Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

the popes toes posted:

(I had the same job Vilerat did, and got out some time ago).
EVE Online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is anyone sure Russia even has functional nukes at this point given how bad everything else has gone?

This is kind of the point I'm trying to make. Every single time NATO does anything or a country tries to join NATO Russia threatens nuclear missiles. It's so loving boring because they aren't actually going to fire them or could. They might not even have effective first strike capability. You know we always hear how the Russian nuclear missile program gets all the funding and isn't hosed with. I wonder if that's just a very nice veil which is hiding the most corrupt part of the Russian military. And why wouldn't they right? I mean the Russian citizens know there's a ton of money going into nuclear weapons, so do the oligarchs so if they know there's a an opportunity they are going to jump on it. Not saying nuclear proliferation but just straight up more Russian corruption.

At this point, Russias nuclear arsenal may just not AS scary as it was in like 1968. No this isn't to say it's still terrifying, but I think that if Russia was called upon the fire these things and half of them failed it would be an extreme embarrassment and all the Russians would be dead. However on the other hand Russian knows for a fact that the United States nuclear arsenal is always operating very very well. And before anyone says that I am aware that Russia is relying on submarine launched nuclear weapons as their deterrent.

And I think this is part of the discussion here because of the fact that Russia likes to threaten this when they're backed into a corner that they're not sure how to fix. They hosed up and they know it, Finland and Sweden are definitely going to join NATO which wasn't going to happen before they entered ukraine. So now NATO is literally a hundred kilometers from St Petersburg. I mean it becomes a loving joke that the whole war is based on keeping NATO at a good distance from Russia's solar system. And I mean like St Petersburg Moscow, etc. And NATO ends up being even closer than before.

Oh and by the way Ukraine is now sieging Kursk oblast.
https://t.me/zhest_belgorod/11929

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 19, 2022

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Remember that the US and Russia inspect each other's nuclear armaments as part of various treaties. So we each probably have a decent idea of the other party's maintenance quality for these weapons, even if it's been a few years. Both parties also have more than enough nuclear ordnance that if even 50%--hell, even if 10%--worked it would be catastrophic beyond anything known in human history.

They are not worth loving around and finding out. The good news is that everyone with nukes--including Putin-run Russia--still seems to understand that.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Wildeyes posted:

So why did Putin decide to invade Ukraine during the Biden administration? Well, according to a former National Security Council advisor, because he got sick of explaining geopolitical issues to Trump and thought it would be easier to negotiate with someone who knew basic poo poo about the world.

Not sure how true this is, but it does make for a funny headline.

Uh that seems incredibly, incredibly stupid from Putin’s side. If you already have to explain everything to Trump, it theoretically should be easy for you to convince him your invasion is just. It should be like conspiracy theorists convincing Joe Rogan that Australians can’t grow their own food.

If this is true, Putin clearly has lost grip of reality.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Wildeyes posted:

So why did Putin decide to invade Ukraine during the Biden administration? Well, according to a former National Security Council advisor, because he got sick of explaining geopolitical issues to Trump and thought it would be easier to negotiate with someone who knew basic poo poo about the world.

Russia's biggest mistake of the war, because Trump, not knowing anything about Ukraine except that they didn't help him smear the Bidens, would absolutely not have given a poo poo.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Slugworth posted:

EVE Online?

No, didn't know he was an EVE Online dude.

Speaking of, has all this poo poo soured the online gaming community? I know Ukraine asked the eSports community to ban Russian gamers, but wasn't sure if the all the understandable vitriol had invaded those spaces yet.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

the popes toes posted:

Speaking of, has all this poo poo soured the online gaming community? I know Ukraine asked the eSports community to ban Russian gamers, but wasn't sure if the all the understandable vitriol had invaded those spaces yet.

Vilerat ran the Goon version of the state department in Eve, while working for the real state department. From what I understand he was on comms doing his space job, when the shooting started in Bengazi.

Can't speak for other games, but in Eve there are people on both sides that play with Goons. Basically, the policy is just shut the gently caress up about it. Were all playing a game to have an escape from reality.

With that said, Goons are currently skirmishing with a coalition that is led by Russian's. And the leader of the Russian coalition has accused goons of starting a war in game, while they have limited capabilities to defend due to the war in Ukraine. It's Bullshit as they started the skirmish by attacking our allies, and Goons were defending them for months before the invasion of Ukraine.

As far as eSports and Eve online, it doesn't really exist outside the Alliance Tournament, and that only happens once a year. I doubt they will restrict Russians from taking part when that time comes around.

Magugu fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 19, 2022

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

jeffreyw posted:

Uh that seems incredibly, incredibly stupid from Putin’s side. If you already have to explain everything to Trump, it theoretically should be easy for you to convince him your invasion is just. It should be like conspiracy theorists convincing Joe Rogan that Australians can’t grow their own food.

