Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

This sharpening kit should work for the Scott reel mower, as far as I know all of theirs are made by American Lawn Mower Company. It works by having you spin the blades backwards with the paste applied. I have no idea how the kit compares to having a pro do it. Seemed to work ok for my Scott.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Lawn-Mower-SK-1-Sharpening/dp/B00004R9UM/ref=asc_df_B00004R9UM/

taqueso fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Speaking of lawnmowers, is the Milwaukee M18 push mower any good? Like is this kit with the M18 mower plus 2 batteries worth the extra money over any of the Makita electric mowers if you need something that mulches?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I have seen reviews that the Milwaukee mower is crazy good but it's also $1,000.

With that said if Ego keeps jerking me around with trying to get my battery replaced under warranty I'll probably switch over to it.

I've warrantied a battery and 2 tools with Milwaukee and it was easy and straight forward. I've called Ego 4 times, each about an hour long, each rep gave me totally different troubleshooting advice without any questions or followup from the prior discussions, and one rep never even logged our conversation.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

Speaking of lawnmowers, is the Milwaukee M18 push mower any good? Like is this kit with the M18 mower plus 2 batteries worth the extra money over any of the Makita electric mowers if you need something that mulches?

ProToolReviews said it’s the best electric mower they’ve tested but has a price tag to match

https://www.protoolreviews.com/milwaukee-m18-fuel-self-propelled-lawn-mower/

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FCKGW posted:

ProToolReviews said it’s the best electric mower they’ve tested but has a price tag to match

https://www.protoolreviews.com/milwaukee-m18-fuel-self-propelled-lawn-mower/

I had to X out of the tab. Holy poo poo that is a lot of weeds.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Speaking of WEEDs!

Page 420 smoke weed er'ry day!!

What's a good tool to chop up weed?

Those of you who live in places where it's not legal need not feel obligated to reply.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

^^^ A mower will chop it up without you even having to pick it!

SpartanIvy posted:

I've warrantied a battery and 2 tools with Milwaukee and it was easy and straight forward.

Do Milwaukee tools need to be registered online at all? Their website says no because they get registered automatically when you buy them, but the paranoid part of me can't shake the idea that I still need to go to a link somewhere and type a serial number into a box.

Dumb question, I know, but tell that to my idiot brain.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 25, 2022

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

FCKGW posted:

Lowes doesn’t carry Milwaukee or Makita so that really limits your options to DeWalt or something lower like Metabo/Bosch.

I wouldn’t bother with Skil/Craftsman/Kobalt. They make some fine tools but not known for cordless stuff.

Metabo make some pretty solid corded gear tho. We bought a bunch of their stuff for work we did with stainless process piping for work and we spent about $3600 on like 3-4 tools but I tell ya what it sure made good work of the stainless

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

McSpergin posted:

Metabo make some pretty solid corded gear tho. We bought a bunch of their stuff for work we did with stainless process piping for work and we spent about $3600 on like 3-4 tools but I tell ya what it sure made good work of the stainless

I think Metabo absorbed/acquired/merged with Hitachi? So the older Metabo stuff was pretty high end but now they have lower end stuff that's just rebadged Hitachi. I've heard mixed reviews of Hitachi stuff so I can't really say how good or not it is, though I assume not as good as the european-made Metabo stuff.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Some of us are of the opinion that if it's green and can be mowed, it's a lawn. This can include moss and small trees. This opinion is not universally popular.

wesleywillis posted:

Speaking of WEEDs!

Those of you who live in places where it's not legal need not feel obligated to reply.

Bosch Universal with the blender (casual), small food processor (serious), or large food processor (small industrial). It's going to cost you $600 - $1000 with all the attachments but this is the tool thread after all.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

I. M. Gei posted:

Do Milwaukee tools need to be registered online at all? Their website says no because they get registered automatically when you buy them, but the paranoid part of me can't shake the idea that I still need to go to a link somewhere and type a serial number into a box.

Dumb question, I know, but tell that to my idiot brain.

Nope, you just upload a copy of your receipt to prove when you bought it. The serial number is on the devices themselves so it's kind of hard not to have it. As far as warranty returns go, Milwaukee's is almost as good as it gets in my experience. They pay shipping both ways and even near peak covid when service everywhere was slowed to a halt, they got it back to me within a week or two.

