Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've been playng that new Lego Star Wars game and it's really neat if not a bit shallow (hey it's a kids game that's on me for playing it as an old). One thing that's really cool is that it uses almost all official sets for the vehicles. And since I'm in the original trilogy I've had literally every set featured so far lol. It makes me wonder though, did the designers rebuild all of those sets digitally from the ground up or did they just use a designer file to import them into the game? I'm assuming the latter. Still works super well as an effect though. It's really cool being reduced to minifigure scale and standing next to the UCS Falcon like it's a full scale Falcon.

Also there are little deep cut easter eggs lying around for Lego SW nerds. The people who made this really know Lego.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

xzzy posted:

I'm not mad about snot at all, I think all snot builds are fantastic and I try to snot everything myself.

I'm just complaining that lego seems to be taking shortcuts by making a lot more tiny pieces to facilitate it. Which I get, some of it would be impossible without new molds. But it kinda feels like cheating.

(if they really want to make new molds, where's our tile wedges and wedges without stud notches??)

I don't find the 1x1 parts and snot stuff to be shortcuts (I would love a 1x1x2/3 with a side stud), but I do find the over-reliance on clips to be a shortcut, and a kinda fragile one at that. There are a few sets I've avoided for using clips to bear too much load (Voltron comes to mind).

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I try not to drown this thread in BYGGLEK nonsense, but here are two (of four) designs I'm working on right now that I'm kinda proud of:

Space Shuttle:

Viking Longship:

The Space Shuttle is out on Rebrickable, the Longship may be a few days though.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

countachs and f40s and optimus primes. what's the next decade of lego gonna be, miatas hummers and power rangers?

speaking of the countach, is 6326478 a new part? it looks like a promising base for robot hands

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 28, 2022

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

The Voice of Labor posted:

countachs and f40s and optimus primes. what's the next decade of lego gonna be, miatas hummers and power rangers?

Dunno... aside from Batman the Animated Series and Doom what actually happened in the 90s?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Dunno... aside from Batman the Animated Series and Doom what actually happened in the 90s?

Literally nothing and it was the best decade of anyone that was alive for it!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

I’d be all over a Creator Expert Miata or RX-7

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lego Seaquest DSV, one of the many tv shows show about how our future was all environmentalism and living under the sea and poo poo! :v:

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I try not to drown this thread in BYGGLEK nonsense, but here are two (of four) designs I'm working on right now that I'm kinda proud of:

I really like the longship. These are alternate builds of the ikea bygglek set? Did you pick one up or are you doing it all digitally?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Destroyenator posted:

I really like the longship. These are alternate builds of the ikea bygglek set? Did you pick one up or are you doing it all digitally?

I go back and forth - usually I start a design physical, and once I have something close to what I want I digitize it then go back and forth making adjustments. Physical is better for figuring out what I can do structurally with the part set, digital is about more easily moving around different colors of the same pieces to see what works the best. I'll usually make a few more changes when designing and testing the instructions too.

It's a great set, I have a ton of alt builds (of varying quality) for it on Rebrickable. I don't have a lot of space, and the set is small and wonderfully versatile.

https://rebrickable.com/sets/40357-1/bygglek/?inventory=1#alt_builds

I released the Space Shuttle a few days ago, next up is (probably) an Aquarium (I'm not super thrilled with it but it's as good as it's getting), then I have a small Treehouse (waiting on instructions and testing), and the Longship (waiting on the same).

These come in bursts, I probably won't do any after those 4 until Fall, but I never know.

Anyway, get a BYGGLEK![/advertisement]

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

xzzy posted:

Literally nothing and it was the best decade of anyone that was alive for it!

80s were better. Because they were about the same except the movies and music in the 80s put the 90s to shame.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gonna get my Chevy SSR! :toot:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
NSX? 2nd gen Supra? Viper? There's actually lots of cool 90s cars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Creator Expert 1995 Ford Taurus.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Waltzing Along posted:

80s were better. Because they were about the same except the movies and music in the 80s put the 90s to shame.

That's an opinion you're legally permitted to have I suppose.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I’d be all over a Creator Expert Miata or RX-7

I have the CADA Initial D licensed FC and FD in that scale and they’re a little janky but hey, I have Lego RX-7s.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Went to the LEGO store today saw the van Gogh in person and ehhhh

I guess I really just don't like how far out into the foreground the stuff sticks out compared to how big (small) the actual painting is

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Creator Expert 1995 Ford Taurus.

I learned to drive in a 1997 Ford Aerostar, and I would absolutely buy a Speed Champions or Technic set of one. And yes, I am the only person who would!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Space Jam posted:

I learned to drive in a 1997 Ford Aerostar, and I would absolutely buy a Speed Champions or Technic set of one. And yes, I am the only person who would!

My family had a 1992 Toyota Previa for 20+ years that was the family car and then the first car of us kids, so same but for that.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Went to a lego store recently, unfortunately they did not have any of the new castle minifigures in the build a minifigure section, they said they were due for a shipment in two weeks. Got some little sets for my kids though since I was there, the store guy was kind enough to throw in the amusement park bonus set as a "sorry we were out of what you were looking for", so that was really nice. Got a couple things for upcoming birthdays.

Also stopped by my folks' house and picked up a bunch of my old sets for my kids, my son can't get enough of the fire truck that came with this fire station (https://brickset.com/sets/6571-1/Flame-Fighters). All the little details, the supplies in, plus the extendable ladder.

