Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Really sad about Ayashimon. The art was great and I really liked all the weird yokai characters, and Maruo was a fun protag :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
philistines, all of them

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Darth TNT posted:

Apparently, like me a lot of people hated her face. She did grow on me over time though. But character interactions are easily Doron's strong point. It's like Candy Flurry done right.

I didn't really get enough of her to have an opinion, tbh. It felt she was meant to be developed out over time, but whoops she disappears and that's that I guess.

quote:

I'm fairly certain Shugo is about to die. And I won't miss it. It had some good gags, but it's just not good.

I agree, the last chapter feels like it was meant to set up a final arc, or at least allow the creator to end things properly if it get canned.

Jerkface posted:

Really sad about Ayashimon. The art was great and I really liked all the weird yokai characters, and Maruo was a fun protag :(

Same :(

All these newer series on the verge of possible death and meanwhile PPPPPP is still chugging along

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'd have thought they'd keep it running at least until the jigokoraku anime started especially if it was at least selling well

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Honestly, Ginchiyo's great and it's a crime she's not getting time in the spotlight. She's a real go-getter who helps other people while still being driven by her ambition to rise in the ranks. I feel like it's hard to find a main female lead who's that cutthroat about things.

Shinji2015 posted:

All these newer series on the verge of possible death and meanwhile PPPPPP is still chugging along

To be fair, PPPPPP has turned itself around by focusing on the family drama. Introducing the other siblings definitely helped keep me hooked, though the flipside is that none of the student characters left much of an impression. Maybe Furusu, but only because of how bad that her resolution is to basically be Lucky's cheerleader.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

Sakamoto is really awesome...but does anyone have any idea what we're currently trying to accomplish? I think he'd trying to find that other organisation because...something?

Yeah, the fights are good but they've really just kind of taken over the series and I miss the original, more jokey early chapters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How could you hate her face? Her face owned. Her being written off because she didn't have a standard moeblob face would be the worst thing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, the fights are good but they've really just kind of taken over the series and I miss the original, more jokey early chapters.

I can’t blame a shonen author leaning more into (pretty good, above average) fights even if the comedy was better given the recent discussion, but the last chapter at least gave me hope that he’ll combine both with more regularity.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1529391759926743041?t=4sf_FAS8Hsa6K0uW2dE_xw&s=19

Also:
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1529357894260506624?t=4r0sDBD5o76Ds1cP1eN7hw&s=19

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 25, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder if they're going to change things up to make jokes about anime instead of manga.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

did not expect an anime so soon, that should be fun

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm glad more people will get to know Gachi Gorilla.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
If you have the means of buying poo poo from japanese webstores, celebrate with your very own Roboco plushie https://shopsunrisems.com/shopdetail/000000001278/

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Wow, canning Ayashimon seems like a real bad call. Wonder what drove it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The fact they seem unable to fire Taguchi, for one.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

I Am Fowl posted:

Wow, canning Ayashimon seems like a real bad call. Wonder what drove it.

New series coming up. It performing like poo poo.
Expect Shugumaru to die next week and Doron Dororon the week after that.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mulderman posted:

New series coming up. It performing like poo poo.
Expect Shugumaru to die next week and Doron Dororon the week after that.

Ayashimon got a re-print for it's first volume so I don't actually know how bad it's selling.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

urban horror battle series with successful volume sales to the point of getting reprints, cancelled unceremoniously before ch30?

deja vu

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Ayashimon got a re-print for it's first volume so I don't actually know how bad it's selling.

Over 10K, which is the usual rule of thumb dividing success and failure in new manga. Two reprints, as well, outselling Phantom Seer's first volume.

Barring some weirdness behind the scenes, the only thing I can figure is that Ayashimon had too much competition in the "Dudes punch demons" department, so the jump surveys didn't help. Even if it was every single reader's fourth favorite manga, it wouldn't help. But that matters less than for Seer, which was overlapping with Chainsaw Man in the critical early months, giving a clear explanation for the low votes despite solid sales.

It's odd. And like Columbo, these unexplained details eat at me.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Over 10K, which is the usual rule of thumb dividing success and failure in new manga. Two reprints, as well, outselling Phantom Seer's first volume.

Barring some weirdness behind the scenes, the only thing I can figure is that Ayashimon had too much competition in the "Dudes punch demons" department, so the jump surveys didn't help. Even if it was every single reader's fourth favorite manga, it wouldn't help. But that matters less than for Seer, which was overlapping with Chainsaw Man in the critical early months, giving a clear explanation for the low votes despite solid sales.

It's odd. And like Columbo, these unexplained details eat at me.

I can only hope they are pushing it to Jump+ where the author's previous series ran and this isn't the end. Seems odd they would can him when an anime for his first work is right around the corner which would probably bump up even more sales for Ayashimon.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It’s impossible to do the Knees justice.
And a lot of those manga gags.