In the case of my battery dying, it was one of the more expensive 8AH batteries that I got "free" with a tool purchase. Even though I didn't purchase it separately or have a separate receipt for it, they sent me a whole new battery in retail packaging after they tested mine and it failed at the warranty center.

My third experience was when my M18 Miter Saw started locking up. The hardest part of that was finding a box that was big enough. They got it and fixed it and sent it right back though.

I'm a very happy customer.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

the only difference between a weed and a plant is whether or not youve decided you like it there.

if my neighbor bitches one more time i'm gonna pave the entire goddamn lot.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I’m just mad because my neighbor has a kyllinga and crabgrass farm and that poo poo invades my yard every year despite my preM regiment. I bought a striping kit for my mower to make my “gently caress you line” even more apparent.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Dr. Despair posted:

We do have some Petzl Newtons at work too and they aren't as comfy as the Sala Exofits but I've never found them uncomfortable or unsafe feeling, and I'm probably on the larger side of people wearing a fall harness. It's got enough adjust-ability that it should work as long as you start with the right size.

https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Professional/Harnesses/NEWTON-international-version

e. Forgot about the brand until you mentioned them again, I do try and go for the exofits when I can though.

One of the companies I work for has a bunch of the Petzl AVAO BOD harnesses which are also nice but feel like they are designed for someone a fair bit larger than I am. Plus I don't really need the fancy work positioning/suspension features to drive a scissor lift around.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hexigrammus posted:

Some of us are of the opinion that if it's green and can be mowed, it's a lawn. This can include moss and small trees. This opinion is not universally popular.

Bosch Universal with the blender (casual), small food processor (serious), or large food processor (small industrial). It's going to cost you $600 - $1000 with all the attachments but this is the tool thread after all.

just get an inexpensive coffee grinder from goodwill

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wesleywillis posted:

Speaking of WEEDs!

For direct consumption,

SANTA CRUZ SHREDDER baybee

(or any other highly ranked and colorful weed grinder)

If you want something electric, I know somebody who really likes using a classic $18 Braun blade grinder, but I personally don’t like the way it makes the kief go all over the place in the chamber.

How much weed are you chopping up? Are you processing like a harvest or something?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Motronic posted:

No.

While it's possible for you to do this, it's going to require using a lot of them to do not much sharpening.

Actual professional sharpeners for mower blades are typically ruby grinding wheels. You can touch up (not really "sharpen") your mower blades a time or two with a grinding disc on an angle grinder. But they angle quickly ends up incorrect depending on how good you are at this and in the end, you simply can NOT sharpen a mower blade "properly" with an angle grinder because they are supposed to be hollow ground. This is not a profile you can reasonably get with an angle grinder.

So touch them up once or twice with a grinding disc and then send them out to be sharpened professionally to get the profile back to correct before they go too far out.

I'm not quite understanding why you can't use an angle grinder, I can get the same angle that the blades came with using my 9" grinder. I make a point to not overheat the metal and it cuts like a new blade until the next cinder block I run over.

For fall protection other than the weight my dbi Sala fr harness is fairly comfortable but costs a small fortune. I'd bet the non fr versions are considerably less.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpeedFreek posted:

I'm not quite understanding why you can't use an angle grinder, I can get the same angle that the blades came with using my 9" grinder. I make a point to not overheat the metal and it cuts like a new blade until the next cinder block I run over.

Hollow ground means the angle is not flat, it's concave. I'm not sure how you're getting that profile with an angle grinder.

Maybe you can't tell the difference but it's pretty obvious to me when you look at the quality of the cut and how long the edge holds.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Motronic posted:

Hollow ground means the angle is not flat, it's concave. I'm not sure how you're getting that profile with an angle grinder.

Maybe you can't tell the difference but it's pretty obvious to me when you look at the quality of the cut and how long the edge holds.

I would have thought hollow ground edges would be more delicate and not last as long since it's thinner at the cutting edge than flat or convex. Maybe that's considered an acceptable tradeoff with modern blades due to what I assume is more advanced longer lasting materials?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Motronic posted:

I dunno man, I did some googling and I'm not seeing anybody using a ruby stone to get a hollow grind on a lowly lawnmower blade. I see a video from Oregon Products where they grind a blade against a contact wheel on a dedicated mower blade-sharpening device, but its diameter is like 12" or something, making the hollow-ness of the grinds pretty loving minimal. Also they're using a standard grinding belt, no ruby wheels or whatever. Also you can absolutely do a rough hollow grind with an angle grinder if you try, if that's important to you.

