Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ohhhhh I have been there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I don't play that dropping and throwing clubs poo poo. I don't care if you're in mud up to your ankles :argh:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Daric posted:

The drivers are built so you can only really hit the ball one way (you can’t work it right to left or left to right easily like you could in the past) and the irons are built to be more “forgiving” which just means that even if you mishit the ball it’s still going to go just as far, but it will go further left or right than you wanted it to (generally this is left).

Justin Thomas, who just won the PGA Championship, plays an old school style of golf. He still hits it a long way but not quite as far as some of the newer players however he uses blade irons which are not “forgiving” because they allow him to work the ball in a lot of different ways. And he is very good at crafting golf shots to accommodate for different conditions, whether that’s hitting a low piercing shot to cut through the wind or slinging it around a corner on command.

Also, I’m using “forgiving” in quotation marks here because for the vast majority of us, mishitting a ball and having it go long and left is not forgiving. Most courses are setup where the safe play is short and right, which is what a mishit with a blade iron will accomplish, but the marketing departments at these club companies have convinced people that hitting a 7 iron 200 yards and 40 yards offline to the left, where there’s usually a hazard, is somehow better than hitting it 20 yards short and 10 to the right.
err, what? good players can still shape newer drivers (JT is playing a TSi3, idk if you'll find a tour guy playing a driver model older than a year or two). There are beginner drivers that help with launch or have a draw bias but it's still VERY possible to curve both left and right with anything on the market today (just find me on the range lol), shot shape is down to face angle vs path and you can't engineer that away. Also worth noting that JT also plays a T100 4i which isn't a pure blade, and a bunch of pros use those through their whole bag (or similar cavity backs)

Beginner GI irons have a bigger MOI and typically a bunch of weight down low so it's harder to generate sidespin and easier to generate backspin (which negates sidespin), and they're usually more offset so they'll have a draw bias, but it's still very possible to shape shots even with those. Newer 'player' cavity backs (like the T100) are just as able to shape shots as traditional blades. Also if you mishit a GI iron it's not gonna go further than if you hit it cleanly, that's just not how physics works, and "hazards are long and left whereas short and right is safe" is a pretty wild generalization.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
DeChambeau's name just makes me think of that game Eric Cartman made up about kicking people in the nuts.

Sorry for this post.

Edit:

I like all the picturesque little features on the holes. Like the first hole of Royal St George that hosted the Open last year has these funny little huts. And I kind of like to think about how those are still there when all the people have gone away.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 25, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

As the thread's designated :airquote: technical expert :airquote:, let me help clear some things up.

It is true that it's harder to work the ball off the tee than it was 25 years ago, but it can definitely still be done (see: all of YOUR wayward tee shots). The reason is because modern solid core balls are lower spinning than the wound, liquid core balls of the past, and drivers have become lower spinning too. Because of this, many pros now choose to play one shot shape off the tee for consistency. You do, however, have players like Justin Thomas who like to work the ball, although he still has a preferred shot shape (fade). And of course, pros can and do work the ball when needed (see: hard draw required on 10 and 13 at Augusta).

For irons, most pros use cavity backs for forgiveness. The best ballstrikers (though not all) tend to play blades, but this is correlation, not causation. There are many reasons a pro would sacrifice the forgiveness of a cavity, but they generally include familiarity/aesthetics, turf interaction/feel, and spin control. Pros are hitting their clubs in the middle of the face, regardless of club design, so their poor shots tend to be due to bad path/face angle, which a cavity back can't compensate for.

It's also useful to remember that sidespin and backspin don't exist as separate things but as overall spin and spin axis. In other words, a club that generates more backspin will also generate more sidespin if the spin axis is tilted, which is due to things like face to path and spin loft.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 31, 2022

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
My dad would have you believe "real" pros only ever play draws :allears: It's so nice to be, y'know, 8 years out from under his influence and realize he's a fuckin' idiot.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

D34THROW posted:

My dad would have you believe "real" pros only ever play draws :allears: It's so nice to be, y'know, 8 years out from under his influence and realize he's a fuckin' idiot.