It's also funny that he apparently planned to have direct negotiations with the US president, and yet (as far as I can tell) the US hasn't had any negotiations with Russia since the invasion started, much less any between the two leaders.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

the popes toes posted:

Rip Sean Smith, he let me shoot blues.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

jeffreyw posted:

Disagree - I think the point is that Biden was supposed to be predictable if the war went according to plan, whereas Trump was the equivalent of a sleep deprived 5 year old with ADHD. I'm thinking specifically back to the several times senior WH officials (or other gov't employees) said things along the lines of "We were trying to figure out how to spin/cover up this news and Trump just...tweeted it out."

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

the popes toes posted:

The developer Wargaming, which makes all those arcadey tank and ship games and was based primarily out of Minsk and St Petersburg severed their ties with both, which was a surprisingly strong move given how costly that'll be for the remnant of the company that's going to continue their international operations from Cyprus. Oddly enough, I haven't seen a whole lot of Putin stans in chat, just lots of let's go Brandon.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

Disagree - I think the point is that Biden was supposed to be predictable if the war went according to plan, whereas Trump was the equivalent of a sleep deprived 5 year old with ADHD. I'm thinking specifically back to the several times senior WH officials (or other gov't employees) said things along the lines of "We were trying to figure out how to spin/cover up this news and Trump just...tweeted it out."

The premise that Trump is some insane wildcard is what I have a problem with. He really isn’t, he might do bone headed things like tweet out that he poo poo his pants but ultimately you know exactly where he stands (or not stand on issues he doesn’t care about) on most issues. There shouldn’t be any difficulty for Putin to convince Trump to look the other way and conservatives would follow Trump’s lead because he was the Republican Party (and arguably still is).

Biden is also predictable in that he wouldn’t immediately throw up the white flag and sue for peace like the article suggests because of his age and politics.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

jeffreyw posted:

The premise that Trump is some insane wildcard is what I have a problem with. He really isn’t, he might do bone headed things like tweet out that he poo poo his pants but ultimately you know exactly where he stands (or not stand on issues he doesn’t care about) on most issues. There shouldn’t be any difficulty for Putin to convince Trump to look the other way and conservatives would follow Trump’s lead because he was the Republican Party (and arguably still is).

Biden is also predictable in that he wouldn’t immediately throw up the white flag and sue for peace like the article suggests because of his age and politics.

trump was unquestionably bizarrely unpredictable as far as foreign policy concerned, probably because he knew less than nothing about, like, anything important to american foreign policy.

look no further than the suleimani killing

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Trump was essentially "I was elected to lead, not to read" except he was also a coward. So he was unpredictable in the sense of he knew nothing and respected no norms, but he was consistently avoiding direct confrontation f.e. Turkey and Syrian Kurt's.

Hindsight being 20/20, he would've definitely been a better president to invade under.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
if you try to join nato, i swear by the good lord in the heavens above that i will lose my loving poo poo and demonstrate why that was a good idea, repeatedly

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Magugu posted:

With that said, Goons are currently skirmishing with a coalition that is led by Russian's. And the leader of the Russian coalition has accused goons of starting a war in game, while they have limited capabilities to defend due to the war in Ukraine. It's Bullshit as they started the skirmish by attacking our allies, and Goons were defending them for months before the invasion of Ukraine
So the Russians started a war, didn't get the steamroll they wanted, and immediately started blaming any and everyone else.
Now there's a familiar story.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Kavros posted:

if you try to join nato, i swear by the good lord in the heavens above that i will lose my loving poo poo and demonstrate why that was a good idea, repeatedly

It's honestly a trip to see how NATO went from, like, a questionably regarded relic of the cold war where pundits and politicians were asking 'Is NATO still necessary? Do we really want to die over defending Estonia?' to where it is today in less than 3 months.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's honestly a trip to see how NATO went from, like, a questionably regarded relic of the cold war where pundits and politicians were asking 'Is NATO still necessary? Do we really want to die over defending Estonia?' to where it is today in less than 3 months.

Why should a responsible country shave so many meaningful points from their GDP merely to be well-strapped for war? It's laughable. War in Europe? Please, we've come so far. Would you like to tour our factory?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
:nms: su-34 radio intercept after being hit. Warning system lists engines on fire and the pilot tells her (warning system) to settle down, screams at the end
https://mobile.twitter.com/Kochevenko/status/1527001827451064320

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Risky Bisquick posted:

:nms: su-34 radio intercept after being hit. Warning system lists engines on fire and the pilot tells her (warning system) to settle down, screams at the end
https://mobile.twitter.com/Kochevenko/status/1527001827451064320
Someone translated.:

https://twitter.com/andriytw/status/1527014926279135234?s=21&t=UpF9q70XrmG9BDqqvPgxWw

https://twitter.com/andriytw/status/1527017839101628418?s=21&t=KIxKtmp0gK9eHFsZVWYzog

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Is the woman's voice the in plane computer system audio warning? Like pull up warning?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

At this point, Russias nuclear arsenal may just not AS scary as it was in like 1968. No this isn't to say it's still terrifying, but I think that if Russia was called upon the fire these things and half of them failed it would be an extreme embarrassment and all the Russians would be dead. However on the other hand Russian knows for a fact that the United States nuclear arsenal is always operating very very well. And before anyone says that I am aware that Russia is relying on submarine launched nuclear weapons as their deterrent.

