Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

You killed mint more than once? That is honestly impressive. I would either look for different seeds or start really questioning my life decisions. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America
Apr 26, 2017

Holy poo poo it finally rained, yessssss!

I can't grow anything yummy outside because the animals are too plentiful and clever, but the datura and lavender will enjoy this.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
In the end, it looks like it was rats that were eating my garden. Put down traps and got some the first night, then went through and sealed up even the smallest gaps in our fence. Should have realized that with the corn field behind our house going fallow, the residents of it would be searching for more food.

RIP Anaheim peppers, alter ego peppers, garlic, blueberries, green beans, strawberries and chijimisai greens.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

mischief posted:

You killed mint more than once? That is honestly impressive. I would either look for different seeds or start really questioning my life decisions. :v:

I've grown mint and then I've had mint just die out on me.

You want real life questions? You want the truth?

I can't grow zucchini.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

This is now the THIRD year in a row my mint didn't come back. First year I blamed it being left outdoors in a small container, not being in ground the roots got too cold. Over-wintered it this year on my porch, but I guess was still too cold and it didn't come back.

And this year, neither my thyme NOR strawberries came back. They both did last year (planted in 2020.)

Are you somewhere it gets super cold? There are obviously a bunch of different species/hybrids/cultivars of mint, but the stuff people eat is usually hardy to zone 4 or 5 so it should be fine in an (outdoor) container in 6+ if you're using something reasonable. There's a massive difference between a 5" plastic pot and a big old patio container made of something with actual thermal mass.

Thyme seems harder to kill, to me. Most are quite resilient, and the popular eating thymes (vulgaris and ×citriodorus mostly around here) are nearly evergreen where I am in 6a. Were they planted somewhere it stays wet during the winter?

That aside some plants just aren't meant for this world. I planted two Echinops sphaerocephalus in 2020 from White Flower Farm right next to each other. They both did fine the first year. Last year one of them was small, and the other got huge (4' wide, maybe?); the smaller one wasn't being shaded or anything, it just wasn't nearly as robust. I had to move them both by the end of spring because I could no longer get to my hose without getting the poo poo poked out of me. This year both of them came up in their new spot. The smaller one put out four leaves, reconsidered, and bailed. The other one is already yuge again. :shrug:

rojay posted:

I can't grow zucchini.

Zucchini is both a monster that will devour all available space and also very sensitive to getting too much water, in my experience.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Zucchini I can totally understand. It can be very moisture sensitive and I also have a horrible track record with pests for zucchini and squash. They never seem to just get little bugs, they just get straight overrun by beetles or the like. I hate those beetles.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Nukelear v.2 posted:

RIP Anaheim peppers, alter ego peppers, garlic, blueberries, green beans, strawberries and chijimisai greens.

Bummer, that's a lot of work to lose. Think you'll try again?

rojay posted:

I can't grow zucchini.

You are blessed, to be honest.

(Silver lining, you could hire out your services to gardeners who consistently get overrun by their squash/gourds. Just go over and give the evil eye/bite your thumb at their big giant stupid leaves.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Wallet posted:

Are you somewhere it gets super cold? There are obviously a bunch of different species/hybrids/cultivars of mint, but the stuff people eat is usually hardy to zone 4 or 5 so it should be fine in an (outdoor) container in 6+ if you're using something reasonable. There's a massive difference between a 5" plastic pot and a big old patio container made of something with actual thermal mass.

I'm in 5A, so cold but not, like, COLD cold like anywhere in Alaska, or northern Minnesota or North Dakota. We get below zero F a few times a year on average, but not SUSTAINED.

The mint the first year (and strawberries* all times) were in 24" wide containers, they were actually like old wash tubs (or probably like replica wash tubs) I found in the garage when I moved in. Drilled a few holes in the bottom for drainage and filled with a mix of compost and garden soil.

The next year mint was just in a smaller 12" terra-cotta pot, same as the thyme.

*The strawberries not coming back this year is likely because of a late cold snap. I saw several crowns starting to grow, we had a couple weeks of 60's to 80 in April, then like early may we were back to the loving 40's for a week.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Our mint was just an impulse planting by my wife in an extra pot on the driveway. We're 6b if memory serves and it happily comes back every year in spite of honestly neglectful care. There's some mums and two gingko trees still in pots over there as well that seem to also be gluttons for punishment. Those really need to get planted but I worry if I do something nice for them they'll just gently caress right off and die from the shock.

DrBouvenstein posted:

*The strawberries not coming back this year is likely because of a late cold snap. I saw several crowns starting to grow, we had a couple weeks of 60's to 80 in April, then like early may we were back to the loving 40's for a week.

