Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm on the hunt for body horror in the mode of The Thing. Strange body plans, twisted appendages, surreal appearances, different creatures being morphed together, the works. Both people being mutated into weird forms and monsters that are just naturally that way are of interest to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

FPyat posted:

I'm on the hunt for body horror in the mode of The Thing. Strange body plans, twisted appendages, surreal appearances, different creatures being morphed together, the works. Both people being mutated into weird forms and monsters that are just naturally that way are of interest to me.

The Deep does some of that. Also you could read Frozen Hell (or Who Goes There if you just want the novella), it's the inspiration for The Thing, but honestly it's pretty tame so it feels much more like straight-up sci fi in a modern context.

The Cipher has some surreal body horror stuff too.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

FPyat posted:

Apocalypse Strain by Jason Parent

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Opopanax posted:

I wish Amazon wasn't so...Amazon. I want to read Carrier Wave but near as I can tell it's only available off the kindle store, and while removing DRM and converting is possible, it's such a pain in the rear end I'd really rather not. Such a stupid system if I buy a book I should be able to read it on whatever device I have

It looks like it might not have DRM on the US amazon site at least? It has "Simultaneous device usage ‏ : ‎ Unlimited" in the product description which from some googling seems like it means there's no DRM/you can do whatever you want with the file (though you might still have to convert it though depending on what you plan to put it on of course). I could be wrong though! I haven't really messed around with converting ebook files in 10+ years.

(I absolutely agree their proprietary file formats are hot bullshit.)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

DurianGray posted:

It looks like it might not have DRM on the US amazon site at least? It has "Simultaneous device usage ‏ : ‎ Unlimited" in the product description which from some googling seems like it means there's no DRM/you can do whatever you want with the file (though you might still have to convert it though depending on what you plan to put it on of course). I could be wrong though! I haven't really messed around with converting ebook files in 10+ years.

(I absolutely agree their proprietary file formats are hot bullshit.)

Maybe, but if I try to buy something it'll just redirect me to the Canadian kindle page :thumbsup: And then yeah it's still going to be in the amazon format so that only saves me one step (although granted it's the most difficult one)

I just emailed Brockway to see if he'll direct sell me an epub, that works sometimes.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Opopanax posted:

Maybe, but if I try to buy something it'll just redirect me to the Canadian kindle page :thumbsup: And then yeah it's still going to be in the amazon format so that only saves me one step (although granted it's the most difficult one)

I just emailed Brockway to see if he'll direct sell me an epub, that works sometimes.

Ah that sucks it's such a pain even without DRM. Good luck with maybe getting that epub copy, though!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FPyat posted:

The further you go into Necroscope the more of that you'll get. Cabal and The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker have some as well.

Sidebar suggestion: Converts by Ian Watson. It's about a mega wealthy industrialist who hires scientists to find a way to create genetically modified supermen. It isn't really horror, but it's still close enough to what you want.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FPyat posted:

The Stars are Legion by Kameron Hurley

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Jedit posted:

The further you go into Necroscope the more of that you'll get.

The Tzimisce (praying I spelled that right) are based on the vampires from Necroscope. It's body horror as all hell in places.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shitstorm Trooper posted:

The Tzimisce (praying I spelled that right) are based on the vampires from Necroscope. It's body horror as all hell in places.

Did you ever finish Necroscope V or start the Vampire World trilogy? I've been wondering.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Nah I haven't finished five. I decided I needed to give it a rest and read The Road and a couple Titus Crow books. I should be back to it soon though.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Thank you for all that!

