Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Wow Yor's brother sucks so bad hahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Eggplant Squire posted:

To be fair he's very drunk and literally out of his mind.

missed opportunity tbh for him to react in a much funnier way. "Omg are you so deeply in love that even a single touch is like a electric shock!?"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I appreciate that "terrible drunk" is a Briar family trait. Also "kind of an idiot that buys bad stories".

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Eggplant Squire posted:

Given that he's a cop

This episode ended in a way that had me yell "Motherfuckers HAD to stop it there!"

That's how I know: show good

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Yor repeatedly coming home soaked in murderblood and bringing gifts to her brother, and him STILL being clueless, is just priceless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sephyr posted:

Yor repeatedly coming home soaked in murderblood and bringing gifts to her brother, and him STILL being clueless, is just priceless.

It's not blood, it's victory wine.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sephyr posted:

Yor I'm discovering must emit some kind of Doctor Who-esque perception filter; because this episode confirms that yes, Loylyd can indeed Sherlock scan and deduce from a single conversation a bro's entire life story but still has no clue about Yor other than "pretty girl go brr".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yor I'm discovering must emit some kind of Doctor Who-esque perception filter; because this episode confirms that yes, Loylyd can indeed Sherlock scan and deduce from a single conversation a bro's entire life story but still has no clue about Yor other than "pretty girl go brr".

I've basically always read it that Yor being so utterly genuine in her dumbness throws it off. Loid can read someone trying to lie or hide things like a book because he recognizes signs of deception and falsehoods. Yor on the other hand is extremely extremely genuine to the point where Loid has no reason to actually suspect her because she isn't acting. She just happens to be an assassin in addition to an adorable drunk dumbass.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

She's just too dumb to be suspicious. Nobody else could get away with such ridiculous lies but you can totally buy it of her.

Also, Yuri is definitely bad but he's a funny bad. I like his delusion on assuming his body is tingling from love instead of his broken ribs.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Huh, I assume the episode released online for some people to say there's discussion of it, but Crunchyroll has a counter up saying it'll be another hour before it'll be live for me even though I'm logged in and I presume my account is still paid up and active. Anyone any idea why?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sephyr posted:

It's fine. It's not her blood.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Blood is good. You need blood to live. If Yor comes home from work with some extra blood in her (or on her, same thing) that's just a perk of a clearly health-conscious work environment.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

tsob posted:

Huh, I assume the episode released online for some people to say there's discussion of it, but Crunchyroll has a counter up saying it'll be another hour before it'll be live for me even though I'm logged in and I presume my account is still paid up and active. Anyone any idea why?

The dub episodes drop at 5:30 Eastern, maybe that's it?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If John le Carre wrote a sitcom it would probably be pretty close to this.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Nephthys posted:

She's just too dumb to be suspicious. Nobody else could get away with such ridiculous lies but you can totally buy it of her.

Also, Yuri is definitely bad but he's a funny bad. I like his delusion on assuming his body is tingling from love instead of his broken ribs.

Yeah, pretty much. The whole "that person has been married for a year not none of the people around her, including her only other familym member, had no idea? ..... oh Yor, what are we gonna do with you!" vibe works in the context of the show.

Everyone is hyper-comptent at what they do, but also have a key weakness that makes the situation juuust plausible enough to go on and be funny. For Twilight, it's basic, earnest human contact. For Yor, life dynamics beyond concealing her cover. For Yuri, anything involving his big sister, so much so that he can't pin down the one person he utterly -wants- to nab on something;

And Anya who is all weak spots, but has a story-breaking power that she misuses for exta amusement.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arist posted:

The dub episodes drop at 5:30 Eastern, maybe that's it?

It's not dropping till 22:30 GMT for me, but it usually drops at 16:30 GMT; so it's going live 6 hours late today for some reason. Which seems odd, since it was presumably live the normal time in at least some other areas.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Well it turns out I was correct that Yuri was going to be a siscon character, but at least it's been tame so far. He's framed a lot more as just being totally blindsided by his sister suddenly being married to a stranger without him having known.

