Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Are there any good YouTube channels for landscape design and horticulture? Eg this old house. Just trying to learn more and make good decisions.

It's very British so some of the advice is odd or non-applicable, but Gardener's World is one of my favorites. There are lots of uploads on YouTube even though they aren't supposed to be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Aside from the aforementioned (Crime Pays is my favorite, I could listen to Anthony lecture about flower structures forever):

Paul Plantu doesn’t really say anything super advanced or special, and sometimes he gets poo poo flat wrong, but I really love the affable stoner energy he brings to all of his videos.

Cactus Quest is like the more serious and polished version, ie a channel where it’s obvious the creator’s been liberally taking substances during the production process, albeit with a succulent/desert plant-specific focus. He meets with some serious experts and leaders in the field/hobby/industry.

Techplant is cool, kind of more of a “standard YouTuber” vibe, and of course there’s Epic Gardening, the king of us all.

MissOrchidGirl is very good with orchids and has a really deep/strong back catalog at this point. Cactus Caffeine is the sober Cactus Quest.

I really like Benjiplant’s vibe, and so does the internet apparently because his channel continues to blow up.

On the bonsai front, I like them all. I know some old heads really hate Nigel Saunders and Herons but a lot of their stuff is really good for the hobbyist, often way better and more relatable/immediately applicable than a lot of the more technique/display/time lapse focused and/or “pro” channels, and I still enjoy keeping up with them. Mirai and Eisei-En are both must-subscribes.

I also really like Greenwood Bonsai’s channel, Bonsai Worx + Aussie Bonsai Bloke out of Asstralia, Bonsaify, bonsaiQ (these are pros in Japan, it can be challenging to follow at times but extremely worth it), kisetsu-en, bonsai-yeah!, saruyama/Peter Warren, blue sky bonsai, David Easterbrook (this guy is a serious pro, former bonsai curator at Montreal Botanical Gardens), Bonsai Supply, and a bunch more I’ve forgotten.

Also Rome Tokyo One Way is excellent, it’s just this Italian expat couple who live in Tokyo going to all the best shows and competitions and expos and sales and every nursery and just filming really well shot walkthroughs (with permission, supposedly).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

So, update on my mission to replace the dead rhodo, rootbound by clay soil.

Based on thread recommendation I have expanded the original hole to about 17 inches deep and about two feet around:

As you can see, most of the hole is that heavy, more or less impermeable clay. If I wanted to put a hydrangea or other shade tolerant flowering shrub here, will this be big enough for healthy root growth, assuming I fill in with decent soil and compost, or will I want to go bigger around and/or deeper? I also plan to poke some holes for drainage into the clay itself with a spading fork, fwiw.

Unrelated, I've got some peonies that have enough flower buds on them that they've gotten top-heavy and are splayed out all over close to the ground. What's the best way to shore them up so they grow properly?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

My wife got an echeveria a while ago that got super etiolated before it came into our care and died when we tried to repot without looking up info so this is like an apology. I brushed out all the roots I felt comfortable and kept a couple pups while clearing all the lovely petals. Question: will they fight for space in this situation?

Probably eventually, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Unless you're putting something else in that pot there isn't any harm in spacing them out, though.

Meaty Ore posted:

Unrelated, I've got some peonies that have enough flower buds on them that they've gotten top-heavy and are splayed out all over close to the ground. What's the best way to shore them up so they grow properly?

A lot of plants will do that. You can give them stakes if it bothers you, but often they're used to growing in crowded conditions where the other plants provide support for the flower stalks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I'd say each half circle is about 3' wide, 1.5' deep, and the plants (blueberry and raspberry so far) are roughly 5' apart. I have no idea if those trellises will be adequate, but thought I'd start there and swap out something better down the line if need be. I'm also putting up a different trellis for the hops that are growing along the T post there. I know it's going to take two years and some pruning to bear fruit, but I figure there's no better time than the present to start!

