Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I think after hong kong the reunification faction is going to be sorely outnumbered for awhile.

Also I dont think the Taiwanese would fight for the sake of being Taiwanese rather to not be subjects of a totalitarian dictatorship.

Despera fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

ronya posted:

Today China hesitates to confront Taiwan too aggressively as the domestic conventional wisdom is that 1996 backfired and instead confirmed Lee Teng-Hui's localization drive through a landslide electoral victory

A blockade is unnecessary: the Taiwanese economy is itself enormously exposed to China. China can harass Taiwanese agricultural exports at present because it knows that farmers are a key swing electoral constituency, but this is a peacetime tactic. To really escalate a national crisis for Taipei, instead China could just completely obliterate Taiwanese industrial exports to China (drawing instead from, e.g., South Korea). It could ban China Airlines from its airspace and Taiwan-bound ships from its ports. It could annex Kinmen at its discretion at pretty much any time.

Beijing today possesses many options short of a wholesale invasion of Taiwan island that it does not use on Taiwan for fear of completely losing the possibility of an acquiescent (if grudging) reunification, like Hong Kong

Conversely Taiwan - being democratic - is in no position to coldly render, on rational strategic calculation, the really critical decision that would decide its fate: does it want to be Taiwanese, if it meant risking really significant costs in blood and treasure? The Taiwan electorate will decide that, and Beijing may do something so carelessly repellent that it may drive voters to do so even if it is not rational (to use that favourite word)

If China hadn't been as amazingly draconian with Hong Kong as it has been, the DPP would already be toast for all of these reasons and Taiwan would be dominated by reunification-sympathetic parties. Most Taiwanese people view their economic prospects as being inextricably linked to China whether they like it or not.

The PRC in the long term has all the economic ammunition it needs to make reunification an inevitability as long as they remain competent in using their soft power.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
We just watched Putin squander 99% of his 'soft power' over the course of a couple of months, and he was probably sitting at the apex of his soft power, at that.

The CCP is a similarly authoritarian, fascist-adjacent government obsessed with it's own image (from within and without). I wouldn't bet money on pure rationality ruling the day.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
What is this economic dependence leading to reunification? If beijing wants a trade war,(not good for soft power) you are an island in the south pacific, you got options. Ukraine was dependant on the russian economy untill it wasnt. Just because you/buy sell with someone doesnt mean you want to become them, ask canada. People dont give up thier soverienty to save a little money. Taiwans almost as old as the soviet union and its been trending further away from unification.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

hes running

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

into a jail cell!!!!!

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Is Taiwanese Patrick Henry like "Give me liberty or save me 5% on grain imports"? I dont get it

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Tomn posted:

Regarding Taiwanese defense, my father was a conscript in the '70s and from what he said the whole experience was a mess of incompetence, nepotism, and on the whole pretty much a waste of time.

Things have gotten worse if anything. I have been following Taiwanese defense stories for many years now and it is only with the latest attack on Ukraine which has really galvanized politicians and public sentiment. There is literally no training of military value in the current 4 month conscription curriculum and the reservist program is in a state where it will generate little to no useful manpower for the Taiwanese.

As one US Marine General put it a couple of years ago, it is almost like the defense of the country is someone else's job (paraphrasing). Regardless of one particular poster screeching about 50 years of preparation, the Taiwanese have a long way to go before they can say they have a competent plan of defense.

ronya posted:

Today China hesitates to confront Taiwan too aggressively as the domestic conventional wisdom is that 1996 backfired and instead confirmed Lee Teng-Hui's localization drive through a landslide electoral victory

I am not sure how to square that with the constant exercises which clearly are aimed to demonstrate its ability to coerce the Taiwanese into subjugation when the stated goal of such exercises are to cut off Taiwan.

Edit phone posting is hard

MikeC fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 26, 2022

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Red and Black posted:

It's not just an island to them, it's connected to them by hundreds of years of history and represents the last part of their territory left outside their direct control

This was Russia's logic in Ukraine.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

MikeC posted:

Regardless of one particular poster screeching about 50 years of preparation, the Taiwanese have a long way to go before they can say they have a competent plan of defense.

I actually mean 70 years (since the 50s). If its soo easy why hasnt china made an attempt pretty much ever?

(Also in the 70s the PLA was getting its rear end kicked by vietnam)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Despera posted:

Ukraine was dependant on the russian economy untill it wasnt.

I mean, a cursory glance at several measurements (GDP, for example) suggest that depending on which occasion you're referencing Ukraine has either yet to recover economically (1991) or has only recently recovered via aggressive loaning (2014), and that's a country with land borders that Russia couldn't interfere with, and until the war relatively unrestricted access to its ports.

Taiwan has the disadvantage [in comparison to Ukraine] in terms of size, militarization, logistical connection to militant allies, and the ability to defend its supply lines. The reason for a lack of an offensive is less out of a tactical nor geopolitical fear (the global economy is tethered to China, whether it likes that or not), but for the reasons Ronya brought up; an occupation wouldn't accomplish much, they already have strong influence & benefits from Taiwan's economy, and it's far more prestigious/good for political narratives if the final anticommunist holdout in China finds itself compelled to integrate peacefully. However long that takes.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Despera posted:

I actually mean 70 years (since the 50s). If its soo easy why hasnt china made an attempt pretty much ever?

because china has very accurately gauged the winds of the world and realize that given the trajectory since the 70s, capturing the western manufacturing base and following that up with capturing increasing percentages of reserve currencies (you are here), will eventually result in taiwan begging to reenter china peacefully and orderly, as the US and europe's ability to project force and economic dominance fades.

in other words, why buy the cow when the milk is going to be free?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Stringent posted:

because china has very accurately gauged the winds of the world and realize that given the trajectory since the 70s, capturing the western manufacturing base and following that up with capturing increasing percentages of reserve currencies (you are here), will eventually result in taiwan begging to reenter china peacefully and orderly, as the US and europe's ability to project force and economic dominance fades.

There seems to be a

Step 3. ???

missing in that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Despera posted:

they were appearing to gear up for a try during the clinton administration when suddenly a us carrier group or two decided to sit on taiwan for completely random reasons

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

MikeC posted:

I am not sure how to square that with the constant exercises which clearly are aimed to demonstrate its ability to coerce the Taiwanese into subjugation when the stated goal of such exercises are to cut off Taiwan.

location, mostly. In the 1995/1996 crisis the PLA was lobbing ballistic missiles at very nearly Kaohsiung or Keelung/Taipei City. There has been no analogue since and hence no sense of panic

ronya fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 27, 2022

Dasar
Apr 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kalit posted:

Where are the statements from Amazon/Walmart stating they are overstaffed? Who is this random twitter account making this claim with a graph that only shows the total number of employees and no other context/listed sources?

Based on the name/symbol, I'm assuming it's a Qanon based twitter profile.......

You assumed it was a Q-Anon based profile because you saw a Q avi? That's great.

Anyway, here you go:https://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-amazon-overstaffed-q1-profit-impact-2022-5?international=true&r=US&IR=T

I just typed "walmart amazon overstaffed" into Google.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Stringent posted:

Us impatient westerners who cant see the 5d chess as the chinese carefully bide their time. The taiwanese will be soon begging to rejoin china!

We are 72 loving years in and reunifications polling at 10%. Problem with 100 year plans is a lot can happen in 100 years.

Also europe has been force projecting the south china sea for nearly 500 years

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Despera fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 27, 2022

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Despera posted:

Us impatient westerners who cant see the 5d chess as the chinese carefully bide their time. The taiwanese will be soon begging to rejoin china!

We are 72 loving years in and reunifications polling at 10%. Problem with 100 year plans is a lot can happen in 100 years.

Also europe has been force projecting the south china sea for nearly 500 years

Thats why we need a strong reunited China to kick out the filthy colonizers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Genuinely curious how many examples there are of nations willingly choosing to integrate with another nation due to economic benefits/pressure. I'm having trouble thinking of many - maaaaybe German reunification but that's as much political as economic I would have thought. Seems like the Taiwanese economy being integrated with China doesn't mean much if it can reap those economic benefits while still maintaining political independence, and if China uses economic pressure tactics to force compliance that just ends up reinforcing the political argument that "China can't be trusted, if they're willing to act like this now when we still have some ability to resist how will they act when we're wholly under their thumb?"