For a long time, the nuclear arming codes to the US arsenal as transmitted from the president were all zeroes. The nuke forces here are also prone to the missilemen having worsened mental health due to the isolation they have in the missile commands. The US forces are probably better maintained and all compared to Russia but the US strategic forces are by no means tip top 100%

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Especially since it wouldn’t be that politically difficult for [...] Sweden to throw the Kurds under the bus.
Even ignoring the rule of law and other such silly things, we're heading for an election in September and the Kurds generally tend to be very sympathetic* towards the Social Democrats, the current ruling party, so they definitely don't want to alienate that group. Plus to even pass the vote of no confidence our current government had to make a deal with MP Amineh Kakabaveh, an Iranian Kurd and former Peshmerga child soldier, where the Social Democrats had to deepen their ties with the (Kurdish) Democratic Union Party of Syria.

* At least this is my impression, I have no numbers to back it up.

kissekatt fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 19, 2022

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Zhanism posted:

Is the woman's voice the in plane computer system audio warning? Like pull up warning?
Yes.

Deflategate Retrospective
Jul 22, 2002

Wildeyes posted:

A man so stupid, he could not fulfill his role of the useful idiot.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Atreiden posted:

https://twitter.com/GuyChazan/status/1526898278494834691
https://www.ft.com/content/2cae8777-4423-4596-b3d5-e5c5ff93bbf9

It only took them 3 months of war and genocide to realise that maybe Germany shouldn't pay for a Russian agent.
God, if only we'd take the hint in the states.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Russian nukes not working doesn't sound cool at all. Nuclear UXO landing in all the wrong places. "who's trying to dismantle a dodgy russian nuke today" isn't the guessing game I want to be playing.

the popes toes posted:

Russia has a big presence in competitive Counterstrike and a couple of big Russian teams were banned from competing, which in practice meant the players all went anyway but played under a different team name and without branding and stuff. One of the teams put the roster up for sale and got bought out by an American company. Other than that it's not had a whole lot of effect, the widely regarded best team in the world is Ukrainian run but with 3 Russians and 2 Ukrainians and they've supposedly stuck together pretty well, they're certainly still putting up results.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Deformed Church posted:

"who's trying to dismantle a dodgy russian nuke today" isn't the guessing game I want to be playing.

What would be a good procedure for dismantling a dodgy nuclear bomb, where you're afraid that it'll detonate in a nuclear explosion? I think the safest procedure would be to just whack it hard enough (like hitting it with machine gun fire or throwing another bomb at it) to destroy the detonation mechanism. This might scatter the radioactive material in the vicinity, but should cause no actual fission to occur, and then you're left with a standard radioactive cleanup job.

Could also just get a Ukrainian farmer to tow it away and dump it in the swamp.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Give it a week and there will be multiple Eastern European youtubers doing teardown videos.
Then Leatherman will bring out a new multitool with a special adapter for them.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

I can't really make sense of these announcements. For instance, the Crimea is a non-starter for a host of reasons. For one, it would be extremely tough to invade and - as acknowledged by Zelensky himself - doing do would raise the very real likelihood of Putin going nuclear to protect "Russian" soil. Not to mention the likelihood of such an offensive alienating western support.

I take it they're just positioning to extract maximum bargaining power when the negotiations start in earnest? We saw a similar pattern of asking for the moon in their initial draft of the security guarantees scheme where they asked for protections above and beyond Article 5 (and support for their EU bid)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PerilPastry posted:

I take it they're just positioning to extract maximum bargaining power when the negotiations start in earnest? We saw a similar pattern of asking for the moon in their initial draft of the security guarantees scheme where they asked for protections above and beyond Article 5 (and support for their EU bid)

yeah that's like Rule Zero of negotiations

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

PerilPastry posted:

Of course. It makes no sense to set goals low while international support is still strong and the army is fighting to secure that position.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Athas posted:

What would be a good procedure for dismantling a dodgy nuclear bomb, where you're afraid that it'll detonate in a nuclear explosion? I think the safest procedure would be to just whack it hard enough (like hitting it with machine gun fire or throwing another bomb at it) to destroy the detonation mechanism. This might scatter the radioactive material in the vicinity, but should cause no actual fission to occur, and then you're left with a standard radioactive cleanup job.

