Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I am seeing several background guys and backgrounds that care about having the initiative or completing dungeons.

I am not seeing any background guys or backgrounds that can take the initiative or venture into the dungeon.

This does not bode well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So I'm gonna put the jank 5c spirit deck aside for now and focus on making a good Riveteer deck since I just opened a second Ziatora.

Viashinos are cool anyway.

Edit: Since Riveteers have black, would Okiba Reckoner Raid work well with it?

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 18, 2022

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD

MonsieurChoc posted:

So I'm gonna put the jank 5c spirit deck aside for now and focus on making a good Riveteer deck since I just opened a second Ziatora.

Viashinos are cool anyway.

I've been running Kami war jank on arena recently and mostly relied on early izzet control and treasure generation to rush out the Kami war. Don't have the full deck list but it relied on expressive iterations, prismari command, fading hope, and big score in the early game. I also run 4x copies of the mirror breaker saga, since it ramps, loots, and then (assuming I play Kami war the turn after the fable) allows me create a haste copy of the Kami dragon the turn it comes out.

If you're doing it in paper though you're gonna have a hard time if you don't already have a lot of the rare lands (pathways, slow lands) cause the treasure can't fix you all the way generally. Any five color deck is gonna require a pretty specific mana base to get going.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

whiggles posted:

I've been running Kami war jank on arena recently and mostly relied on early izzet control and treasure generation to rush out the Kami war. Don't have the full deck list but it relied on expressive iterations, prismari command, fading hope, and big score in the early game. I also run 4x copies of the mirror breaker saga, since it ramps, loots, and then (assuming I play Kami war the turn after the fable) allows me create a haste copy of the Kami dragon the turn it comes out.

If you're doing it in paper though you're gonna have a hard time if you don't already have a lot of the rare lands (pathways, slow lands) cause the treasure can't fix you all the way generally. Any five color deck is gonna require a pretty specific mana base to get going.

Yeah mana-fixing is the hard part, though I do have a bunch of 2-color land and there's fetch lands and the lands that generate a mana of the color of your choice and stuff.

I remember the old planeshift mechanic of cards that got stronger for every type of basic land you had. Wonder if they're gonna bring something like back with Dominaria United.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I imagine this is just something you've got to work out with your commander group, but I swear a good half the commander players I've ever chatted with while playing modern or something all seem to just want to play whacky "forced random target" decks or big ole pillow fort nobody gets to win decks

Seems exhausting trying to get 4 people all in the same mindset to have decks that would be fun together

This is my experience too. EDH is really fun but for better or for worse everyone has different expectations and how a lot of people want to play the game isn’t compatible with how a lot of other people want to play the game.

There was a big hullabaloo here a few weeks ago where some guy stormed out of a store and made a post bitching and moaning on the Reddit EDH discord because he thought some guy Genesis Waving for a bunch and won using Lab Man Jace after an hour long game was pub stomping lol.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah mana-fixing is the hard part, though I do have a bunch of 2-color land and there's fetch lands and the lands that generate a mana of the color of your choice and stuff.

I remember the old planeshift mechanic of cards that got stronger for every type of basic land you had. Wonder if they're gonna bring something like back with Dominaria United.

Main concern with a 3 colour manabase relying on the family fetch lands, or cycling lands, and the Innistrad duals (on the first couple turns) is that your lands are going to be entering tapped. So one drops like Okiba Saga are going to be less valuable since you'll ideally play your tap lands turn 1 and untapped lands on turns 2+.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I'm trying to improve the mana base in my (budget) cube. Currently, I have the full cycle of lifegain lands in (alongside the checklands and scrylands - sadly I don't have any shocks or fetches). But they're kinda junky and I'd like to replace them. Unfortunately, my options are limited at the moment; all I have access to besides them (and the guildgates which are just as bad) is all five allied reveal lands, the black/white reveal land, the red/white fast land, and all five battle lands (the "control two basic lands" ones). Do I swap them in? On one hand, they're certainly better than the lifegain lands, but since I don't have all of them, some colors are going to end up with shittier mana than other colors. On the other hand, the lifegain lands are already an extra lovely deal for certain colors that practically don't ever want them to begin with, so it could only improve things to e.g. swap in the red/white fast land. I could bite the bullet on the other reveal lands, but until then, what do?

