Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

It's been a while since I tried it. In FFXII, for basic encounters:

Can you get good at setting up the gambits and equipping your characters, to the point where you can enter battles and afk until they are finished? Or do you have to always be an active participant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Heran Bago posted:

It's been a while since I tried it. In FFXII, for basic encounters:

Can you get good at setting up the gambits and equipping your characters, to the point where you can enter battles and afk until they are finished? Or do you have to always be an active participant?
For ordinary battles, you can definitely set it up so that you just walk into an enemy and it dies. It's weirdly satisfying. Gambits work with bosses, too, but they come with enough extra surprises to involve some participation.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
late but any discussion of specific lines from FFVII must come from the position that you're assuming whatever you're quoting is garbled mistranslated bullshit, with the probability of that rising the later you are in the game

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

late but any discussion of specific lines from FFVII must come from the position that you're assuming whatever you're quoting is garbled mistranslated bullshit, with the probability of that rising the later you are in the game

This script are sick.

Keromaru5 posted:

For ordinary battles, you can definitely set it up so that you just walk into an enemy and it dies. It's weirdly satisfying. Gambits work with bosses, too, but they come with enough extra surprises to involve some participation.

dope, thanks

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I remember Hope bitching about his dad a lot, but when you actually meet him he's supportive and understanding and seems like a good dad?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Schwartzcough posted:

I remember Hope bitching about his dad a lot, but when you actually meet him he's supportive and understanding and seems like a good dad?
Hope is also a teenage boy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Makes sense, Hope is a dumb semi-spoiled kid and seemed a bit of a mama's boy. He gets over it after they reunite at least.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah hope is a teenager who's parents recently separated and seem to be going through a divorce.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1528472187065077760

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, Hope's got his reasons (or at least reasons that work for a teenage boy going through a bunch of bad poo poo); just saying that Hope's dad seems to fall in the "Good FF dad" category despite a character in the game calling him a bad dad.

Edit:

Glad they're making more cartoons for the 40-something nostalgia gamer age demographic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Personally, I kind of like the idea of Sephiroth being in the driver's seat post-Nibelheim. It adds to his tragedy and works very well with the game's themes of identity and personality. His dad is Hojo, one of his mums is dead, and the other mum is a living extinction event so alien and so lacking in a sense of self that she might as well be mindless. The idea that his JRPG-villain persona is something that he cobbled together out of trauma, loneliness, and a warped sense of parental obligation to parents who are somewhere between malevolent and nonexistent is a really strong one, and a striking mirror to Cloud's own fabricated personality.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Well if they are actually making the FF9 TV cartoon then they are probably actually making a giant FF9 remake then and not just a remaster

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It seems odd, though, since FF9 strikes me as one of the Final Fantasy games that least needs a full reimagining. It tells a complete story with solid gameplay and an artstyle that perfectly suits it - simple and cartoony, but with a painterly charm and no obvious sense of constrained ambition.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

idk what voices you could cast that would fit Vivi/Quina

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Just give Vivi Emile's voice from Nier. Easy, done.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
James Horan as Quina

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

Big the Cat but pitch shifted

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Vivi at least already has a voice actress: Ikue Ōtani (Morgana from Persona 5, Chopper, etc.)

Zidane is Romi Park (Edward Elric among many many others.)

Kuja is Akira Ishida (Do you have a weird mystery silver-haired guy? Odds are good he voiced him.)

Looking it up Steiner got one for the Chocobo game and one of the mobile games, Minoru Hirota (Kind of a nobody.)

Freya is Ai Orikasa (Quatre from Gundam Wing, Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo)

Garnet is)_Mamiko Noto (Fuuka from Persona 3, Catherine from Catherine.)

Eiko was voiced by Hisako Kanemoto in World of Final Fantasy (Don't know her stuff.)

Quina and Amarant as far as I'm aware have never had actors.

This doesn't mean they will necessarily stick with those actors but it's pretty common to stick with an actor or actress once they've been cast and a lot of those are prolific voice actors/actresses. At very least I doubt Ishida and Park get recast.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 23, 2022

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah voice casting vivi is the easiest poo poo in the world there's like 50 "typecast as little boy" voice actresses in every corner of the industry.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Vivi at least already has a voice actress: Ikue Ōtani (Morgana from Persona 5, Chopper, etc.)

Zidane is Romi Park (Edward Elric among many many others.)

Kuja is Akira Ishida (Do you have a weird mystery silver-haired guy? Odds are good he voiced him.)

Looking it up Steiner got one for the Chocobo game and one of the mobile games, Minoru Hirota (Kind of a nobody.)

Freya is Ai Orikasa (Quatre from Gundam Wing, Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo)

Garnet is)_Mamiko Noto (Fuuka from Persona 3, Catherine from Catherine.)

Eiko was voiced by Hisako Kanemoto in World of Final Fantasy (Don't know her stuff.)

Quina and Amarant as far as I'm aware have never had actors.

This doesn't mean they will necessarily stick with those actors but it's pretty common to stick with an actor or actress once they've been cast and a lot of those are prolific voice actors/actresses. At very least I doubt Ishida and Park get recast.

Kath Soucie (Vivi in English World of Final Fantasy), would be in it definitely. I'm not able to see who voiced Eiko in English on IMDB but they'd probably be able to get her back. Bryce Papenbrook (Zidane) should also be available unless there's more Sword Art Online going on. Would be interesting to see who'd be Garnet.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Vivi is just a lady with an echo reverb effect on her if I recall correctly from kh2

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Grimthwacker posted:

Kath Soucie (Vivi in English World of Final Fantasy), would be in it definitely. I'm not able to see who voiced Eiko in English on IMDB but they'd probably be able to get her back. Bryce Papenbrook (Zidane) should also be available unless there's more Sword Art Online going on. Would be interesting to see who'd be Garnet.

Michaela Murphy was Eiko's English voice actress.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Augus posted:

he isn't?
hard to think of anyone that tops him

IX Garland comes to mind, assuming he counts as Kuja's "dad"

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Quina should just be Gilbert Gottfried

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he’s dead

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

he’s dead

And Quina shouldn't speak its perfect

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Quina should be voiced by Guy Fieri.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Quina sounds like Donald Duck

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Makes sense, Hope is a dumb semi-spoiled kid and seemed a bit of a mama's boy. He gets over it after they reunite at least.

Don't think he really had a choice of whether or not to remain a mama's boy.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Also he does get over it, admits she was right all along, and treats her better.

It's like Wakka, people see the abuse and racism and forget this is part of a whole character arc where Cid stops the abuse and Wakka stops the racism.

Wakka's character arc in X falls flat for me because while the game make a point that he was being incredibly lovely, the whole arc stops as soon as he apologized to Rikku. We never see Wakka come to terms that maybe Chappu's death wasn't because he used a Machina, but because Yevon made a system where people like his brother would die horribly to feed their propaganda. Or Wakka struggling to atone and make up for being racist by helping out the Al Bhed in some form. Yes, I know X isn't ultimately a story about him, but they still had a huge stretch of game left between Home exploding up to them facing off against Sin for something.

And then in X-2 Wakka's big thing was giving his kid an Al Bhed name., which is like if a white guy gave their kid a PoC name to show he's cool with them and their culture now. :v:

The IX animated series being aimed at a 8-to-13 year old demographic makes me a bit worried that they'll do away or play down some of IX's darker themes and elements, but I'm still hoping it'll be good.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
If I was casting the IX show I’d have to be restrained from casting the guy who does the voice of James from Team Rocket as Kuja.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I just had the image of that guy doing his Seto Kaiba voice while waxing poetic as Kuja and now I’m disappointed that’s not gonna happen.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ytlaya posted:

Quina sounds like Donald Duck

So Don Cheadle?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TL posted:

If I was casting the IX show I’d have to be restrained from casting the guy who does the voice of James from Team Rocket as Kuja.

Last Celebration posted:

I just had the image of that guy doing his Seto Kaiba voice while waxing poetic as Kuja and now I’m disappointed that’s not gonna happen.

wait what

oh loving hell he's gourry too and now i can hear it

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Since banana raincoat Cid becomes Celes' adoptive father in the WoR I think he qualifies as a bad dad. He was totally fine with keeping espers as eternal prisoners to suck the magic out of them and helped genetically modify children to be soldiers. Maybe not the worst but he's still a massive piece of poo poo.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

amigolupus posted:

The IX animated series being aimed at a 8-to-13 year old demographic makes me a bit worried that they'll do away or play down some of IX's darker themes and elements, but I'm still hoping it'll be good.

I’d give even odds. There’s plenty of tv in English and Japanese markets for that demographic that get as dark if not darker than ff9

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Augus posted:

he isn't?
hard to think of anyone that tops him

I'm pretty sure until we get another FF villain that engages in child husbandry with war orphans, Gaius von Baelsar is more or less the undisputed Worst Dad of Final Fantasy, no matter how much FFXIV has tried to walk that poo poo back since they started the character redemption arc of an unrepentant genocidal racist.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's nothing to "walk back" other than a bunch of people assuming that "meet me in my quarters" automatically equates to sex

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

There's nothing to "walk back" other than a bunch of people assuming that "meet me in my quarters" automatically equates to sex

The scene in question was so blatantly unsubtle about it, especially in combination with other scenes involving the same character later talking about Gaius, they took the time to have a complete non-sequitur come up just to walk Gaius extremely far away from that interpretation of those events when they started shifting him towards anti-villain.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gaius is a monster but he helped us fight some really cool mechs so who can say if he's good or bad.