I can definitely notice though that older sets weren't as sturdy as newer sets are now. The older fire truck from that set is basically 3 separate sections on the plate with the wheels, too much pressure and they come apart.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Had my At-Ap on the shelf for awhile and started to realize I hated how fat it was

So rebuilt the top gun into rocket launchers, took off the side armor and made foldable Jeep style doors, took off third leg, redid the front armor and that little wiener gun it had down there.

At-La Light Artillery

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 29, 2022

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

Went to the LEGO store today saw the van Gogh in person and ehhhh

I guess I really just don't like how far out into the foreground the stuff sticks out compared to how big (small) the actual painting is

I haven't yet seen it in person but it's funny you say that because the depth of the model is what I found most exciting in the photos, it's like a woodcut

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
It a fine if it’s standing on a table but I can see how far it sticks out being a problem if it’s wall-mounted (which is what I wanted to do with it).

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I really really like it from the front but seen from the side it's kinda ridiculous. I feel like the depth should be a lot shallower, and there didn't need to be a huge gap between the foreground and background.

Granted if I bought it I could probably build it "flatter" without too much difficulty I'd imagine.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mameluke posted:

I haven't yet seen it in person but it's funny you say that because the depth of the model is what I found most exciting in the photos, it's like a woodcut

It's not, though

That's what I thought too

It's got about 50% depth to height and that's without the little van Gogh platform added on

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Maybe $10 on Bricklink and you could easily mod that frame to be deeper and still maintain the image of depth. Another five black bricks up and you've basically made a shadowbox.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm a huge nerd for Stranger Things, and I'm reposting the minifigs I've cobbled together over the years since the new season is out. I made some of the characters before the official set was released, so some of those are repeated.

Robin is a custom print from some company that I picked up from my local Bricks and Minifigs, I made her sign with a waterslide decal. The torsos for Steve and Mr. Clark came from Citizen Brick. Erica's flashlight helmet is kragled together. Dustin's hat and gapped teeth are real pieces painted by hand. All the rest of the pieces are made from authentic Lego.

deoju fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 30, 2022

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Yeah, I think this is sick as hell. I still want it badly.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Destroyenator posted:

Longship instructions are up now, get your BYGGLEK!

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-113119/mattking4/bygglek-viking-longship/#details

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Lego have extended the Cardboard Adventures promo to June 16th. I guess they’ve still got a ton sitting in the warehouse.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

veni veni veni posted:

I've been playng that new Lego Star Wars game and it's really neat if not a bit shallow (hey it's a kids game that's on me for playing it as an old). One thing that's really cool is that it uses almost all official sets for the vehicles. And since I'm in the original trilogy I've had literally every set featured so far lol. It makes me wonder though, did the designers rebuild all of those sets digitally from the ground up or did they just use a designer file to import them into the game? I'm assuming the latter. Still works super well as an effect though. It's really cool being reduced to minifigure scale and standing next to the UCS Falcon like it's a full scale Falcon.

Also there are little deep cut easter eggs lying around for Lego SW nerds. The people who made this really know Lego.

There's a bunch of stuff in the games they make just for the games. The Microfighters are clear examples - some are real, but some like the jango/boba ship I can't find anywhere. People in here have helped me build replicas of stuff from other games before and the micro builds are frankly great for kid play

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Regarding the Starry Night depth conversation, a person on Reddit is displaying theirs without the black frame, just sitting on a ledge, which I thought was quite interesting.

It definitely helps make the landscape make more sense as a 3D entity, though I do miss the frame. I wonder how it would look with just the sides and top of the frame? Maybe too weird.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Perhaps the frame could be continued/ extended horizontally under the bottom scene

Fwiw, I think it looks a lot better sitting there than just hanging out in space with that massive gap between the foreground and background. Probably also true if you have a wall space that can't really be seen from the side. It's not the depth so much as the gap I don't like upon further reflection

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

The Bloop posted:

Perhaps the frame could be continued/ extended horizontally under the bottom scene

Fwiw, I think it looks a lot better sitting there than just hanging out in space with that massive gap between the foreground and background. Probably also true if you have a wall space that can't really be seen from the side. It's not the depth so much as the gap I don't like upon further reflection

I saw a version online that I now can't find, where they extended the town even further horizontally with a couple little streets full of houses, and left off the frame, and honestly thought it looked good, with the X and Y axes more balanced and purposeful.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Apparently they're rebranding the various 18+ lines as Lego Icons. I can see that change making sense from an optics standpoint, especially after the backlash of having the Everyone Is Awesome set released with that branding.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Jazz Quartet is coming soon(already in some stores apparently). $99 USD according to the person who found it which is an excellent price/part ratio

Looks good but some of the changes from the original Ideas submission are a straight downgrade imo

RatHat fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 31, 2022

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The render in the Ideas submission has the glossiness turned up to 11.

Also guessing they didn’t want to do an all male band.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Quite like that piano player, honestly. Like, the model is p cool. Cooler than the OG one which I also liked tbf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
It's the proportions, man. The original had this stylization to the characters that somehow imbued them with the jazz lounge spirit. The official set is neat, and the instruments look better, but the character models have been chunkified such that they lose that stylistic verve they had in the submitted version. It's probably more structurally stable, but it lends the finished product a more cartoonish than cool air.