Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Is that Kaminoan minifig head new? It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
What would be the easiest/quickest way for a UK person to get the Lego Optimus Prime? The Lego website says it's released June 1st which is the day before two bank holidays (ie shops/post mostly not happening). It can't be preordered there and even if it did it wouldn't arrive before the bank holidays, which would be the best time to get it. Are supermarkets likely to get it in?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Go to a lego shop?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
...I think I started typing that I don't have any actual toy shops near me but deleted it, probably would have been useful to say! Nearest Lego shops are all around London but I wouldn't be able to drive the 90 minutes each way. I'm not the desperate (I think!).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Basically you’re looking at doing the round trip to a Lego shop on the Wednesday, or ordering it Tuesday at the stroke of midnight, and then hoping it gets shipped out sometime Wednesday and mayyybe if you’re super lucky you’ll get it Saturday or Monday.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Pour one out for R5

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I love the AOTC Jedi Starfighter, but the chunky Clone Wars version just ruins the entire design and I hate that it’s become the default for all the merchandise in the last few years. Like, that set is clearly supposed to be an AOTC thing but it’s still the big fat stylized TCW silhouette.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love the AOTC Jedi Starfighter, but the chunky Clone Wars version just ruins the entire design and I hate that it’s become the default for all the merchandise in the last few years. Like, that set is clearly supposed to be an AOTC thing but it’s still the big fat stylized TCW silhouette.

They somehow made it resemble a shoe.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is that what happened to it? Back when I was into Star Wars, I had the OG Jedi Starfighter set and I always thought it looked gorgeous, especially for its time. Lovely lines and gentle angles. This current one looks like a lump of poo poo. I saw this set announcement yesterday and thought to myself, "I don't remember it looking like that, but if this is more true to the source material, I guess it's okay if it's not as sleek as the old one." But it's not? Unfortunate.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The CGI star wars did some ships dirty. Like the giraffe star destroyer.
I assume this aethersprite is for the Kameno and not obi

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

The_Doctor posted:

You just flash your VIP card and ask for it?

They had some ready to go on the counter because I got there at open and everyone in front of me (5 people) wanted one. I just pointed to it and gave them my email.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I wish the VW T2 camper van came with multiple sets of accessories. In my imagination it is driven by a sensible German businessman who travels a lot and uses it as a cost savings measure, not a filthy Californian surfing hippie.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

The_Doctor posted:

Basically you’re looking at doing the round trip to a Lego shop on the Wednesday, or ordering it Tuesday at the stroke of midnight, and then hoping it gets shipped out sometime Wednesday and mayyybe if you’re super lucky you’ll get it Saturday or Monday.

Seems to be! I've started seeing some on eBay now, £200+. Eeeevil

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Marmaduke! posted:

Seems to be! I've started seeing some on eBay now, £200+. Eeeevil

Zavvi will also have it, so they might be quicker with shipping?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Carbohydrates posted:

Is that what happened to it? Back when I was into Star Wars, I had the OG Jedi Starfighter set and I always thought it looked gorgeous, especially for its time. Lovely lines and gentle angles. This current one looks like a lump of poo poo. I saw this set announcement yesterday and thought to myself, "I don't remember it looking like that, but if this is more true to the source material, I guess it's okay if it's not as sleek as the old one." But it's not? Unfortunate.

Yeah, the Clone Wars show introduced a new version of it with the droid moved from the wing to in front of the cockpit, a stumpier almost chibi-like fuselage, and it shortened the length and width of the whole thing, making it much less sleek and dart-like.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

I wish the VW T2 camper van came with multiple sets of accessories. In my imagination it is driven by a sensible German businessman who travels a lot and uses it as a cost savings measure, not a filthy Californian surfing hippie.

It also should come with a bazooka.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If only it were possible to modify lego sets to include the design or features your brain dreams up!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I don't have any spare lego they're all assembled as instructed.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I'm making a bazooka out of 1x1 plates and tiles they thought I'd lose.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

:hmmyes:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Now that we have a butthole tiger, I think we need even more anatomically correct sets. Elephant dongs. Dogs with balls that you can remove as a responsible pet owner.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I learned today that Van Gogh is my mom's favorite painter, and Starry Night is her favorite painting.

Shame we're past Mother's Day and I'm still months out for her birthday...maybe a retirement gift?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I got some new Lego

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
classic space full back piece when

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Chairchucker posted:

I got some new Lego

Who is that next to Kate?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

RatHat posted:

Who is that next to Kate?