It looks like sharpening lawnmower blades with an angle grinder is utterly commonplace- people who don't do that probably never maintain anything anyways, or just buy new blades.

Do you have a source or a guide or something showing anybody, anywhere, taking that kind of care and attention on a freaking lawnmower blade? A thing routinely smashed into rocks and roots?

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 26, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I sharpen my lawnmower blades once per year on my bench grinder. It takes me 15 minutes and I'm always happy with the result.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Uncle Enzo posted:

I dunno man, I did some googling and I'm not seeing anybody using a ruby stone to get a hollow grind on a lowly lawnmower blade.

I've owned one of these when I was a landscaper, every mower shop I have brought blades to get sharpened has owned something similar: https://www.powerequipmentwarehouse.com/rbg-bg-121-standard-blade-grinder

Uncle Enzo posted:

Do you have a source or a guide or something showing anybody, anywhere, taking that kind of care and attention on a freaking lawnmower blade? A thing routinely smashed into rocks and roots?

Just sharpen your blades however. You will find no benefit to getting the details right if you're doing/mowing.....whatever it is you are describing here.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Why tf is the M12 die or right-angle grinder so drat expensive? Brushless motor, electronic control board, gearset = $189 tool only???

Also, of the two which would you get, the right-angle grinder right? The DeWalt 20v is almost the same price but the in-line design seems a little less useful and it's bulky.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 27, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Why tf is the M12 die or right-angle grinder so drat expensive? Brushless motor, electronic control board, gearset = $189 tool only???

Also, of the two which would you get, the right-angle grinder right? The DeWalt 20v is almost the same price but the in-line design seems a little less useful and it's bulky.

I’m already in the M12 ecosystem, but the DeWalt does not hold much appeal regardless. This is another one where I’d search around eBay and the like first, then probably just pay up if you need the tool.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Is there a true benefit to mulching blades vs. other types? I only ever mulch.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Die grinders spin really loving fast, maybe that drives up the price? Mcmaster-carr showed a 25k rpm permanently lubricated bearing costing $30 for one. Obviously a manufacturer isn't paying that price, but still that's got to drive up the cost. And die grinders don't have the sales volume that other tools do which drives the cost up as well.

I think cordless tools have a strong price floor by their nature. No matter if it's a flashlight or a demolition hammer you are always incurring costs for the polymer housing, battery circuitry, on off switch+ other controls, dust proofing, etc. Even the cheapest DeWalt 20v flashlight is 70 bucks and that's base costs plus one LED. The M18 equivalent is 50 bucks.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

brugroffil posted:

Smaller pieces decompose faster, that said I think the high lift blade on my Ego cuts better because of the increase suction pulling the grass straight up or at least that’s what I tell myself.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

If you're actually mulching with the proper deck and blade (i.e. no discharge chute) then yes you need to be running an actual mulching profile blade.

I don't see any benefit to mulching. In fact I see a lot of negatives to it as it tends to build up a lot of thatch very quickly when grass is cut too much/left to grow too long. High lift blades on a good mower are what the vast majority of people mowing grass for a living use because that's what actually works in almost every situation on almost every type of grass. If you're in a situation where that is not working you probably need some sort of corrective action with the turf itself, but the short term solution is bagging, not mulching.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I will never bag.

My ancient inherited craftsmen cuts my yard fine (discharge cover installed), but one of the blades has a big gouge due to hitting a hidden rock at the end of last season and needs to be replaced. So I might as well go with the best option for my use case.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Motronic posted:

If you're actually mulching with the proper deck and blade (i.e. no discharge chute) then yes you need to be running an actual mulching profile blade.

I don't see any benefit to mulching. In fact I see a lot of negatives to it as it tends to build up a lot of thatch very quickly when grass is cut too much/left to grow too long. High lift blades on a good mower are what the vast majority of people mowing grass for a living use because that's what actually works in almost every situation on almost every type of grass. If you're in a situation where that is not working you probably need some sort of corrective action with the turf itself, but the short term solution is bagging, not mulching.

If you're just cutting off the tips, it doesn't really build up thatch that quickly. Not cutting frequently, and cutting longer grass blades when you do will build up thatch.

But that's why you buy a Greenworks de-thatcher on sale!

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Motronic posted:

I didnt know this but I'll still probably stick with the cheap diy ways, I'd be surprised if it made a huge difference.