I wonder if this little incident is going to cause Loid to try and get closer to Yor to sure up the veneer of their marriage to outsiders. Being flustered over incidentally touching hands definitely does not scream "married for a year."

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sydin posted:

Well it turns out I was correct that Yuri was going to be a siscon character, but at least it's been tame so far. He's framed a lot more as just being totally blindsided by his sister suddenly being married to a stranger without him having known.

I wonder if this little incident is going to cause Loid to try and get closer to Yor to sure up the veneer of their marriage to outsiders. Being flustered over incidentally touching hands definitely does not scream "married for a year."

But hand holding!!! :blush:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I don't really have anything to add, it was a really good episode. I always like it when Anya pipes in with "mama and papa are flirting," it's very good.

SexyBlindfold posted:

Blood is good. You need blood to live. If Yor comes home from work with some extra blood in her (or on her, same thing) that's just a perk of a clearly health-conscious work environment.

:hmmyes:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like that Yuri not only believes Loid can stop a meteor, but doubts that can could actually stop one himself. I mean he's incredibly drunk, but still.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I just realized that the page for Spy x Family was defaulting to the English dub now, rather than the sub. So that's why it wasn't going live for 6 hours. The regular episode was live, once I switched page. Whoops :ignorance:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Electric Phantasm posted:

I like that Yuri not only believes Loid can stop a meteor, but doubts that can could actually stop one himself. I mean he's incredibly drunk, but still.

The manga translated it as "a bullet or a nuke" but yeah, same effect. The Briar family seems to be very no thoughts head empty when in their off time.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Being a siscon is an extremely tired trope, but it works for SpyxFamily because everyone is a weirdo which is why I like Yuri more than I should. Being a siscon makes him a dumbass and dumbass=funny.

This show funny :hmmyes:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Everyone calling Yor "dumb" should get a sixer for that poo poo. :colbert:

She is sincere and genuine and earnest and perfect, and gently caress all of you!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Everyone calling Yor "dumb" should get a sixer for that poo poo. :colbert:

She is sincere and genuine and earnest and perfect, and gently caress all of you!

Yor is sincere, and also as dumb as a box of hammers. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Loid is being run through the wringer and stretched about as thin as possible, so it makes sense that he's only going to effort in places where he's almost sure it's necessary. Even if Yuri weren't secret police the marriage has to hold up that much better to him than a casual observer because he's part of Yor's family. So yeah Loid would look into him and as a result put the pieces together that Yuri is part of the SS. And even then he still only had a hunch that wasn't confirmed until Yuri slipped up and used a cover story verbatim out of a intelligence agent training manual.

Yor meanwhile is clearly a ridiculously good fighter - way better than you'd expect some rando office worker to be - but up until now she's only ever use that strength to directly protect Loid and/or Anya, except one time she was drunk off her rear end. She's also only ever lied to Loid out of omission wrt her being an assassin, and otherwise everything she's fed him about her reasons for accepting the marriage (not wanting to be seen as suspicious, wanting to put her brother's mind at ease) are genuine. If the assassin bit were the only reason and she was actively feeding Loid bullshit he'd probably catch on fairly quickly. So to Loid her reasons for sticking around are legit and her super strength is weird but is at worst not relevant to his mission and at best a potential asset.

Also from Loid's perspective he did have Yor investigated when putting the bachelorette list together and nothing alarming came up. Considering the same report had pretty detailed tidbits about other candidate's participation in subversive politics and family issues it was a pretty thorough investigation and it just stands to reason there isn't really anything in the way of existing intel to even hint at Yor's secret identity.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sydin posted:

Loid is being run through the wringer and stretched about as thin as possible, so it makes sense that he's only going to effort in places where he's almost sure it's necessary. Even if Yuri weren't secret police the marriage has to hold up that much better to him than a casual observer because he's part of Yor's family. So yeah Loid would look into him and as a result put the pieces together that Yuri is part of the SS. And even then he still only had a hunch that wasn't confirmed until Yuri slipped up and used a cover story verbatim out of a intelligence agent training manual.

