Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
This one isn't even a smart attempt at Constitutional Calvinball, since the Texas abortion law exploits the fact that there isn't a federal law protecting abortion, but there is one protecting guns, so the California law is going to immediately get shot down when it gets appealed.

Plus, since SCOTUS is likely to completely overturn Roe in the next few weeks, it's pretty easy for them to just do a shadow docket overturning of either the Texas or California laws based on the (lack of) enforcement mechanism, while not addressing the abortion part at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So you can make laws today banning something you have a constitutional right to today but if you ban something today you have a constitutional right to today, that’s different and illegal ?

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Proud Christian Mom posted:

how much do yall bet we spend on expanding school police

nothing. it will be another unfunded mandate

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

jokes posted:

So you can make laws today banning something you have a constitutional right to today but if you ban something today you have a constitutional right to today, that’s different and illegal ?

when a clear majority of the people in charge of deciding this agree with you, yes

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

jokes posted:

The rules are made up and nothing matters except money and hating minorities.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This is at some point during the carnage.

https://twitter.com/paleofuture/status/1529652093354536961?s=20

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Looooooooooooooove that that dumbass waste of space Abbott sucked the cops dick during his statements today and yesterday. Big heros. Good thing they were there. Much saved. Many thanks.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh that's real bad

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
The Uvalde cops were so loving unbelievably cowardly that somehow the border patrol are the heroes of the story

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah and CBP is full of criminals and fuckups even by the standards of police.

So wow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pobrecito posted:

The Uvalde cops were so loving unbelievably cowardly that somehow the border patrol are the heroes of the story

I saw US marshals in there too

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tommy lee jones would have gone in

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

🖐😧🤚 “I do care”

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
literally everything the police have said over the last 12 hours has made them look worse

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

LanceHunter posted:

Hey, it's runoff day. I am once again begging anyone ITT who didn't vote in the Democratic primary (and who doesn't live in TX-28) to vote in this Republican run-off against Ken Paxton.

Keep in mind that this a good way to get barred from being a part of your local democratic party, they provide access to various resources, run block walking events, and other things you might be interested in. Your primary voting record is public record that anyone can look up.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Every time I think about softening my FtP stance they do something abhoric to renew why I feel that way in the first place! Great job assholes!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Kunabomber posted:

Keep in mind that this a good way to get barred from being a part of your local democratic party, they provide access to various resources, run block walking events, and other things you might be interested in. Your primary voting record is public record that anyone can look up.

Yeah, I can't really do anything party-affiliated until the next set of primaries in 2024, when I'll vote in the Democratic one again. But I'm more of a campaign donation guy than a block-walker, and they'll still take my money no matter which primary I voted in.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Pobrecito posted:

Oh don't worry, the Uvalde cops will be hailed as heroes as well. Because of course they will be.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

not exactly feeling that that's the narrative taking hold

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Proud Christian Mom posted:

literally everything the police have said over the last 12 hours has made them look worse

And the cops always lie so the truth must be even worse somehow

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Same thing happened last night in the Valley:

https://myrgv.com/free/2022/05/25/source-donna-isd-shuts-down-campuses-after-ak-47-found-amid-credible-mass-shooting-threat/

JFC.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

halokiller posted:

Oh don't worry, the Uvalde cops will be hailed as heroes as well. Because of course they will be.

https://twitter.com/PostalLoser/status/1529696393115279360?s=20

The absolute best folks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i say swears online posted:

not exactly feeling that that's the narrative taking hold

Yeah this is great for conservatives because they can now shift the blame to these cowardly apples and pretend like it was lack of police training that caused this and so they can pretend to do something about the problem and the left won't even complain about it because we also hate cops so when Ted Cruz or Dan Patrick or whoever gets up and starts slamming these Uvalde guys as yellow bellied we're gonna be "That's right". Every other cop in the nation won't get their feewings hurt because they're all telling themselves they would've gone full John Wick on this guy, they aren't little babies, no they are Punishers and Spartans

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They do love slaves and extrajudicial killing so the spartan / punisher comparison tracks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SuzyKhimm/status/1529625828895727617

Oh the empty gestures at school safety the Legislature was forced to do after Santa Fe didn't work?? Just like everyone said they wouldn't?????

