem) will warn you off houses you think you like but that are bad for you. Mine talked me out of a couple of houses that I loved but that my arthritic knees couldn't manage the stairs on. She also warned us about a house that looked pretty on-screen but had an inappropriate foundation for earthquake country, and a house whose lot was so small that the previous owners had to install a turntable so that cars could turn around and get back down the driveway.

There are a lot of lovely agents out there. There are also some who absolutely want to make sure you find the right house. Mine not only did that, but answered months' worth of "Do you know a good roofing contractor? A carpenter? A gardener?" long after the sale.

Just to be clear, that was my realtor in 2021, when the market was red-hot.

It's really something when you're doing a walk-through with your realtor and she's muttering "okay, the flooring in the kitchen is lower-quality than the living room" and stuff like that.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Yeah, I just had a Redfin agent, but when we gave him a list of houses to look at he immediately identified two of them as houses he had already toured that were crap, and a couple of the ones we did tour he put us off immediately. One had terrible electrical including exposed wiring in the basement (could have figured that one out myself) one had 3 different heating systems (boiler for the first floor, forced air for the second floor/converted attic, electric baseboard for the basement master suite), and one had half the basement suspiciously locked, which he assumed meant there was an illegal tenant.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Real estate agent has become the de facto career choice for people that really don’t know what they want to do in life. It’s not a grueling grind to get your license and with the way the market is you don’t have to be very clever to be successful.

Not sure what your scenario is but Id want a pretty tenured agent right now if I was shopping.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

BonoMan posted:

Please keep us as updated as legality will allow you to (your lawyer may advise not telling a bunch of goons poo poo).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
This is why my next house will be a log house. If I ever move, it'll be to a farm with a 1800s long house.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Slugworth posted:

Please keep us as updated as legality will allow you to (your lawyer may advise not telling a bunch of goons poo poo).

Will do. We have some more meetings late afternoon today. On another note, being an EIFS house, I'm kind of surprised that it appraised for $10K over what we paid.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Our house has EIFS but it was slapped over an existing brick facade for reasons I'll never understand. So, yeah, eifs blows poo poo, but there's always a slim chance it's installed over a non wood exterior and you can avoid the rotting framing issue.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I really like what I see from the sprayed cork exterior application, but it seems to be a largely Canadian thing right now. They advertise it as a good way to insulate from the outside, as well as encapsulate stucco/masonry.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Is there some place that lists all the disastrous new construction materials throughout history? Like EIFS, Aluminum Wiring, Stab-Lok panels, CertainTeed cat litter shingles... basically stuff that was supposed to be an improvement over existing materials and techniques but just disintegrated after installation.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Dave posted:

I really like what I see from the sprayed cork exterior application, but it seems to be a largely Canadian thing right now. They advertise it as a good way to insulate from the outside, as well as encapsulate stucco/masonry.

The way this stuff always goes I don't know that I would trust anything that hasn't been around for a long time.

I knew it when I bought about a month ago, and the P.O. paid for the special levy already, but the exterior of the tower I live in is getting redone this summer, looking forward to Hot Scaffold Summer I guess.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you build it, we will click.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Do they sell something like a fiberglass disc that I could use to seal over a hole in a fiberglass shower insert? The shower in our basement has some "I watched too much HGTV" steam thing with a bunch of extra nozels and I just want to rip it all out when I replace the shower valve in a few weeks.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Vim Fuego posted:

Is there some place that lists all the disastrous new construction materials throughout history? Like EIFS, Aluminum Wiring, Stab-Lok panels, CertainTeed cat litter shingles... basically stuff that was supposed to be an improvement over existing materials and techniques but just disintegrated after installation.

Don't forget orangeburg!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I know nothing about this EIFS stuff. Is there a resource to read about it? It seems (from my quick googling) that it's very similar to how I understand stucco is done here?

The Dave posted:

Cork? Wow. I've never heard of that. I thought anything cork was a fortune.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Is it normal for a carpet installer to charge you for installing waste?

I got a second quote from a local place which was so high compared to Home Depot's it was laughable. The install is .75 a sqft but they still saw fit to charge me for a huge number of extra square feet of carpet, in this case, even more than Home Depot. 440 square foot of room that Home Depot turned into 540 square feet of carpet has now become 620 square feet of carpet, and the new company is trying to charge me to install all 620 feet despite nearly 200 feet of carpet being rolled up in a corner of my garage when this is all over.

I tried very hard in the three emails I have sent this morning to not tell this lady to go gently caress herself and I am gradually resigning myself to installing the carpet on my own, is every carpet company going to try to gently caress me in this specific way? I don't want a giant roll of leftover carpet, I don't care how many seams are in my room, I had one room that literally had five seams running through it and you wouldn't have noticed a single loving one of them

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 18, 2022

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Mirthless posted:

I got a second quote from a local place which was so high compared to Home Depot's it was laughable. The install is .75 a sqft but they still saw fit to charge me for a huge number of extra square feet of carpet, in this case, even more than Home Depot. 440 square foot of room that Home Depot turned into 540 square feet of carpet has now become 620 square feet of carpet, and the new company is trying to charge me to install all 620 feet despite nearly 200 feet of carpet being rolled up in a corner of my garage when this is all over.

I tried very hard in the three emails I have sent this morning to not tell this lady to go gently caress herself and I am gradually resigning myself to installing the carpet on my own, is every carpet company going to try to gently caress me in this specific way? I don't want a giant roll of leftover carpet, I don't care how many seams are in my room, I had one room that literally had five seams running through it and you wouldn't have noticed a single loving one of them

If you're a Costco member try them, they should have a carpet installer affiliate.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Mirthless posted:

If a client told me to 'go gently caress myself' in an email, or even came close to that level of emotion, I would decline to work with them (and have done so). You are welcome to dislike a price that you have been quoted, but you need to be professional about how you communicate. No one is required to give you a certain price, and you are not entitled to have anyone perform work for you.

Estimating has conventions, but it does not have rules. Quoting things in $/SF is done because it is an easy shortcut and reasonably easy to understand. However, it doesn't map precisely to actual cost. For example, the contractor you contacted may have calculated his install costs as a 'cost per unit of carpet ordered for each job' which is why you see the math working like that. It's not how I would do it, but there aren't any rules against it.

If the contractor says their price does not have any mistakes, then it is what it is. You just need to move on and talk to another installer if you don't like it. My carpet installer quotes $1.75-$2.00 per square foot for install, plus costs for specialty edge conditions, additional trips, etc.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tezer posted:

If a client told me to 'go gently caress myself' in an email, or even came close to that level of emotion, I would decline to work with them (and have done so). You are welcome to dislike a price that you have been quoted, but you need to be professional about how you communicate. No one is required to give you a certain price, and you are not entitled to have anyone perform work for you.

Estimating has conventions, but it does not have rules. Quoting things in $/SF is done because it is an easy shortcut and reasonably easy to understand. However, it doesn't map precisely to actual cost. For example, the contractor you contacted may have calculated his install costs as a 'cost per unit of carpet ordered for each job' which is why you see the math working like that. It's not how I would do it, but there aren't any rules against it.

If the contractor says their price does not have any mistakes, then it is what it is. You just need to move on and talk to another installer if you don't like it. My carpet installer quotes $1.75-$2.00 per square foot for install, plus costs for specialty edge conditions, additional trips, etc.

I was being hyperbolic. I'm pissed off because I've wasted a lot of time on a vendor who seems like they're trying to screw me, considering that Home Depot offered to do the job for $700 less while still rolling the cost of their labor into their supplies. The extent of emotion I have reached with this person in professional conversations is saying "I think you have made a mistake in measurement"

I understand the desire to signal to the rest of the forums that you are the best person, individually, but i want to take a moment to point out you wrote all this to defend the practice of wasting 30% of your supplies, because someone said they thought about telling a vendor to gently caress off

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 18, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just tell them it's too expensive and disengage. If you really want them to be the ones doing it then give them the Home Depot offer and ask if they can get closer. At that point the ball's in their court to give you a better offer if they want the business.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 18, 2022

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

slidebite posted:

I know nothing about this EIFS stuff. Is there a resource to read about it? It seems (from my quick googling) that it's very similar to how I understand stucco is done here?

Here is a short primer that discusses the difference between stucco and EIFS, as well as the difference between two types of EIFS (face sealed being the source of many problems).
https://www.buildingscience.com/documents/digests/bsd-146-eifs-problems-and-solutions

Possibly the most critical problem with face sealed EIFS is that it requires perfect installation - it does not forgive installation errors. As you might imagine, when it's specifically being chosen because it's the lowest cost option, perfect installation was probably never on the table in the first place.

I don't specify EIFS and really try not to work on existing installations. If we're doing a door replacement or something and need to mess with a couple of inches around an opening, we'll note in the contract that while we are touching the EIFS, we cannot warranty any of that work. Might not hold up if we actually got sued, but at least we're trying to warn people about the problem.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tiny Timbs posted:

Just tell them it's too expensive and disengage. At that point the ball's in their court to give you a better offer if they want the business.

Yeah, this is ultimately what I did. The person who gave my measurements is off today and can't explain themselves but when I told the story to their competitor the guy laughed and said he'd be outta business if his customers had stories like mine, so I've got them coming out to the house tomorrow to give me a better quote

edit: vvvvvvv- yeah, that's fair. I guess the whole point of the quote process is to make sure everybody's on the same page, and clearly this vendor and I aren't. I can't get the time back, though, and I wish I'd had more quotes lined up to begin with so I didn't have to waste more time on this. A lesson learned, if nothing else.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 18, 2022

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

^^At least the estimate was free (I'm hoping)

Mirthless posted:

I understand the desire to signal to the rest of the forums that you are the best person, individually, but i want to take a moment to point out you wrote all this to defend the practice of wasting 30% of your supplies, because someone said they thought about telling a vendor to gently caress off

I'm not defending the contractor you contacted. I'm pointing out that no matter how much the customer thinks a calculation is wrong, if the contractor disagrees it just is what it is. The next step is to move on to a different contractor, which is what I advised and what you are doing. We are in agreement.

Nothing got wasted, because you are not contracting with them.

Tezer fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 18, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

slidebite posted:

Cork? Wow. I've never heard of that. I thought anything cork was a fortune.
The problem with EIFS isn't that it's stucco per se, it's that it requires substantial installation work so that water doesn't get past the stucco and into the studs of the house. Originally EIFS was both the weather shield and the wall finish. This proved not to work. A new installation method has been developed that has a separate weather shield, so houses built after the EIFS lawsuits are less likely to have this problem.

eta: This is a bigger problem in the US because American houses are stick-built, meaning that the frame of the house is wood. If you get water on the wood, it deteriorates. If you're spraying stucco on a mortar-build house, this isn't an issue.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 18, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tezer posted:

Here is a short primer that discusses the difference between stucco and EIFS, as well as the difference between two types of EIFS (face sealed being the source of many problems).

It's not just face sealed that suffers from installation problems. When you're paying the lowest biding contractor they are picking up their labor from a home depot parking lot each morning and you get exactly the quality of work you'd expect for that.

The bulk of the most recent EIFS issues in my area were not face sealed. Because all of the houses that had that have already rotted away. They are drained EIFS that was simply installed wrong.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

True, no EIFS is free from sin

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tezer posted:

True, no EIFS is free from sin

Or rot.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Who exactly does homedepot have installing their carpet? Seems like the kind of thing I wouldn't want done by a high school summer student.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Who exactly does homedepot have installing their carpet? Seems like the kind of thing I wouldn't want done by a high school summer student.

Whichever local carpet contractors are so bad at what they do they don't have their own customers and a one plus year waiting list like every other good contractor of every type.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

When I built my current house I purposely avoided any of the elevations that included EIFS. I went all brick veneer and hardie.

My homeowners insurance is up for renewal in 2 months, and drat rates have gone up a ton. One company wants to insure my house for 630K... a house I bought brand new for 353K 4 years ago. The land is supposedly worth 60K, so I don't get how I need 630K of dwelling coverage. This coverage amount also messes with deductibles. A 2% deductible for wind/hail is pointless, I can pay out of pocket to have a new roof put on for less than 12K

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Is it replacement cost?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

skipdogg posted:

When I built my current house I purposely avoided any of the elevations that included EIFS. I went all brick veneer and hardie.

My homeowners insurance is up for renewal in 2 months, and drat rates have gone up a ton. One company wants to insure my house for 630K... a house I bought brand new for 353K 4 years ago. The land is supposedly worth 60K, so I don't get how I need 630K of dwelling coverage. This coverage amount also messes with deductibles. A 2% deductible for wind/hail is pointless, I can pay out of pocket to have a new roof put on for less than 12K

When we had homeowners, the policy was replacement cost and they assumed the stuff inside it was a percentage of your home value. Could it be that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Ok so finishing up long overdue bathroom Reno. I bought 8ft tall shower curtains and we'll they sure are. They're too long and the rod is all the way up.

Anyone know any fixes? Like special rings that are shorter? These weren't super expensive so not upset if I have to buy something new, but definitely want something ceiling ish.

I also bought a permanent shower rod instead of twisty but not going to install it untill this is figured out.