Someone call Jack and Tiger, they're gonna be bummed your dad doesn't recognize their 33 Majors.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

D34THROW posted:

Also, all things being equal, the thinking that draws automatically go farther than fades.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
All of this talk about clubs and shot shapes has made me look more closely at my R10 data.

Everything about my swing is hosed

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Golf sort of doesn't seem all that fair for a game where potentially you can make 8 figures if you're good. With all the differences from player to player, the different national experiences and just the fact that the weather can totally change in the course of a day.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Season looking much better for me now that I have switched my putter grip to modified claw/saw and stroke to more of a pop-putt. I'm getting so much more consistent contact on the putter face. Putts are falling. Feels real good after 2 years of dumpster fire putting.

Something like this, but more of like index and pointer poining down the putt line.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Daric posted:

Also, I’m using “forgiving” in quotation marks here because for the vast majority of us, mishitting a ball and having it go long and left is not forgiving. Most courses are setup where the safe play is short and right, which is what a mishit with a blade iron will accomplish, but the marketing departments at these club companies have convinced people that hitting a 7 iron 200 yards and 40 yards offline to the left, where there’s usually a hazard, is somehow better than hitting it 20 yards short and 10 to the right.

I’m going through this right now. I switched from my mizuno jpx forged irons to some zx7s, and knowing exactly where my miss will go has cut three shots off my scoring average.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Worth noting that the even though the commercials will say “Dustin Johnson is playing the new Taylormade Stealth driver, head down to your local golf shop and pick one up for yourself!” the Stealth driver DJ is getting is not one you can generally get yourself (unless you’re tight with a tour truck fitter or some pro tossed theirs up on eBay). Correct me if I’m wrong here, but most of the off the shelf drivers we can get as an average person are going to have the club face slightly closed at address rather than square. This also factors into being able to shape it off the tee.

I use a Callaway Epic Flash SubZero which is 9° stock. And with the stock settings that club face is clearly closed. Luckily for me, I prefer it dropped down to 8° so adjusting the hosel adapter to lower it by a degree actually opens the face up a bit and makes it close to square. But still, if I’m trying to hit something other than a fade off the tee I’m going to take my 3 wood. It’s much easier to work and still goes 260-270. There’s no sense trying to make the driver do something it really doesn’t want to for an extra 20-30 yards. The risks are too high.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

OK, I don't think this works how I think it did.

They don't actually play every hole in a round. They tot up the score when they're at hole 7 (I'm still talking about Open 149).
So does that mean that when the cut comes in half the players haven't finished the course?

edit: Yeah, I've probably totally misunderstood what the commentator was saying.

edit: It's obvious that every hole is played each round so maybe not everyone starts on hole 1? Or am I totally wrong?

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 25, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Prurient Squid posted:

OK, I don't think this works how I think it did.

They don't actually play every hole in a round. They tot up the score when they're at hole 7 (I'm still talking about Open 149).
So does that mean that when the cut comes in half the players haven't finished the course?

edit: Yeah, I've probably totally misunderstood what the commentator was saying.

edit: It's obvious that every hole is played each round so maybe not everyone starts on hole 1? Or am I totally wrong?
Yes, everyone plays all 18 holes each round. If there's a weather delay, that would spill into the next day to complete the round.

At almost every tournament, there will be a split tee start on the first 2 days before the cut. That means that half the players start on 1 and the other half start on 10. The ones that start on 10 will have an asterisk next to the hole they're on, so if it says 12* they're actually on hole 3.

Notably, at The Masters and The Open, everyone starts on 1.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 25, 2022

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Beaten with a better explanation

Re driver faces, TM put out a video a while back with their club guy assembling Rory’s stealth plus. I thought he said that the diff between tour certified drivers and the off-the-shelf ones were the tolerances - 9 degrees of loft on a tour certified head means 9 degrees of loft, but off the shelf might be 8.5 or 9.5, but I might be wrong

wyoak fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 25, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Daric posted:

Worth noting that the even though the commercials will say “Dustin Johnson is playing the new Taylormade Stealth driver, head down to your local golf shop and pick one up for yourself!” the Stealth driver DJ is getting is not one you can generally get yourself (unless you’re tight with a tour truck fitter or some pro tossed theirs up on eBay). Correct me if I’m wrong here, but most of the off the shelf drivers we can get as an average person are going to have the club face slightly closed at address rather than square. This also factors into being able to shape it off the tee.

I use a Callaway Epic Flash SubZero which is 9° stock. And with the stock settings that club face is clearly closed. Luckily for me, I prefer it dropped down to 8° so adjusting the hosel adapter to lower it by a degree actually opens the face up a bit and makes it close to square. But still, if I’m trying to hit something other than a fade off the tee I’m going to take my 3 wood. It’s much easier to work and still goes 260-270. There’s no sense trying to make the driver do something it really doesn’t want to for an extra 20-30 yards. The risks are too high.
Some driver models like Ping's SFT models and TaylorMade's Max D are explicitly designed to be draw biased, but in general I believe most drivers from the big OEMs are designed to be neutral; for example, Titleist targets 0.5* open. However, manufacturing tolerances are usually +/- 1.5* on loft (not sure for face angle), so you may end up with one that's slightly closed.

A different issue is that drivers may look closed even though they are not. You can affect how the face angle looks through shaping and color contrast of the topline.

Yet another issue that almost nobody talks about is that shaft insertion can affect loft, lie, and face angle. When a shaft is inserted into a hosel, whether that be glued or an adapter, there is a little bit of space between the outside of the shaft and the inside of the hosel for the epoxy to circulate and bond. Better clubmakers will use glass beads to help center the shaft, but even this can be imprecise. Plus there are manufacturing tolerances on the adapters.

wyoak posted:

Re driver faces, TM put out a video a while back with their club guy assembling Rory’s stealth plus. I thought he said that the diff between tour certified drivers and the off-the-shelf ones were the tolerances - 9 degrees of loft on a tour certified head means 9 degrees of loft, but off the shelf might be 8.5 or 9.5, but I might be wrong
Yes, pros have their woods digitally measured with a laser to determine the exact loft and face angle. In general, better players prefer a slightly open (looking) face, or they may want an actually more open face that allows them to decrease the loft without closing the clubface.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

MustardFacial posted:

All of this talk about clubs and shot shapes has made me look more closely at my R10 data.

My R10 comes tomorrow, and I cannot wait

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

how do you even hit the ball?!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
:lando:
https://twitter.com/TomBrady/status/1529475080929017857

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Omne posted:

My R10 comes tomorrow, and I cannot wait

It is both very cool and incredibly demoralizing

Kirios posted:

how do you even hit the ball?!

Poorly, it seems.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I'm curious if anyone here as experience with the shotscope v3. I have a bunch of amazon credit and was thinking of grabbing it mostly for the gps watch, but a bit for the club tracking.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Oh man, I just got the best news. I've probably mentioned it in here before but I currently have a Skytrak set up in our upstairs game room. It's not an ideal situation (carpeted floors, indoors, right above my wife's office) but it's worked so far.

The previous owners of our home turned the detached garage into a pool cabana. They blew out one wall, installed a big rolltop door, built a bar that extends outside of the garage and has its own rolltop window, and then put string lights on the "ceiling" (I'm using quotes here because it was actually OSB boards on the top and bottom of the joists to support a storage area above). We love the bar area but the other half of the garage never gets used because the string lights hung so low that there was only a few inches above my head and the bottom of the lights.

Well a couple of weeks ago I decided to just remove all of that stuff. Pulled down the lights, removed the OSB from the top and bottom of the 2nd bay, and exposed the joists. Then I hired a structural engineer to come out and take a look to determine if we could move the joists up a little higher to give us space to swing a club. He came this morning and told me not only could we move them higher if we wanted, we could actually just pull them out completely. We have a hip roof with collar ties near the ridgeline already, the joists were only there to support the storage area. We could actually pull out every joist in the garage completely and just add a few more collar ties to turn it into a cathedral ceiling.