Like, at the end of the day, what does Taiwan gain from integrating with China, and what does it lose? I'm not really sure that I see that there ARE many gains, especially since Beijing has demonstrated that at any time, as it desires, it could swing its dick around and wipe away whatever benefits were negotiated for by treaty. Meanwhile Hong Kong provides ample example of what will be lost. There's potential losses to be had from defying Beijing too hard, but that's not the same thing as gains from accepting its overlordship. The only reason I can see for Taiwan to agree to integrate is if the geopolitical situation has gotten to a point where it's absolutely certain that the West cannot and will not intervene in an invasion of Taiwan and it's absolutely certain that China would win such an invasion, and even then agreement would be grudging and I'd give it 50/50 whether they agree to integrate or just go full "It's all gonna burn anyways, Revolution of Our Times!"

I can sorta see how someone might have the idea that it's better to be on the inside pissing out than being on the outside getting pissed on, but you're gonna get pissed on by the guys at the top if you're on the inside anyways so why bother?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Tomn posted:

Genuinely curious how many examples there are of nations willingly choosing to integrate with another nation due to economic benefits/pressure. I'm having trouble thinking of many - maaaaybe German reunification but that's as much political as economic I would have thought. Seems like the Taiwanese economy being integrated with China doesn't mean much if it can reap those economic benefits while still maintaining political independence, and if China uses economic pressure tactics to force compliance that just ends up reinforcing the political argument that "China can't be trusted, if they're willing to act like this now when we still have some ability to resist how will they act when we're wholly under their thumb?"

Like, at the end of the day, what does Taiwan gain from integrating with China, and what does it lose? I'm not really sure that I see that there ARE many gains, especially since Beijing has demonstrated that at any time, as it desires, it could swing its dick around and wipe away whatever benefits were negotiated for by treaty. Meanwhile Hong Kong provides ample example of what will be lost. There's potential losses to be had from defying Beijing too hard, but that's not the same thing as gains from accepting its overlordship. The only reason I can see for Taiwan to agree to integrate is if the geopolitical situation has gotten to a point where it's absolutely certain that the West cannot and will not intervene in an invasion of Taiwan and it's absolutely certain that China would win such an invasion, and even then agreement would be grudging and I'd give it 50/50 whether they agree to integrate or just go full "It's all gonna burn anyways, Revolution of Our Times!"

I can sorta see how someone might have the idea that it's better to be on the inside pissing out than being on the outside getting pissed on, but you're gonna get pissed on by the guys at the top if you're on the inside anyways so why bother?

Singapore joining Malaysia but that only lasted 2 years.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Tomn posted:

Genuinely curious how many examples there are of nations willingly choosing to integrate with another nation due to economic benefits/pressure.

Maybe Newfoundland counts? Or Texas? Not really analogous to how modern trade works but also it’s not just a dispassionate choice as much as seeing the proverbial writing on the wall, as it would be in this scenario with Taiwan.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

eSports Chaebol posted:

Maybe Newfoundland counts? Or Texas? Not really analogous to how modern trade works but also it’s not just a dispassionate choice as much as seeing the proverbial writing on the wall, as it would be in this scenario with Taiwan.

If we’re going down that route, Ballard ought to count. They even had a different language and culture and everything ;)

quote:

On May 29, 1907, Ballard officially became part of Seattle. Ballard was the second-largest city in King County — with about 17,000 residents in 1906 — when troubles over the city's water supply led to a historic vote to become annexed by the city of Seattle.

https://www.seattle.gov/cityarchives/exhibits-and-education/online-exhibits/annexed-cities/ballard posted:

When the town incorporated in 1890, it had 1,636 residents. By 1900, its 4,568 residents made it the seventh largest city in Washington, and the population continued to boom, growing to 17,000 by the time of annexation in 1907. Growth was quickly overwhelming the city's ability to provide services, and a safe water supply was a continuing problem. In 1902, Ballard made an agreement with Seattle to tap into its water system, and was using more than 5 million gallons a year. This expenditure was adding to the city's debt, and many citizens believed that the city was becoming unable to sustain itself.

More than the other annexed cities, Ballard was divided on the issue of merging with Seattle. Indeed, in the first annexation vote in 1905, the citizens decided to remain independent. However, enough minds were changed 15 months later that annexation won out on the second vote. Ballard citizens showed their mixed feelings about the change by draping their city hall with black crepe and flying the flag at half mast on the day of annexation.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I'm reminded of that BBC/RTÉ poll which found that:

quote:

In the Republic of Ireland, the 66% backing a united Ireland in their lifetime increased to 73% if it meant paying less tax, but fell back dramatically to 31% if it meant more tax.

In Northern Ireland, the 30% supporting a united Ireland in the long term increased to 32% if it meant less tax, and decreased to just 11% if it meant more tax.

This kind of polling result can of course swing rapidly once the shooting starts. This poses a problem for China, which presently prefers a soft-power approach of presenting economic arguments for folding into its orbit in Taiwan and ASEAN more generally - hence the camel-nose approach to the SCS disputes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The EU is the obvious example. A slow ratcheting of centralisation based around economic interests, with the rules around decision making ostensibly being fair but the reality of economic centres of gravity mean that the core imposes its will on the periphery.

Or the US.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
More Bert Hofman:

https://twitter.com/berthofmanecon/status/1530438627288682496

https://twitter.com/berthofmanecon/status/1530441564253605888

https://twitter.com/berthofmanecon/status/1530442125145305088

(previously featured in my earlier bullish-growth-projections post)

There is much here which is true but irrelevant - perhaps Hofman is too used to life in Singapore. There was a point in the late 1980s when bemused World Bank economists were startled at the degree of nervousness with which Beijing regarded to prospect of letting the price of matchsticks rise from two to three fen per box even as it was prepared to roll tanks on people. A strong central government is not strong in all ways at once. That may not have changed as much as observers may think, over the years.

Anyway:

https://twitter.com/michaelxpettis/status/1530488892755148801

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tomn posted:

Genuinely curious how many examples there are of nations willingly choosing to integrate with another nation due to economic benefits/pressure. I'm having trouble thinking of many - maaaaybe German reunification but that's as much political as economic I would have thought.

Germany did it I think three times. First was the creation of Germany, because there were a lot of smaller states that had been organizationally united under the HRE and still felt the need for a greater entity that could stand together. There was some kind of confederation system before, but Prussia managed to turn a war with France into a national unification process. Then after World War Two, East and West Germany were split and had to be reunited, but also France had been trying to peel off Saarland and that had to be formally reunited with the main country. I think maybe you could count Austria briefly reunifying with Germany under the Nazis, but that wasn't exactly peaceful even if it also wasn't exactly total conquest.

The United Kingdom was formed out of the peculiarities of old European feudalism where monarchs could hold multiple titles, but many of those didn't lead to the same kind of long-lasting unions as modern Britain (and even modern Spain, originally forged by personal unions, has more disunity problems than current Britain). I think the big bulletpoints as to how England and Scotland united were that England wanted security from Scotland allying with a European power against it and Scotland needed England to pay the bills after its own attempt at colonialism failed disastrously.

There are a couple countries that kinda forged themselves out of just a bunch of geographically close people standing up against outside influence. The Netherlands and Switzerland are what I think of for this. I don't think there was any history of a united Netherlands before they went Protestant and separated from Spain (and the entire Hapsburg Empire at the time), but they were united in maintaining the dykes. Switzerland had a weird birth where a bunch of mountain folk who hadn't been politically relevant for a while just united and slipped out from the HRE. Modern India could also be an example, because after the British leaving, the current state of India doesn't really reflect any pre-colonial borders of any former state on the subcontinent. You could argue that the United States was a case because even though the colonies had a common background they had to put in the work into uniting instead of going their own ways (which is what the former Spanish colonies in the Americas did). The US also has a weird history of late joiners, a couple groups that hadn't exactly been part of the rebellion against Britain (or in Vermont's case, had been purposefully excluded for New York reasons). Hawaii and Texas were brought into the union by American immigrants to the areas taking over, I don't know any examples of that happening elsewhere. Maybe in some parallel universe it could've happened with the Volga Germans, or Hawaii could've turned towards China or Japan instead from all its Asian immigrants.