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 18, 2022

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Here's the full skeleton with the 32 compartments. It's gonna weigh like 300lb lmao.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I'm trying to improve the mana base in my (budget) cube. Currently, I have the full cycle of lifegain lands in (alongside the checklands and scrylands - sadly I don't have any shocks or fetches). But they're kinda junky and I'd like to replace them. Unfortunately, my options are limited at the moment; all I have access to besides them (and the guildgates which are just as bad) is all five allied reveal lands, the black/white reveal land, the red/white fast land, and all five battle lands (the "control two basic lands" ones). Do I swap them in? On one hand, they're certainly better than the lifegain lands, but since I don't have all of them, some colors are going to end up with shittier mana than other colors. On the other hand, the lifegain lands are already an extra lovely deal for certain colors that practically don't ever want them to begin with, so it could only improve things to e.g. swap in the red/white fast land. I could bite the bullet on the other reveal lands, but until then, what do?

If it's a cube just proxy whatever you want dude. Optimize for gameplay.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

I really dig the art on this, reminds me of Hoover's illustrations

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I like that the curve in the background kind of joins up with the legendary frame at the top

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

How budget are we talking about here?

Pathways and the Slowlands from Midnight Hunt and Crimson Vow are all like $5 a piece right now. The 10 etb tapped dual color creature lands (e.g. Celestial Colonnade) are really cheap as well. The filter lands just reprinted in Double Masters are around $10 (except for Mystic Gate UW land which is at 30?? wth). The AFR mono-colored creature lands are pretty cheap right now too but aren't going to help with fixing.

My cube I just bit the bullet and bought shocks and triomes for ~$15 a piece but use proxy fetches.

For very cheap lands I'd consider including different combinations based on the themes present in each color combination. For instance, if a cube had a Red-Green theme based around Landfall and a White-Red Aggro theme - I'd consider Gruul Turf in the RG-land flex slot and maybe Furycalm Snarl in WR. So, what are your themes you're trying to make happen?

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh my other fave jank tech for that deck is running two soul guide lanterns alongside a few magma opus. The opus is always a good KO punch but can also be discarded in early game to make a treasure (not very efficient but okay in a pinch). but the best moments come about when I empty grave yards and then discard magma on my opponents end step and then create a hasted copy of Kami war on my next turn, forcing them to pick the opus to put back in my hand and getting +8 attack on the flying, trample copy oooooh boy I'm getting jazzed just thinking on it!!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

AngryBooch posted:

So, what are your themes you're trying to make happen?

The remaining reveal lands are like €2 each, so it's not out of my range, really, and probably the option I'll just settle on for now. I don't generally like proxying (especially for cards I can afford), and this isn't a powered cube - or even a high power cube - anyway, so I don't feel much of a need to, and I can live without fetches. RG does have land matters as their primary theme, and I did consider karoos for that reason, but it still leaves UG (proliferate), UR (spells) and BG (non-reanimator graveyard stuff) with less good lands, as it stands. The other main themes are lifegain, discard matters (cycling/madness), reanimator, flicker, artifacts and enchantments, but WR is also the colors with the most aggro potential in general. I do happen to have the WR fastland, but in general I'd like to stick below €10/card for the bigger, splashier cards (and the average across the entire cube is more like €1-2/card), which puts fastlands (well, some of them - prices vary wildly for some reason) and shocks out of my range. Still, lands may well be the bullet worth biting. I'm not sure, honestly. It is at least theoretically true that some colors need faster lands than others; but I'd be happy enough just sticking reveal lands in that slot and calling it a day, if I had them on hand.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 18, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

whiggles posted:

Oh my other fave jank tech for that deck is running two soul guide lanterns alongside a few magma opus. The opus is always a good KO punch but can also be discarded in early game to make a treasure (not very efficient but okay in a pinch). but the best moments come about when I empty grave yards and then discard magma on my opponents end step and then create a hasted copy of Kami war on my next turn, forcing them to pick the opus to put back in my hand and getting +8 attack on the flying, trample copy oooooh boy I'm getting jazzed just thinking on it!!

