Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

GoodluckJonathan posted:

I took a peek and can only vaguely remember who these characters are. It doesn't help they were barely in Harrow. Given how difficult Harrow was to follow even reading DIRECTLY after Gideon I guess I need to re-read? Maybe there's a summary somewhere?

I keep re-reading but it always slides off my perfectly smooth brain. Not very many books treat me this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

mdemone posted:

I keep re-reading but it always slides off my perfectly smooth brain. Not very many books treat me this way.

I'm awful with names in general, and having 18 characters is too many for me to keep track of. When I do a reread pre-nona I'll probably keep a notebook next to me with them.

That's the downside of a kindle vs paper book, it's a pain flipping back and forth between the character list and wherever you are in the story.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

platero posted:

I'm awful with names in general, and having 18 characters is too many for me to keep track of. When I do a reread pre-nona I'll probably keep a notebook next to me with them.

That's the downside of a kindle vs paper book, it's a pain flipping back and forth between the character list and wherever you are in the story.

it helps that they're nearly all numbered, it helps having a cheat sheet of the houses as you read.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The audiobooks are good for that because the VA gives every character a very distinct voice, which makes them instantly recognizable even if you don't remember the name.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Khizan posted:

The audiobooks are good for that because the VA gives every character a very distinct voice, which makes them instantly recognizable even if you don't remember the name.

This. It’s also the only reason I know how to pronounce any of them, pronunciation guide be damned

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Moira Quirk’s take on Ianthe in the audiobooks definitely influenced how I imagine the character.

Ianthe is the worst.*

*the best

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ianthe and Silas Octakiseron are probably my two favorite characters in the first book, almost entirely on the strength of Quirk's voices for them. Ianthe in particular is just perfect.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Entropic posted:

Moira Quirk’s take on Ianthe in the audiobooks definitely influenced how I imagine the character.

Ianthe is the worst.*

*the best

Even worse than that.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Okay, maybe I'll give the audiobooks a shot. I usually hate them but I'm willing to try.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That's real good, what's the original? Just some picture of kids after idk prom or something?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
it's even a none pizza with left beef.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Entropic posted:

it's even a none pizza with left beef.

The thing that I admire most/makes me most angry about that reference in Harrow is that I didn’t know that it’s a meme until I started following this thread. The way it’s said in the book just makes it sound natural by the character who says it, at least in the audiobook.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

silvergoose posted:

That's real good, what's the original? Just some picture of kids after idk prom or something?

It's just some strangers on the subway who combined in an amusing way.

sebmojo posted:

it helps that they're nearly all numbered, it helps having a cheat sheet of the houses as you read.

I definitely kept track of most of the characters by number rather than name.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

DreamingofRoses posted:

The thing that I admire most/makes me most angry about that reference in Harrow is that I didn’t know that it’s a meme until I started following this thread. The way it’s said in the book just makes it sound natural by the character who says it, at least in the audiobook.

i think thats the thing that helps me tolerate the memes in the series so well-- they're applied fairly naturally, like you would if they're part of the normal vernacular of the people using them. I like them less when they stick out more, and I definitely remember there being a few of those, though I cant remember which specifically.

Jail for mother felt a little much to me iirc

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

An ARC of Nona sold for a grand yesterday on Ebay. That's insanity.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Ornamented Death posted:

An ARC of Nona sold for a grand yesterday on Ebay. That's insanity.

Well someone is about to have a conversation with Tor's legal team!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Humerus posted:

Well someone is about to have a conversation with Tor's legal team!

Publishers don't really care about people selling ARCs. Or rather, they'll grumble, but won't actually do anything.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ornamented Death posted:

Publishers don't really care about people selling ARCs. Or rather, they'll grumble, but won't actually do anything.

It's hella good publicity for something like that to happen anyway

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

DreamingofRoses posted:

… Goddamnit. Gideon is Dave.

Gideon is Dave is easy mode.

There was an interview where Muir mentioned that she was a fan of When They Cry and I was like GOD drat IT because loving hell, she's just Battler.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Ornamented Death posted:

That's interesting, I always figured they let it slide for indie stores because that would image suicide to go after them, but I thought doing it so openly would bring some sort of hammer down. I guess their bigger concern is someone uploading the whole book early, but I wonder if they would even deal with that because this series isn't megahuge anyway.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The usual argument against selling ARCs is that it's robbing the author and publisher of a sale, which is 100% not the case here. Only a collector is going to drop that kind of money, and they're still going to buy a copy (or five) when it's released.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

neongrey posted:

i think thats the thing that helps me tolerate the memes in the series so well-- they're applied fairly naturally, like you would if they're part of the normal vernacular of the people using them. I like them less when they stick out more, and I definitely remember there being a few of those, though I cant remember which specifically.

Jail for mother felt a little much to me iirc

Moira Quirk sold that line also. She’s way too good of an actress.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gideon isn't quite Dave, but they'd get along super well.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

t3isukone posted:

Gideon is Dave is easy mode.

There was an interview where Muir mentioned that she was a fan of When They Cry and I was like GOD drat IT because loving hell, she's just Battler.

Oh god

Oh god you're right :cripes:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Alecto is Beatrice and John is Kinzo?

Probably not but it'd be a funny development.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I'm just sitting here just imagining Beatrice saying, "Because I absolutely loving hate you. No offence."

It's beautiful

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm guessing I should get around to reading Umineko at some point.

I got it on steam.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Tamsyn has said it's not Homestuck because it is clearly Final Fantasy 10 and honestly that makes way more sense. When I first heard that I didn't believe it at all but now I can't unsee it. Resurrection Beasts = Sin, Heralds = Sinspawn, Jod = Jecht, Harrow = YunaLulu, Gideon = AuronTidus.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Tamsyn has said it's not Homestuck because it is clearly Final Fantasy 10 and honestly that makes way more sense. When I first heard that I didn't believe it at all but now I can't unsee it. Resurrection Beasts = Sin, Heralds = Sinspawn, Jod = Jecht, Harrow = YunaLulu, Gideon = AuronTidus.

Aw *come* on.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Aw *come* on.
Swear to god. I'm a literary critic and I interviewed her and asked about it, that's what she said. Not 100% sure whether she was taking the piss or not, but it's straight from the horse's mouth.

EDIT: I just realized how fake that sounds, but a ton of people on these forums know my real identity, if any of youse wanna speak up to confirm I'm not full of poo poo, feel free.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 24, 2022

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
(for the record I don't think any characters are direct analogues to any other characters in any ripoff way, influences are influences, and it's not really surprising that characters are composites of characters taken from other places, but also it's kinda fun to dig through those influences and figure out where characters came from creatively speaking)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

No no, I spoke vaguely.

That was a "oh come on Taz, yes that works very nicely" :3:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Griddle and Harrow I'm honestly not sure about, but the RB = Sin/Herald = Sinspawn thing was the first moment of "what the gently caress maybe she's not joking" and I've spent the last six months going insane trying to figure out who is who.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

mother FUCKER

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

neongrey posted:

mother FUCKER

Yeah this is the energy I was going for

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

That tracks and is hilarious I love these books

Is there a published interview where you asked her these questions? I'm curious what else she said

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

That tracks and is hilarious I love these books

Is there a published interview where you asked her these questions? I'm curious what else she said
That particular bit didn't make it off the cutting room floor, it wasn't really clear to me how serious/relevant it was. Re linking, I'm also sorta cagey about explicitly connecting my real name to my SA account right now (even though it's obvious), there's been some targeted harassment poo poo going on and I'm trying to keep my online footprint small. I am currently though, like right at this minute, trying to wrangle another interview for the Nona launch, and I'm gonna ask explicitly about FFX and make sure to include the answer, then flick it a few goons who post in this thread. Right now, for like ... the next ?2 months? I'm just gonna be a bit weird and cagey. Just checking who regularly posts in the thread though, cptn_dr knows me IRL and can verify I'm telling the truth. (also happy to just identify myself via DM to a mod or whatever)

The OTHER thing that came from that first interview was that I brought up 40k and she got this LOOK on her face, burst out laughing, then abruptly changed the subject.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 24, 2022

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

neongrey posted:

mother FUCKER

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

That particular bit didn't make it off the cutting room floor, it wasn't really clear to me how serious or relevant it was. Re linking, I'm also sorta cagey about explicitly connecting my real name to my SA account right now (even though it's obvious), there's been some targeted harassment poo poo going on and I'm trying to keep my online footprint small. I am currently though, like right at this minute, trying to wrangle another interview for the Nona launch, and I'm gonna ask explicitly about FFX and make sure to include the answer, then flick it a few goons who post in this thread. Right now, for like ... the next ?2 months? I'm just gonna be a bit weird and cagey. Just checking who regularly posts in the thread though, cptn_dr knows me IRL and can verify I'm telling the truth.

The OTHER thing that came from that first interview was that I brought up 40k and she got this LOOK on her face, burst out laughing, then abruptly changed the subject.
That's alright! I totally get wanting to keep internet identities separate. Im sorry to hear youre going through some stuff--people are terrible :( after the past few years I'm surprised more prominent internet personalities haven't just packed up and left. poo poo sucks!

I'd be very curious about the rest of her inspirations although that reaction to you mentioning 40k is really funny. I'm not a 40k fan but my roommate is and someone describing GtN as "Revolutionary Girl Utena meets 40k" is what sold me on it.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 24, 2022