So it looks like I'll be starting Operation 19th Hole Pool Cabana this weekend. I can safely move the simulator to the garage, stock my bar, have easy access to the pool, and I honestly may never leave it. Now I just have to determine if I'm comfortable doing the demo myself or if I should hire it out.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Daric posted:

So it looks like I'll be starting Operation 19th Hole Pool Cabana this weekend. I can safely move the simulator to the garage, stock my bar, have easy access to the pool, and I honestly may never leave it. Now I just have to determine if I'm comfortable doing the demo myself or if I should hire it out.

I vote hire it out. But, I wouldn't mind seeing golf-groverhaus if you wanna take pictures while you DIY.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I've fixed something in my swing, and now my recent handicap scores look like I brought in a ringer

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Daric posted:

Oh man, I just got the best news. I've probably mentioned it in here before but I currently have a Skytrak set up in our upstairs game room. It's not an ideal situation (carpeted floors, indoors, right above my wife's office) but it's worked so far.

The previous owners of our home turned the detached garage into a pool cabana. They blew out one wall, installed a big rolltop door, built a bar that extends outside of the garage and has its own rolltop window, and then put string lights on the "ceiling" (I'm using quotes here because it was actually OSB boards on the top and bottom of the joists to support a storage area above). We love the bar area but the other half of the garage never gets used because the string lights hung so low that there was only a few inches above my head and the bottom of the lights.

Well a couple of weeks ago I decided to just remove all of that stuff. Pulled down the lights, removed the OSB from the top and bottom of the 2nd bay, and exposed the joists. Then I hired a structural engineer to come out and take a look to determine if we could move the joists up a little higher to give us space to swing a club. He came this morning and told me not only could we move them higher if we wanted, we could actually just pull them out completely. We have a hip roof with collar ties near the ridgeline already, the joists were only there to support the storage area. We could actually pull out every joist in the garage completely and just add a few more collar ties to turn it into a cathedral ceiling.

that sounds awesome, definitely post pics

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So… goon meet at Daric’s place in 3 months?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I like watching golf because it's dependable. It's always there and it's always the same.

edit:

How is a hole in one even possible? Or is it just some wonderful hypothetical that is achieved only in legend. (Yeah, I figure it must happen on occasion).

edit:

One of the commentators pointed out that there's a golfer that is actually right handed but plays golf left handed. I get the impression that golf is something where people try all kinds of weird idiosyncratic stuff to try to hone a style or get an edge.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 26, 2022

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Prurient Squid posted:

I like watching golf because it's dependable. It's always there and it's always the same.

edit:

How is a hole in one even possible? Or is it just some wonderful hypothetical that is achieved only in legend. (Yeah, I figure it must happen on occasion).

edit:

One of the commentators pointed out that there's a golfer that is actually right handed but plays golf left handed. I get the impression that golf is something where people try all kinds of weird idiosyncratic stuff to try to hone a style or get an edge.

A hole in one is almost entirely luck. It's pretty much impossible for someone to plan to hit a hole in one but if you hit the ball the right distance and it lands on the green in a certain spot, it just might go in. I don't have one but I've come within an inch or two probably a hundred times because I know that at my home course on Hole 14 if I hit my pitching wedge it's going to go about 120yards and if it lands on the back portion of the green it's going to roll down towards the front. But depending on where they place the pin that day (I don't know if you've realized this yet but golf courses change the hole location and also the tee marker location every day to switch things up) and how fast the green is playing that day (if it's been dry and they've mown it really close/rolled the grass in a certain direction it can be very fast or if it's rained recently/they've let the grass grow out a little bit it can be slow) my ball might end up within a few inches of the pin or it might end up 45 feet away. You just never know, so it's always going to be luck.

My regular playing partner is left handed but plays golf right handed. Part of that is because it's much easier to find right handed clubs and part of it is because he has an easier time turning his hips when he has his left side forward versus his right. He also sucks though so who can say if he'd be better playing towards his dominant hand.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Josh Lyman posted:

So… goon meet at Daric’s place in 3 months?

I'm fully stocked on Evan Williams BIB so I'm sure you'll like that. My next step is trying to figure out how to mount the SportScreen I have without there being a beam to mount it to. I'm guessing I could probably use some of the mounting brackets that you'd use for a garage door track to hold it up. It weighs less than a garage door so I assume though would work.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

Daric posted:

I'm fully stocked on Evan Williams BIB so I'm sure you'll like that. My next step is trying to figure out how to mount the SportScreen I have without there being a beam to mount it to. I'm guessing I could probably use some of the mounting brackets that you'd use for a garage door track to hold it up. It weighs less than a garage door so I assume though would work.

You could build a frame with those rafters you take down.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ChiTownEddie posted:

I'm curious if anyone here as experience with the shotscope v3. I have a bunch of amazon credit and was thinking of grabbing it mostly for the gps watch, but a bit for the club tracking.

Good: accurate gps watch, distance to front, middle, back, plus hazards. Club tracking and the detailed stats on a downloaded round are great.

Bad: the club tracking requires thought. If you don't pay attention, it will miss shots. The band is the sensor, and the only way to record every shot is to tap the sensor in the end of the club to the band.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

torgeaux posted:

Good: accurate gps watch, distance to front, middle, back, plus hazards. Club tracking and the detailed stats on a downloaded round are great.

Bad: the club tracking requires thought. If you don't pay attention, it will miss shots. The band is the sensor, and the only way to record every shot is to tap the sensor in the end of the club to the band.

Cool, thanks for the feedback! I think I'm going to give it a whirl then.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Had my first range session with the R10 this morning, and holy poo poo is that thing cool. It pointed out the obvious: I'm a terrible golfer. But getting the instant feedback and metrics was sweet, even though my average drive was only 187 yards and equally split between 20+ feet right and 20+ feet left.

ETA: Also, I cannot hit my 5 iron for the life of me. I either top it or chunk it, there's virtually no in between.

What's your white whale club, the one you can never seem to hit?

Omne fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 27, 2022

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Omne posted:

Had my first range session with the R10 this morning, and holy poo poo is that thing cool. It pointed out the obvious: I'm a terrible golfer. But getting the instant feedback and metrics was sweet, even though my average drive was only 187 yards and equally split between 20+ feet right and 20+ feet left.

ETA: Also, I cannot hit my 5 iron for the life of me. I either top it or chunk it, there's virtually no in between.

What's your white whale club, the one you can never seem to hit?

I use Mack Daddy 3 wedges in 52 and 56 degrees, but I had room in my bag for 1 more club. I experimented with a Vokey 60 degree I had laying around. Cannot hit it to save my life. I have all kinds of different shots around the greens with my 56 but the 60 eludes me. My white whale used to be my 3 wood but I recently picked up a Mavrik Sub Zero and I hit it really well, so it could be that the Nike Vapor Speed I had before just didn't work for me.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
3w is definitely the one that varies the most day-to-day for me

Some days it's the most reliable long club in my bag, other days I can't get it more than 5 feet off the ground

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

when i worked at the local muni we had an ancient 1-iron we kept around. one rainy afternoon I got bored and put a new grip on it, then took a few of the guys hanging around to the first tee to see if anyone could actually hit it. turf only, no teeing it up allowed. someone thinned it about 200 and that was the best anyone could do.

as the old saying goes, if you find yourself on the course in the middle of a thunderstorm just hold up your 1-iron because even god can't hit it

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I like the cute American guy who says "darn it" when the ball doesn't go where he wants it to. I should pick up that guys name. Apologies if he turns out to be Canadian or something. I can't tell the difference lol.

edit:I think it's Jordan Spieth. From Texas.

edit2: Forget Shane Lowry, I'm all about Spieth now.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 27, 2022

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
@Daric, I just started summer break as a K-12 teacher. Holler when you wanna drag me around a golf course!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I feel like we should do a central Florida Goon scramble