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

FPyat posted:

The Hematophages by Stephen Kozeniewski

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Traxis posted:

The Hematophages by Stephen Kozeniewski

This book disappointed me so much. Such a great, fun story for 99% and then it shits the bed in the last three pages in an effort to be edgy.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

day-gas posted:

Ended up abandoning A God of Hungry Walls as it felt very needlessly cruel with seemingly no development of any narrative, characters, or themes. Curious if somebody else has tried it.
I actually really enjoyed this one. It has a sense of hopelessness that reminded me of early Clive Barker. I am a fan of Garrett Cook, he has some cool ideas and imagery.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Opopanax posted:

He sent me a copy, indie authors rule. Apparently it's amazon exclusive through some deal his agent set so I'll have to buy it there for it to count but that's fair enough

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Outta curiosity, anyone have recs for horror audio books? I like lighthouse horror on youtube but I'm getting a lil tired of the repetitive stories.

I've started The Sound at the End by Kirsty Logan, which isn't horror afaik, it's mystery / thriller. But I really like the variety of voice actors and the characterization. It's no Dark Matter by Michelle Paver but I can pretend it's arctic horror / deep sea horror if I squint at the metaphors lol

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

value-brand cereal posted:

Outta curiosity, anyone have recs for horror audio books? I like lighthouse horror on youtube but I'm getting a lil tired of the repetitive stories.

I've started The Sound at the End by Kirsty Logan, which isn't horror afaik, it's mystery / thriller. But I really like the variety of voice actors and the characterization. It's no Dark Matter by Michelle Paver but I can pretend it's arctic horror / deep sea horror if I squint at the metaphors lol

If you haven't already check out the NoSleep podcast. There are dozens by now and they're mostly pretty good

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

value-brand cereal posted:

Sorry I can't help with audio books, but Knifepoint Horror has some pretty good stuff and the first like 80 episodes of the Magnus Archives is good too. (I don't hate the rest, I just fell off and can't vouch for it.)

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Another good podcast in that vein is I Am In Eskew, about a man trapped in a city that doesn't exist. It's technically one long narrative but every episode is its own disconnected short story until the halfway point or so, and even then there are standalone episodes that technically connect to the metaplot but stand alone just fine as little bits of city planning horror (they focus on events the narrator isn't seeing in places he's never been to so they never reference established details).

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Oh right, I forgot podcasts exist. Thanks y'all, I'll give Knifepoint Horror and nosleep a shot. I'm not sure about diving into Magnus archives as that seems like a huge huge story to get invested in at the moment. You have to time it right in order to really let things seep into the brain folds. You know what I mean?

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Another good podcast in that vein is I Am In Eskew, about a man trapped in a city that doesn't exist. It's technically one long narrative but every episode is its own disconnected short story until the halfway point or so, and even then there are standalone episodes that technically connect to the metaplot but stand alone just fine as little bits of city planning horror (they focus on events the narrator isn't seeing in places he's never been to so they never reference established details).

Big thank you to this, I'll pass it onto my BLAME! obsessed friend. They do love some weird architecture / city horror.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Magnus technically has a "story" but it's a very, very slow build so I wouldn't stress about it. For reference, I listened to first like half a dozen episodes then jumped ahead by accident to like 90-something and was still following it fine. It's less like missing an episode of a serialized show and more like they reference older episodes.

For Knifepoint, the episode from January 21st 2016 "fields" was my intro and it hooked me pretty god drat hard. I was listening to that on my way to class, a student saw me just absolutely losing my poo poo having a cigarette outside the building and it became a joke the whole rest of the semester.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've recently started listening to Old Gods of Appalachia and it would definitely fit the bill too. It's maybe a little more weird fiction flavored than straight-up horror, but at least a couple of the early ones are pretty strong supernatural horror stories.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I've recently started listening to Old Gods of Appalachia and it would definitely fit the bill too. It's maybe a little more weird fiction flavored than straight-up horror, but at least a couple of the early ones are pretty strong supernatural horror stories.

Does that pick up? I heard about it from over in Trad Games (:wave: by the way), and I gave it a try but it didn't really hook me. It just seemed kind of fine, I guess, and the highest praise I had was that they correctly pronounced "Appalachia". drat shame too, because "haunted dark rural mountains" is basically my entire life goal and aesthetic.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm not sure yet, honestly. It's a very slow-burn kind of storytelling, and yeah I agree it's a little too slow at times. I've only listened to four or five so far and I like it a lot, but I definitely have to be in the mood for something that takes its time. I can let you know once I get through a little more, if nobody else chimes in on it.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

I don't really mind a lame or silly mythos story, has anyone read Tales of Cthulhu Invictus? Should I give it a look? I like the concept but I've been burned by themed mythos story compilations like that before.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I need a good novel. A good 300, 400 page novel. Only Good Indians, Boatman's Daughter, Lush And Seething Hell (I know it's two novels), Negative Space, Last Days, Father of Lies, Fisherman, Cabin at the End of the World, Southern Gods, Swan Song, were all ones I enjoyed last year. I probably forgot a few but that gives you a good idea. Heart is a Chainsaw was just okay to me, same with Night of the Mannequins. I am leaning towards Mongrels though.

I've been doing a lot of short stories, Evenson, Fracassi, Bartlett, Ligotti, Padgett, Barron, Langan. I just need something a little longer.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

A Black and Endless Sky by Matthew Lyons

quote:

From the author of The Night Will Find Us comes a white-knuckled horror-thriller set across the American Southwest.
Road trips can be hell.
Siblings Jonah and Nell Talbot used to be inseparable, but ever since Jonah suddenly blew town twelve years ago, they couldn’t be more distant. Now, in the wake of Jonah’s divorce, they embark on a cross-country road trip back to their hometown of Albuquerque, hoping to mend their broken relationship along the way.

But when a strange accident befalls Nell at an abandoned industrial site somewhere in the Nevada desert, she begins experiencing ghastly visions and exhibiting terrifying, otherworldly symptoms. As their journey through the desolate American Southwest reveals the grotesque change happening within his sister, one thing becomes clear to Jonah: It’s not only Nell in there anymore.

Pursued by a mysterious stranger who knows far more about Nell’s worsening condition than they let on, the siblings race to find a way to help Nell and escape the desert before they’re met with a violent, bloody end. But there are far worse things lurking in the desert ahead… some of them just beneath the skin.
I liked the tension and uncommon [to me] type of religious possession. Demonic possession? It's not entirely clear, though I assume there's some middle eastern / very old flavor of christianity involved. Think Pazuzu from the The Exorcist movie series. I also liked that there was a unexpanded upon subculture of generational demon hunters. That's cool. I didn't care for his other book but I did enjoy this one a lot. Who knew hole could be so dangerous? This is why we need OSHA.

Sundial by Catriona Ward

quote:

You can’t escape what’s in your blood…
All Rob wanted was a normal life. She almost got it, too: a husband, two kids, a nice house in the suburbs. But Rob fears for her oldest daughter, Callie, who collects tiny bones and whispers to imaginary friends. Rob sees a darkness in Callie, one that reminds her too much of the family she left behind. She decides to take Callie back to her childhood home, to Sundial, deep in the Mojave Desert.

And there she will have to make a terrible choice. Callie is worried about her mother. Rob has begun to look at her strangely, and speaks of past secrets. And Callie fears that only one of them will leave Sundial alive…The mother and daughter embark on a dark, desert journey to the past in the hopes of redeeming their future.
Not purely horror but definitely a thriller and full of hosed up psychological suspense. It's kind of like Riley Sager in that oh there MIGHT be paranormal or supernatural poo poo going on, read to find out!, you know?

A Certain Hunger by Chelsea G. Summers

quote:

Food critic Dorothy Daniels loves what she does. Discerning, meticulous, and very, very smart, Dorothy's clear mastery of the culinary arts make it likely that she could, on any given night, whip up a more inspired dish than any one of the chefs she writes about. Dorothy loves sex as much as she loves food, and while she has struggled to find a long-term partner that can keep up with her, she makes the best of her single life, frequently traveling from Manhattan to Italy for a taste of both.