If that's going to be a complete and total shitshow of inadequate spacing, I can redo stuff, I just relied on the googles for info. I'm half tempted to pull one of them apart here anyways because I'm fairly sure I inadvertently buried a hand trow when I filled it in :ohdear:
That feels like too small a root run to me, so I checked with Nourse Farms, where I buy berry starts. They recommend a 2' wide row, plants centered in the row 8-12 inches apart. You aren't far outside that. Give it a try and see what happens. Also, be prepared to bleed.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Meaty Ore posted:

You can buy decorative cages, but that's a big enough row where you'll need a few of them.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

OSU_Matthew posted:

Thanks! I'll poke around some nurseries, that's a good thought. I was worried that might be a bit too broad to ask, but I'm basically looking for 6'ish tall and narrow plants and possibly shrubs. Oh, I'd also say it's about 60-40 shade/sun there

Are there any good YouTube channels for landscape design and horticulture? Eg this old house. Just trying to learn more and make good decisions.

TOH is great for a lot of things, but their landscape design seems to be little more than what can be found at the clearance rack at Home Depot. That always seem to pick the most boring, plainest and most common cultivars and everything is based on a NE winter so almost no flowering bulbs or tubers to speak of.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

drat this is one showy motherfucker

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Shops around here sell "peony cages" that are basically an oversized tomato cage, sometimes painted in various colors. This might look worse than just leaving them alone.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Meaty Ore posted:

I use tomato cages, but they only work for the smallest plants we have. Peonies have gone gangbusters for us this year. Wife has filled like 6 vases inside with them and they just keep coming.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Brawnfire posted:

Amazing poo poo right here, what is it exactly? There are few things I love more than plants with multiple colors.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

A bearded iris, I'm mostly certain it's this variety: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Breck-s-Orange-and-Purple-Flowering-Perennial-Ocelot-Bearded-Iris-Live-Bareroot-Plant-02273/310633664

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Brawnfire posted:

Goddamn that's an amazing iris. I came to post pics of my irises, most of which have started blooming, but now I feel inadequate. Anyways:

This big red one is putting on an excellent show with three stalks of flowers all blooming at once and it's like twice as big (in terms of rhizome spread) as it was last year.

My neighbor's horde of classic purple irises are in the background. She said I could have some because they've been spreading and are starting to subsume everything around them. So I'll be dividing some of those later this summer. And the neighbor across the street has some cool ones, similar to the classic purples but with an almost antique rose sort of cast to them. I'll have to see if they'd be interested in trading with us.

One of my new acquisitions:

...Except it turned out I already had a really similar one, or the same but as if from a different dye lot or something:

My big frilly peachy one will open up any day now:

And the Siberian iris, another new acquisition. I think I'll be getting more because I love their electric indigo flowers and super thin leaves.

Still waiting on a few more varieties.

In other news, I ripped out the rabbit fence around my utter failure of a squash patch and have been working on converting the area, which is like the one sunny spot in the backyard, to an English garden style flowerbed.

I've so far got more irises (peach, white, and yellow), columbine, white bleeding heart, pansies, foxgloves, and buttercup. The classic foxgloves are from seeds I brought over from my parents' house and planted not too long after we moved in, and they're finally starting to get established.

I have more bleeding heart to plant (also got the pink variety), also Jack Frost brunnera, maidenhair ferns, other ferns, and some new hosta varieties (flowerbed transitions to partial then nearly full shade - opposite side of the yard is mature trees, dogwoods, ferns, hostas, more brunnera, and a couple other shade plants. I dug up buttercup plants from various and put them in a bunch - I'd been pulling them out as weeds previously but then I noticed that the neighbors were cultivating them and they looked really nice in bunches (as opposed to randomly popping up in my lawn). They're still kinda sad and floppy from being transplanted but since they're weeds they'll probably perk up.

Also there is a random flowering quince (I believe you guys helped me identify it). It recently produced an offspring off a root, so I think I'll transplant it to my new flowerbed corner as a backdrop plant against the fence. Also I imagine the increased amount of sun (it's in full shade right now) will help it produce more flowers.

As for achieving the English garden vibe, I honestly think my crusty old wire fence and the neighbor's birdbath kinda make it. It's probably the original fence (house built 1910), so it lends a distinct old timey vibe. Also it's a 2-in-1 fence and trellis for vines or morning glory or peas (speaking of peas, I'm going somewhere later this summer with wild peas everywhere so I might try to nab some specimens to bring back with me).

In conclusion, I've been having fun gardening and spending way too much money on flowers.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Chad Sexington posted:

I use tomato cages, but they only work for the smallest plants we have. Peonies have gone gangbusters for us this year. Wife has filled like 6 vases inside with them and they just keep coming.