But there's also other attempts at nationalistic (or pan-nationalistic, depending on your point of view) state unifications that I don't know very many details about. Italy put a lot of work into being born in its Risorgimento. Yugoslavia was an attempt to unite a bunch of southern slavic groups under their own commonalities, and it sorta worked until it didn't. Hard to say with these things.

And arguably the modern EU could count, but that gets confusing because there's lots of international organizations you'd have to consider for where the line is like NAFTA. There's clearly a lot of people trying to make a real unification of Europe, but there's also a lot of pushback and weird exceptions, like Switzerland is economically embedded into the thing, but financially and militarily it's independent.

In summary and an attempt to get back on the subject of China, I believe that there are a lot of advantages for groups to try unifying instead of splitting up into smaller groups that are less capable of handling themselves on the world stage against other large countries. I really like it as a concept! I like people choosing to cooperate together for a better world and future! But that's entirely contingent on them choosing to unite and whether they're capable of true cooperation. China's not a democracy, its government seems to feel no need for getting the consent and agreement of the people at large for its actions. It's also one of the physically and population-ly largest countries on the planet, and I get the impression that they have a difficulty doing right by all the groups and places under their jurisdiction, even the ones that they aren't outright involved in a project of oppression and genocide of. There's such an income inequality between provinces, I have my doubts as to how much the interests of various provinces are represented by the (by definition, non-representational) national government. What good could come to the people of Taiwan to be incorporated into that mess? I doubt that incorporating another unruly province would improve conditions for the people of inland China either.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
India involved a lot of conquest, like the annexation of Goa and Hyderabad/Various Princely States/Kashmir etc.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

It's like to reiterate that I'm very grateful for your contributions to the thread, ronya. While I certainly disagree with your bearishness on the PRC's future, you always go to great lengths to source your arguments. My only regret is that I honestly lack the knowledge to engage with what you post, as it is completely outside my wheelhouse

u good poster :)

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Imagine getting fired for doing your job.

Not sure how one could be particularly bullish about the PRC given its a totalitarian dictatorship currently committing genocide. The "trains run on time" dissonance when it comes "its the economy not the uighurs, stupid" is also based on a lie. The ecomomic non effect of zero covid and a world wide recession can easily be falsified by photography. Satellite images show major slow downs in ports and construction sites. The mettics gotta be hit so pixie dust and fairy tales make up the economic reports. Then when the air of believability is gone fire some local officails for polishing a turd too well.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Despera posted:

Not sure how one could be particularly bullish about the PRC given its a totalitarian dictatorship currently committing genocide.

I mean historically speaking more states have gotten away with genocide than have been punished for it.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
The specific passage from How China Escaped Shock Therapy: The Market Reform Debate, which a couple of other posters have praised also ITT:

quote:

Despite the new enthusiasm among China’s leaders aroused by the textile price example [liberalization of the price of cotton cloth and the rapid subsequent end to clothing shortages in 1983], which showed that people were prepared to accept price increases for some goods as long as the prices of close substitutes were falling, Wang warned that “in order to make reform safer, it should be avoided to make everybody feel the price reform.” (ibid.) For example, match producers had been recording losses for a long time. But everybody had to use matches every day for heating and cooking. Thus, even though matches appeared to be a small commodity, their price could not be raised without making people angry. Ma Hong, at the above-cited dinner, told Wood that people had grumbled when the price of high-quality matches was increased by 2 or 3 cents. [World Bank advisor Adrian] Wood scribbled in his notebook: “A communist dictatorship that cannot raise the price of matches by 2 cents.” The situation was different for products such as color TV sets. With these, one could have a sudden price liberalization, even at the risk of rising prices, without any larger consequence (ibid.).

The text if anything understates the extent to which the "price of matchsticks" issue resonated in China for many years, being an idiomatic analogue to quizzing politicians on the "price of milk" in the West (never mind heating and cooking; China has a lot of smokers).