Yelena

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
The Starry Night arrived this morning. I'm going to need a yellow football helmet with green stripes for the minifigure of the cardboard adventures set.

Skios fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 27, 2022

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sometimes I wonder if the redesigned Jedi Starfighter came about because when the did the AotC one, it had the astromech on the wing, and someone pointed out to George that the wing wasn't entirely deep enough to fit the whole body (because they only used its dome on the model), and George waved them off. "We can cheat it. It's on the underside. No one will notice."

Nerds will George. Nerds will notice.

(Then again, this was from one of the making of docs. So I wouldn't be surprised if George did it on purpose just to mess with people.)

Also, re: sticker talk. You used to be able to buy Lego activity books that even came with stickers to put on your bricks. Including minifig torso pieces. :unsmigghh:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's a reverse N1, where instead the hole is too long and the astromech has to be stretched out to fit.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

deoju posted:

classic space full back piece when

Honestly never been into classic space. If I were to get more, it'd be more overtly nerd stuff.

Also that experience has persuaded me I'm never sitting for more than one minifig at a time again, I'm too old to hold one position for 6 hours.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah classic Space was a bit before my time. My favourites as a kid in the 90s were Castle(specifically the Ninjas wave), Western, and Adventurers.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Skios posted:

The Starry Night arrived this morning. I'm going to need a yellow football helmet with green stripes for the minifigure of the cardboard adventures set.

Is there a lego pogo stick?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Pyroclastic posted:

I learned today that Van Gogh is my mom's favorite painter, and Starry Night is her favorite painting.

Shame we're past Mother's Day and I'm still months out for her birthday...maybe a retirement gift?

Maybe just a nice gift out of nowhere? I think people like those too :)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Chairchucker posted:

Honestly never been into classic space.
OK, then do Galidor instead.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
gently caress, I missed ordering the Starry Night set. Dunno why I thought it was June 1st availability.

Is it being sold anywhere else that isn't just scalpers?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Davros1 posted:

Sometimes I wonder if the redesigned Jedi Starfighter came about because when the did the AotC one, it had the astromech on the wing, and someone pointed out to George that the wing wasn't entirely deep enough to fit the whole body (because they only used its dome on the model), and George waved them off. "We can cheat it. It's on the underside. No one will notice."

Nerds will George. Nerds will notice.

(Then again, this was from one of the making of docs. So I wouldn't be surprised if George did it on purpose just to mess with people.)

Also, re: sticker talk. You used to be able to buy Lego activity books that even came with stickers to put on your bricks. Including minifig torso pieces. :unsmigghh:

They explained it at one point by saying that it was an incomplete astromech that's just hardwired into the wing. I think the model has a different designation, but I forget.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

quoting from the schadenfreude thread:

easily 150 hours of work there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

quoting from the schadenfreude thread:

easily 150 hours of work there.

Way more than that probably since they are all mixed up now. That's like 150 hours out of the original bags lol.

Bonus from that thread. One of my favorite sub genres of Lego posting is "guy who has no idea what he is talking about but loves to mention how Lego is all custom parts now"

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

These tie-in sets are full of custom pieces not found anywhere else and only usable for that one model (to the point that I'd be entirely unsurprised to learn that whoever owns the rights mandated it).

I swear there is not a public forum that covers Lego that doesn't have one of these guys in the comments.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

There was also this guy a few posts after:

Jedit posted:

There is one more thing about that shelf collapse that hasn't been thought of yet: Legos don't just spring apart. There's a very strong likelihood that a large number of the pieces in those sets got broken, and as previously mentioned a lot of them are custom parts. I would be surprised if the guy can rebuild them all, even with the time and will to do so.

Lego springing apart is literally the entire point of it. If it's gonna break, it'll do so along the weakest possible lines, which are the ones designed for a toddler to be able to separate. Of course you could get unlucky and actually break a few thin plates but nowhere near enough to render the sets useless.

I pointed all of this out in a post 7 pages later and got :goonsay: in response which I suppose is fair given I'm now talking about them in the Lego thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A traditionally built lego construction will fall apart, but with the modern technique of building a skin around a rigid technic skeleton, breakage is definitely possible.

It just depends on how unlucky the fall is and if any piece hits hard enough that it bends before the bricks around it separate.

Or what if it's built entirely of reddish brown pieces? :v: