Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

FPyat posted:

Cloud Atlas-like
The soulslikes of literature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I should have said Cloud Atlas-esque instead.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Cloud Atltastical.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIK4w4-H4Tk

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Can we just take an aside from the scientific realism of supernovae to note that the prose, especially for something marketed as litfic, is absolutely loving awful. It inspires nothing. It's like gruel. The president of China speaks like some guy down the pub. It's like Brandon Sanderson on nutrient paste.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up, new season of love, death and robots is on Netflix.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Strategic Tea posted:

Can we just take an aside from the scientific realism of supernovae to note that the prose, especially for something marketed as litfic, is absolutely loving awful. It inspires nothing. It's like gruel. The president of China speaks like some guy down the pub. It's like Brandon Sanderson on nutrient paste.

This

I’m utterly confounded how many reviews of this book, and books just like it, wax on about the beautiful prose when it’s watery bland paste filled with cliches and banal phrasings. The best I can guess is people think fey wistful prose equals beautiful, when it’s more often merely vague. The author could write “the ocean was so big and oceany” and the people who like that poo poo are doing all the work imagining the ocean for themselves and thinking, “ah yes, so beautiful.”

This book in particular can’t even settle on a pov or tense, and it’s not because it’s experimental—it follows no set pattern, it just veers all over the place with no thought behind it at all. The change from present to past tense isn’t used to establish a different voice, because the author’s voice is completely samey no matter what person/tense she uses. On top of that, when she returns to the only character she used present tense for, she doesn’t slip back into present tense, but keeps using past tense like she does for the rest of the book, so the tense shift is utterly loving pointless. She started that way and got bored of it I guess. The true main character’s pov comes in mid-book in 1st person, but she can’t even be arsed to keep that up.

Every pov had a distinct voice in Cloud Atlas, whereas there’s no voice whatsoever in this pathetic imitation. She can’t even be bothered to keep up with the story structure. After the mid far-future bit, she wants to stay so bad in the time traveller’s pov, that she just goes gently caress it for the rest of the book and lets him take over all the sections that were supposed to wrap up all the previous characters. Because it’s not a book about different people at all—their only purpose was to set up her stupid gimmick. There was no art to it at all, she just hung her lovely painting in a better artist’s frame and did such a lovely job it ended up a crumpled mess.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

FPyat posted:

Hanya Yanagihara has also written a Cloud Atlas-like book called To Paradise.

Which apparently sucks: https://harpers.org/nc-redirect/?redirect_to=https://harpers.org/archive/2022/01/ad-nauseam-hanya-yanigihara-to-paradise-the-pandemic-novel/

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Ok, but I don't think you've really told us how you feel about this book.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

I couldn't even make it all the way through that review, much less the actual book.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Have they discovered that women write short fiction yet

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

General Battuta posted:

Have they discovered that women write short fiction yet
Seems literally like all dudes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love,_Death_%26_Robots#Volume_III_(2022)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Two seasons in a row. Nice.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Stuporstar posted:

This

I’m utterly confounded how many reviews of this book, and books just like it, wax on about the beautiful prose when it’s watery bland paste filled with cliches and banal phrasings. The best I can guess is people think fey wistful prose equals beautiful, when it’s more often merely vague. The author could write “the ocean was so big and oceany” and the people who like that poo poo are doing all the work imagining the ocean for themselves and thinking, “ah yes, so beautiful.”

This book in particular can’t even settle on a pov or tense, and it’s not because it’s experimental—it follows no set pattern, it just veers all over the place with no thought behind it at all. The change from present to past tense isn’t used to establish a different voice, because the author’s voice is completely samey no matter what person/tense she uses. On top of that, when she returns to the only character she used present tense for, she doesn’t slip back into present tense, but keeps using past tense like she does for the rest of the book, so the tense shift is utterly loving pointless. She started that way and got bored of it I guess. The true main character’s pov comes in mid-book in 1st person, but she can’t even be arsed to keep that up.

Every pov had a distinct voice in Cloud Atlas, whereas there’s no voice whatsoever in this pathetic imitation. She can’t even be bothered to keep up with the story structure. After the mid far-future bit, she wants to stay so bad in the time traveller’s pov, that she just goes gently caress it for the rest of the book and lets him take over all the sections that were supposed to wrap up all the previous characters. Because it’s not a book about different people at all—their only purpose was to set up her stupid gimmick. There was no art to it at all, she just hung her lovely painting in a better artist’s frame and did such a lovely job it ended up a crumpled mess.

This is how I feel about The Name of the Wind too. People are just really, really bad at separating 'kind of artsy' and 'is actually good'.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

eh, it was icky the first time around, with that juvenile flick about a woman and her remotely controlled beast

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah where's my adaptation of Bloodchild

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
They had some good ones over the last few seasons. Beyond the aquila rift was amazing. They had some poo poo ones too, like the cyber wolf woman thing.

In vaulted halls entombed is my favorite of this batch. Better than the short story, which I thought was going to be hard to do.

Still like the robot one and the sequel this season, but holy gently caress is scalzi turning the smug up to lethal levels.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
One of the stories is by two dudes.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
pfft, girls don't like robots, they're too busy writing scientifically inaccurate stories about the moon

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

When you're losing a book-off with your boyfriend so hard that you have to write to GQ about it

The most upsetting thing about this is that it just reinforces the stereotype that wimmin don't read "man books" and is delivered as a truth to the mostly male readership.

If anything it suggests an intense lack of curiosity on her part.

gently caress you lady.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Hanya Yanagihara posted:

There are no movies, no television, no internet. You can’t, as we once had, spend an evening debating an article or a novel or bragging about a vacation to someplace far away. You can’t discuss the person you’ve just had sex with, or how you were interviewing for a new job, or how much you wanted to buy a new car or apartment or pair of sunglasses. You can’t do these things because none of those things are possible any longer, at least not openly, and with their elimination has also disappeared hours’, days’ worth of conversations.

quote:

In addition to her baldness and scars, Charlie’s entire personality—her literal-mindedness, her “affectlessness,” her “seriousness”—consists of the miracle cure’s side effects.

These would be satirical jokes I would have made up about this kind of novel.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Stuporstar posted:

Like she can’t even do the most perfunctory research for her setting, for a science fiction novel. What, does she think that’s below her as a lovely C-tier lit fic author? Like, would she be totally be ok situating the Leaning Tower of Pisa in Paris?

I'm reliably informed by John Boyne that you can't expect authors to know poo poo about what they're writing, and that copy-pasting the first result from Google is sufficient for research. And that cancel culture exists and is really bad, and is when the Auswitz Museum calls you out on your bullshit.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FPyat posted:

These would be satirical jokes I would have made up about this kind of novel.

I don't know the context but I'm imagining some dipshit aging millennial who's become so brain damaged from their computer job and never going outside their Williamsburg apartment that they've honestly forgotten that actually most people in the world talk about bullshit like that in real life. Or at least talk the most about it there. Like those people talking about leaving Twitter in the same tone as a suicide note because they forgot how to make friends.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
That part's describing a dystopian 2093 in which "The State" has outlawed all of those activities (and most others) because there's been a worse pandemic every decade after this one.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh, so it's the manifestation of the authors fear of being banned from Twitter then

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

FPyat posted:

Hanya Yanagihara has also written a Cloud Atlas-like book called To Paradise.

Any good? I really enjoyed A Little Life.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

When you're losing a book-off with your boyfriend so hard that you have to write to GQ about it

quote:

According to Nielsen, despite men famously making up half the population, they only account for 20% of the audience for literary fiction.

The rest are too busy playing video games.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J5X5LVQ/

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

moonmazed posted:

pfft, girls don't like robots, they're too busy writing scientifically inaccurate stories about the moon

I beg to differ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdokZ-pbYTo

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs #1) by Richard K Morgan - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBFMZ2/

The Last Wish (Witcher) by Andrzej Sapkowski - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010SIPT4/

Annihilation (Southern Reach #1) by Jeff VanderMeer - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EGJ32A6/

His Dark Materials (Golden Compass #1) by Philip Pullman - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC1ICM/

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SEGUDE/

The Silicon Mage (Windrose #2) by Barbara Hambly - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TC14A0/

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/sfwa/status/1528461525865799680

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Edit: Beaten

The offending term was 'colored' which while extremely outdated, I dunno whether I'd call it a racial slur

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wait I thought people were using it again

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Isn't she like, 75 loving years old? Old people are expected to slip back into the words and patterns they learned as a kid tbh

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Isn't she like, 75 loving years old? Old people are expected to slip back into the words and patterns they learned as a kid tbh

71 or 72, but if she's too old not to slip and use words she should have stopped using in her 20s she's too old to be on a panel.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Maybe the NAACP should change their name so 71 year olds don't get confused.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

pseudorandom name posted:

Maybe the NAACP should change their name so 71 year olds don't get confused.

Don't be a dickshit. People of color can call themselves whatever they choose but us white assholes need to suck it up and deal.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sorry, this is literally the first time I've ever heard of it referred to as a slur rather than being old-fashioned and not the preferred terminology.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

TOOT BOOT posted:

Edit: Beaten

The offending term was 'colored' which while extremely outdated, I dunno whether I'd call it a racial slur

Wait, that’s a slur?

I’m white and don’t use it but this is also literally the first time I have seen it marked as a slur.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
My captain in the army wanted to be referred to as black or colored. I am also confused. Why is "person of color" good and "colored" bad?" Maybe it's a local cultural thing, I don't know. Or is it just that the word was in high use during more racist times? Fwiw, people should be given an opportunity and have a teaching moment if language offends instead of this instant shunning. I haven't followed anything Lackey has said or blogged. Maybe she really doubled down on it or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
“Colored” has a little more of a history as a negative term, considering that it was used to denote which spaces were appropriate for non-whites to use.