Earthchild spin off?:v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I can only hope they are pushing it to Jump+ where the author's previous series ran and this isn't the end. Seems odd they would can him when an anime for his first work is right around the corner which would probably bump up even more sales for Ayashimon.

same but surely they'd announce that at the same time?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jose posted:

same but surely they'd announce that at the same time?

Chainsaw Man's finale being chapter 97 was announced in chapter 96. The continuation was announced in the final chapter.

I don't think followup is likely, but there is precedent.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

what happened with crunchyroll having the arslan license? I had been reading it entirely through them but I guess not many were so they dropped it? Now I've looked at whats available on scan sites and it seems like it was a few months behind too lol

newershadow
May 18, 2014
It looks like it's still there, but the indexing for Crunchyroll's manga section is bad/inconsistent. If you look for the title under popular or alphabetical it's not there, but it shows up under Simulpub/Joint Promotions.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

It's not getting pushed to Jump+, they would've outright said it if that's what was happening. And either way what would be the point if it's consistently bottom of the barrel in the ToCs and presumably the surveys? Jump+ doesn't exist as a dumping grounds for manga that performs so poorly it gets axed from WSJ. People cite volume one sales but the ToC has always determined what gets axed, not sales and either way a veteran mangaka almost certainly enjoys a certain level of boosted sales for the first volume which they probably took into account. Similarly, if nobody was super enthusiastic about it in the surveys then you don't really need to wait for volume two's sales to make a decision since it's unlikely it's going to be a big seller.

It's like everyone had their heads in the sand for this one. This is how it's always worked, but for some reason Ayashimon is different? Nah. The latest chapter had both a metafiction "I lost my battle" moment and an "our battle continues" moment so it's not like the writing wasn't on the wall. I know it sucks for anyone who really liked it, but the Jump editors do send a pretty clear message: being at the very bottom of the magazine consistently means it's getting axed sooner or later.

I do think it's a shame because there was potential for a good series in Ayashimon but it was squandered at the start and there really wasn't any helping it even if things got better later on. I expect Shugomaru and Doron to meet the same fate in a few weeks' time.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm curious, but what do you mean that Ayashimon was squandered at the start? I thought it was firing on all cylinders right from the get-go, so I'm not sure which point did it squander itself.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah when I think "squandered at the start", I think Red Hood. Not Ayashimon, which consistently did the right things early in terms of introduction and progression.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
This thread even repeatedly posted about how strong its opening chapters were, lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think people were way too in love with the goofy meta aspect when it was a thin and gradually more obnoxious character to center a series around. the shift to make Maruo feel a bit more grounded and less of an idiot was probably just too little too late.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The main character was a kid from an abusive home life who used manga as an escape and idolized strength so he worked out a lot. Not sure what’s meta or goofy about that.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
ayashimon works when it's focusing on the culture and politics of yokai crime and it emphatically does not work as a fight manga. maruo was good in the opening chapters as an abnormality the other characters had to work around, but as soon as he started having drawn out fight scenes like with the biker gang, and a training arc? the series immediately lost its appeal for me

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ethiser posted:

The main character was a kid from an abusive home life who used manga as an escape and idolized strength so he worked out a lot. Not sure what’s meta or goofy about that.

Maybe not goofier than the norm, but definitely meta. It’s a battle manga with a protagonist who is obsessed with battle manga protagonists and points out battle manga tropes like the protagonist never losing twice in a row. (Actually, One Piece breaks that rule in Arabasta and Wano, and in a big-picture sense in the last few pre-timeskip arcs.)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ethiser posted:

the part where he's an idiot in a shonen manga who talks about shonen manga and acts as if he's in one (wink). the sad backstory explains but doesn't offset that.

from the standpoint of making battles not suck, i liked that the fight with Kotton actually had a gimmick and Maruo was getting some form of powerset, but can see appeal in if they had kept him inordinately/inexplicably strong and had the yokai society need to keep reacting to that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm just kinda tired of 'regular guy who is absurdly strong' stuff. OPM and Sakamoto Days both scratch that itch better for me. The concept is interesting but it hasn't really stood out since the first chapter or two

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm mostly surprised now that undead unluck is still going

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I regularly forget Undead Unluck exists despite how over the top it is regularly.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Ayashimon would've probably done better if it didn't have Hunter X Hunter levels of text on every page.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I really don't care for the current storyline in Monster 8. Didn't ask for Ichikawa to just magically be compatible with a numbered weapon and then for a month of training and acclimation to be off-screened to get us to this point. Why'd we focus on this guy anyways when the vice commander and #10 were right there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Apparently, this one-shot is being turned into the next SJ thing to replace whatever dies after Ayashimon.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/9e0094e1-c2f6-4f29-a270-8460530306a1/1

https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/uy2xz6/art_two_new_series_will_start_in_issues_27_and_28/

The art's pretty nice and I enjoyed the one-shot quite a bit! Who know how the transition to a full-on series will be, but for now, I'm looking forward to it.