I'm so jealous of people that live places where peonies grow.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I only have the one bearded Iris. I'm bad at remembering to stake things and they'd all end up flopping everywhere if I had more. Wasn't identified when I got it; looks like it might be cv. Northwest Pride.

My regular old pseudacorus is flowering, though. My cristata already did their thing a few weeks ago and the pseudata are a bit behind.

As a bonus this Aquilegia cv. Songbird Robin I put in last year is doing its thing:

And the cv. Swan Yellow I put in the year before is going bananas.

I put in a Kirigami last year as well but it didn't come back :(

I've been going through the garden and finding the plant tags that have been abandoned by their owners. It turns out it's easier to notice what didn't make it when they're all marked :confuoot:. Mostly marginal stuff I wasn't sure was going to make it and a Potentilla I put in super late, but I was getting sort of bummed until I counted it all up and realized I put more than 200 plants in the ground last year.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Queen Victorian posted:

Goddamn that's an amazing iris. I came to post pics of my irises, most of which have started blooming, but now I feel inadequate. Anyways:

This big red one is putting on an excellent show with three stalks of flowers all blooming at once and it's like twice as big (in terms of rhizome spread) as it was last year.

My neighbor's horde of classic purple irises are in the background. She said I could have some because they've been spreading and are starting to subsume everything around them. So I'll be dividing some of those later this summer. And the neighbor across the street has some cool ones, similar to the classic purples but with an almost antique rose sort of cast to them. I'll have to see if they'd be interested in trading with us.

One of my new acquisitions:

...Except it turned out I already had a really similar one, or the same but as if from a different dye lot or something:

My big frilly peachy one will open up any day now:

And the Siberian iris, another new acquisition. I think I'll be getting more because I love their electric indigo flowers and super thin leaves.

Still waiting on a few more varieties.

In other news, I ripped out the rabbit fence around my utter failure of a squash patch and have been working on converting the area, which is like the one sunny spot in the backyard, to an English garden style flowerbed.

I've so far got more irises (peach, white, and yellow), columbine, white bleeding heart, pansies, foxgloves, and buttercup. The classic foxgloves are from seeds I brought over from my parents' house and planted not too long after we moved in, and they're finally starting to get established.

I have more bleeding heart to plant (also got the pink variety), also Jack Frost brunnera, maidenhair ferns, other ferns, and some new hosta varieties (flowerbed transitions to partial then nearly full shade - opposite side of the yard is mature trees, dogwoods, ferns, hostas, more brunnera, and a couple other shade plants. I dug up buttercup plants from various and put them in a bunch - I'd been pulling them out as weeds previously but then I noticed that the neighbors were cultivating them and they looked really nice in bunches (as opposed to randomly popping up in my lawn). They're still kinda sad and floppy from being transplanted but since they're weeds they'll probably perk up.

Also there is a random flowering quince (I believe you guys helped me identify it). It recently produced an offspring off a root, so I think I'll transplant it to my new flowerbed corner as a backdrop plant against the fence. Also I imagine the increased amount of sun (it's in full shade right now) will help it produce more flowers.

As for achieving the English garden vibe, I honestly think my crusty old wire fence and the neighbor's birdbath kinda make it. It's probably the original fence (house built 1910), so it lends a distinct old timey vibe. Also it's a 2-in-1 fence and trellis for vines or morning glory or peas (speaking of peas, I'm going somewhere later this summer with wild peas everywhere so I might try to nab some specimens to bring back with me).

In conclusion, I've been having fun gardening and spending way too much money on flowers.
Man, I wanna visit your house. That sounds amazing. For height variation, you might consider some hollyhocks, which come in wonderful color variations. BTW, from time to time you can buy English bluebells at oldhousegardens.com, depending on their suppliers that year.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh my god the irises itt are blowing my mind

What a showpiece

Resident pollinators

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Man, I wanna visit your house. That sounds amazing. For height variation, you might consider some hollyhocks, which come in wonderful color variations. BTW, from time to time you can buy English bluebells at oldhousegardens.com, depending on their suppliers that year.

Yeah I was considering hollyhocks. I also want the foxgloves to help fill that role but in my experience they grow wherever they drat well please (in my parents' yard, the foxgloves just happened wherever). Sometimes they'd get to be like 6' or more, but the tallest one I've gotten here so far was maybe 4' when held straight.

Bluebells would be cool too, seeing as I am very into properly blue flowers (like, I feed my hydrangeas the blue hydrangea food and coffee grounds and whatnot to make sure their flowers are blue). I'll have to go back to the nursery and see what they have (which is very good and has a ton of stuff but last trip was way too quick - didn't get there until like a half hour before it closed so only had time to get what I knew I needed, which was mostly more irises and hostas).

And an identification question:

This is angelica and not water hemlock, right? :ohdear:

Stems aren't as red as the pics of water hemlock, the leaves are wider and irregularly lobed, and the bases of the stems have the substantial sheaths, which are attributes that point towards angelica.

But seriously what the hell, carrot family? You've got plants ranging from delicious to lethal and they all look the same :mad:

There's a ton of this stuff in the neighbor's yard, and she's been at work trying to kill it with soap and vinegar after misidentifying it as poison ivy (from afar I thought it was just more Virginia creeper because it blended in so well with the actual Virginia creeper) and there's some encroaching into my yard as well. I knew it definitely wasn't poison ivy, but had no clue what it could be until these flowers just popped up and made it way easier to identify (or at least put me in the correct plant family).

And speaking of the neighbor, she has some volunteer ferns and mint in her yard that she said I could have, and also gave me some spare annuals. She's actually the landlady, and her current batch of tenants at the house are actually into gardening and appreciate gardens in general, so she's been planting flowers and got some spots ready for the tenants to set up raised garden beds. :3:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

In the hemlock family, if you didn't plant it yourself, pull it out. Wearing gloves (not exaggerating, it's a contact poison). There is absolutely no point in rolling the dice on whether it's really angelica. Angelica seems unlikely to me in the first place. It is not a commonly grown herb in America; the times I've wanted to grow it, I've had to order the plant or the seeds from a specialist. For example, Burpee doesn't carry angelica seeds.

I love blue flowers, too. I bet you would love Mertensia virginica, which has wonderful blue flowers in the spring and loves shade. Someday I am going to get super organized and try growing Himalayan blue poppy, now that I have a reasonable climate for it.

e: To satisfy your curiosity, you could run it by Google Lens or equivalent.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I've got these along my back fence and I love em

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In the hemlock family, if you didn't plant it yourself, pull it out. Wearing gloves (not exaggerating, it's a contact poison). There is absolutely no point in rolling the dice on whether it's really angelica. Angelica seems unlikely to me in the first place. It is not a commonly grown herb in America; the times I've wanted to grow it, I've had to order the plant or the seeds from a specialist. For example, Burpee doesn't carry angelica seeds.

So I fed the picture to Google Lens and it suggested ground elder, which I looked up and... perfect match :stare:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegopodium_podagraria

Not poisonous, thankfully, just super invasive :v:

And I have most definitely seen the ornamental variegated form around the neighborhood but never knew what exactly it was. This is probably the feral offspring of someone's ornamental plantings.

My first thought when I saw the flowers was hemlock (I've read about poison hemlock spreading in PA), but the leaves weren't right at all. I went to nature camp as a kid and we learned to identify and tell the difference between poison hemlock, cowbane, and Queen Anne's lace and this plant wasn't any of them. Water hemlock was a fairly close match, which led me to angelica, which was an even better match but seemed odd because it's a west coast native and didn't seem like it was very commercialized. The wikihow article on identifying water hemlock unhelpfully did not include ground elder in its list of lookalikes to rule out.

quote:

I love blue flowers, too. I bet you would love Mertensia virginica, which has wonderful blue flowers in the spring and loves shade. Someday I am going to get super organized and try growing Himalayan blue poppy, now that I have a reasonable climate for it.

Ooooo I might have to go get some of those...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Queen Victorian posted:

So I fed the picture to Google Lens and it suggested ground elder, which I looked up and... perfect match :stare:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegopodium_podagraria
Hooray! I moved into my new garden (okay, technically there was a house attached) on the West Coast only to discover a water hemlock, so I'm a bit skittish.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Queen Victorian posted:

Yeah I was considering hollyhocks. I also want the foxgloves to help fill that role but in my experience they grow wherever they drat well please (in my parents' yard, the foxgloves just happened wherever). Sometimes they'd get to be like 6' or more, but the tallest one I've gotten here so far was maybe 4' when held straight.
Look into digiplexis, a foxglove hybrid that might better do what a foxglove won't. I've only planted them in containers, but they're consistently good performers, no more than 2 ft tall, and in bloom from spring to frost in 6B. My awesome local nursery introduced me to them several years ago, but no one's been buying them (but me, apparently), so they didn't even grow any this year. :(

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Somebody in the thread had peonies flooping over on to a walkway; I was looking for a rose pillar and saw these supports. I have no idea if they're any good, but they might solve your problem.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Somebody in the thread had peonies flooping over on to a walkway; I was looking for a rose pillar and saw these supports. I have no idea if they're any good, but they might solve your problem.
I've used a couple of those in a free-standing variety here and there, and they do work very well! They definitely fade into the background and let your plants shine.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That was me; thanks for the link! Extra important now that they've bloomed.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Anyone have a clue what might have happened to my bleeding heart? It's been pretty happy in this spot for the past couple of months, lots of growth, lots of flowers, no sign of stress whatsoever. We had a pretty heavy rain yesterday but I had noticed it was throwing off healthy leaves even before that.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Petey posted:

I bought a lemon guava (psidium littorale / cattley guava) over the winter and had it in a sunny window. I repotted it in a clay pot with Coast of Maine potting soil and probably too much Marine Cuisine Foxfarm fertilizer in it. Red spots have started to develop on the leaves since I moved it outside, and I'm trying to figure out if this is from the fertilizer, or from spider mite damage (I can't see any on it, but I did have some inside, and my lacewing eggs haven't come in yet). It's only on the bottom half of the plant. The redness might have been there before I moved it outside but I can't be sure. I had it in a partially shaded area for about a week before I moved it into a sunnier place.

Any suggestions? https://gardening.stackexchange.com/questions/14974/what-are-these-red-spots-on-my-guava-leaves looks sort of similar but that is speculative too

sir/ma'am i regret to inform you that guava trees do not grow on the coast of maine :colbert:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

We have groundhogs, and bulbs going into the ground need to be protected. When I was a kid, I made cages out of hardware cloth, cutting squares and wiring them back together into rectangular boxes, but I remember it going very slowly and causing a lot of finger bleeding. Does anybody have a commercial brand they recommend? (See a couple of pages back about half-assing things you don't enjoy.)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We have groundhogs, and bulbs going into the ground need to be protected. When I was a kid, I made cages out of hardware cloth, cutting squares and wiring them back together into rectangular boxes, but I remember it going very slowly and causing a lot of finger bleeding. Does anybody have a commercial brand they recommend? (See a couple of pages back about half-assing things you don't enjoy.)

I don’t have any recs but “bulb cage” is a pretty commodity-grade product AFAIK, I’m sure Google will get you some good options quick

also you could DIY them but while wearing some inexpensive work gloves

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Hirayuki posted:

Look into digiplexis, a foxglove hybrid that might better do what a foxglove won't. I've only planted them in containers, but they're consistently good performers, no more than 2 ft tall, and in bloom from spring to frost in 6B. My awesome local nursery introduced me to them several years ago, but no one's been buying them (but me, apparently), so they didn't even grow any this year. :(

Those look really cool! I will definitely look for some next time I'm at the nursery.

And that's a shame no one was buying them from your nursery :(

I dunno, foxgloves in general just don't seem to be in style these days. I don't think I've seen any foxgloves around here other than mine (though thankfully my nursery sells them). I grew up with a yard full of them, as well as a lot of other old school stuff (my great grandmother started planting things in the 1930's - camellias, hollies, dogwoods, hydrangeas, azaleas, flag lilies, forget-me-nots, stolen boxwood hedges, foxgloves, etc) so I thought the foxglove was a garden staple, but I guess not.

Also when trying to learn why foxgloves were apparently not cool, I came across a listicle of old fashioned plants to plant if you want a garden like your grandma's and foxgloves were #1
:negative:

Also bleeding heart and columbine, which I have (I especially love bleeding heart - that was another thing in my great grandma's garden and actually native to the area (NorCal)). It also mentioned hollyhocks and cornflowers, both of which I am considering. But then again I'm going for a grandma Victorian aesthetic for my house, so why not also my garden?