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

A big flaming stink posted:

It's like to reiterate that I'm very grateful for your contributions to the thread, ronya. While I certainly disagree with your bearishness on the PRC's future, you always go to great lengths to source your arguments. My only regret is that I honestly lack the knowledge to engage with what you post, as it is completely outside my wheelhouse

u good poster :)

I don't feel like I'm suggesting anything deeper than "see what establishment subject matter experts and for that matter Chinese subject matter experts say about the problems China faces, what Beijing should do, and what Beijing is doing instead" really

For instance, the notion that the center evades responsibility for policy by specifying goals instead of procedures (regardless of whether those goals are achievable within realistic constraints) - and that the periphery provincial/municipal governments counteract through passive-aggressive apathy or misinterpretation until the center issues explicit instructions - is hardly novel. We regularly see the center emit condemnations of bureaucratic ideology 形式主义/官僚主义 or subversive and cheeky misinterpretations 低级红/高级黑. of broad goals.

Beijing is absolutely aware that this is a dynamic, as reported last year (during the happy time when covid containment was a roaring success):

https://twitter.com/michaelxpettis/status/1530829334310977537

So what Hofman reduces to a cheery bullet point - "specify the approved process from the center" - is impossible right out the gate. Instead observers have to count the number of times the CCDI goes after excessive lockdowns vs insufficient lockdowns to assess whether Beijing thinks measures are too harsh or too eased.

(I would disagree with Pettis's description there, by the by - it's not just intervention, but that extreme outcomes from accelerated promotion to dazzling heights, to utter destruction of your person and family, rest on these anticipating these interventions.)

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Despera posted:

Imagine getting fired for doing your job.

Not sure how one could be particularly bullish about the PRC given its a totalitarian dictatorship currently committing genocide. The "trains run on time" dissonance when it comes "its the economy not the uighurs, stupid" is also based on a lie. The ecomomic non effect of zero covid and a world wide recession can easily be falsified by photography. Satellite images show major slow downs in ports and construction sites. The mettics gotta be hit so pixie dust and fairy tales make up the economic reports. Then when the air of believability is gone fire some local officails for polishing a turd too well.

Such firings are also highly political, i.e. the actual reason for them is usually different. The central government of course knows that falsification is extremely common at the local level, but they tolerate it because it provides a convenient cover for when they need scapegoats.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
This describes a central government that has optimized itself to be highly resilient against the encroachment of reality.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
My sense is that the contemporary state of affairs is still better, in a given sense of the word, than one where the center doesn't know what is going on and struggles to get the periphery to listen to it without massive payoffs.

For a center freshly vigorated with all that sprawling power, though, the obvious question is what law-based governance 依法治国 and socialist rule-of-law 社会主义法治 is actually supposed to be as realized in some bureaucratic process resembling government. The Soviets struggled long and hard with a notion of "socialist legality" in their time, too (it would not be until late glasnost that this would be given any teeth, and well, we know what happened soon after). Beijing has taken suitable notes.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
This is fine.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/vtchakarova/status/1530856560074887169

Must be a nightmare zoom call

Is it me or does it seem like Xi is getting sidelined a bit? Kinda like Mao after the cultural revolution the ccp does occasionally has some capacity for course correction

Despera fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 29, 2022

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
If detailed Kremlinology tickles your nostalgia bones, have at it:

https://twitter.com/JunMai_Beijing/status/1530035649507495936

observe carefully that LKQ is a deficit hawk and blames much of China's decadal malaise on Wen Jiabao's response to 2008... cf the recent news to emphasize that Beijing has not and will not approve the use of healthcare insurance funds for routine Covid-19 tests, and that the current wave of tax reliefs will only be used to subsidize production and there will be no transfers to bankrupt muni/provincial govts.

https://twitter.com/caixin/status/1529818436464824321

https://twitter.com/vshih2/status/1530991561323909120

(The leaked minutes of the "meeting" - that is, broadcast - suggest that LKQ emphasized that all bandwidth for central transfers has been committed and nothing further can be added; local governments must take on debt instead)

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Shot

China’s foreign minister tells Pacific leaders ‘don’t be too anxious’ after they reject regional security pact
Several Pacific nations reportedly want to defer action on the draft agreement or have it amended

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/30/chinas-foreign-minister-to-meet-with-pacific-nations-amid-push-for-sweeping-regional-deal

quote:

Pacific countries have declined to sign up to a sweeping regional economic and security deal proposed by China, after a crucial meeting of Pacific foreign ministers and their Chinese counterpart on Monday.

