Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

satanic splash-back posted:

Watching the yearly prerecorded department meeting. Presentation key points includes a list of names of every senator and house representative we lobbied this year to kill the tax bill.

Good stuff.

Around 2007 an accountant friend was applying for jobs and shared a video a massive accounting firm had commissioned internally where they hired someone to write and perform a song complaining about Sarbanes–Oxley as they thought it was overregulating them. It had the lyric "Sarbanes–Oxley, they've got moxie." It was an interesting look into the minds of an old boys firm upset that they could no longer do whatever they wanted after the Enron accounting scandals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

To continue yeastchat, an unusual thing is that you're unable to claim any intellectual property on non-GMO yeast strains, so there is literally nothing stopping you from taking someone else's strains, growing them up, changing their name, and selling them as your own.

The only IP you can claim on yeast is method IP, so you can patent a new way of making yeast, and if this new method results in a unique strain, then the new strain is protected under that IP, because nobody else has the IP for making that strain. None of the major yeast companies (Lesaffre, Lallemand, and AB Mauri) have IP protected yeast strains and theft is rampant.

The only thing protecting the major companies is that they have making yeast down to a science, and the capital investment required to grow yeast on the same scale is significant. They only compete on price and freshness of the yeast, so they have factories all over the globe, producing massive quantities of yeast as cheaply as possible. As a result, the major companies have all been around for nearly 300 years and, aside from China's state-owned yeast company, there have been no new major players in the industry this entire time.

An absolutely bizarre industry.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

McGavin posted:

To continue yeastchat, an unusual thing is that you're unable to claim any intellectual property on non-GMO yeast strains, so there is literally nothing stopping you from taking someone else's strains, growing them up, changing their name, and selling them as your own.

The only IP you can claim on yeast is method IP, so you can patent a new way of making yeast, and if this new method results in a unique strain, then the new strain is protected under that IP, because nobody else has the IP for making that strain. None of the major yeast companies (Lesaffre, Lallemand, and AB Mauri) have IP protected yeast strains and theft is rampant.

The only thing protecting the major companies is that they have making yeast down to a science, and the capital investment required to grow yeast on the same scale is significant. They only compete on price and freshness of the yeast, so they have factories all over the globe, producing massive quantities of yeast as cheaply as possible. As a result, the major companies have all been around for nearly 300 years and, aside from China's state-owned yeast company, there have been no new major players in the industry this entire time.

An absolutely bizarre industry.

There are a few places here in Japan doing props from these places and the original labs are not cool with it but they can't really do anything. That said, I don't really trust them if I'm being honest.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If we're being honest, I was a little surprised you're using a GM yeast. Not that there's anything wrong with it, it just isn't usually done due to consumer GMO fears.

The company I used to work for had to invent and patent a method of selectively breeding beer yeast in order to get around the "consumers don't want GMO products but we can't create new yeast strains without IP protection" problem.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Why are you dicking around with yeast strains when you can throw half a barrel of spoiled fruit and a dead cat into the mix and sell your microbrew Cat-barrel hazy fruitbox IPA for mega buxxxx instead?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Gmo fear is less rampant in a lot of places.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

McGavin posted:

If we're being honest, I was a little surprised you're using a GM yeast. Not that there's anything wrong with it, it just isn't usually done due to consumer GMO fears.

The company I used to work for had to invent and patent a method of selectively breeding beer yeast in order to get around the "consumers don't want GMO products but we can't create new yeast strains without IP protection" problem.

I think that's a fear in some places for sure. It was something the other yeast guy brought up but idgaf if I'm being honest.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I wouldn't expect people to think about GMO yeast until they see 'NON-GMO YEAST!!!!!!' on the side of a can. Even if they care about GMO.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Re: PO chat, while our vendors don't explicitly require POs, our internal PO number requirement is blatantly ignored in many cases. I have, many times, attempted to implement a system that makes sense. Every order is supposed to tie back to our ERP's purchase order by number, e.g. 198810. What I always do is take that number and append something, anything informational to it so that it can be appropriately filed. Example, something like 198810/OUTRAIL tells me that this goes to a customer named Outrail. 198811/STOCK obviously goes to stock. But that's too loving hard for half of my coworkers that are involved in ordering :effort:

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Animerapist update.

Also they suggested a resolution of having the supervisor hold a meeting “to remind everyone to stay focused and not misuse company equipment!!!”

I love this because it solves nothing, the offending party will either be oblivious that it is about them or simply won't care, and it will offend everyone else. My old manager used to do this everything we had someone causing problems.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

D34THROW posted:

Re: PO chat, while our vendors don't explicitly require POs, our internal PO number requirement is blatantly ignored in many cases. I have, many times, attempted to implement a system that makes sense. Every order is supposed to tie back to our ERP's purchase order by number, e.g. 198810. What I always do is take that number and append something, anything informational to it so that it can be appropriately filed. Example, something like 198810/OUTRAIL tells me that this goes to a customer named Outrail. 198811/STOCK obviously goes to stock. But that's too loving hard for half of my coworkers that are involved in ordering :effort:

What the gently caress I ordered a cheeseburger this is a hamburger with cheese can you please update my file and action this order asap.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

gwarm01 posted:

I love this because it solves nothing, the offending party will either be oblivious that it is about them or simply won't care, and it will offend everyone else. My old manager used to do this everything we had someone causing problems.

The 'ol name and shame still works you lovely boom-cat pilot you.

(Are you the mwo Gwarm?)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
How many people would equate 'misusing equipment' with 'harassing coworkers over the internet' without some sort of hint?

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

Outrail posted:

How many people would equate 'misusing equipment' with 'harassing coworkers over the internet' without some sort of hint?

Garbage response by a garbage company. Absolutely horrendous to say that the obvious sexual harassment is only misuse of company property.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I love the all hands meetings where some higher up turns in an Emmy winning performance of "plz be safe guys!" but there is functionally no change to any aspect of operations whatsoever. Fatal incident? Oh God everyone, please be safe, no we won't actually make any meaningful alteration to policy or practice whatsoever to prevent fatal incidents from happening. It's like "oops, another fell into the baby grinding machine" and then someone goes "watch out for the baby grinder!" instead of asking we have a baby grinder at all.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I love the all hands meetings where some higher up turns in an Emmy winning performance of "plz be safe guys!" but there is functionally no change to any aspect of operations whatsoever. Fatal incident? Oh God everyone, please be safe, no we won't actually make any meaningful alteration to policy or practice whatsoever to prevent fatal incidents from happening. It's like "oops, another fell into the baby grinding machine" and then someone goes "watch out for the baby grinder!" instead of asking we have a baby grinder at all.

I just filled out a survey today that asked 'are our products safe' and all I could say was 'yeah but we have to fight for it because anytime we plan safety into the schedule we get pressured by management to take it out".

It won't help.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Reclassify safety to 'client satisfaction assurance'.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Outrail posted:

Reclassify safety to 'client satisfaction assurance'.

Estimate your overall productivity difference if all staff were either sat in a jail cell or part of an expanding cloud of gas, multiply that by the chance of the problem occurring, and refer to it as "statistical productivity improvement".

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Atopian posted:

Estimate your overall productivity difference if all staff were either sat in a jail cell or part of an expanding cloud of gas, multiply that by the chance of the problem occurring, and refer to it as "statistical productivity improvement".

Give the unsafe product to the CFO to test.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Outrail posted:

Give the unsafe product to the CFO to test.

Or at least someone in the boardroom

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ChillyRevolvingArcticwolf-mobile.mp4

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

The 'ol name and shame still works you lovely boom-cat pilot you.

(Are you the mwo Gwarm?)

Boom-cat? Now, that's a name I've not heard in a long time.

Wow, it's been around 10 years since the MWO Word of Lowtax days.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

gwarm01 posted:

Boom-cat? Now, that's a name I've not heard in a long time.

Wow, it's been around 10 years since the MWO Word of Lowtax days.

Oh god MWO is still "that new mechwarrior game" in my head oh god oh no

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I do think it's funny that the same people worried about genetically modified yeast more than likely have no problem with drinking lagers. poo poo, pretty much all clean yeast strains are modified wild yeast. Basically, unless you're drinking lambics, you're drinking beer produced by a yeast variety not found in nature.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Work is now implementing some sort of hybrid seating where you don't get a dedicated cube if you're not in-office at least three days a week. Instead, areas are going to be sectioned off for each director in the company and workers just pick a station to work at for the day or two they are in the office (no idea what this setup looks like). The thing is, the company owns the buildings we work at, so I'm not quite sure what this accomplishes. Like, if we were renting two buildings and decided that eliminating dedicated workspaces for each employee meant we could downsize to only renting one building, then that would make sense. I'm just not sure what the goal is here ultimately. My wife thinks maybe the company's gonna rent out the empty space to smaller companies, but I don't know.

The one nice thing about this seating change is that it makes me believe that we'll be remaining hybrid WFH/Office (only one day a week) for the foreseeable future.

E:

Beer Bro(s), my wife likes Raspberry Lambics. Are they a pain to make? (I don't mean at home, I mean at the brewery)

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

E:

Beer Bro(s), my wife likes Raspberry Lambics. Are they a pain to make? (I don't mean at home, I mean at the brewery)

I'm a big lambic fan but yeah, they're a big production. The sourness comes from a variety of bacteria that would be considered contaminants in a normal brewery and, once they make extended contact with any equipment, it is impossible to remove them, meaning any beer that passes through that equipment will become contaminated if it's not already a sour. Because of this if you want to make lambics or other true sour beers, you either need to be completely dedicated to sour ale production, or have separate equipment post wort production (fermentation/blending tanks, hoses, bottler, kegger, kegs, etc.) dedicated to sour ale production. On top of that, certain bacteria in spur ales need at least a year of aging in order to round out and finish. Some strains will cause strings to appear in the beer before returning to liquid. Because of the amount of time and volumes involved, these beers are barrel aged for at least a year. Then, like wine or whiskey, a blender will determine which barrels will be blended for the final product. They will also determine which barrels are unusable and need to be dumped.

With traditional lambic production, wort is pumped into a shallow pool called a cool ship and let to sit and cool overnight, picking up yeast and bacteria from the air (it's been determined that this culture is more linked to the physical brewery than outside air and in fact when lambic breweries will spray the walls of a new facility with lambic order to get the house culture started). With fruit lambics that use real fruit and not syrups, the fruit will be washed but left intact in order to get some wild yeast off if the fruit skin.

These beers are often bottled in champagne like bottles with more yeast added for carbonation from secondary fermentation in the bottle. Same as most traditional Belgian beers.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I love reading about beer almost as much as I love drinking it.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Kreik being my fave of those, if I'm not guzzling genevers.
My local in Brest had it on tap and it was quite amazing,

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

staberind posted:

Kreik being my fave of those, if I'm not guzzling genevers.
My local in Brest had it on tap and it was quite amazing,

Kreik is really good. I still think the best lambic I ever had was the apricot one from Cantillon.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Holy poo poo! One of the kegs I was washing ruptured during the cleaning process!

Fortunately, I was standing fairly far away from the keg washer. JFC.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 20, 2022

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

What are you washing those things with an internal pressure cooker?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

champagne posting posted:

What are you washing those things with an internal pressure cooker?

Steam, so yeah, more or less.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Escape From Noise posted:

I do think it's funny that the same people worried about genetically modified yeast more than likely have no problem with drinking lagers. poo poo, pretty much all clean yeast strains are modified wild yeast. Basically, unless you're drinking lambics, you're drinking beer produced by a yeast variety not found in nature.

In the layperson's mind there's a very hard line between selective breeding in agriculture and introducing genes in a lab. The yeast strains you're talking about are naturally occurring mutations, so they don't count as "genetically modified", even though they aren't wild type yeast.

At the yeast company I used to work for, they discovered a mutant yeast that was unable to produce hydrogen sulfide, which they then back-crossed into commercial wine and beer yeast strains until the only gene from the mutant was the one controlling hydrogen sulfide production. This is much more lab work than using molecular genetic techniques to take the gene from one strain and insert it into the other, but the end result is a GMO, so we had to do everything the hard way even though the end result is exactly the same.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I get selective breeding is different to people, but wasn't lager yeast created in a lab? I fully admit that I may have this wrong.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Also that's cool that you worked with yeast. I really wish I could understand that better than just surface level process stuff. It's all really interesting to me and definitely what I would consider the most important ingredient in beer. Especially since I really like Belgian styles.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

zedprime posted:

A PO can be part of the contract alongside the sales order and big companies will often use this for SOX compliance to make sure any ledger activity is actually tied off to goods and services rendered. But verbal authorization below certain thresholds has stood up as SOX compliant too so there's sales schemes where you just email or talk to someone and they fill out a sales order on their own side.

Relatedly the main point for asking for your PO is so they can add it to their SO which will assist SOX auditing or let them find the transaction with a reference you have handier than any of their document keys if you call in reference to the transaction and it's often a mandatory field in an ERP tracking all this crap so poo poo like your verbal authorization to order doesn't get lost in the ether. But similar processes existed when POs and SOs existed physically.

OP is basically doing the right thing in just giving any number they want in other words.

The utility of POs really depends on the kind of business you are doing. Delivery schedule, net payment terms, quality notes, drawing revision, Government Contract number, DPAS rating, ship-to location, invoicing details, terms and conditions and basic things like quantity and price all go into the POs I write now; all that is just what the vendor sees, though. There's a bunch of internal documentation that the POs contain like price justification documents, where the money is coming from and links back to the authorizing processes from quote to final approval. SAP can be extremely clunky and annoying to work with, but it does a great job of centralizing information. If you know what you are looking for you can search for just about anything and get the whole story in minutes if people did things right.

In my old department we had asked finance if it was possible to order parts on a corporate card and have the charges paid out by a specific customer charge number. Because counting is hard we had a lot of misses on quantities and so I would need to go and order a single $0.32 resistor with a PO, which mean tying up the project manager to add the demand, the requisitioner to turn the demand into a requisition and then me to create and issue the order. There were times where we lost money on builds due to the hours needed to correct the BOM quantities. My solution was to wait until I could justify an order by getting a dozen or so of these nothing parts quoted and ready to go, but we never had a schedule that would allow for that approach consistently. We also ordered a ton of crap directly off Amazon and Newegg (we built lab-based test equipment and used almost nothing but off the shelf hardware), but had to use a third party company that charged an 8% premium to turn our PO to them into an order off an online storefront because Amazon and Newegg aren't approved suppliers. It made all the sense in the world to just give me a corporate card and let me order stuff through these companies instead of issuing POs for commercial projects and internal use, but our corporate policy wouldn't allow for it.

Now that I've moved to the Real Person Supply Chain side of the business when I tell my new colleagues what my job consisted of before they don't believe me. I used to issue more POs in a week than they do in a year. It helps when you have forecast and demand written into our contracts with the customers so we can plan years in advance and set up long term agreements instead of writing orders every time we want a few parts. The trade off is that I spend most of my time managing these long term agreements and providing direction and guidance to vendors. It's a lot less SAP work and more managerial/administrative and I'm really liking it so far.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Unrelated to stupid things my work does, I just put a chai latte dark ale monstrosity in the primary this week at my folk's place. During the boil, right as I was dumping a stupid amount of lactose into the wort, my first thought was "I wonder if Escape From Noise would be proud of me".

Related to stupid things my work does, it is now the second promotion I applied for that management has (ostensibly) opened to internal candidates that has gone to people who haven't applied for the position, don't want the position and are as shocked as the applicants when the news were announced.

At least they are internal candidates, I guess.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Bubblyblubber posted:

Unrelated to stupid things my work does, I just put a chai latte dark ale monstrosity in the primary this week at my folk's place. During the boil, right as I was dumping a stupid amount of lactose into the wort, my first thought was "I wonder if Escape From Noise would be proud of me".

Related to stupid things my work does, it is now the second promotion I applied for that management has (ostensibly) opened to internal candidates that has gone to people who haven't applied for the position, don't want the position and are as shocked as the applicants when the news were announced.

At least they are internal candidates, I guess.

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do! If it sells you gotta keep those lights on!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Batterypowered7 posted:

Work is now implementing some sort of hybrid seating where you don't get a dedicated cube if you're not in-office at least three days a week. Instead, areas are going to be sectioned off for each director in the company and workers just pick a station to work at for the day or two they are in the office (no idea what this setup looks like). The thing is, the company owns the buildings we work at, so I'm not quite sure what this accomplishes. Like, if we were renting two buildings and decided that eliminating dedicated workspaces for each employee meant we could downsize to only renting one building, then that would make sense. I'm just not sure what the goal is here ultimately.

The place I'm working has an app that you check-in everyday and you choose your desk on the map.

They don't want people to have 'permanent' seating assignments but the reality is that people who come in (almost) everyday will want to sit in the same place.

Their justifications are contact tracing in the event of a COVID outbreak, and people take their stuff home with them so the cleaning team doesn't have to clean around a bunch of stuff.

It is also a very good barometer of how much office space we really need in the future.

This place has a capacity of almost 200 cubes but only a max of 30 have come in so far.

Our RTO is a phased opening and the other departments will be 'allowed' to come in later this month.

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
To sum up:

Got covid, was out for almost two weeks.
Came back to discover Assault Baker has had some kind of negative interaction with literally everyone on staff (and that our overnight person, whose shifts would have overlapped with hers, quit very suddenly while I was gone).
Also boss is leaving for a wedding from the 2nd to the 11th and has announced that the person in charge of back of house operations for that time will be… Assault Baker.

lmao my boss is going to lose the entire crew because she can’t discipline one rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Non Krampus Mentis posted:

To sum up:

Got covid, was out for almost two weeks.
Came back to discover Assault Baker has had some kind of negative interaction with literally everyone on staff (and that our overnight person, whose shifts would have overlapped with hers, quit very suddenly while I was gone).
Also boss is leaving for a wedding from the 2nd to the 11th and has announced that the person in charge of back of house operations for that time will be… Assault Baker.

lmao my boss is going to lose the entire crew because she can’t discipline one rear end in a top hat

Organize a walkout