Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
our company emptied everyone's personal bins every day even if there was 1 piece of trash in it

consolidating to the kitchen meant somewhere around 10000 less plastic bags being wasted per year

also healthy to move around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Blowdryer posted:

our company emptied everyone's personal bins every day even if there was 1 piece of trash in it

consolidating to the kitchen meant somewhere around 10000 less plastic bags being wasted per year

The sensible thing would be to empty them once a week or when they start to look full.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Blowdryer posted:

We waste so many plastic bags like this, but I know the custodians have no choice because they'd get yelled at for not doing their jobs if they didn't empty them anyway.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I had to put in a special request for a trashcan that isn't emptied daily by the custodian. It's just a normal trashcan but they still had to replace my original one (same design, just darker shade of gray) and I get occasional reminders that I have a special trashcan.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Machai posted:

Just pretend that HR does not exist. When confronted, act all incredulous and say you have never even heard of "Human Resources? You mean 'people'?"

We don’t have HR at my company. We have a People Department.

Through what I’m sure is a total coincidence, you can reach the People Department by emailing HR@company.com.

naem
May 29, 2011

Before People Department it was called Human Resources, and before HR it was Personnel, and before it was Personnel they just let people assault each other at work openly

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

naem posted:

before it was Personnel they just let people assault each other at work openly

It was okay though, because there were no women to see and everyone was drunk.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

naem posted:

Before People Department it was called Human Resources, and before HR it was Personnel, and before it was Personnel they just let people assault each other at work openly

The good old days, where men were men, women were also sometimes men (so they could enter the workforce), there was a typing pool of lonely single young women, and if you thought your boss was a piece of poo poo, well the parking lot's secluded enough for your purposes.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Question for someone in a big company - why do suppliers refuse to create work orders without a PO number? Is this just a computer thing?
I've just started creating my own numbers them happy ... "uh yeah thats PO 0001"

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Animerapist update.

Talked to my partner last night and convinced her to do something ASAP. This morning she had a meeting with her supervisor, her big boss, and HR. She laid it all out and her bosses were horrified and supportive, HR was all “hmmm yes, well did you ever message him back?” And ended with “well technically this does not constitute harassment it’s misuse of company equipment”. They asked her what she wanted done and she basically said she doesn’t want him to be able to interact with her under any conditions if he remains at the company. Also, HR admitted they didn’t know he was a rapist because a 3rd party company did the background check. Also they suggested a resolution of having the supervisor hold a meeting “to remind everyone to stay focused and not misuse company equipment!!!”

It sounds like they’re going to try and sweep it under the rug, but her managers have her back. I told her to get it all in writing and confirm that while the company may not consider it harassment, she feels harassed and reported it as such. I told her to make sure she goes through whatever reporting systems they have and get her manager to sign on so it’s in the system. I know plenty of lawyers and if this keeps up we’ll just let them handle it.

I doubt they’ll fire him unless he lied on his background check and they find out, but we’ll see.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

naem posted:

Whenever I hear "personnel" I can't help but think of this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4ELKHGOZ6M&t=27s

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Animerapist update.

Talked to my partner last night and convinced her to do something ASAP. This morning she had a meeting with her supervisor, her big boss, and HR. She laid it all out and her bosses were horrified and supportive, HR was all “hmmm yes, well did you ever message him back?” And ended with “well technically this does not constitute harassment it’s misuse of company equipment”. They asked her what she wanted done and she basically said she doesn’t want him to be able to interact with her under any conditions if he remains at the company. Also, HR admitted they didn’t know he was a rapist because a 3rd party company did the background check. Also they suggested a resolution of having the supervisor hold a meeting “to remind everyone to stay focused and not misuse company equipment!!!”

It sounds like they’re going to try and sweep it under the rug, but her managers have her back. I told her to get it all in writing and confirm that while the company may not consider it harassment, she feels harassed and reported it as such. I told her to make sure she goes through whatever reporting systems they have and get her manager to sign on so it’s in the system. I know plenty of lawyers and if this keeps up we’ll just let them handle it.

I doubt they’ll fire him unless he lied on his background check and they find out, but we’ll see.

Go to a lawyer now for consultation, do not wait. They just admitted to hiring a rapist without knowing it and their response isnt an immediate "whoa nelly what the gently caress????"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

evilpicard posted:

Question for someone in a big company - why do suppliers refuse to create work orders without a PO number? Is this just a computer thing?
I've just started creating my own numbers them happy ... "uh yeah thats PO 0001"
As someone who dabbled in purchasing in a MegaCorp in a previous life:

With PO number:
Automated invoice comes in from supplier saying "10 widgets PO 12345 please pay $10".
Some middle manager or entry level employee that had absolutely nothing to do with any of this but is for some reason involved in this process: "What's this? I'll look up the PO in our system, oh it exists OK I press money button"
(please note this is an idealised scenario)

Without PO number:
Automated invoice comes in from supplier saying "10 widgets ordered by NAME from DEPARTMENT on DATE please pay $10".
Some middle manager or entry level employee that had absolutely nothing to do with any of this but is for some reason involved in this process: "I don't know what this is or what it's for so I will deny payment and not ask or tell anyone about this ever"
Everyone actually involved in raising the PO: "Why has our supplier stopped returning our calls"

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 19, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Instead of hiring new people Im going to try and promote people on my team. If successful every single person on my team will have gotten a promotion since I joined.

The downside is they have to work for it and I want to believe they can do it but this is a genuine sink or swim moment due to my companies policies, if they don't succeed I can't put them back where they were before.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

evilpicard posted:

A purchase order is a legal document that you and the supplier have agreed to a price for the goods and/or services being rendered, and you agree to pay them whatever was agreed upon.

They collect costs under your purchase order to charge back as NRE and tooling charges, which should be under or equal to the estimate provided.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Barudak posted:

Go to a lawyer now for consultation, do not wait. They just admitted to hiring a rapist without knowing it and their response isnt an immediate "whoa nelly what the gently caress????"

:same:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I worked for a company once that would literally barter for goods and services, (think, we will give you 1,000 miami dolphins tickets seats 200 level in exchange for 250,000 in applebees giftcards which we will exchange for TV spots and a local media spokesperson to be named later) so our system had a button that I won't call a fake PO button but it seemingly generated a number out of the ether whose only job was to point back to the current document saying what you were getting.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

A purchase order is a legal document that you and the supplier have agreed to a price for the goods and/or services being rendered, and you agree to pay them whatever was agreed upon.

They collect costs under your purchase order to charge back as NRE and tooling charges, which should be under or equal to the estimate provided.
A PO can be part of the contract alongside the sales order and big companies will often use this for SOX compliance to make sure any ledger activity is actually tied off to goods and services rendered. But verbal authorization below certain thresholds has stood up as SOX compliant too so there's sales schemes where you just email or talk to someone and they fill out a sales order on their own side.

Relatedly the main point for asking for your PO is so they can add it to their SO which will assist SOX auditing or let them find the transaction with a reference you have handier than any of their document keys if you call in reference to the transaction and it's often a mandatory field in an ERP tracking all this crap so poo poo like your verbal authorization to order doesn't get lost in the ether. But similar processes existed when POs and SOs existed physically.

OP is basically doing the right thing in just giving any number they want in other words.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

PO's are useful for accounting. If accounting is on its toes it can prevent scams or wildly out of range bills from being paid. Most companies won't pay an invoice without a PO hence why suppliers demand them. Lots of times scammers will send invoices to companies with a PO number or the name of somebody they've talked to at the company for something innocuous like lights. If accounts payable isn't paying attention and simply pays the invoice, the scammer wins.

edit: in the same vein, if your erp or accounting is set up properly it can prevent unauthorized purchases from within the company or help point them out.

Tarkus fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 19, 2022

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

naem posted:

Ah, the Blizzard method of management

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

naem posted:

The annual budget meeting takes place in a sand-floored arena, with each director bringing their finest warriors. To the victor, the prize!
To the loser, the minutes.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I'm taking a course and we are posting on a discussion board about a hypothetical project where you need to migrate some individual physical servers into virtual servers and one part of the response asks what project management methodology we would use and almost everyone else chose Agile. Why the gently caress would that be a good fit when the project scope is a set thing? Isn't Agile about being...agile...and responding to changes in the project?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

naem posted:

Sometimes the old ways are still the best :hmmyes:

Machai posted:

I'm taking a course and we are posting on a discussion board about a hypothetical project where you need to migrate some individual physical servers into virtual servers and one part of the response asks what project management methodology we would use and almost everyone else chose Agile. Why the gently caress would that be a good fit when the project scope is a set thing? Isn't Agile about being...agile...and responding to changes in the project?