We have a bunch of strawberry farms near us that really had to scramble to keep the season successful. Our weather has been pretty ridiculous even compared to what we're accustomed to in central NC. I've tried to grow them a few times and have never had any good results. It seems like a really niche plant that requires a really specific (sandy) approach and there's no way for me to get my land sandy. I'd just be discing money into the clay.

mischief fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 25, 2022

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Bummer, that's a lot of work to lose. Think you'll try again?

I still have tomato plants that are producing. My sugar baby watermelon vines are up to a couple feet long now and growing fast so I think those will produce this season.

The pepper plants were just eaten to their stems and have started to regrow their leaves. I'm not sure if I'll end up getting a harvest for them but I'll keep watering them and hope for the best.
The berry plants also eaten back to just the stems, the blackberries somehow produced berries with only a couple leaves being left on them. Blueberries are recovering but no fruit yet. Both those I think will survive the winter so next year I'll get a chance to harvest them.

I'm not sure if I have enough time left to start green beans from seeds here in zone 8, but I just planted some just in case.

Honestly I just feel a lot better now that I know the cause and have it resolved. It was a very aggravating couple of weeks.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm in 5A, so cold but not, like, COLD cold like anywhere in Alaska, or northern Minnesota or North Dakota. We get below zero F a few times a year on average, but not SUSTAINED.

Usually if you want something to survive in a container you want it to at least be hardy to one full zone below you (so 4a in your case), which many mints are not.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I also wonder if the folks putting containers aside are putting them in places where they can't get watered. You can easily kill stuff over winter this way.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
hello, this is growing in my yard and I don't know what it is. Can someone identify it before i murder it?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

A Real Happy Camper posted:

hello, this is growing in my yard and I don't know what it is. Can someone identify it before i murder it?

You got ragweed in your area?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wallet posted:

Usually if you want something to survive in a container you want it to at least be hardy to one full zone below you (so 4a in your case), which many mints are not.
Handy tip! Thanks very much.

My garden is in containers on the deck this year, because I couldn't find anybody to (A) fence the garden (B) kill the existing plants. I spent today hauling bags of soil around and let me tell you, the shower beer (hard cider for me) is God's most perfect idea.

DrBouvenstein posted:

That bites so much. Late frosts are the worst. Frost wrote an excellent poem that touches on that.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 25, 2022

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

SubG posted:

You got ragweed in your area?

I think we do! Time to rip that fucker out of the ground, thanks

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

aaaand just as I finished putting away the tools, the UPS guy handed me another order. To do myself justice, they are things I searched for locally and failed to find: Corsican mint (Mentha requienii), Dittany of Crete (Origanum dictamnis), 3 French tarragon (Artemisia dracunculus), 1 lemon verbena (used to be Lippia citriodora, now Aloysia citriodora, drat taxonomists). Corsican mint is a pure indulgence: it's a tiny ground-creeping mint that smells delicious when you run a fingertip across it. Needs consistent moisture. Dittany of Crete is a very pretty member of the oregano family, with drooping hop-like pink flowers. Tarragon has a licorice-family flavor, although much subtler; do not buy Mexican tarragon, because it is a lie. And lemon verbena smells both like greenery and like lemons. It makes a fabulous tea.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

aaaand just as I finished putting away the tools, the UPS guy handed me another order. To do myself justice, they are things I searched for locally and failed to find: Corsican mint (Mentha requienii), Dittany of Crete (Origanum dictamnis), 3 French tarragon (Artemisia dracunculus), 1 lemon verbena (used to be Lippia citriodora, now Aloysia citriodora, drat taxonomists). Corsican mint is a pure indulgence: it's a tiny ground-creeping mint that smells delicious when you run a fingertip across it. Needs consistent moisture. Dittany of Crete is a very pretty member of the oregano family, with drooping hop-like pink flowers. Tarragon has a licorice-family flavor, although much subtler; do not buy Mexican tarragon, because it is a lie. And lemon verbena smells both like greenery and like lemons. It makes a fabulous tea.

Corsican mint is really cool!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Yeah, I don't know what else you have in your area/garden that might look similar. Mugwort? But if you have ragweed in your area I'd guess ragweed.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Kind of looks like a marigold too, but I wouldn’t expect one unless you had planted them there before.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Kind of looks like a marigold too, but I wouldn’t expect one unless you had planted them there before.
Are there marigold cultivars with leaves that are lobed like that?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SubG posted:

Are there marigold cultivars with leaves that are lobed like that?

Oh yeah, upon closer inspection they do look different. I didn't realize marigolds had actual separate leaflet things.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Peppercorn progress report for all the new peppercorn-owners:

The peppercorn plant that's setting fruit looks like most of the peppercorns are mostly there in terms of growth. Current peppercorn status:

The green peppercorns are edible (along with a lot of the rest of the plant), but hoo boy are they strong at this point. When we first started growing them, my girlfriend said she wasn't sure what I meant when I talked about 麻/the numbing flavour of peppercorns and sampling a green peppercorn sorted that all out.

Anyway, they're going to hang out like this for an infuriatingly long time before they start turning red and eventually split and are ready for harvest. Kinda like tomatillos, if you've ever grown tomatillos.

That plant started flowering almost exactly a month ago; here's the photo I posted this time in April for comparison:

That's a slightly different angle, but it's the same clump of peppercorns.

Anyway, just throwing that out there for everyone else dipping their toes in the 花椒 pool for the first time this season.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

What do people do to keep track of things they've planted? I've been recording planted trees in an Airtable table and then cross-referencing them in a Google Maps "My Map" but it's a pain to keep everything up to date and I've started falling behind on the newly planted stuff.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I haven't found any gardening apps I was happy with

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

What do people do to keep track of things they've planted? I've been recording planted trees in an Airtable table and then cross-referencing them in a Google Maps "My Map" but it's a pain to keep everything up to date and I've started falling behind on the newly planted stuff.

I use a spreadsheet separated by bed and then matching tags in the garden.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I found these on my pineapple sage. Random critters or something that needs bathed in flames?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Looking pretty aphidy, some sort of sucking insect anyways.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Is Chicago Hardy Fig a delciate plant when it's young? I bought these transplants that come out of a box from Lowes and my second attempt at it seemingly died over night :shrug:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Wow, SubG, that's amazing. Thank you for posting this. First year after planting, too!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wow, SubG, that's amazing. Thank you for posting this. First year after planting, too!
That's not a first year plant. This is the...fourth? fifth? year for that one. I think it went in in the autumn of 2017, and looking back through the thread, this was the entirety of the 2018 crop of peppercorns:

I pruned it back a bunch at the end of last year after it had decided to put out a bunch of thin branches at odd, asymmetric angles that was starting to make the plant lean to one side, but it looks like it's going to have 14 or 16 clusters of a dozen or so peppercorns. That's not as good as year before last, but I figure it'll be producing more next year.

I did get a couple of new Z. simulans last year as well as a sansho because I figured why not. But they're not going to be productive this season. I think one of them put out a tiny little cluster of like a half dozen buds but that's it. The Z. simulans plants all seem to be happy, but we got a sudden hot spell here and the sansho's looking a little wilted.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I have about 3-4 clusters on my first year plants so far, but it’s just barely to 70s finally. They’ve put on a bunch of height and are branching out nicely. The sansho is super leafy and looking great too. I’ll be very happy with a handful of fruit, but I won’t let it all get to ripe. Gotta at least try them at fresh green.

I’m going to mix in a little more fertilizer in a week and that’ll probably do it for the first year.

They look really nice next to the Korean tea plants too.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

So digging back through my garden photos, it looks like I didn't get any photos of the peppercorn harvest from last year (which was way down due to the plant being disturbed), but (repeating the first year photo from just above) it was:

That's a pint delitainer in the last one. After the plant getting disturbed by yardwork and getting cut back, the harvest last year was probably about like 2019's, so I have some hope that this years'll look like 2020's.

Which, you know, is still just like a couple bowls of 麻婆豆腐 (or more likely 干煸四季豆 because the long beans always produce like fuckin' troopers). But I guess you don't get into backyard gardening for the immediate payoffs.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Where did you get the plant

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

Where did you get the plant
One Green World, which I think is the source of all the peppercorn trees in the thread.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm gonna get one and presumably kill it

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

SubG posted:

One Green World, which I think is the source of all the peppercorn trees in the thread.

And for folks in the PNW, they also carry a bunch of citrus that they've bred to be hardy to zone 8b. They were super helpful picking stuff out in person. Highly recommend stopping by if anyone is ever in the area.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Would a huckleberry be able to cross-pollinate with regular-rear end blueberries?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Nope. They're different species. Huckleberry is either Vaccinium ovatum or Cyrilla racemiflora, cultivated blueberry is Vaccinium corymbosum. If you were a professional breeder and spent years trying, you might do it, IDK. But in your garden? Not gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

What’s causing this on my rhubarb?