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
After Columbine, my tiny rear end rural high school installed cameras everywhere and got metal detectors. The metal detectors were never put into use because it was too much effort to route everyone to just one or two doors, and the security cameras to date have only been used as tools for regular student discipline and monitoring. Never once has there been a security threat that either have solved.

The also pulled me and a few other kids into the principal's office to make sure we weren't going to shoot up the place.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ocnarfjimenez/status/1529668259154378753

So what there were going to be three school shootings this week?

This is the society that the GOP wants. It's good to live like this, they think.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 26, 2022

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If those commie liberals had defunded the police just imagine how many more bad apples there would have been. That's why I'm proposing during this emergency special a mandate that no city or county can reduce police budgets and that said budgets must grow at 1.2x inflation minimum.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/ocnarfjimenez/status/1529668259154378753

So what there were going to be three school shootings this week?

This is the society that the GOP wants. It's good to live like this, they think.

They need to find and create/expose what they pretend are potential school shootings to pretend the cops are able to contribute anything meaningfully at all for the most basic, fundamental justification of their existence

If they can simply stop 5 more school shootings then they can say “see!! Police are good!! Money pleeeeease!!”

Also it’s harrowing that math, writing, reading, and running for their lives because of an active shooter are the 4 major subjects in school

jokes fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 26, 2022

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/1529768990167515136?t=ub7qSD98xv1gHjgUyD4XrA&s=19

It's just an intractable problem that simply cannot be solved in a modern democracy you see, says the WSJ editorial board

E: also lol "loss of cultural guardrails", gently caress off

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

“Every democracy has to deal with this problem”

“Every major democracy has to deal with this problem”

“Every major western democracy has to deal with this problem”

“Every major western democracy that doesn’t have sufficient mental health programs has to deal with this problem”

“Every major western democracy that doesn’t have sufficient mental health programs that begins with the words ‘United States’ has to deal with this problem”

“Every major western democracy that doesn’t have sufficient mental health programs that begins with the words ‘United States’ and isn’t a territory of the U.S. has to deal with this problem”

I don’t understand the mental health argument as they won’t pay for that either.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

My cultural guardrails can’t contain all these mass shootings!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They think the devil causes mass shootings and that the only solution is to allow and require prayer in schools.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1529817124256026624

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 26, 2022

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

and these cultural guardrails are what exactly

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Guns, held by the whites

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

and these cultural guardrails are what exactly

"Judeo-Christian values"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1529810634094813184

No Safe Word posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/1529768990167515136?t=ub7qSD98xv1gHjgUyD4XrA&s=19

It's just an intractable problem that simply cannot be solved in a modern democracy you see, says the WSJ editorial board

E: also lol "loss of cultural guardrails", gently caress off

"Cultural guardrails" but not like something that would get in the way of somebody owning a gun or walking around with it ready to shoot like they're in a bad old western.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

jokes posted:

Guns, held by the whites

Standing outside the school while the shooter is safely barricaded in with his victims.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
We already “harden” schools, but just the predominantly black ones. The high school and middle school I went to in south Dallas in the mid 90s only had one way in or out because they could only afford one metal detector so they just chained the rest of the doors shut. Fun stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

spaced ninja posted:

We already “harden” schools, but just the predominantly black ones. The high school and middle school I went to in south Dallas in the mid 90s only had one way in or out because they could only afford one metal detector so they just chained the rest of the doors shut. Fun stuff.

My middle school had metal detectors, school district police, city police, and state anti-gang task force involved when my older siblings went there. By the time I was there it was only just no backpacks, uniforms, school and city and occasionally county police.

We had all of our doors unchained though.