China’s foreign minister Wang Yi is in the middle of a marathon tour of the region, visiting eight countries in 10 days, a trip that security experts have said represents a dramatic “uptick in tempo” of China’s push for influence in the region.

On Monday, Wang held a virtual summit in Fiji with foreign ministers from Pacific countries at which the region-wide deal was discussed. Several invited nations want to defer action on the draft communique or have it amended, an official from one Pacific country told Reuters.

Wang urged the Pacific region not to be “too anxious” about his country’s aims after the meeting was unable to agree on the pact.

The deal, which was leaked last week, covers everything from a free trade area with the region to providing humanitarian and Covid relief. It also lays out China’s vision for a much closer relationship with the Pacific, especially on security matters, with China proposing it would be involved in training police, cybersecurity, sensitive marine mapping and gaining greater access to natural resources.

After the meeting – which included Samoa, Tonga, Kiribati, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Niue and Vanuatu – Wang said the nations had agreed on five areas of cooperation but further discussions were needed to shape more consensus.

The five areas he listed included economic recovery after the Covid pandemic, and new centres for agriculture and disaster, but did not include security.

“China will release its own position paper on our own positions and propositions and cooperation proposals with Pacific island countries, and going forward we will continue to have ongoing and in-depth discussions and consultations to shape more consensus on cooperation,” he told reporters in Fiji. Questions at the media briefing were not allowed.

Wang said some had questioned China’s motives in being so active in the Pacific islands, and his response was China supported developing countries in Africa, Asia and the Caribbean also.

“Don’t be too anxious and don’t be too nervous, because the common development and prosperity of China and all the other developing countries would only mean great harmony, greater justice and greater progress of the whole world,” he said.

At a press event after the meeting, attended by Wang and Fiji’s prime minister Frank Bainimarama, China confirmed the deal had been shelved for now.

China’s ambassador to Fiji said that while there had been “general support” for the agreement among foreign ministers, it had been put aside after some Pacific countries voiced concerns.

Bainimarama also alluded to dissent among some countries at the meeting, saying the group had a “consensus first” approach. After the meeting, Wang said that China would release a position paper to shape consensus and cooperation.

Australia’s foreign minister, Penny Wong, said on Monday evening “it’s up to the countries of the region to make choices for their people”.

“The security of the Pacific is the responsibility of the Pacific family, of which Australia is a part,” she said in a statement.

“And we want to help build a stronger Pacific family. Australia will always work with the Pacific family to address shared security challenges, which is why we will boost support for Pacific maritime security and increase defence cooperation. We want to bring new energy and more resources to the Pacific.”

The rejection of the deal comes after Wang touched down in Fiji on Friday as part of a diplomatic tour through the region. He met with Bainimarama on Monday, a summit that both leaders said had been successful.

The two countries signed at least three agreements after the meeting, which Wang said would expand cooperation over the economy, trade, agriculture, fisheries, tourism, civil aviation, education, law enforcement, and emergency management.

Wang said on Monday that China would provide assistance to Pacific Island countries with “no political strings attached”. [:lol:]

Bainimarama reaffirmed the importance of climate change to the Pacific, saying that Pacific nations were not interested in “geopolitical point-scoring” given the threats of climate change and the pandemic. He said he had urged China to make stronger commitments on the climate crisis, something he does when dealing with all major economies.

The leak of the proposed regional deal came just one month after the signing of a controversial bilateral security deal between Solomon Islands and China, which caused huge alarm across the west and prompted high-level diplomatic visits from Australia, New Zealand and the US, all of whom sought to urge the Solomon Islands government not to sign it.

Solomon Islands was Wang’s first stop on his eight-country tour last week before he went on to Kiribati and met with the president, Taneti Maamau.

A Kiribati official, who was not authorised to speak to media, said the pair had discussed fisheries, education and health, as well as trade and tourism opportunities, and that a security arrangement between the countries was not on the cards.

Samoa, which Wang visited on Saturday, signed a bilateral agreement with China promising “greater collaboration”. The details of the deal have not yet emerged.