But there is something within Dorothy that's different from everyone else, and having suppressed it long enough, she starts to embrace what makes Dorothy uniquely, terrifyingly herself. Recounting her life from a seemingly idyllic farm-to-table childhood, the heights of her career, to the moment she plunges an ice pick into a man's neck on Fire Island, Dorothy Daniels show us what happens when a woman finally embraces her superiority.

A satire of early foodieism, a critique of how gender is defined, and a showcase of virtuoso storytelling, Chelsea G. Summers' A Certain Hunger introduces us to the food world's most charming psychopath and an exciting new voice in fiction.
not horror per se either, there's no supernatural or paranormal. But if you liked hannibal lecter or cannibals murdering through modern society, you may like this one. The descriptions of food are very lush. Not to be a huge freak but it did make me hungry while reading it.

A God in the Shed by J F Dubeau

quote:

-Move over True Detective. A rich, gothic story of murder and mystery, A God in The Shed is quite possibly one of the most enthralling novels I've read in the last ten years. Dubeau is a force to be reckoned with.- --Jerry Smith, Fangoria Magazine and Blumhouse.com
The village of Saint-Ferdinand has all the trappings of a quiet life: farmhouses stretching from one main street, a small police precinct, a few diners and cafes, and a grocery store. Though if an out-of-towner stopped in, they would notice one unusual thing--a cemetery far too large and much too full for such a small town, lined with the victims of the Saint-Ferdinand Killer, who has eluded police for nearly two decades. It's not until after Inspector Stephen Crowley finally catches the killer that the town discovers even darker forces are at play.
When a dark spirit reveals itself to Venus McKenzie, one of Saint-Ferdinand's teenage residents, she learns that this creature's power has a long history with her town--and that the serial murders merely scratch the surface of a past burdened by evil secrets. (less)
First in a series. Duology, I think? I've only read this book and not the sequel. I liked the supernatural aspect and the folk horror. I wish the rest of the book was more like the beginning. It's kind of 'small town secrets and sins involving arcane rituals that are coming to a violent, blood conclusion'. It's more a gothic horror than high tension horror. Definitely creepy. I think it could be read as a standalone, but what I read of the sequel was pretty good. I should really finish it.

White Tears by Hari Kunzru

quote:

Ghost story, murder mystery, love letter to American music--White Tears is all of this and more, a thrilling investigation of race and appropriation in society today. Seth is a shy, awkward twentysomething. Carter is more glamorous, the heir to a great American fortune. But they share an obsession with music--especially the blues. One day, Seth discovers that he's accidentally recorded an unknown blues singer in a park.

Carter puts the file online, claiming it's a 1920s recording by a made-up musician named Charlie Shaw. But when a music collector tells them that their recording is genuine--that there really was a singer named Charlie Shaw--the two white boys, along with Carter's sister, find themselves in over their heads, delving deeper and deeper into America's dark, vengeful heart. White Tears is a literary thriller and a meditation on art--who owns it, who can consume it, and who profits from it.
If you liked Lushing Seething hell for its local, race based folk horror, you might like this. The constant uncertainty of the MC's and Shaws fate was really tense for me.

House of Small Shadows by Adam Nevill

quote:

Catherine's last job ended badly. Corporate bullying at a top TV network saw her fired and forced to leave London, but she was determined to get her life back. A new job and a few therapists later, things look much brighter. Especially when a challenging new project presents itself -- to catalogue the late M. H. Mason's wildly eccentric cache of antique dolls and puppets. Rarest of all, she'll get to examine his elaborate displays of posed, costumed and preserved animals, depicting bloody scenes from the Great War. Catherine can't believe her luck when Mason's elderly niece invites her to stay at Red House itself, where she maintains the collection until his niece exposes her to the dark message behind her uncle's "Art." Catherine tries to concentrate on the job, but Mason's damaged visions begin to raise dark shadows from her own past. Shadows she'd hoped therapy had finally erased. Soon the barriers between reality, sanity and memory start to merge and some truths seem too terrible to be real... in The House of Small Shadows by Adam Nevill.
I have conflicting thoughts about this. Incredibly well written, creepy as gently caress, bizarre in a 80s b movie way at times, the haunted house is not haunted but its occupants haunt it so it's basically haunted, loud question marks?? This book made me afraid to walk through my apartment alone in the dark at night, again. But on the other hand, disabilities and disfigurements used as a plot device in the horror genre is um. Difficult to do and often pretty cruel to disabled people. So there is that.

