Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Trin Tragula posted:

Do wolves ever look back?

The wolf part of Angua responds to Carrot's pack leader qualities, something he never really *purposefully* taps into. And in Feet of Clay and to a lesser extent in Jingo, she's frustrated that he won't. Then in The Fifth Elephant, he does, and well...we see why that's not a toolset he likes to use.

Honestly, I find Angua and Carrot's relationship fascinating, and while I wish Pratchett had expanded on it more, romantic relationships were never his focus and that was his prerogative. But there's a lot of really interesting tension there between the lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
They're together and very happy. :colbert:

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Beachcomber posted:

They're together and mostly happy. :colbert:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Beachcomber posted:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
and she's not easily pleased.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

Amazing Maurice trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fotvV-Ty9rU

Looks... all right? More worth watching than The Watch, at least.

Looks cheap and terribly afraid of being scary

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

cptn_dr posted:

Amazing Maurice trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fotvV-Ty9rU

Looks... all right? More worth watching than The Watch, at least.

I hate this animation style so much

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

They're mostly happy, because life doesn't work like the storybooks and the curtain doesn't come down a smiling couple frozen in time. They will have bad days and arguments but on the whole, they'll be about as happy as two people ever are. That's how Pratchett would have written it, anyway.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
What I like about Pratchett is that he never write ~romance~. He wrote characters who just...fell in together because it made sense that they would.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Re-reading Lords and Ladies and I'm somehow only now getting why Casanunda is called that.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Re-reading Lords and Ladies and I'm somehow only now getting why Casanunda is called that.

and now that makes two of us.

MathMathCalculation
Jan 1, 2006

SixFigureSandwich posted:

And thus the ship of temptation steered, gently yet inexorably, to a good docking.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Canuckistan posted:

and now that makes two of us.
Geez. Took me a while. I might have read the witches book in Hebrew and never bothered with a re-read?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I love Nanny in Lords and Ladies. She's a heckuva lot of fun.

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Are Moist von Lipwig and Adora Belle Dearheart canonically bi?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dog King posted:

Are Moist von Lipwig and Adora Belle Dearheart canonically bi?

What makes you say that?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think Sally the vampire is. Do we ever have an onscreen same-sex couple?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Beachcomber posted:

wasn't there some dwarf king

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ChubbyChecker posted:

wasn't there some dwarf king

Iirc the Dwarf King is in a (mostly hidden) hetero relationship

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Beachcomber posted:

Lofty and Tonker.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Lofty and Tonker.

They're the ones that spring immediately to mind, yeah. Based off Carpe Jugulum I think most vampire's orientation can be listed as "yes". And that one wizard introduced in Unseen Academics is likewise just a "yes', since there's a line about him sleeping with another woman's husband or something similar.

Nanny Ogg might have mentioned others as well but none come immediately to mind.

thetoughestbean posted:

Iirc the Dwarf King is in a (mostly hidden) hetero relationship

The King is pregnant in Raising Steam and I think gives birth towards the end? I can't recall if the major issue most ultra-dox dwarves would have is due to it "outing" the King as female or them generally being more liberal.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 6, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

citybeatnik posted:

And that one wizard introduced in Unseen Academics

I think you mean

Professor Bengo Macarona, D.Thau (Bug), D.Maus (Chubb), Magistaludorum (QIS), Octavium (Hons), PHGK (Blit), DMSK, Mack, D.Thau (Bra), Visiting Professor in Chickens (Jahn the Conqueror University (Floor 2, Shrimp Packers building, Genua)), Primo Octo (Deux), Visiting Professor of Blit/Slood Exchanges (Al Khali), KCbfj, Reciprocating Professor of Blit Theory (Unki), D.Thau (Unki), Didimus Supremius (Unki), Emeritus Professor in Blit Substrate Determinations (Chubb), Chair of Blit and Music Studies (Quirm College for Young Ladies)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

*zot*

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s such a good bit.

quote:

‘Oh, that’s Professor Bengo Macarona, Archchancellor. From Genua, remember? He’s swapped with Professor Maidenhair for a year.’
‘Oh, right. Poor old Maidenhair. Perhaps he won’t get laughed at so much in a foreign language. And Mister Macarona’s here to better himself, yes? Put a bit of polish on his career, no doubt.’
‘Hardly, sir. He’s got doctorates from Unki, QIS and Chubb, thirteen in all, and a visiting professorship at Bugarup, and he has been cited in two hundred and thirty-six papers and, er, one divorce petition.’
‘What?’
‘The rule about celibacy isn’t taken seriously over there, sir. Very hot-blooded people, I understand, of course. His family owns a huge ranch and the biggest coffee plantation outside Klatch, and I think his grandmother owns the Macarona Shipping Company.’
‘So why the hell did he come here?’
‘He wants to work with the best, sir,’ said Ponder. ‘I think he’s serious.’
‘Really? Oh, well, he seems like a sensible chap, then. Er, the divorce thing?’
‘Don’t know much, sir, it got hushed up, I believe.’
‘Angry husband?’
‘Angry wife, as I heard it,’ said Ponder.
‘Oh, he was married, was he?’
‘Not to my knowledge, Archchancellor.’
‘I don’t think I quite understand,’ said Ridcully.
Ponder, who was not at all at home in this area, said very slowly, ‘She was the wife of another man… I, er, believe, sir.’
‘But I—’
To Ponder’s relief, light dawned on Ridcully’s huge face. ‘Oh, you mean he was like Professor Hayden. We used to have a name for him… ’
Ponder braced himself.
‘Snakes. Very keen on them, you know. Could talk for hours about snakes with a side order of lizards. Very keen.’
‘I’m glad you feel like that, Archchancellor, because I know that a number of the students—’
‘And then there was old Postule, who was in the rowing team. Coxed us through two wonderful years.’ Ponder’s expression did not change, but for a few moments his face went pink and shiny. ‘A lot of that sort of thing about, apparently,’ said Ridcully. ‘People make such a fuss. Anyway, in my opinion there’s not enough love in the world. Besides, if you didn’t like the company of men you wouldn’t come here in the first place.’

