Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Xenomrph posted:

But everyone knows the Legends timeline ended in 2003 with ‘New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force’? :confused:

bunnyofdoom posted:

False. Mercy Kill exists

Both wrong, it ends with Legacy: War issue 6. Weird that they didn't publish anything in between TUF and Legacy except for Mercy Kill and Crosscurrent though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xenomrph posted:

But everyone knows the Legends timeline ended in 2003 with ‘New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force’? :confused:
2014 is just when Disney killed it, not when it went bad.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Good point, everyone. It has been a while since we’ve summoned jivjov to the thread.

I mean this with love, jivjov.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

bunnyofdoom posted:

False. Mercy Kill exists

No I mean, the chronological timeline ends with The Unifying Force, for whatever reason they never published anything set after that and that’s probably for the best. They obviously published other stuff set at other points in the timeline.

Edit- wait, Mercy Kill is set post-NJO isn’t it? Then yeah you’re right, that’s where the timeline stops.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mercy Kill is set after LOTF, ties into it pretty heavily, and suffers for it. It has its good points, but really gets dragged down by association with one the worst series.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Casimir Radon posted:

Mercy Kill is set after LOTF, ties into it pretty heavily, and suffers for it. It has its good points, but really gets dragged down by association with one the worst series.

On the other hand, middle aged gamoreon strip show and yes that's an actual highlight.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Humerus posted:

Luke has his saber in the flashback(s) in TLJ, but he uses Anakin's in his force projection at the end of the movie (to gently caress with Kylo). I swear it's in that little hidey hole next to Leia's when he gives that to Rey in TRoS but I've only seen it once so I can't be 100% sure.

Nope, it's just Leia's in the hole, and she buries Anakin's and Leia's at the end of TROS

The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition says that the green saber's now stored in Ahch-To's repository, along with the rest of Luke's belongings

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Vinylshadow posted:

Nope, it's just Leia's in the hole, and she buries Anakin's and Leia's at the end of TROS

The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition says that the green saber's now stored in Ahch-To's repository, along with the rest of Luke's belongings

I haven't seen the movie in a while, but I thought there was a quick shot of the disassembled lightsaber hanging on the wall of Luke's shed.

thrawn527 posted:

Why wouldn’t he have it? He only threw it down in ROTJ to make a point to the Emperor. He wasn’t saying he would never use it again. Presumably, he picked it up again when he picked up Vader.

It's not fair to ask the movies to conform to my singular vision of what the franchise would be, but in my headcanon I always figured that after Luke tossed his lightsaber away in ROTJ, he never used it again until he considers killing Kylo Ren (which makes that mistake all the worse). Why wouldn't he embrace a kind of radical pacifism after that's what destroyed Darth Vader?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rochallor posted:

It's not fair to ask the movies to conform to my singular vision of what the franchise would be, but in my headcanon I always figured that after Luke tossed his lightsaber away in ROTJ, he never used it again until he considers killing Kylo Ren (which makes that mistake all the worse). Why wouldn't he embrace a kind of radical pacifism after that's what destroyed Darth Vader?

luke used his lightsaber to fight vampire dinosaurs like a week after the emperor died

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xenomrph posted:

No I mean, the chronological timeline ends with The Unifying Force, for whatever reason they never published anything set after that and that’s probably for the best. They obviously published other stuff set at other points in the timeline.

Edit- wait, Mercy Kill is set post-NJO isn’t it? Then yeah you’re right, that’s where the timeline stops.
The timeline stops in 140 ABY. The comics kept breaking new ground long after the novels had given up and gone back to "what if Han Solo... before he met Luke... did a heist?" forever.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Arquinsiel posted:

The timeline stops in 140 ABY. The comics kept breaking new ground long after the novels had given up and gone back to "what if Han Solo... before he met Luke... did a heist?" forever.

Hey that's not fair.

He did the heist right after ANH

(I like Solo's11 ok?)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You are correct, it was set after the battle of Yavin. It's also probably Zahn's best work TBH.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Moose King posted:

Another Obi-wan thing from the book: Palpatine's manipulation of Anakin includes planting the suspicion that there's something going on behind his back between Padme and Obi-wan. So when Padme shows up on Mustafar at the end, with Obi-wan, it's just a punch to the gut of a betrayal for Anakin. That book is so good.

this was actually a scene that was cut from the film, if i remember right.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do wish the films had gone further into the fact that Obi Wan absolutely knows what's going on with Anakin and Padme but he keeps quiet out of love for his friend. Score one for TCW acknowledging that.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Finished up Brotherhood, and similar to Master and Apprentice, noticed it has a lot of similarities with the prequel movie it's placed around

Master and Apprentice had Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan safeguarding a queen

Brotherhood had:

- Obi-Wan and Dexter interactions
- Obi-Wan going off alone on a mystery hunt
- Anakin spending time with a stubborn female who tags along on his missions (with no awkward romance given she's nine this time)
- Dooku working through an agent
- Padme being used to forward a message to Coruscant
- Obi-Wan getting apprehended and put on trial
- Anakin coming in to save Obi-Wan

Can't wait to see what novel they release for RotS's 20th anniversary

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Moose King posted:

Another Obi-wan thing from the book: Palpatine's manipulation of Anakin includes planting the suspicion that there's something going on behind his back between Padme and Obi-wan. So when Padme shows up on Mustafar at the end, with Obi-wan, it's just a punch to the gut of a betrayal for Anakin. That book is so good.

These are actually deleted scenes from the movie. They're available on the DVD but I noticed that they're not among the deleted scenes included on Disney+. Guess someone at Disney dd not like the thought of Palpatine suggesting to Anakin that he was getting cuckolded by Obi-Wan.

Humerus posted:

Luke has his saber in the flashback(s) in TLJ, but he uses Anakin's in his force projection at the end of the movie (to gently caress with Kylo). I swear it's in that little hidey hole next to Leia's when he gives that to Rey in TRoS but I've only seen it once so I can't be 100% sure.

I always thought the green lightsaber would have been better in the TLJ end scene, given the sight of it about to cut him in half was what caused Ben to snap in the first place.

Rochallor posted:

I don't disagree, which is also why it's funny that the Battlefront II campaign has Luke just hacking apart stormtroopers like a week after ROTJ.

Vinylshadow posted:

- Obi-Wan and Dexter interactions

For a second I read this as Obi-Wan and Dexter intercourse.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

For a second I read this as Obi-Wan and Dexter intercourse.

Nah. That would have been in the now canceled 1313 game. Some real Coruscant Nights poo poo.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I did not have "fan adaptation of the Lusankya escape from The Krytos Trap" on my Star Wars bingo card for this week but I'll take it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urAnFZBx7rE

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cross-Section posted:

I did not have "fan adaptation of the Lusankya escape from The Krytos Trap" on my Star Wars bingo card for this week but I'll take it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urAnFZBx7rE

Also their call signs are Wraith One and Wraith Two

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Xenomrph posted:

Did they ever resolve how Maz Kanata got Luke’s old saber?
Real question, does anything in the NuCanon touch on this?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Search your feelings.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I searched my old tweets

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

In the lead up to TLJ, Disney's Hollywood Studios changed up the Star Wars Launchpad which is where the character photo ops are (or possibly were, not sure if they all got moved to the Galaxy's Edge area) and they had a bunch of concept art from TFA on display. The one for Anakin's saber had some incredibly vague "Maz bought it from a trash collector" explanation.

Now, I've recently been wrong about lightsaber lore in the sequel trilogy and this is something I saw in passing like 6 years ago or so. But my point is, JJ wanted it in his movie because it was in Episode 4 and what other reason do you need?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Karma Tornado posted:

I searched my old tweets

lol that’s an awesome Twitter handle/avatar.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Air Budd Dw???

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

General Battuta posted:

Air Budd Dw???

Air Budd Dwyer.

Budd Dwyer was a famous politician who shot himself live on camera. The avatar is a dog's head over that very moment. With Dwyer's eyebrows added and everything.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Humerus posted:

In the lead up to TLJ, Disney's Hollywood Studios changed up the Star Wars Launchpad which is where the character photo ops are (or possibly were, not sure if they all got moved to the Galaxy's Edge area) and they had a bunch of concept art from TFA on display. The one for Anakin's saber had some incredibly vague "Maz bought it from a trash collector" explanation.

In the leadup to Episode 7, someone got ahold of some production scene descriptions for a bunch of the movie, which included cut scenes illustrating what happened to the lightsaber. Apparently the original opening of the movie featured the lightsaber floating through space (with Luke's hand still attached for some reason), before it gets caught in a planet's gravity and falls towards the surface (with the hand burning away on entry).
The saber is then found on the planet by some alien in the wilderness, who turns it on and accidently starts a grassfire and sells it to someone else, and I think it eventually ended up with Kylo and the Knights, who then had the saber stolen from them by Maz.

This version of events is probably no longer canon, and considering Big Sheev ended up getting ahold of Luke's hand and using it to clone Snoke, it's likely that the saber itself ended up with the Sith for a while. Maybe it'll show up in the Ahsoka series if they do end up doing a Thrawn Trilogy mashup and it turns out that creepy deepfake Luke was actually a soulless clone the whole time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wait, Snoke was cloned from Luke’s hand?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i can't believe they stuffed the glove of darth vader and luuke into a single storyline, and then didn't tell anyone

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Xenomrph posted:

According to a somewhat recent comic, yes. A Vader comic, I think. He goes to Exegol and finds out about the whole thing.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Yep.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Luuke...

Snoke...

What does it mean??

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Robot Style posted:

In the leadup to Episode 7, someone got ahold of some production scene descriptions for a bunch of the movie, which included cut scenes illustrating what happened to the lightsaber. Apparently the original opening of the movie featured the lightsaber floating through space (with Luke's hand still attached for some reason), before it gets caught in a planet's gravity and falls towards the surface (with the hand burning away on entry).
The saber is then found on the planet by some alien in the wilderness, who turns it on and accidently starts a grassfire and sells it to someone else, and I think it eventually ended up with Kylo and the Knights, who then had the saber stolen from them by Maz.

This version of events is probably no longer canon, and considering Big Sheev ended up getting ahold of Luke's hand and using it to clone Snoke, it's likely that the saber itself ended up with the Sith for a while. Maybe it'll show up in the Ahsoka series if they do end up doing a Thrawn Trilogy mashup and it turns out that creepy deepfake Luke was actually a soulless clone the whole time.

The Art of TROS book mentions that Lando's desert vehicle from Episode IX was a reused design from the alternate Rey flashback scene in Episode 7, where it was going to belong to the alien who found Luke's saber.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

You can't spell Luke Skywalker's Lost Hand without SNOKE

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Of course none of that explains how they got it out of Bespin in the first place, what with it falling out the arse end of Cloud City into a gas giant and all.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

FYI, there's a panel at Celebration today on Lucasfilm publishing.

Lucasfilm Publishing: Stories From a Galaxy Far, Far Away
Dark Horse, Del Rey, Disney Lucasfilm Press and others reveal what’s planned for later this year and beyond for novels, comics and books set in that galaxy far, far away.
Time: 1 p.m. PT, 4 p.m. EDT, 2000 GMT, 9 p.m. UK time (GMT+1)
Place: Live on the Twin Suns Stage

And another just on the High Republic.

The High Republic: For Light and Life
Writers and creatives gather to talk about that period before the Skywalker saga, known as The High Republic, including a look at what's already been written and what's due to be published as the next wave gets underway.
Time: 3 p.m. PT, 6 p.m. EDT, 2200 GMT, 11 p.m. UK time (GMT+1)
Place: Live on the Galaxy Stage

Neither are being streamed, unfortunately, but there might be some announcements coming.

All the panels (some of which will be streamed) are listed here.

Arquinsiel posted:

Of course none of that explains how they got it out of Bespin in the first place, what with it falling out the arse end of Cloud City into a gas giant and all.

Did the Thrawn trilogy ever explain that either?

And who is to say it fell into the gas giant? Luke fell into a tube. Maybe his hand did, too, and maybe that tube wasn't one that just dropped everything into the clouds? Who knows? That part honestly isn't that important to me. Both the old EU and the new one somehow found Luke's hand. It's extremely silly in both.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 26, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The idea of there being some wonkily installed pipe on Cloud City that just keeps filling up with inexplicable severed hands is pretty funny though.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

seemed pretty clear that Luke was sucked into that chute, no reason to think that his hand & saber didn't also get sucked into one.

Also they'd have been light enough not to roll to a stop and trigger the "drop this heavy thing" door.

Now we just have to boot up a series that follows the Cloud City janitorial staff as they discover something very strange...

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Goddamn now that would make a good story for those "Certain Point of View" collections. I haven't read those, are they any good, exclusion of Cloud City Cleanup Crew notwithstanding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m surprised we haven’t gotten anything in the vein of the old Tales From… anthologies, like Tales From Canto Bight or Tales From Takodana.

Wait, as I think about it, we did get a Canto Bight book, didn’t we?