Yor meanwhile is clearly a ridiculously good fighter - way better than you'd expect some rando office worker to be - but up until now she's only ever use that strength to directly protect Loid and/or Anya, except one time she was drunk off her rear end. She's also only ever lied to Loid out of omission wrt her being an assassin, and otherwise everything she's fed him about her reasons for accepting the marriage (not wanting to be seen as suspicious, wanting to put her brother's mind at ease) are genuine. If the assassin bit were the only reason and she was actively feeding Loid bullshit he'd probably catch on fairly quickly. So to Loid her reasons for sticking around are legit and her super strength is weird but is at worst not relevant to his mission and at best a potential asset.

Also from Loid's perspective he did have Yor investigated when putting the bachelorette list together and nothing alarming came up. Considering the same report had pretty detailed tidbits about other candidate's participation in subversive politics and family issues it was a pretty thorough investigation and it just stands to reason there isn't really anything in the way of existing intel to even hint at Yor's secret identity.

Stasi.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Hell doesn't it even translate directly into one of the names of the Stasi?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Anya has had the best faces in the show so far, but I think Loid's expression when he was listening to Yor tell Yuri that she forgot to tell him was up there with some of hers.

Show good

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

Yor is sincere, and also as dumb as a box of hammers. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

She takes "having a particular set of skills" to its logical conclusion, where she's pretty good at communicating with children and whatever her office work entails, and ridiculously good at fighting and murder. Everything else, like lying and cooking and apparently elementary school math, falls outside of that purview and so she's not really great at it.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 29, 2022

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yor has big Goku energy. And so does Yuri, by the looks of it.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yuri is a cop, which already puts him in the predisposition of being unhinged.

edit; but also take into account that Yor raising him by herself where at some point she broke two of his ribs hugging him probably contributed too so

Compendium fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 29, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Always get a big laugh at how Yor and Loid's fake bedroom puts both of the sex pillows at yes.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

kirtar posted:

Hell doesn't it even translate directly into one of the names of the Stasi?

Yup

State Security Service

Staatssicherheitsdienst

Stasi

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I wonder if this will end will Yor coming clean that the marriage is more for making sure she is not noticed by state police, and that will cause Yuri to have a moment of clarity that his job is making it harder for people like Yor (being a secret assassin aside) and would make him less of an rear end in a top hat.

That is unrealistic of course. But the only good cop is a fictional one so...:v:

EDIT: Also apparently it has been a year?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

They back dated the marriage license

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Always get a big laugh at how Yor and Loid's fake bedroom puts both of the sex pillows at yes.

Well of course, after all...

Unlucky7 posted:

No, Loid got their marriage backdated a year so it wouldn't be quite so obvious that their marriage was a sham to get Anya into school

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Yor told Yuri over the phone that she had a partner for the party before she had even met Loid. Yuri said he'd ask Dominic about Yor's partner later. Dominic was at the party when Loid announced that he was Yor's husband, and Dominic was the guy at the end of last episode that told Yuri that his sister was married. It hasn't actually been a year since Operation Strix got underway.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hmm

Is Anya representative of autism or ADHD or some other neurodivergence

Her psychic powers being a cacophony in crowds seems awfully similar to overstimulation

She has trouble learning unless it’s presented to her in different ways

She’s often not listening to what people are saying to her because she’s thinking really hard about something else

Edit: VVV good point

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Steve Yun posted:

Hmm

Is Anya representative of autism or ADHD or some other neurodivergence

Her psychic powers being a cacophony in crowds seems awfully similar to overstimulation

She has trouble learning unless it’s presented to her in different ways

She’s often not listening to what people are saying to her because she’s thinking really hard about something else

She's 4