Hopefully one of these books is new and interesting for you. I haven't read anything new that really stuck with me. Jennifer McMahon's newest book ' The Children on the Hill ' looks interest, no clue if it's horror or literary suspense.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Conrad_Birdie posted:

This might be silly but I’m having trouble finding a reasonably priced copy of Between Two Fires rn and it’s not in the NYPL library system (wtf)… does anyone in this thread want to sell me their copy, or have an extra they can send my way? All the talk in this thread makes me want to read it really badly!

O, you don't have PM's. I was wondering why you never messaged me.

Free copy of Between two Fires, all yours, just gotta figure out logistics of getting it to you.

It's got a knight fighting some sick rear end hell monsters that'd look pretty sweet airbrushed on a van, you'll love it.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Xiahou Dun posted:

Free copy of Between two Fires, all yours, just gotta figure out logistics of getting it to you.

It's got a knight fighting some sick rear end hell monsters that'd look pretty sweet airbrushed on a van, you'll love it.

Whoa, mine is just a skeleton, post that poo poo

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Whoa, mine is just a skeleton, post that poo poo

Lol.

Now I want that to be all book covers. Like that’s just how copies of The Joy Luck Club are sold from now on.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
nthing the Tender is the flesh rec, short and very good.

Also worth mentioning are Samanta Schweblin’s Moutful of Birds, and Mariana Enriquez’s The things we lost in the fire.

Both are short horror story collections by female Latin American authors, in case you are trying to up your diversity score.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nemo posted:

nthing the Tender is the flesh rec, short and very good.

Also worth mentioning are Samanta Schweblin’s Moutful of Birds, and Mariana Enriquez’s The things we lost in the fire.

Both are short horror story collections by female Latin American authors, in case you are trying to up your diversity score.

This was gifted to me in a TBB Secret Santa, and I keep forgetting it's a horror book. Gonna bump this up higher on my list.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah sorry I meant to tell you that but I’ve also been training for a new job this week so I’m all over da place. Hey that’s really awesome of you! Let me get back to you this evening. I’ll give ya an email address and we can figure it out.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Yeah sorry I meant to tell you that but I’ve also been training for a new job this week so I’m all over da place. Hey that’s really awesome of you! Let me get back to you this evening. I’ll give ya an email address and we can figure it out.

I have a silly cut-out e-mail that I use for this stuff already : [username]sa@gmail

Without brackets, obviously, just my username run together plus SA. I'll probably respond with my actual e-mail in case you wonder why you get something from Extremelygerman von Krauterton.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Xiahou Dun posted:

I have a silly cut-out e-mail that I use for this stuff already : [username]sa@gmail

Without brackets, obviously, just my username run together plus SA. I'll probably respond with my actual e-mail in case you wonder why you get something from Extremelygerman von Krauterton.

You’re wonderful! I’ll email tonight!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The Discord has failed me.

Can anyone here suggest a good horror story set in the Old West?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

if short stories count, “Lonegan’s Luck” by Stephen Graham Jones

Tom Franklin’s novel Smonk also brushes against horror just by being so grotesque

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Charlz Guybon posted:

It’s not the typical Wild West, but Laird Barron’s The Men From Porlock is a great short story set in a late 19th or early 20th century logging camp in the Pacific Northwest. It’s in his Beautiful Thing that Awaits Us All collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I know Brian Evenson has a couple too but the names escape me at the moment. Also I think Michael Wehunt has a few? Super helpful, I know.