The new blades I just picked up came with a flat edge, they're red and stamped with Exmark on them. I picked them up at the dealer and he never mentioned anything about sharpening them before using them.

I feel its only appropriate to have a discussion about grass on this page of the thread.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What’s the preferred leaf blower and string trimmer combo? I was going to buy the eGo set. Any reason to avoid?

My only other power tool is a rigid drill/driver and those batteries are 2ah so it’s not like I’m too deep into one brand/system.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 27, 2022

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Costco has a nice Greenworks combo might be worth checking out. I like my ego mower.

I think 18v blowers are useless for leaves, fine if you just want to blow grass clippings off your deck or driveway. Don’t get blower less than 600 CFM imo. My 20v Dewalt was a waste of money, my 60v is actually useful.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Enzo posted:

Die grinders spin really loving fast, maybe that drives up the price? Mcmaster-carr showed a 25k rpm permanently lubricated bearing costing $30 for one. Obviously a manufacturer isn't paying that price, but still that's got to drive up the cost. And die grinders don't have the sales volume that other tools do which drives the cost up as well.

I think cordless tools have a strong price floor by their nature. No matter if it's a flashlight or a demolition hammer you are always incurring costs for the polymer housing, battery circuitry, on off switch+ other controls, dust proofing, etc. Even the cheapest DeWalt 20v flashlight is 70 bucks and that's base costs plus one LED. The M18 equivalent is 50 bucks.

it's bullshit is what it is!!! You're probably right though, high speed bearings rated for high side (axial?) loads don't come cheap. Even corded variants are like $130+ but still, almost two hundred dollars for a niche tool is bogus. It was only like a year ago where it was a free tool thing like the loving radio lol

pneumatic die grinders are like $50 but I have fantasies of zipping around w my cordless grinder, fixing stuff as I go

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I paid 200+ cdn for a corded DeWalt due grinder like 10-12 years ago. The guy at Fastenal was pissed off at his boss and hooked me up with it for a lot cheaper than the book price on it. I might have been able to find it cheaper online somewhere but I never bothered looking.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I bought the M18 straight die grinder. It is big and only has one speed. I liked it so much, I also bought the M12 right angle die grinder. I really like the way the variable speed works on the M12 (variable speed trigger & 4 way switch to cap the max rpm). The M12 has finesse that the M18 definitely does not have.

(Both are good. Just get both.)

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Have you ever done some shaping or grinding that was a little too big for the Dremel, but you went ahead and it kinda worked, but not very well? You need a die grinder (or two).

Electric die grinders are bigger and heavier than a Dremel, but they can be more precise and more delicate for certain tasks. They are way less likely to bog down, so you can push them harder and have more control while doing it. That's the key thing, they have the power to be smooth.

My favorite tools:
Lennox Metal Max diamond-coated blades: 1.5" and 2". If you have the M18 die grinder, also get the 3". They seem to last well enough, and they won't explode like abrasive discs. Consider that these die grinders don't have guards.

2" Roloc abrasive pads. The die grinder will spin 2" scotchbrite fast enough to throw sparks. Really nice for surface prep.

Carbide burrs (rotary files) are nice for shaping metal, although they create the most vicious chips of any metal cutting tool.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Roloc scotch brite pads are the tits. Also consider not using a cheap Chinese roloc adapter, splurge a bit for the 3M, way better balance on mine (less vibration and probably better on the bearing). I was recommended to do it by someone and I do the same. I still have the cheap one as a spare just in case.

deimos fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 28, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Calidus posted:

Costco has a nice Greenworks combo might be worth checking out. I like my ego mower.

I think 18v blowers are useless for leaves, fine if you just want to blow grass clippings off your deck or driveway. Don’t get blower less than 600 CFM imo. My 20v Dewalt was a waste of money, my 60v is actually useful.

I was looking at the Costco set too but didn’t know about the brand. I really just need to blow dust and small dry debris (live in the desert) off the walking areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Is it possible to save a 20v dewalt battery that's been in salt water?

Couple weeks ago I was coming to shore from a barge and the boat I was on got hit by a big wake filling my tool bucket that had a 1/4" impact in it with water. I didn't notice till we docked and the battery was really hot when I fished it out. I disassembled and cleaned out the gun which works again but the battery won't work or charge.

Would it be worth getting a security bit and fiddling with it?

ryanrs posted:

Ha ha, Guyver needs to edit his post on the prev page to say it's been answered, or else we're going to see alarmed replies all week.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 28, 2022