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There's also that brief mention in Jingo of Mr Harris of the Blue Cat Club, who's on the committee of the Seamstresses' Guild.

quote:

His admission caused a lot of argument in the Guild, who knew competition when they saw it, but Mrs Palm overruled the opposition on the basis, she said, that unnatural acts were only natural.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 6, 2022

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Trin Tragula posted:

There's also that brief mention in Jingo of Mr Harris of the Blue Cat Club, who's on the committee of the Seamstresses' Guild.

OK, so I had to dive into the Blue Cat Club and see what joke I was missing. Apparently, it wasn't a joke but may have been a reference to the Blue Cat Club in Melbourne, Australia during the 1920s. A two-tiered 'gentlemen's club' with general membership for men to get away from women and socialize with other men, and a more private tier for those who really wanted to socialize with other men.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So it's starting to look as though about half of the new audiobooks are just plain not going to be released in the USA for rights reasons, which is particularly annoying since the old ones have already been taken down.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I started a Discworld read through a while back. I’m now starting “Eric” and it’s a real delight to see how the Boss of the demons try to run Pandemonium like a modern workplace.

Of the books I’ve read so far I believe my favourite was probably “Guards! Guards!” A lot of capital G Great gags throughout.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

BigglesSWE posted:

I started a Discworld read through a while back. I’m now starting “Eric” and it’s a real delight to see how the Boss of the demons try to run Pandemonium like a modern workplace.

Of the books I’ve read so far I believe my favourite was probably “Guards! Guards!” A lot of capital G Great gags throughout.

No way, I am doing a discworld re-read and am just starting Eric :):hf::)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Enfys posted:

No way, I am doing a discworld re-read and am just starting Eric :):hf::)

Hell yeah!

Any book that includes the Librarian and/or The Luggage is instant gold so far.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If your favourite was Guards! Guards! then you have a lot of good times ahead of you.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

citybeatnik posted:

They're the ones that spring immediately to mind, yeah. Based off Carpe Jugulum I think most vampire's orientation can be listed as "yes". And that one wizard introduced in Unseen Academics is likewise just a "yes', since there's a line about him sleeping with another woman's husband or something similar.

Most of Pratchett's vampires seem to consider being a sex object a lifestyle thing, and are more attracted to drama than relationships. Although I still rather read Maledicta and Polly from Monstrous Regiment as a couple in the epilogue as well.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 15, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So I picked up Witches Abroad in a fancy hardback format the other day while poking around a shop for something else and really like the edition, with a nice hardback cover, ribbon bookmark etc.

I can see that a good few of the other books are available in this format looking up books like Small Gods or what have you, but does anyone know off hand if/when all Discworld books will be available in this format, since I wouldn't mind slowly collecting them all in a nice presentation like this. In addition to the new audiobooks that are being made (boy this is going to get expensive :sweatdrop:).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tsob posted:

So I picked up Witches Abroad in a fancy hardback format the other day while poking around a shop for something else and really like the edition, with a nice hardback cover, ribbon bookmark etc.

I can see that a good few of the other books are available in this format looking up books like Small Gods or what have you, but does anyone know off hand if/when all Discworld books will be available in this format, since I wouldn't mind slowly collecting them all in a nice presentation like this. In addition to the new audiobooks that are being made (boy this is going to get expensive :sweatdrop:).

They're all already available in that format and have been for a little while.

E: https://www.discworldemporium.com/21-the-discworld-collector-s-library

Complete set barring The Last Hero is £529. The Bromeliad is also available separately in the same format.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 15, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jedit posted:

Complete set barring The Last Hero is £529.
cowards not making a really, really big The Last Hero :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Jedit posted:

They're all already available in that format and have been for a little while.

E: https://www.discworldemporium.com/21-the-discworld-collector-s-library

Complete set barring The Last Hero is £529. The Bromeliad is also available separately in the same format.

Good Omens is in a similar cover though not quite the same. Still looks good on the shelf next to the rest of them