Question 1: 10 pts
What project management methodology would we use?

Question 2: 90 pts
Why?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Splicer posted:

As someone who dabbled in purchasing in a MegaCorp in a previous life:

With PO number:
Automated invoice comes in from supplier saying "10 widgets PO 12345 please pay $10".
Some middle manager or entry level employee that had absolutely nothing to do with any of this but is for some reason involved in this process: "What's this? I'll look up the PO in our system, oh it exists OK I press money button"
(please note this is an idealised scenario)

Without PO number:
Automated invoice comes in from supplier saying "10 widgets ordered by NAME from DEPARTMENT on DATE please pay $10".
Some middle manager or entry level employee that had absolutely nothing to do with any of this but is for some reason involved in this process: "I don't know what this is or what it's for so I will deny payment and not ask or tell anyone about this ever"
Everyone actually involved in raising the PO: "Why has our supplier stopped returning our calls"

That makes sense thanks.

I am the middle manager in this scenario, AP loves to try sneaking past 4 year old invoices so they don't have to admit mistakes or fix underlying problems lol.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I don't ever use purchase orders for anything I'm buying unless it's a new contruction. Once a supplier accepts me as a client I'm just calling and ordering parts/service as needed. If they really needed to go after me they would have an email from me saying "I approve this estimate"

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Machai posted:

Isn't Agile about being...agile...and responding to changes in the project?

you still have so much to learn

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Machai posted:

Not necessarily, it's used in other fields like manufacturing too (Toyota)

but it doesn't really matter because there's no such thing as a software project with fully defined requirements. People often don't actually know what they need until after you deliver them the wrong thing, which was exactly what they told you to make

Stuff always changes, so it's more about empowering the team responsible for the work with being able to decide how to divide and prioritize it, and tightening the feedback loop with the customer

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

tak posted:

Stuff always changes, so it's more about empowering the team responsible for the work with being able to decide how to divide and prioritize it, and tightening the feedback loop with the customer

The traditional problem being, in many (most?) workplaces the management would rather rip off and eat their own thumbs than empower their teams of workers, so the actual implementation involves doing all the parts that aren't this.

And on the one hand, yes, this means that those people just weren't doing agile right, but on the other hand *everyone knows this is the situation*, so it seems sort of irresponsible to keep running into obvious traps like "trying to implement agile in any workplace where things are bad enough that people even have to think about it".

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Like 80% of the responses are Agile. I think they all just googled lists of methods and took the first one because they all list Agile first.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Anyone who's not already in the field is only gonna recognize the styles with advertising behind them. It's like how non audio nerds only know about, like, Beats, Bose, and airpods.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Anytime I interview someone who has "Agile" on their CV I ask them what it means, about 20% of the time they don't actually know, about 75% of the time they say it means you run the project in sprints and have daily standups.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Does the old critical path method count? Can Agile wizard people get away without having to calculate one?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

evilpicard posted:

That makes sense thanks.

I am the middle manager in this scenario, AP loves to try sneaking past 4 year old invoices so they don't have to admit mistakes or fix underlying problems lol.

I once had AP pay an invoice from our Cisco consultants for $2500 without my approval. They hadn't provided their deliverable, and for some reason after getting paid for nothing they stopped answering my calls. I'd be a lot more put out if I'd lasted more than another month in that job.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Oh my loving GODDDDDD this company's corporate structure makes getting the simplest loving orders a whole thing!

I started using a genetically modified yeast that creates lactic acid in the tank prior to fermentation without the use of lactobacillus, so it can be used in a regular brewery without a risk of contamination. Before this I was using a sour pitch (lactobacillus starter) pre boil as per a Berliner Weisse or gose for souring. It was okay but a bit more tart than was wanted and breaks up the brew into two days.

Due to supply chain issues that souring yeast is not available at the moment, but this company's management only cares about producing this beer so we ordered sour pitch for another batch. That's fine, but I want this beer I'm shackled to to at least run smoothly so I tried thinking of another solution and remembered that there's a Japanese company that started fairly recently that sells bee yeast (?) that can sour in tank without contamination. We'd talked a bit before so I contact the guy to see what's available and he calls today. Long story short, the guy offers to send pa commercial sample, enough for a batch of beer, along with data sheets and commercial samples of products for the price of shipping (about 2k yen). In exchange he'd like whatever feedback I can give. No purchasing commitment or anything like that. I say it sounds good but I need to check with my boss. I explain the situation and, of course, I'm met with hemming and hawing about whether or not it would be possible. We'll need to run it up the chain of command. For basically free yeast. The sour pitch is like over 10k yen per batch. Jesus Christ.