The Samoan government confirmed in a press release on Saturday that Wang and the Samoan prime minister, Fiame Naomi Mata’afa, had met and discussed “climate change, the pandemic and peace and security”.

Local media were invited to witness the signing of a deal, but no questions were taken.

The Samoan release said China would continue to provide infrastructural development support to various Samoan sectors and there would be a new framework for future projects “to be determined and mutually agreed”.

After Fiji, Wang is scheduled to visit Tonga, Vanuatu, Papua New Guinea and Timor-Leste.

In a duel for influence, Australia’s new foreign minister Wong was in Fiji on Friday, reaffirming Australia’s commitment to the region and promoting the new government’s more ambitious targets on emissions reduction. Climate change, which is an acute existential threat to Pacific island nations, has been a point of tension in the relationship between the Pacific and Australia, which has been seen as a laggard on climate action.

The prime minister of Fiji praised Wong after the meeting, saying he had a “wonderful meeting” with her after she travelled to the country in her first solo overseas visit since being sworn in.

Nice to see Australia's new government starting off trying to mend fences with regards to climate change and policy.

And now the chaser.

‘Tragically ugly’ school textbook causes social media outcry in China
Education ministry orders publisher to rectify illustrations of children deemed inappropriate

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/30/tragically-ugly-school-textbook-social-media-outcry-china

quote:

China’s education ministry has ordered a state-owned publisher to rectify a school textbook that went viral owing to what social media users described as “tragically ugly” and inappropriate depictions of children.

The mathematics books published by the People’s Education Press contain illustrations of people with distorted faces and bulging pants. Boys are seen grabbing girls’ skirts and one child appears to have a leg tattoo.

The books are reportedly used in elementary schools across the country, from Shandong province in the north-east to Yunnan in the south.

Photos of the pictures went viral on China’s social media. Related hashtags had been viewed more than 4bn times by Monday and millions of comments were left beneath posts.

Some social media users came to the conclusion that the artwork was deliberately bad and provocative, noting a backwards Chinese flag in one instance and some clothing in the colour combination of the US flag, according to a report on the social media monitor website What’s On Weibo.

One commenter described the illustrations as “evil” and warned of a “worrying” future where “the education department is infiltrated by the west, and the textbooks are manipulated by the people who have infiltrated the system”.

Others were aggrieved that more talented artists had not been hired for the work.

One commenter said the textbook was about a decade old and that complaints had been raised before, but less attention was paid to the issue.

“The core [problem] is still that no one takes responsibility,” they wrote. “This is the cultural annihilation of the country, the awakening is too late, and the cost of auditing crimes is too low.”

Sign up to First Edition, our free daily newsletter – every weekday morning at 7am BST

A teacher from a Qingpu district school in Shanghai posted several photos online and said the images failed to convey “the innocence, self-motivation and sunshine of Chinese children”.

In response to the outcry, the ministry of education said it had launched a review of all textbooks for primary and secondary schools, focusing on content and illustration, “to ensure that the textbooks adhere to the correct political direction and value orientation, promote the excellent Chinese culture, and conform to the aesthetic habits of the public”.

It said it had instructed the publisher to “immediately rectify” the textbook, and invited feedback from the public.

The illustrations are genuinely hilariously bad and the artist was definitely loving around: https://www.whatsonweibo.com/chinese-elementary-school-textbook-triggers-controversy-for-being-tragically-ugly/

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

How are u posted:

Shot

China’s foreign minister tells Pacific leaders ‘don’t be too anxious’ after they reject regional security pact
Several Pacific nations reportedly want to defer action on the draft agreement or have it amended

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/30/chinas-foreign-minister-to-meet-with-pacific-nations-amid-push-for-sweeping-regional-deal

Nice to see Australia's new government starting off trying to mend fences with regards to climate change and policy.

Real "Im down to gently caress but no girls wanna get with." energy. You mean nobody wants to get in bed with your mitary alliance on the first date? Wonder why they are all anxious?

Hopefully by the time the chinese figure out diplomacy 101 south pacific nato will be more or less complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Stringent posted:

Maybe start beating the pound, champ

https://twitter.com/AlecStapp/status/1531425341687877632