I really gotta decide if I wanna got for a Spirit deck of a Kami War deck.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The whole point of group hug decks, IMO is to just power the game to the end. Like if I start the game casting Collective Voyage so that we all get to move from T1 to t4 so the game goes by faster when everyone gets to cast everything.

Just, please be kind enough to kill me last for my services.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i always thought the point of group hug decks is that you're incentivizing players to not kill you so that you can quietly establish your gameplan and then combo off to win out of 'nowhere'

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

flatluigi posted:

i always thought the point of group hug decks is that you're incentivizing players to not kill you so that you can quietly establish your gameplan and then combo off to win out of 'nowhere'

Win cons take valuable slots away from Truce and Temporary Truce. Do you really expect me to cut New Frontiers and Gate to the Aether?

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

flatluigi posted:

Group hug decks also usually give you incentives to attack other players so they usually end up less damaged or resource starved or their group hug cards help them a little bit more so they gain more value out of them.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I imagine this is just something you've got to work out with your commander group, but I swear a good half the commander players I've ever chatted with while playing modern or something all seem to just want to play whacky "forced random target" decks or big ole pillow fort nobody gets to win decks

Seems exhausting trying to get 4 people all in the same mindset to have decks that would be fun together

I got to try cEDH with a loaner deck recently, and while plenty of the other issues with EDH remain present, it did seem to avoid the social tensions of the "try to win but not too hard" type of play.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Its never happened in the entire history of the format.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Pick up games with strangers are obnoxious minefields, but established playgroups where everyone is on the same wavelength are a different matter.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Some of the best games I've ever had were with goons on our discord over webcam back in like 2020 when going to the LGS was a bad idea.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

*sitting down at a chess board table in the park across from an elderly gentleman in a newsboy cap" hi, what kind of openings do you use and how fast do you expect to win? I'm looking to arrange the pieces in the shape of goatse personally

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Smh if you don't both open with bongcloud attack.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Silhouette posted:

It's like a lovely Shadrix Silverquill

this and Gluntch are perfect for 2 vs 2, even better when across and not side by side (I know im the only one playing like this, but it owns)

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Its never happened in the entire history of the format.

Play magic the way it was designed to be played. There are so many fun and cheap formats around.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Edit: My whole collection is for sale. If you buy collections, this one's pretty dank. Modern era. New post in the MTG buying/selling thread in SA-Mart :)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3679632&perpage=40&pagenumber=471#post523566051

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 19, 2022

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

kalel posted:

*sitting down at a chess board table in the park across from an elderly gentleman in a newsboy cap" hi, what kind of openings do you use and how fast do you expect to win? I'm looking to arrange the pieces in the shape of goatse personally

That's not a fair comparison, because different games have different goals and different levels of complexity. You could point those same chess players to rock/paper/scissors or tic/tac/toe for your example of "lol obviously you should play to win!!!", but it's pretty obvious those players wouldn't be happy to do that either because neither of those games is compatible with what they're trying to do ("think critically" as opposed to "win via luck" or "come to a draw with competent play"). MtG has a lot of tools to mess around with, and a large subset of those are simply not designed to be efficient at winning conventional games or in conventional games. There's room for players that want to mess around with that sort of thing, even if that isn't appealing to everyone. That's why it actually matters to have a ten-second chat before charging into a pick-up game; commander doesn't have the same inherent assumptions on What The Goal Is that the other formats do.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Edit: My whole collection is for sale. If you buy collections, this one's pretty dank. Modern era. New post in the MTG buying/selling thread in SA-Mart :)

Link, please.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Okay, so I tried to improvise a Riveteers deck with the bunch of cards I impulse purchased over the last couple of months since Kamigawa came out. It's obviously unfocused and probably too big (65 cards), any tips and criticism is welcome since the whole idea is to get better.

My lovely deck posted:

Riveteers First Attempt
Ominous Parcel x 1
Eater of Virtue x 2
Sticky Fingers x 2
Goldhound x 2
Hungry for More x1
Body Dropper x 1
Tenacious Underdog x 1
Riveteers Requisitioner x 1
Mayhem Patrol x 1
Riveteers Initiate x 1
Prizefight x 1
Civic Gardener x 1
Gala Greeters x 1
Mirror Box x 1
Crew Captain x 1
Riveteers Charm x 2
Professional Face-Breaker x 1
Pyre-Sledge Arsonist x 1
Most Wanted x 2
Jewel Thief x 1
Mr Orfeo, the Boulder x 1
Ognis, the Dragon's Lash x 1
Unleash the Inferno x 1
Ziatora's Envoy x 1
Hidetsugu, Devouring Chaos x 1
Involuntary Employment x 2
Plasma Jockey x 1
Girder Goons x 2
Masked Bandits x 1
Ziatora, the Incinerator x 2

Bloodfell Caves x 2
Jungle Hollow x 1
Rugged Highlands x 1
Racer's Ring x 2
Tramway Station x 2
Mountains x 7
Forest x 7
Swamp x 5

Also no sideboard yet since I have no clue how to build a good sideboard.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Okay, so I tried to improvise a Riveteers deck with the bunch of cards I impulse purchased over the last couple of months since Kamigawa came out. It's obviously unfocused and probably too big (65 cards), any tips and criticism is welcome since the whole idea is to get better.

Way too many 1s and 2 ofs. Your deck won't be consistent. You should figure out the cards you want to draw every game and have 4 of them. Cards you want to draw at least one of but aren't sad if that's it: 3. Go from there.

And yes, you want to get down to 60 cards. For consistency.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Couch Life posted:

Way too many 1s and 2 ofs. Your deck won't be consistent. You should figure out the cards you want to draw every game and have 4 of them. Cards you want to draw at least one of but aren't sad if that's it: 3. Go from there.

Yeah that's gonna take some buys I think.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Where are you planning on playing this deck? In tournaments? Causally with friends? Something else? Curious why you want a sideboard.

What's your budget?

Why is Mirror Box in this deck?

There's many more questions that can come after those are answered.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Couch Life posted:

Tbf a first attempt does actually need a higher then average amount of 1 and 2 ofs so you can iterate with the cards that worked and remove the ones that didnt during playtests

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

Where are you planning on playing this deck? In tournaments? Causally with friends? Something else? Curious why you want a sideboard.

Mostly casually, I don't think I'm gonna go tournaments. I'm still trying to find a playgroup irl, haha. Probably gonna go to drafts and pre-release and stuff though. Not sure if I'm gonna go for a sideboard at all, yeah.

Lone Goat posted:

What's your budget?

I don't have one in mind for now, but since I do have a job I have money for hobbies. I shouldn't spend too much until I get a good playgroup going, but I can spend.

Lone Goat posted:

Why is Mirror Box in this deck?

I got a couple legendaries including some in double so for Ziatora/Eater of virtue shenanigans. It's an easy cut, yeah.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbf a first attempt does actually need a higher then average amount of 1 and 2 ofs so you can iterate with the cards that worked and remove the ones that didnt during playtests

Also right now I mostly don't have triples and quadruples of cards, haha. I got like 5 Okiba Reckoner Raids, so whenever I make a deck it goes in I'm putting 4 of those bad boys.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also right now I mostly don't have triples and quadruples of cards, haha. I got like 5 Okiba Reckoner Raids, so whenever I make a deck it goes in I'm putting 4 of those bad boys.

Sharpie proxies for playtesting is a time-honored tradition.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

HootTheOwl posted:

Link, please.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3679632&perpage=40&pagenumber=471#post523566051

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

yeah definitely get some proxies going, that way when you do find a deck you like you can buy the cards you want straight up instead of wasting time and money buying cards you won't use later like I did when I first started X(