Imaginining the five properly experienced Moldovan machine gunners getting called into a meeting where the officers are going "so we need someone go to shoot that nuke, any volunteers?"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

the popes toes posted:

War Thunder, the big russian tank/planes/ships war game has disabled the chat following the start of the war, and has now re-introduced it with heavy moderation. The population of this game is 70% Russian, the devs are russian and there are prominent talks of "russian bias" in the game for years now, so there was some concern that things might get ugly. I know that the game has also lost some players.
Same with Escape From Tarkov, however the studio is technically UK based. Also dropping playercounts, but the consensus is "well if you already bought it, don't buy in more, but noone is gonna talk poo poo if you still play" because technically you are using russian servers and introducing more costs to the russians :v:

Dota 2 esport scene was hit with some blowback, one of the russian players was caught drawing a "Z" on the game's minimap (in game you can draw on the map John Madden style to show stuff to your allies) during a big tournament, so his whole team was loving evicted from the event and all players who were scheduled against them got free wins.

Virtus Pro, a big russian esport team, from Couterstrike to Rocket League, is getting banned left and right and does have a lot of justified issues with it, as they employ a lot of Slav players in general, Polish dudes, Lithuanians and even some Ukrainians. Like a poster above said, the players can compete but they cannot use their team logos or merch.

Valve hasn't done anything on themselves, but with the SWIFT ban they also haven't done anything to let Russians buy games on Steam in some other way, and there was some issue with pre-paid cards as well but I don't know the details.

In a few of the games I play, a lot of players with Cyrilic names (and if you have ever played on any European servers you'll know how much that is) have started a lot of our matches with "Slava Ukraini" in order to not get kicked, teamkilled or just bullied.

I think Amazon has paused Twtich payouts to Russian streamers, which is a big income hit for a lot of them. But this again is more to do with the SWIFT ban than any action from Amazon or Twitch.

At the start a lot of european developers have dedicated parts or all of their income to Ukrainian charities, there were a lot of package deals, even Humble Bundle pitched in.

Stalker 2 is delayed again because the Ukraine-based developers are uh, preoccupied.

With regards to community - in Europe, there always was shittalking based on where you're from. Usually most of us masquerade as english speakers to not show your nationality and you're fine. But having any identifiers in your nickname, or avatar or typing in your language is grounds for bullying from other players. From a more friendly "talk like real people you goddamn frogs" to "gently caress OFF YOU RUSSIAN/POLISH/GERMAN DICKHEAD/NAZI" and outright bans saying "lol you're polish".
And not much has changed with the war, only people are a bit more hostile to those with nicknames in Cyrylic. But when you grow up in such enviroment, you just get used to it.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Wildeyes posted:

It's also funny that he apparently planned to have direct negotiations with the US president, and yet (as far as I can tell) the US hasn't had any negotiations with Russia since the invasion started, much less any between the two leaders.

Not that funny when you consider that he never considered Ukraine a country, much less a negotiation partner. For Putin, this was always gonna be a war with US/NATO so he prepared to negotiate with his "equals".

It's all just sad.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Athas posted:

It's just dismantled by the bomb squad like other unexploded ordnance. They're not even particularly hard to disarm, since they're not supposed to ever be in a situation where the enemy are disarming them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Athas posted:

Wait for Mr Burke to offer you 200 caps and 100xp for reactivating it

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is anyone sure Russia even has functional nukes at this point given how bad everything else has gone?

There is the Kaliningrad Oblast question - that territory is basically a stationary aircraft carrier. 80% of people living there are army/government officials and their families tasked with keeping the military presence of Russia in the area. It's a very important base for Baltic Sea access, it allows for pressure on Lithuania and Estionia, blocks off Polish access to a bit of our bay (but we got around that and are digging a channel), and well is a good spying position. There is very little production or farming in the area - they import most of their goods because it's a big military base.

And there are grounds to believe that there are nukes there. There certainly are missiles capable of carrying them and those would be kept in the best shape. Without a doubt firing them there would give you first strike capabilities over 90% of Europe. I know they won't be used, but if they would be, my guess is that those would fly first. /clancychat

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Athas posted:

Eh, not that difficult - it's just a regular explosive that blasts two parts of radioactive material against eachother. Wedge a plank between the two halves of the payload and you're basically safe.
The regular explosion would contaminate the immideate area, but the arming mechanism for that doesn't activate if the missile doesn't fly for example, because having one armed and shot down before it can leave your airspace is a disaster. Same with one having a launch malfunction.

So yeah, you literally could dump it in a swamp if you're sure enough noone would drain the swamp to pick it up later :v: