Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DurianGray posted:

I think I need to add the Inthya series to my TBR if it's got trans werewolves though, that sounds rad.

I enjoyed them a lot, with the caveat that it's a planned six-book series that currently exists as five books + a bunch of short stories on Patreon; each book is its own story but there's also an overarching metaplot that has as yet seen no resolution.

They're all fantasy lesbian romances with the formula "take someone from an abusive shithole past and put them in an environment full of friendly and supportive people and watch things get better for them", with each book following a different pair of leads in the same setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

ToxicFrog posted:

What do people think "cis" stands for? I'm going crazy here trying to figure it out.

I just assumed all the Fox talking heads were really obsessed with the former Soviet bloc.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Has anyone in here who grew up with them reread Artemis Fowl as an adult? How'd you feel about it?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

ToxicFrog posted:

I enjoyed them a lot, with the caveat that it's a planned six-book series that currently exists as five books + a bunch of short stories on Patreon; each book is its own story but there's also an overarching metaplot that has as yet seen no resolution.

They're all fantasy lesbian romances with the formula "take someone from an abusive shithole past and put them in an environment full of friendly and supportive people and watch things get better for them", with each book following a different pair of leads in the same setting.

And the author isn't the kind of coward who uses subtext? That's definitely going on the list.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Shitstorm Trooper posted:

Has anyone in here who grew up with them reread Artemis Fowl as an adult? How'd you feel about it?

I read them as a kid and thought they were pretty cool. Now, I haven't reread them but I imagine they would be lame. Same with Series of Unfortunate Events. I did reread those and the first few are decent but it just goes on too long with no concrete resolution.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

MartingaleJack posted:

The Culture is basically the perfect trans friendly universe. You can be anything. Even an orbital weapons platform.

Truly, one can finally identify as an attack helicopter.

Obviously CiS stands for Correct Internal Sexuality and I will be taking no questions at this time :colbert:

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Against a Dark Background by Iain M Banks - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CT0TXK/

Shaman by Kim Stanley Robinson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C102SPC/

The Traitor Spy trilogy by Trudi Canavan
The Ambassador's Mission (#1) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00351DSHI/
The Rogue (#2) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047Y16K8/
The Traitor Queen (#3) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WUW72K/

The Traitor Son Cycle by Miles Cameron
The Dread Wyrm (#3) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011J4H2XS/
The Plague of Swords (#4) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HBK294G/
The Fall of Dragons (#5) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUQLAV2/

Spellsinger series by Sebastien de Castell
Queenslayer (#5) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H7H9WR5/
Crownbreaker (#6) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NL6ZZ3V/

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MartingaleJack posted:

The Culture is basically the perfect trans friendly universe. You can be anything. Even an orbital weapons platform.

As previously mentioned I'm a CiS-gender male, but I work in the "service industry" and there are times with some stupid/rude customer that I really do identity as an orbital weapons platform.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
what I dislike about the Culture stuff is that the implication seems to be that most everyone is super jaded with their utopia

that is not very utopic

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

thotsky posted:

what I dislike about the Culture stuff is that the implication seems to be that most everyone is super jaded with their utopia

that is not very utopic

The implication is most people are ecstatic with it. We just follow the jaded ones because all the normal people are off having 2 week orgies or whatever while the leads dick around trying to find deeper meaning

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

thotsky posted:

that is not very utopic

Zore posted:

The implication is most people are ecstatic with it. We just follow the jaded ones because all the normal people are off having 2 week orgies or whatever while the leads dick around trying to find deeper meaning

and that lives are so long you can spend 20 years in orgies, master a particular skill for a 'lifetime', hand build a house and still have hundreds of years to do something else

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Does the last of the first five Amber books (The Courts of Chaos) by Roger Zelazny actually contain an ending, so I don't have to order the next five?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Does the last of the first five Amber books (The Courts of Chaos) by Roger Zelazny actually contain an ending, so I don't have to order the next five?

Yes. They’re two separate (but related) series.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kalman posted:

Yes. They’re two separate (but related) series.

Cool, thanks. I got worried when I noticed the first three books are all just the same on-going story.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Runcible Cat posted:

God knows how many books out there where people can change into wolves and hawks and dragons and naked mole rats and bags of prawn cocktail crisps and whatever, but into themselves but a different gender? Inconceivable!

It's often really amusing the lengths people will go to, to preserve gender through otherwise crazy transformations. Like if a girl turned into a chair, some people would think it would be appropriate if it was somehow a girly chair.

I remember there's one episode of the horrible Star Trek Enterprise where Archer and three crew get stuck in some kind of room full of white alien goo that makes them all mind meld. One of the crew members is female, so they conveniently have her pass out and not be involved in the mind meld.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yes, it has an ending. It's the second series that ends on a bit of a cliffhanger with no follow-up ever written.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Non Krampus Mentis posted:

It’s astonishing to me that a fantasy author doesn’t have the imagination to conceive of a fantasy society that has a place for transition-related magic. You’re going to ask me to believe that a dude can fall in love at first sight with a magic horse* or a sorcerer father can use his daughter as a magical battery, but trans people just can’t do anything with magic to improve their lives?

*I think this was a Lackey book

I suspect this is a big reason why she was already on thin ice with some people.

ToxicFrog posted:

What do people think "cis" stands for? I'm going crazy here trying to figure it out.

Commonwealth of Independent States, naturally. :eng101:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

GTD Aquitaine posted:

I suspect this is a big reason why she was already on thin ice with some people.

Commonwealth of Independent States, naturally. :eng101:

Confederacy of Independent Systems?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

Yes, it has an ending. It's the second series that ends on a bit of a cliffhanger with no follow-up ever written.

Since I'm reading the Amber books for the first time myself, is the second series worth reading otherwise? I don't mind a cliffhanger but I vaguely remember hearing that the second set of books isn't great for other reasons as well. I know it's generally known that they were Zelazny's "money" books and not necessarily his "fun" books so to speak.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
They're not as good but they're not very long and pretty easy reads.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Danhenge posted:

They're not as good but they're not very long and pretty easy reads.

Hmm okay. I'll see how I feel when I finish the first set of books. So far I've only listened to the first two as audiobooks at work while doing soldering projects, and they were good popcorn fantasy for that, but I don't know if I'd want ten books of it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

pradmer posted:

The Traitor Son Cycle by Miles Cameron
The Dread Wyrm (#3) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011J4H2XS/
The Plague of Swords (#4) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HBK294G/
The Fall of Dragons (#5) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUQLAV2/

Also this is a terrible double-post but goddamn it why does the second book in this series never get discounted! I've had 1 and 3-5 for a while now!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Since I'm reading the Amber books for the first time myself, is the second series worth reading otherwise? I don't mind a cliffhanger but I vaguely remember hearing that the second set of books isn't great for other reasons as well. I know it's generally known that they were Zelazny's "money" books and not necessarily his "fun" books so to speak.

The second series is decent enough, and I’d say it’s fairly different. The first cycle (Corwin’s books) is fundamentally a very 60s detective series; the second cycle (Merlin’s books) gets a little bit more of the 80s cyberpunk vibe going.

(I didn’t think that the second cycle ended on a particular cliffhanger; it left future plot open for a sequel but it closed up the main storyline.)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
yeah, they're both fine, and about the length of a single modern novel each. I get not being into the second series but, eh, I think it's fine.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Sax Solo posted:

It's often really amusing the lengths people will go to, to preserve gender through otherwise crazy transformations. Like if a girl turned into a chair, some people would think it would be appropriate if it was somehow a girly chair.

I remember there's one episode of the horrible Star Trek Enterprise where Archer and three crew get stuck in some kind of room full of white alien goo that makes them all mind meld. One of the crew members is female, so they conveniently have her pass out and not be involved in the mind meld.

Light by M. John Harrison depicts a future society where many people live half their lives in VR, transformative body modification is commplace, and sufficiently wealthy people can casually download their brains into vat-grown bodies.

This society also has an old-timey carnival where people come to gawk at a "half-man half-woman".

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

pradmer posted:

The Traitor Spy trilogy by Trudi Canavan
The Ambassador's Mission (#1) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00351DSHI/
The Rogue (#2) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047Y16K8/
The Traitor Queen (#3) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WUW72K/

This is a sequel trilogy, set some 20 years after the events of The Black Magician trilogy. Most of the plot will focus on Sonea's son and some other characters. We still get Sonea POVs, but she doesn't have as much of a major plot line the way she originally did in the first trilogy, which I feel like is a bit of a missed opportunity because it would have been SO INTERESTING. Cerys gets a plot line of his own too and his arc is more interesting than Sonea's. Regin features as well, though I feel like the execution fell short of the idea (it was a good idea, but I wanted to see it developed more on the page instead of being mostly skipped over).

Danhenge posted:

I really enjoyed book 1 and book 2, but I think there's a definite decline across the whole series so if you're already not enjoying it I wouldn't force it.

After I saw your post, I decided to give the rest of the book (Jenn Lyons' The Ruin of Kings) the benefit of the doubt and pushed through to the end. Where I've landed is...somewhere between disappointed and ambivalent. For such a hyped debut, it was a real let down. None of those convoluted plot structures ended up paying off in any significant fashion in Book 1. Maybe they will pay off in later books (I can't see how based on how they've been constructed), but if you're going to set up this many of them (here's my final count: "tell me a story", "magic rock", "footnoted transcript from a narrator", "alternating POVs with one of those POVs being in a different timeline") you better have at least ONE epic pay-off to make it worth my eyerolling.

Plot twists pile up in this book like body counts in grimdark fantasy. "I'm your father." "No, I'm your father." "No, he's actually your real father." "She's not your real mother." "She's your mother." "But wait, she's not really who you think she is, except when she is, biologically, unless we're speaking in terms of her soul." This confusion over true parentage happens not just to the protagonist but to a bunch of characters. And thanks to the body swapping mechanic that enables this bloodline confusion, we also have ancient characters popping up all over the place in a way the strains credulity. Not one. Not two. Not three. Not four. Like, five, at least. I don't know, because I stopped caring and lost count of them.

Also the last 1/5th of this book just has stuff come out of nowhere. Absolute nowhere, that is not foreshadowed. There was at least one scene where the protagonist is yeeted off to a random location, that I thought was some sort of magical funny business in a dream world or something, but no, actually physically transported there, and actually actually the protagonist was the one who did the yeeting, and actually actually actually nobody understands how that happened, least of all the perennially clueless protagonist.

Who then magically gains convenient ancient knowledge and powers from his past live/s just in time to avail himself of them when all hell breaks loose. You don't get a slow bleed or flood gate catalyst of these past lives coming to the fore. It just...happens.

Also imo the way the prophecy is finally fulfilled is pretty lame. Spoilers: he literally stumbles across a legendary god-killing sword by complete accident and uses it to break one of the eight god-level artifacts, specifically the one that bound demons. I don't have a problem with the end result; but I do have a problem with how the book got there.

Also also everybody is inexplicably in love/intrigued by the protagonist who is the whiniest kid ever but he's SO PRETTY and ugh. I get the same vibes off Lyons' Kihrin as I do off Sarah J Maas's Celaena from Throne of Glass, of which I have only ever hate-read the sample because it was so :barf: worthy.

TL;DR there are enough ideas for like 25 different epic fantasy series in The Ruin of Kings and it all got crammed into one volume at the expense of things like character development. I'm not gonna bother with the rest of the series.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I gave up on the Spellmonger books after Book 3 when it really embraced some PUA stuff. It still had interesting battles and politics, but I just don't know if I can take it anymore, on top of all the breasting boobily that the female characters are doing all the time anyway.

Made the mistake of going from that to Three Hearts and Three Lions. I was not expecting the hero to also just be such an idiotic horndog who seems to make the decision to ally with (or one might say, align with) Law or Chaos based on who he'd rather bang more: Morgana le Fay, or a questionably of-age fake swanmay. I need to get away from the shithead horndog dude protags good lord. At least the guy coming in from Earth in the portal fantasy was on the right side of the RL war he came from.

ToxicFrog posted:

Some people think it stands for "comfortable in skin".

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sax Solo posted:

I gave up on the Spellmonger books after Book 3 when it really embraced some PUA stuff. It still had interesting battles and politics, but I just don't know if I can take it anymore, on top of all the breasting boobily that the female characters are doing all the time anyway.

Made the mistake of going from that to Three Hearts and Three Lions. I was not expecting the hero to also just be such an idiotic horndog who seems to make the decision to ally with (or one might say, align with) Law or Chaos based on who he'd rather bang more: Morgana le Fay, or a questionably of-age fake swanmay. I need to get away from the shithead horndog dude protags good lord. At least the guy coming in from Earth in the portal fantasy was on the right side of the RL war he came from.

Well, the drat thing came out in 1961. Archaic views on female character should probably have been expected. I'm still a little amazed that Tolkien gave the truly badass moment of killing the Witch-King to Eowyn (with an assist from Merry).

Sax Solo posted:

CiS isn't an acronym. According to Wikipedia Cis is derived from Latin and means something like "on this side of" while trans means "across from" or "on the other side of."

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Sax Solo posted:

please say sike

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Everyone posted:

CiS isn't an acronym. According to Wikipedia Cis is derived from Latin and means something like "on this side of" while trans means "across from" or "on the other side of."

So why do you write it CiS-gender you weird loving dumbass lol.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finished Sword of Destiny of Witcher, 25% done blood of elves (#3) now

I appreciate the tv show being as accurate to the books as possible

I am kind of bored though because I've basically heard it all already so far, minus a few things here or there

Not liking the narrator go back to Dan-dilli-on though.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Sax Solo posted:

pretty sure all of this comes from someone having spelled it that way and a lot of confusion about why that was done

unless that was the person who did it first then oops

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sax Solo posted:

Because that's how I saw other people write it and like a dumbass I assumed that was correct until now. Live and loving learn.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Zore posted:

I think Banks himself made the point that his culture stories all involve Contact or Special Circumstances (and the slightly- to very-weird people who work in them) because the vast majority of people in the Culture are off doing fun stuff they enjoy, and that doesn't make for very compelling storytelling. You do see some typical culture citizens around the fringes of some of the stories.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sax Solo posted:

ChAoS, probably.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
CIS means Commonwealth of Independent States

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
CiS means Commonwealth of independent States

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Commonweal of Independent States

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there is no gender, no laws, and no kings. Only Graydon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Equal Rites is 99p on the UK Kindle Store for the Glorious 25th only.