P.S. my pink iris opened! :buddy:

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

couldcareless posted:

Anyone have a clue what might have happened to my bleeding heart? It's been pretty happy in this spot for the past couple of months, lots of growth, lots of flowers, no sign of stress whatsoever. We had a pretty heavy rain yesterday but I had noticed it was throwing off healthy leaves even before that.

Feel obligated to respond since I literally just mentioned bleeding heart in my previous post, grew up in a garden full of it, and recently bought a lot of it for my shade garden so it could be among ferns and hostas and poo poo.

How much sun is it getting and what zone are you in? Going by just the photos, which looks like it's in full late afternoon(?) sun, my first worry would be that the spot might be too sunny. The warmer the climate, the more shade you should give it. And it likes damp, so the rain shouldn't have affected it negatively. It also likes slightly acidic soils (what is your soil ph?).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Does anybody have a good online source for about a 6" hanging planter? Googling, Ebay, and Etsy are full of spam, including lots and lots of ads for macrame plant hangers. I need a few inconspicuous pots to hang plants out of my cats' reach.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Queen Victorian posted:

Those look really cool! I will definitely look for some next time I'm at the nursery.

And that's a shame no one was buying them from your nursery :(

I dunno, foxgloves in general just don't seem to be in style these days. I don't think I've seen any foxgloves around here other than mine (though thankfully my nursery sells them). I grew up with a yard full of them, as well as a lot of other old school stuff (my great grandmother started planting things in the 1930's - camellias, hollies, dogwoods, hydrangeas, azaleas, flag lilies, forget-me-nots, stolen boxwood hedges, foxgloves, etc) so I thought the foxglove was a garden staple, but I guess not.

Also when trying to learn why foxgloves were apparently not cool, I came across a listicle of old fashioned plants to plant if you want a garden like your grandma's and foxgloves were #1
:negative:

Also bleeding heart and columbine, which I have (I especially love bleeding heart - that was another thing in my great grandma's garden and actually native to the area (NorCal)). It also mentioned hollyhocks and cornflowers, both of which I am considering. But then again I'm going for a grandma Victorian aesthetic for my house, so why not also my garden?

P.S. my pink iris opened! :buddy:

tbh I think foxglove fell out of favor (and not entirely, mind you, I almost picked some up at a Lowe’s in April) in large part because of (largely unfounded) concerns of kids poisoning themselves, etc

And I think columbine had a big drop off nationally after the shooting

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

One year I spent a bunch of money on foxgloves and delphiniums-knowing they would basically be annuals in my climate-and they were loving gorgeous and worth every penny.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

tbh I think foxglove fell out of favor (and not entirely, mind you, I almost picked some up at a Lowe’s in April) in large part because of (largely unfounded) concerns of kids poisoning themselves, etc

And I think columbine had a big drop off nationally after the shooting

I still see foxglove around WA state, but not in new gardens. It grows well on the rock retaining walls we have to deal with all the hills. It’s really easy for kids to not poison themselves with foxglove too. You just don’t let your kids eat flowers in the garden. Honestly, who doesn’t teach their kids to not stick random things in their mouths? Or watch them while they’re young enough to not know better. Smh

I hate it when people feel the need to tell me that the plants in my garden are poisonous to people or animals. Of course things are poisonous, but you really shouldn’t be eating random things in the first place.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jhet posted:

I still see foxglove around WA state, but not in new gardens. It grows well on the rock retaining walls we have to deal with all the hills. It’s really easy for kids to not poison themselves with foxglove too. You just don’t let your kids eat flowers in the garden. Honestly, who doesn’t teach their kids to not stick random things in their mouths? Or watch them while they’re young enough to not know better. Smh

I hate it when people feel the need to tell me that the plants in my garden are poisonous to people or animals. Of course things are poisonous, but you really shouldn’t be eating random things in the first place.

:shrug: tulips are edible, and quite tasty in the right salad

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Queen Victorian posted:

. my pink iris opened! :buddy:

This thing is beautiful! I'm in love!

Fern friends and a very lanky rose campion

Can't wait till that flowers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

:shrug: tulips are edible, and quite tasty in the right salad

Yeah, sure are. There are lots of edible flowers and plants. But you should check to make sure before putting them in your mouth, not before putting them in your garden.

I have some Borage I planted that the flowers are also edible (and a pretty blue).