Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Literally A Person posted:

If it's PPE to keep you from falling to a bloody death screaming "OH GOD NOW I UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING" as you plummet, go with something that has a good pedigree. Cost is secondary so long as you have the money hanging around for it.
Ok, but what if I don't value my own life, Mr smarty pants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Slugworth posted:

Ok, but what if I don't value my own life, Mr smarty pants?

Wish.com

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

If it's PPE to keep you from falling to a bloody death screaming "OH GOD NOW I UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING" as you plummet, go with something that has a good pedigree. Cost is secondary so long as you have the money hanging around for it.

Oh yeah regardless of anything I'm only buying from like, Guardian, 3M or Petzl, which rules out all the $60 Chinese brand Amazon specials. I'm just hoping for the mythical trifecta of good, cheap, and easy to find.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

corgski posted:

Oh yeah regardless of anything I'm only buying from like, Guardian, 3M or Petzl, which rules out all the $60 Chinese brand Amazon specials. I'm just hoping for the mythical trifecta of good, cheap, and easy to find.

o7

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Looking for a recommendation on something very ordinary and boring: I need a new cordless power drill. My old Makita 12v finally died.

I don't need anything heavy-duty enough to do, say, masonry work, but I do want something more powerful. Something that can reliably drive screws through inch-thick wooden posts, and reliably do light indoor work when I'm holding the loving thing over my head at an awkward angle.

I'm going to be buying this with a gift card to Lowe's, so I'm not considering online deals or proprietary lines for other stores. I once worked part-time for a contractor, but that's been 15 years ago, so I have no idea which brands are still reliable and which have gone to poo poo.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Are you in anyone's battery ecosystem yet? All the big guys make pretty comparable cordless drills and all of them offer a few models ranging from dinky to badass. If you already own the batteries just go for that brand's drill. If not, always Makita.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Not really. I have a cordless light-duty chainsaw and weedeater from Kobalt, but I'm sure it's not the same battery anyway. Weirdly, it looks like Lowe's doesn't carry Makita anything anymore.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

corgski posted:

We do have some Petzl Newtons at work too and they aren't as comfy as the Sala Exofits but I've never found them uncomfortable or unsafe feeling, and I'm probably on the larger side of people wearing a fall harness. It's got enough adjust-ability that it should work as long as you start with the right size.

https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Professional/Harnesses/NEWTON-international-version

e. Forgot about the brand until you mentioned them again, I do try and go for the exofits when I can though.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Halloween Jack posted:

Not really. I have a cordless light-duty chainsaw and weedeater from Kobalt, but I'm sure it's not the same battery anyway.

Well, for mostly light duty work people are def going to recommend looking at Ryobi. But they are wrong. Some people will recommend DeWalt. They are also wrong. Some smart and handsome people will tell you Makita. They are the smartest and most handsome of all.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Lowes has been having in store clearance deals on 20v Dewalt kits. I would check a local store or two.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita are all going to be great.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lowes doesn’t carry Milwaukee or Makita so that really limits your options to DeWalt or something lower like Metabo/Bosch.

I wouldn’t bother with Skil/Craftsman/Kobalt. They make some fine tools but not known for cordless stuff.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Wow, thanks for the fast responses! I just have one follow-up: should I be suspicious of "20 volt max?" I read somewhere that these are basically 18v tools, and they called them that just to distinguish them from last year's product line. But it's immediately suspicious in the same way as "up to 50% off."

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I don't think it's something you need to worry about from DeWalt. It's marketing speak but at the end of the day the performance and reliability matters way more than specifically what voltage a tool uses to get there.

Also the 20v line has been the standard for dewalt for ages, it's not a yearly gimmick sort of thing.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Halloween Jack posted:

Wow, thanks for the fast responses! I just have one follow-up: should I be suspicious of "20 volt max?" I read somewhere that these are basically 18v tools, and they called them that just to distinguish them from last year's product line. But it's immediately suspicious in the same way as "up to 50% off."

DeWalt calls their 18V line "20V Max", which is dumb, but they're still good tools.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Halloween Jack posted:

It means nothing and also literally everyone does it.

A Milwaukee M12? It's not 12 volts. It's 10.8 volts. Or 11.2. This is the case with every 12 volt tool.
Makita 40v XGT? It's 36 volts.
80v outdoor tools from a huge variety of manufacturers? Actually 72 volts.

People are bitter because DeWalt was making 18v tools then when they completely changed battery and charger technologies they changed the battery interface and also the branding to help distinguish them. Should they have called it "18v tools version B, incompatible with version A"?

I'm on DeWalt and highly recommend, but Milwaukee and Makita also make fantastic tools and I'm sure I'd have no complaints if I'd gone with them.

My big recommendation is to get a brand that is sold at the closest hardware store, or the store you go to most often. That way you can pick up tools or batteries on short notice in the middle of a project. Sounds like you shop at Lowe's? Buy DeWalt.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

People are bitter because DeWalt was making 18v tools then when they completely changed battery and charger technologies they changed the battery interface and also the branding to help distinguish them. Should they have called it "18v tools version B, incompatible with version A"?
And this bullshit is how I left team yellow and moved to team neon green without looking back.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stealie72 posted:

And this bullshit is how I left team yellow and moved to team neon green without looking back.

So you left because they updated from lead acid rechargeables to lithium ion? And changed the battery interface like EVERYONE else because putting a lithium ion battery on a mechanically compatible lead acid charger will make things catch on fire amongst many other reasons that the old line of tools and accessories were really no longer compatible and attempting to keep compatibility would be exceptionally limiting to what new tools and technologies they could introduce with the new battery technology?

Look, I wasn't very happy about their very terrible 18v to 20v adapters and ended up replacing all of my tools eventually so I wouldn't have to deal with them anymore - but it was very preferable to deal with 18v lead acid rechargeables.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
What's missing from that picture is the fact Ryobi managed to complete that transition while keeping the same form factor on their batteries, its why even now you can take an old blue Ryobi that pre-dates lithium's and plug a brand new battery into it. In 2022 the utility of that is questionable since tools have advanced a long way, though I have a blue trim sander that works fine, but 12 years ago that was pretty great and shockingly consumer friendly compared to how things usually go.

Their chargers back then actually were dual chemistry as well able to charge both types of batteries.

Edit: None of this has anything to do with what tool line you should buy now of course, if you're only looking at Lowes Dewalt is fine and really the only full line available since the store brands are usually more limited and Bosch/Metabo have a limited selection in the US for the most part.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 23, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elem7 posted:

Their chargers back then actually were dual chemistry as well able to charge both types of batteries.

Which is the only reason they were able to do this: they were that late to the game and designed a battery system that they could scale for price.

The existing legit tool companies of the time had their lines out long before lithium ion was a thing you could design for so all the chargers were already out in the wild.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'll almost certainly go for a DeWalt. Bosch is also an option since I've had nothing but good luck with them, but I haven't bought a Bosch since I got one for my dad years ago.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Elem7 posted:

What's missing from that picture is the fact Ryobi managed to complete that transition while keeping the same form factor on their batteries, its why even now you can take an old blue Ryobi that pre-dates lithium's and plug a brand new battery into it. In 2022 the utility of that is questionable since tools have advanced a long way, though I have a blue trim sander that works fine, but 12 years ago that was pretty great and shockingly consumer friendly compared to how things usually go.

It's this. The one thing that ruled about having an old pile of Ryobi tools was that I had a pile of new batteries that worked with my old tools. I mean they've all been replaced (they all went missing from the garage during my divorce) , but when that transition happened Ryobi commitment to keeping their form factor.

Edit: this was good when I was a poor man and couldn't easily buy tools. I got my dad's castoffs and a set of his old dead rear end batteries and eventually scraped some cash for 2 new batteries and I had a bigley set of tools with batteries that didn't die after 3 holes.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 23, 2022

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

tater_salad posted:

when that transition happened Ryobi commitment to keeping their form factor.
Yuuup. This. I suddenly had the better part of a grand worth of DeWalt tools with 10 year old dying nicad batteries that needed $texas in legacy batteries that were not going to be part of any deal, or mystery meat chinesium batteries, or adapters that I'd have to remember to take off every time because they drain the battery.

So I spent the new battery money on Ryobi's "buy 2 batteries and get a free tool" a couple years ago and never looked back because I'm not a contractor and don't need tools that never break and last 20 years.

But to OP's question, Milwaukee, and DeWalt are both great.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Motronic posted:

So you left because they updated from lead acid rechargeables to lithium ion? And changed the battery interface like EVERYONE else because putting a lithium ion battery on a mechanically compatible lead acid charger will make things catch on fire amongst many other reasons that the old line of tools and accessories were really no longer compatible and attempting to keep compatibility would be exceptionally limiting to what new tools and technologies they could introduce with the new battery technology?

Look, I wasn't very happy about their very terrible 18v to 20v adapters and ended up replacing all of my tools eventually so I wouldn't have to deal with them anymore - but it was very preferable to deal with 18v lead acid rechargeables.

I thought everyone moved from Ni-Cad to lithium? Or are you equating Ni-Cad to lead acid? May learn something today.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I'll almost certainly go for a DeWalt. Bosch is also an option since I've had nothing but good luck with them, but I haven't bought a Bosch since I got one for my dad years ago.

I like the Bosch stuff I have, but I think you’d be better off with DeWalt for tool selection if you do wind up wanting other stuff. Bosch has a more limited lineup (here anyway.)

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Yeah, Bosch makes awesome stuff but tool availability in the states can be tough. They are also known for over-engineering the crap out of their tools. Just second hand talking to other craftsman I have heard about a drop in quality of the stuff they ship to the US over the last 2 or 3 years but can't substantiate.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ryobi tools are extremely on sale right now. They have drill-driver-charger-battery combos for like $70. That's $70 Canadian. The best part of Ryobi is all of the accessories - the bluetooth speaker/usb charger is amazing and it's on sale right now too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

I thought everyone moved from Ni-Cad to lithium? Or are you equating Ni-Cad to lead acid? May learn something today.

Nah, I just didn't come up with NiCad in my not-fully-caffeinated state. It's been quite some time since I've even thought about it.....

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah, Bosch makes awesome stuff but tool availability in the states can be tough. They are also known for over-engineering the crap out of their tools. Just second hand talking to other craftsman I have heard about a drop in quality of the stuff they ship to the US over the last 2 or 3 years but can't substantiate.
I think Bosch more than other companies sells a cheaper and lower quality line at the big box stores to compete at that price point and sells their higher quality stuff through more specialty dealers. You can get a $120 Bosch jigsaw at Lowe’s that’s made in China or Malaysia and is fine but not great, or if you look around you can still get a really nice $250 Bosch jigsaw that’s made in the EU.

I don’t think DeWalt at least really does that-the decent table saw they sell at Lowe’s is the one they make, and you won’t find a nicer version of it at a tools dealer.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hey tool thread, question about wood routers! I just snagged a Ryobi router from the Ryobi days sale, hell yeah, but that means that I need bits for it! :ohdear:

Pretend I know nothing about woodworking/routers, is there a bit set that would cover most general uses with the router? Should I just go with a Ryobi X number of pieces set, then kind of branch out from there? Am I overthinking drill bits?! :derp:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

Pretend I know nothing about woodworking/routers,
Wear eye protection!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Wear eye protection!

lol okay pretend I know proper PPE and nothing else! :science:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Hey tool thread, question about wood routers! I just snagged a Ryobi router from the Ryobi days sale, hell yeah, but that means that I need bits for it! :ohdear:

Pretend I know nothing about woodworking/routers, is there a bit set that would cover most general uses with the router? Should I just go with a Ryobi X number of pieces set, then kind of branch out from there? Am I overthinking drill bits?! :derp:

Buy the x set of Ryobi bits they are decent bits and work well as a starter kit. When you wear one out buy the diablo or higher bit to replace it.

Edit: The thought here is you have a bunch of bits you may need at an okay price. But then you replace them with bits that last longer for the ones you actually use regularly.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 23, 2022

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

I've been following the "get a big cheap set, burn the ones you use out and replace them with quality bits" path and it's been working out for me so far. I've only ended up replaced 3 or 4 of the 12 bits in the set so far, but having a big set to play with was nice when I was getting started.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I got this set from MLCS as a gift. The bits themselves are good, and it's a very good price for the variety you'll get.

However, it's also complete overkill in terms of sheer number of bits, at least for me. You might be better served by taking inventory of what you're most likely to use and spending the money on just a few more expensive bits instead, like those with a spiral cut. I've only heard good things about Whiteside and CMT, for example.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks for the advice, everybody!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

In addition to Ryobi, Ridgid also didn't change their form factor when they went from nicad to lithium ion.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

In addition to Ryobi, Ridgid also didn't change their form factor when they went from nicad to lithium ion.

So the last to the party budget consumer brands. I'm not sure how this is relevant to a buying decision on battery tools and what they may or may not do in the future when possibly introducing a new battery type or chemistry that we don't know about yet.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Trabant posted:

I got this set from MLCS as a gift.

However, it's also complete overkill in terms of sheer number of bits
Yeah, but half the fun of getting your first router is taking random bits to scrap wood to see all the cool stuff you can do!

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure how this is relevant to a buying decision on battery tools and what they may or may not do in the future when possibly introducing a new battery type or chemistry that we don't know about yet.
For Ryobi anyway, I'm going to go with "a large portion of their brand identity is built around every 18v tool working with every 18v battery" for the last 20 years. To your point, though, this would not have swayed me to switch to blue Ryobi since the tools were pretty assy. But neon green Ryobi is more than enough for DIY nerd homeowner poo poo where you don't need guaranteed up time and tens of thousands of hours of use.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think Bosch more than other companies sells a cheaper and lower quality line at the big box stores to compete at that price point and sells their higher quality stuff through more specialty dealers. You can get a $120 Bosch jigsaw at Lowe’s that’s made in China or Malaysia and is fine but not great, or if you look around you can still get a really nice $250 Bosch jigsaw that’s made in the EU.

I don’t think DeWalt at least really does that-the decent table saw they sell at Lowe’s is the one they make, and you won’t find a nicer version of it at a tools dealer.

I don't know about the US, but over here in Europe we have basically two flavors of Bosch. The cheaper and fine for most things that come in green, and the more expensive pro stuff that comes in blue. Usually referred to as Bosch green and Bosch blue.