Edit: Sorry for the novel. Just felt I should explain some sorta technical stuff. By way of an apology, plz enjoy this amazing album cover.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 19, 2022

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Escape From Noise posted:

Oh my loving GODDDDDD this company's corporate structure makes getting the simplest loving orders a whole thing!

I started using a genetically modified yeast that creates lactic acid in the tank prior to fermentation without the use of lactobacillus, so it can be used in a regular brewery without a risk of contamination. Before this I was using a sour pitch (lactobacillus starter) pre boil as per a Berliner Weisse or gose for souring. It was okay but a bit more tart than was wanted and breaks up the brew into two days.

Due to supply chain issues that souring yeast is not available at the moment, but this company's management only cares about producing this beer so we ordered sour pitch for another batch. That's fine, but I want this beer I'm shackled to to at least run smoothly so I tried thinking of another solution and remembered that there's a Japanese company that started fairly recently that sells bee yeast (?) that can sour in tank without contamination. We'd talked a bit before so I contact the guy to see what's available and he calls today. Long story short, the guy offers to send pa commercial sample, enough for a batch of beer, along with data sheets and commercial samples of products for the price of shipping (about 2k yen). In exchange he'd like whatever feedback I can give. No purchasing commitment or anything like that. I say it sounds good but I need to check with my boss. I explain the situation and, of course, I'm met with hemming and hawing about whether or not it would be possible. We'll need to run it up the chain of command. For basically free yeast. The sour pitch is like over 10k yen per batch. Jesus Christ.

Edit: Sorry for the novel. Just felt I should explain some sorta technical stuff. By way of an apology, plz enjoy this amazing album cover.

So I know a lot more about microbiology (plenty) than I do about brewing (almost nothing), but can't you keep using a yeast strain once you have a sample of it?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Atopian posted:

So I know a lot more about microbiology (plenty) than I do about brewing (almost nothing), but can't you keep using a yeast strain once you have a sample of it?

Yes, but it's hard to get in the quantities you'd need for industrial brewing. You'd also need to be really on the ball in regards to cross contamination with different strains, which most brewers aren't.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Atopian posted:

To a certain point. Unless you have a serious lab set-up though, most places stop re-pitching after about 5 uses because there's a risk of mutations. There are solutions for this with much larger breweries. It also depends what you're making. Yeast used to brew something fairly high in alcohol is not likely to be viable afterwards. You also want to avoid taking yeast from a darker beer for use in a lighter one as it could impact flavor. Same with going from hoppy to less hoppy beers (say IPA to stout) as the hop character could carry over. This beer is also fruited and double dry hopped, with one hop charge thrown in along with the fruit during fermentation, so any yeast left at the end of fermentation is mixed with fruit puree and hops, making it unusable for a second fermentation. There can also be issues with viability collecting yeast from kettle sours (Berliner Weisse, gose, etc. Beers soured with lactobacillus prior to the boil and transfer to the fermentation tank) due to the low pH of the finished beer.

This is why production schedules can save you a lot of money. By planning out what beers you make, and what beers you can make from yeast harvested from previous batches you can save a lot of money on yeast. This is also why bigger places often invest in yeast propagation tanks, centrifuges, laboratories, microbiologists, etc.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 19, 2022

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Answers appreciated!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Atopian posted:

Answers appreciated!

No worries! I'm not good at science. I wish I was though. I find yeast stuff pretty interesting but I'm pretty dumb.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Jaguars! posted:

Does the old critical path method count? Can Agile wizard people get away without having to calculate one?

I keep a waterfall schedule as a list of 'all tasks that need to be done to complete our project' and charted the critical path through that.

It helped by making it easy to scope the correct minimum of work that sprint, then we could pull in tasks to help go faster.

Once we nailed down the scope we abandoned agile completely because we're working to standards now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Watching the yearly prerecorded department meeting. Presentation key points includes a list of names of every senator and house representative we lobbied this year to kill the tax bill.

Good stuff.